• Nope, never considered it

Votes: 200 19.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Khadija.D.Carryl

good morning,

I'll fill in the gaps.

2. You can add cassia but keep in mind the color tone of the henna might not be as an intense red if you are looking for as red as possible especially for on dark hair then use straight henna. Usually on lighter colored hair you can see the difference when using cassia and henna together.

5. I wanted to add that you don't necessarily have to let it sit for 8 hours. This depends on which type of henna you are using. For Jamila yes overnight is good. For indian or yemeni about 6-8 hours, but I really only mix my indian henna up and use after 2 hours myself and it still is fine. For moroccan henna it is the quickest so never let it sit more then 6 hours at all. It's best to use that within 1-2 hours of mixing.

Hope this helps and happy henna'ing!

NaturalJoy

good morning,

I'll fill in the gaps.

2. You can add cassia but keep in mind the color tone of the henna might not be as an intense red if you are looking for as red as possible especially for on dark hair then use straight henna. Usually on lighter colored hair you can see the difference when using cassia and henna together.

5. I wanted to add that you don't necessarily have to let it sit for 8 hours. This depends on which type of henna you are using. For Jamila yes overnight is good. For indian or yemeni about 6-8 hours, but I really only mix my indian henna up and use after 2 hours myself and it still is fine. For moroccan henna it is the quickest so never let it sit more then 6 hours at all. It's best to use that within 1-2 hours of mixing.

Hope this helps and happy henna'ing!

Thank you much, that help ALOT! I will come back tomorrow with my results!

mscocoface

I did the Indigo glossing this past week and I really liked how it turned out. It covered the grays and in some areas made them darker. I could have kept it on longer but I was in a hurry.

I think for me this is a good routine when I am unable to do a whole head of henna and then Indigo.

I only did the front since I was redoing the cornrows. Coloring came out black but not blue black which is what I wanted.

Khadija.D.Carryl

welcome!

MsCoCoface, so you did just a straight indigo gloss right? What were your proportions? and what steps did you follow to prepare it?

That sounds need. Some other ladies started using cassia along with indigo as well. If you already have henne build up like I am sure you do since you already have previously used henna, then the indigo or indigo gloss sticks nicely. Let us know if you get any fading, either more quickly or about the same as usual.

This sounds like a great way to stretch out the indigo more. Did you find that you were able to use a bit less?

Lucia

Hello Henna Queens!

I have been stalking/skimming this thread for QUITE some time and have FINALLY decided to jump on the band wagon and go for it. I ordered some powders and now I am ready to get to mixin :yay:

I have read MANY posts and heard some great info. Now I am wondering what I should do from here. In the interest of time (see headline under my screen name :nono:) I was hoping some of you ladies could help me come up w/ a great non-drying mixture. I have 4a shoulder length natural hair (stretched). Right now I have 200g of henna 100g of Cassia, 100g of alma powder, and 100g of walnut husks. I am of course trying to strengthen and condition my hair, however I would also like a shiny dark aburn-like color. I want to try and keep things simle for my first time, so am not ready to commit to indigo, so I figured I would get the body henna and darken it. Also, I would really like to avoid the dryness that some ladies spoke of in the earlier portion of the thread.

Now for the Questions
1. How much of each product should I use?
2. Should I mix the Cassia in w/ the Henna or just Henna is fine?
3. What oils should I add and when?
4. Should I put any other herbs or other things in?
5. How long should I let the henna sit before applying?
6. How long should I leave it on?

1. How much of each product should I use?
When you order on the websites they give you an idea how much henna you'll need for the thickness and length of your hair. It will say waist length use x amount, thick hair uses up more product that med, or fine so take both thicknes and length into your estimate.

2. Should I mix the Cassia in w/ the Henna or just Henna is fine?
If you just want a gloss/shine and not change your haircolour then just the Cassia. If you wnat to change your colour a little bit or alot use the henna alone. If you want brown or black you'll have to mix henna and indigo for dark browns for black use henna=red first then follow it with pure indigo. The Cassia is like a clear gloss, it gives the shine and some of the strenghtening of henna w/o changing your natural hair colour, so you don't need to use both at the same time, but can alternate if you want.

3. What oils should I add and when?
I use a turp=special carrier oils, that help the henna develop more. to get tho most out of your colour.

4. Should I put any other herbs or other things in?
Some people use yogurt, or boil the water with tea, red or black tea, there are diff. recipes on the site too.
I use red tea and dextrose (to make a smoother paste so it sticks to the hair) to mix the henna/indigo and I get a dark brown/black clolour with a red shine in the sun. I do my deep conditioning treatments before the most important one, and after the henna.

5. How long should I let the henna sit before applying?
at least half a day or overnight is best in a plastic bowel that you won't re-use for food.

6. How long should I leave it on?
at least 2 hours to get the benefits but the longer you leave it in the more it penetrates the hair shaft. max=overnight. I wouldn't leave it in longer.

here's a site w/ good body art quality henna
http://www.mehandi.com/

RosesBlack

I think I am finally ready to henna I have some questions and my search fu is weak today.

How long before or after touching up my relaxer should I wait to henna?

Also if I'm doing henna should I skip my other hardcore protein treatments until I see how my hair reacts?

nomadpixi

Henna Straightening???

Since the search function is not working, I need to ask...

Has anyone else had UNWANTED straightening upon using Henna? I think I have. I have virtually no curl left in my previously slightly texlaxed hair. In addition, Silk Elements left my hair so lifeless I'm trying to decide if I should go back to Motions. DE has left me in between Silk Elements and Motions in curl, but my hair still feels pretty weak, despite lots of TLC and moisture. My hair now looks actually painfully thin. It's sort of healthy since I've been on no heat for 6 months, but I think my hair was actually in better shape before the henna. I've lost so much hair I'm seriously thinking of cutting it (I have no one to impress anymore:ohwell:, I can just wear a wig.). I'm actually quite disappointed in my hair. It's 3 inches from APL, but it is so thin it's really not very pretty to me.

I'm also not crazy about the mess it causes (I'm renting), so if anyone has any answers, I'm all ears. Will rollerseting help? I don't have a proper dryer, so it would have to be airdry rollersets. HELP!

NaturalJoy

:dance7: Whoo-hoo, my first henna application was a complete success from start to finish. The application was suprisingly easy and the henna washed right out after a few rinsings. The color wasn't bad either for my first try, although I would like to play around more in the future. Nonetheless, my hair is soft, strong, and more shiny than I anticipated for my first try and my curls have more definition!!! :yay: Henna is EXACTLY what I needed and I am hooked from here on out. I am just mad I waited this long to give it try :wallbash: Oh well, better late then never...

Thank you to the ladies who gave me personal advice and thank you Serca for starting this thread (you are one of my Hair Idols :grin:).

HAHAHA, I sound like I am accepting an award... "and the Henna award goes to..." :trophy: :lachen:

Last edited:

carameldiva

Re: Henna Straightening???

Has anyone else had UNWANTED straightening upon using Henna? I think I have. I have virtually no curl left in my previously slightly texlaxed hair. In addition, Silk Elements left my hair so lifeless I'm trying to decide if I should go back to Motions. DE has left me in between Silk Elements and Motions in curl, but my hair still feels pretty weak, despite lots of TLC and moisture. My hair now looks actually painfully thin. It's sort of healthy since I've been on no heat for 6 months, but I think my hair was actually in better shape before the henna. I've lost so much hair I'm seriously thinking of cutting it (I have no one to impress anymore:ohwell:, I can just wear a wig.). I'm actually quite disappointed in my hair. It's 3 inches from APL, but it is so thin it's really not very pretty to me.

I'm also not crazy about the mess it causes (I'm renting), so if anyone has any answers, I'm all ears. Will rollerseting help? I don't have a proper dryer, so it would have to be airdry rollersets. HELP!

I have never had this happen but then again I am totally natural. Maybe Sareca or VWVixxen can come in and help you out.

Nola Darling

I used my Henna today. I'm not sure if the shine in my hair is from the olive oil and shine serum I use but it does shine. Also, I've got a neat auburn tint. I'd like it to be deeper so I plan on using Henna again soon.

It didn't stain everything like I thought it would and it's easy to work with. The next time I Henna I will report back:yep:

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
I used my Henna today. I'm not sure if the shine in my hair is from the olive oil and shine serum I use but it does shine. Also, I've got a neat auburn tint. I'd like it to be deeper so I plan on using Henna again soon.

It didn't stain everything like I thought it would and it's easy to work with. The next time I Henna I will report back:yep:

Congratulations! Post some pics if you have some.
Anyhoo, remember that the tones will oxidize and become deeper or lighter depending on your mix. I suggest added a little indigo or some amla powder if you want the color to be deeper.

nomadpixi

Re: Henna Straightening???

...Bump....:look:

tt8

@ hennasooq--Thanks, seems like it stayed the same length forever. :ohwell:

@ cocoface-- Cosigning, be careful with the coffee and you gotta try jojoba oil for your post-henna oil rinse. :shocked:

@ sweetnlow--you too, sweet. try a jojoba oil rinse post henna.

Sareca,
Hey girl I know I'm a little late on the post but I finally got to this page after darn near two months of lurking. So I am just trying to get you method down packed. I wanna know that when I henna, can I do the jojoba rinse in between my indigo application. I know you suggested an oil rinse before the henna but do you think you can avoid dryness and tangles if you do it after also? Ok, maybe that was two questions...:spinning:

mscocoface

welcome!

MsCoCoface, so you did just a straight indigo gloss right? What were your proportions? and what steps did you follow to prepare it?

That sounds need. Some other ladies started using cassia along with indigo as well. If you already have henne build up like I am sure you do since you already have previously used henna, then the indigo or indigo gloss sticks nicely. Let us know if you get any fading, either more quickly or about the same as usual.

This sounds like a great way to stretch out the indigo more. Did you find that you were able to use a bit less?

I used conditioner with the Indigo, just as someone posted I think it was 2 to 1. I took out my twists last night and I can't see a demarcation line and the grays are not there either.

For me it is a great stretcher especially when I am in twists or braids of some sort. I seem to get more grays in the front of my head faster than the back. I like the results so I will use it in the future.

Moroni

My second application of henna was Saturday. I'm so excited, because I didn't have the dryness, breakage and tangling that I had the 1st time...but then I didn't sleep in it either! LOL I used 50/50 henna shakakai powders, warm water and amla oil, applied it immediately and left it on for 2 hours. Then, I follow Sareca's advice and used the Aveda DR. Ahhh! My hair felt so wonderful....strong, yet soft. Yep, this is a keeper! I'm going to add Amla powder to the next one on this Saturday. My new growth is sprouting out quickly, this is just day 10, and I've got about 1/4 inch already, so I've got to henna quickly so that I don't henna over too much NG.

carameldiva

My second application of henna was Saturday. I'm so excited, because I didn't have the dryness, breakage and tangling that I had the 1st time...but then I didn't sleep in it either! LOL I used 50/50 henna shakakai powders, warm water and amla oil, applied it immediately and left it on for 2 hours. Then, I follow Sareca's advice and used the Aveda DR. Ahhh! My hair felt so wonderful....strong, yet soft. Yep, this is a keeper! I'm going to add Amla powder to the next one on this Saturday. My new growth is sprouting out quickly, this is just day 10, and I've got about 1/4 inch already, so I've got to henna quickly so that I don't henna over too much NG.

Congradulations on your great henna results, Moroni.

BeaLady

I'm late but I'm ready to try Henna.

You guys are so wonderful, you all are so helpful and encouraging. I'm still reading this thread. I got through the first 100 pages and am now reading from the last pages and going backwards. :)

I ordered my henna from hennaforhair and hope to get it within the next couple of days. I ordered 100 gms. each of BAQ3 and Indigo. I read on the hennaforhair site that BAQ3 does a better job of covering the grey. I inherited my mother's grey hair and have had a grey streak in the front for years. It has spread and I have a lot of grey throughout the front of my hair.

I want the grey coverage but I don't want my grey patch to turn out bright red or orange.

From my reading I think this will be my plan:

Co-wash and deep condition first
Mix my henna with yogurt, a little ACV, honey and oil(not sure which oil or how much).
I'm still not sure about doing the indigo separetely or adding it to the henna mix.

Does this sound ok?

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
Do not add ACV.

You don't need it or any other "acidic" additive for the color to release. It makes most heads very dry. I don't use yougurt either but many ladies do. I just use water, oil and maybe the honey or other conditioner. Good luck! :grin:

I'm late but I'm ready to try Henna.

You guys are so wonderful, you all are so helpful and encouraging. I'm still reading this thread. I got through the first 100 pages and am now reading from the last pages and going backwards. :)

I ordered my henna from hennaforhair and hope to get it within the next couple of days. I ordered 100 gms. each of BAQ3 and Indigo. I read on the hennaforhair site that BAQ3 does a better job of covering the grey. I inherited my mother's grey hair and have had a grey streak in the front for years. It has spread and I have a lot of grey throughout the front of my hair.

I want the grey coverage but I don't want my grey patch to turn out bright red or orange.

From my reading I think this will be my plan:

Co-wash and deep condition first
Mix my henna with yogurt, a little ACV, honey and oil(not sure which oil or how much).
I'm still not sure about doing the indigo separetely or adding it to the henna mix.

Does this sound ok?

BeaLady

Do not add ACV.

You don't need it or any other "acidic" additive for the color to release. It makes most heads very dry. I don't use yougurt either but many ladies do. I just use water, oil and maybe the honey or other conditioner. Good luck! :grin:

Thank you very much for the warning. I definitely don't want it to dry my hair out. I've also been reading that yogurt inhibits optimal color release.

Hopefully I'll get my order today. :)

BeaLady

My order came in today :) I was so excited to do the test strand that I forgot to add water to the indigo and let it sit. I just dumped it in with the henna and alma powder.

Do you think this will mess up the results? Will I have to do another test?

HERicane10

it won't matter if shades of brown are what you want. :yep: If you want black hair, then the indigo must done AFTER the henna application.

schipperchow1

Thanks in part to the info in this thread, I have tried henna twice, more so as a glossing although I got color on my dried out ends,...But I love it!! :grin:

I got strong, smooth, shiny hair. I didn't find it to be too much trouble at all, especially not for the results that I got. I wanted to wait until I repeated it & had positive results after both tries before posting.

BeaLady

Thanks in part to the info in this thread, I have tried henna twice, more so as a glossing although I got color on my dried out ends,...But I love it!! :grin:

I got strong, smooth, shiny hair. I didn't find it to be too much trouble at all, especially not for the results that I got. I wanted to wait until I repeated it & had positive results after both tries before posting.

I'm ready to take the plunge. I made my batch last night and it might be ready. I have a big grey patch in the front and I'm excited to see what it will look like. I hope I don't end up looking like Dennis Rodman. :)

schipperchow1

Good luck! You are brave to go with the dye release on your first try. Did you do a strand test? I tested on some shed hairs first. I didn't let my batch sit, used yogurt & olive oil & I still got color release:ohwell:...I used the Jamilla from Henna for Hair. I may end up trying indigo to counter the red color on the ends.

BTW: I hope you don't end up looking like Dennis Rodman either:eek2:

BeaLady

Good luck! You are brave to go with the dye release on your first try. Did you do a strand test? I tested on some shed hairs first. I didn't let my batch sit, used yogurt & olive oil & I still got color release:ohwell:...I used the Jamilla from Henna for Hair. I may end up trying indigo to counter the red color on the ends.

BTW: I hope you don't end up looking like Dennis Rodman either:eek2:

I did a strand test last night. It looks ok. My grays were a goldish/orange color.

I used olive oil, a squirt of conditioner and a little honey. I got mine from Henna for Hair also. I think I'm going to try the Jamilla henna, I've heard good things about it. I got Body Art Quality 3. I read on Henna for Hair's site that the BAQ3 gives better coverage for gray hairs. I'm going to use this type for a couple of more applications and switch to Jamilla.

I think I made it too thick, I didn't get any drips and used all that I made(100 grams).

I'm going to take a nap and then tackle the next phase, rinsing it out of my hair. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.