WHY do you want long hair?

unalteredone

I feel like long hair is easier to make look good without much effort. For example, right now, if i put my hair in a side ponytail, it just looks kind of sad and small, but it could be a really cute or even sexy style with length added to it. I also think that longer hair flatters my face better. Also i want to be able to have big bouncy curls without looking like a fluffy mushroom.

Solitude

See! Each person has a unique answer. I'm enjoying reading all the responses. Thanks, everyone. You guys have made me feel much better....And next time, I will keep my mouth shut and just let people SEE the results.

I didn't like how she associated chemicals with long hair when there are so many naturals with beautiful, healthy long hair. *sigh* oh well

SimpleKomplexity

I just hate it when people tell you, you can't do something. Whether you can't be this because of this, or something is unattainable. I love to prove people wrong. I am naturally argumentative. I want to grow my hair longer as proof that things can be done with patience and diligence. I want my hair to be symbolic of me. I am growing on the inside slowly and steadily. Sometimes old habits get trimmed off, but they are always replaced with new fresh ones. Just like my hair grows little by little each month, I do too spiritually and mentally

Solitude

I just hate it when people tell you, you can't do something. Whether you can't be this because of this, or something is unattainable. I love to prove people wrong. I am naturally argumentative. I want to grow my hair longer as proof that things can be done with patience and diligence. I want my hair to be symbolic of me. I am growing on the inside slowly and steadily. Sometimes old habits get trimmed off, but they are always replaced with new fresh ones. Just like my hair grows little by little each month, I do too spiritually and mentally

Wow! You put it so well. Part of me wants to combat the stereotype that WE can't grow long hair. :smirk:

The spiritual side of me is growing and learning patience. :rolleyes:

As far as the shallow side of me...my BF likes my hair & compliments it often, but I know he would LOVE my hair longer. :love:

FluffyRed

I always envied big afro puffs in elementary school.

My hair broke off repeatedly when I was young and my mom and sister each had MBL hair when they were young

I think long hair is an extension of one's beauty (think Maxwell with his big from and now with the short cut... Gary Dourdan with his "Shaza" locks and with his smaller fro)

Maybe there's some social programming in it (I think the media makes us obsess over hair) but I've been napptural and I love my own nappy texture, but I just want big hair.

Like someone said before - it's pretty. :yep:

wannabelong

1) I want a change.
2) I got tired of going to the salon every two weeks, sometimes every week to maintain my short haircut.
3) To prove my DH wrong!!!!!

Dposh167

....because i want my styles to look better. when my hair gets longer...the better my braidouts, air dry, bantu knots, etc will look. there's more definition when there is length. so that's why i want it

RegaLady

I may be going against the norm, but I have always had wanted long hair in my youth, but fell in love with shorter hair.:look: But, then again I like unconventional beauty. I want to grow my hair longer, because as I am growing up, I want a little bang, and longer hair. DH doesn't care either way. So, I am not doing this for him. I got plenty attention with shorter hair, so I am not doing it for attention. I guess I want something different. That's it!!!:grin:

Cichelle

Because long hair is beautiful.
Because long hair is easier.
Because I like updos.
Because I want a silver braid down my back when I get old.
Because long hair looks better on me.

Just because.

luvn_life

I like long hair because its always been a preference of mine. I think short and medium length hair doesn't compliment my style. But, not to say I don't like short hair at all because I think it looks sooooo super cute on others who rock it. But, sometimes I can be lazy and I need my ponies. :)

gloomgeisha

Because I was one of those little girls that used to put a tee-shirt on her head and flip it around like it was my hair. I always fantasized about having long hair, but never thought I could achieve it. Now I know I can...so I will. With gusto.

Solitude

Because I was one of those little girls that used to put a tee-shirt on her head and flip it around like it was my hair. I always fantasized about having long hair, but never thought I could achieve it. Now I know I can...so I will. With gusto.

OMG, this is enough to make me cry! Seriously.

I used to do the same thing.

NOEChic

I may not always be right, but I'm never wrong.
i used a towel or a sheet:lachen:

doll-baby

I want long hair because I find that it is more flattering on me than short hair. Also because I have not had long hair since I was 5 and I want to prove to my self and everyone else that I can have healthy, thick, long hair.

LongCurlyLocks

Long hair is pretty and better looking on me. About half or better of my life my hair has been long. Short hair just doesn't suit me. So really I'm going back to what I originally had and hopefully it will stay that way...

*Muffin*

Long hair, to me, is very attractive and versatile. You can pull off a lot of different looks with it, from alluring to playful; understated to formal--It's just great. I also love hair ornaments and I like spending time playing in my hair. But I think the biggest reason I want long hair is just to prove to people that black women can have long, healthy hair. I just want to put an end to people's stereotypes.

Last edited:

Ramya

bored with short hair and i miss the luxery of wearing 2 pigtails and it actually looking like I styled my hair :lol:

jerjer29

i think some people see it as a beauty standard..but in all honesty i've never had truly long hair, and i just want to try it.

i find people who have had long hair dont really care about it too much lol but those of us who haven't it's just something we want to experience. and plus i just see long hair as just so glamorous lol and u have NO IDEA how BAD i want to do a hair flip haha

Qetesh

depends on the def of long.

when i first joined this site i was probably at brastrap and wanted waist or hip... once i actually got to waistlength i didnt care anymore and it was too much work to deal with plus it being that long to me isnt all that flattering ..so i got it cut to shoulder length

i still want long hair just not that long, unless i am really gonna make sure i take care of it. right now i jus want it to be a healthy midback length or brastrap somewhere inbetween.

i want it cuz i like how it looks on me. for some reason i feel like long healthy hair is jus more attractive and it makes you look healthy.

discodumpling

Just cause I want it.

Lately when people ask about my hair I don't offer much (if any)info...The proof is on my head.

Menina Preta

First, your hair came out nice.

Second, I want long hair, b/c I'm tired of having the same hair length for the past ten years or so...My hair has always been around APL and while that's considered long-ish by some, I want hair that's long by almost everyone's standards, LOL. Also, I just want a change. I don't want to cut it or color it though, so trying to grow it is the only option.

About people asking why I want long hair...Hmm, that's never happened to me, b/c I never tell people, except for my boyfriend, that I want my hair to grow longer and that I'm taking active steps to get it. Besides my boyfriend and little sister, no one else knows I'm a member of this site. I'm an Aries and we're prone to starting and stopping things, so I don't want to hear any flack from anyone if I fall off the hair bandwagon and return to the Dominicans. :lachen:

Menina Preta

I did that too, but instead of a tee, I'd use my mom's black silk slip. :look:

infojunkie

I left the hospital with enough hair to make thick, lush ponytails so unfortunately I took it for granted. But I've always had thick lush hair, I just can't remember it being longer than shoulder length. (My mom says it was brastrap length at it's longest.)

I never met my MIL and my DH doesn't talk about her very often but inevitably when he does he almost always says something about her hair. He doesn't know it and I don't know if I'll tell him until I reach my desired length but I want to grow my out for him in honor of his mother.

I know it's capable of growing to BSL but the challenge will be to see how much further it can go beyond that.