Votes: 33 3.2%
  • No, I haven't but I've always wanted to

Votes: 518 49.6%
  • Nope, never considered it

Votes: 200 19.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
My newest henna mixture contained NO water. I mixed two parts henna to one part indigo and used old coffee as the liquid.

My hair had been oiled beforehand so I did not add oil. My hair felt strong but not overly stiff.

I then followed up with my moisture max mix: powdered coconut milk with enough water to make it liquidy (because I was out of coconut milk), LOTS of honey, sesame oil, EVOO and a few squirts of conditioner just for a thicker consistency. My fingers glided through my hair.

My first henna experience was a good one :grin:. I did an overnight pre-poo with coconut oil. I mixed my Jamilia henna with cold water and coconut oil and applied it immediately, because I didn't want the color release. I left it on for about 45 minutes without heat. The mixture was very thick. I applied it to my hair in four sections. After rinsing, I did a cw and then poo'ed once with a shampoo bar sample that I got from http://chagrinvalleysoapandcraft.com/shambar.htm. I did a oil rinse with coconut oil and then I dc'ed for about 1 hr under the dryer. My hair was not difficult to detangle and it turned out nice, not dry at all. I did notice that the henna seemed to loosen the texture of my hair, which isn't a bad thing for me. Thanks everyone for all of their help :yep:.

My newest henna mixture contained NO water. I mixed two parts henna to one part indigo and used old coffee as the liquid.

My hair had been oiled beforehand so I did not add oil. My hair felt strong but not overly stiff.

I then followed up with my moisture max mix: powdered coconut milk with enough water to make it liquidy (because I was out of coconut milk), LOTS of honey, sesame oil, EVOO and a few squirts of conditioner just for a thicker consistency. My fingers glided through my hair.
Does the coffee darken the color? I love to use Rose Water in my mix, seems to make a difference some how...

I think the coffee helped tone down the reddish tint of henna that I get. I only used one part indigo to two parts henna. I got a nice deep brown color instead of the usual jet black. I did that because I just got twists and I knew I wanted to use 1B hair so the jet black would be too dark.

Does the rose water make your hair softer?

Well Ive been hennaing quite a bit since I started using Jamila.
It seems the condition of my hair gets better and better evrery time I use it :drunk:. Its like a Have a whole new head of hair like strong silk and my hair stays shiny even when I have no product on.:love:
Ive been fighting the urge to do it every week dont want to overload and ruin a good thing.
Ive started using other yummy herbs and oils not all Auyvedic tho so Im exicted to see what they do to my hair:grin:

Last edited:
i've done four henna treatments and i LOVE IT!!!:love2: i love the reddish color my hair has turned. as for the conditioning, the verdict is still out on that. even if it does nothing for the health of my hair, the color will be beautiful.

I noticed after hennaing that it brings out a little more of the curl pattern in one area of my hair. Does that happen to anyone else?

Now if ALL my hair had that kind of curl pattern that would be hot.

Ladies,
I am going to Henna my mom's gray hair this weekend. I am going to do a 2-step process, Henna then indigo. I am going to use a hooded dryer as well. How long should I leave the henna and indigo on before I rinse it out? I want to make sure the henna and indigo has deposited its color as much as it possibly can.

Thanks

Ladies,
I am going to Henna my mom's gray hair this weekend. I am going to do a 2-step process, Henna then indigo. I am going to use a hooded dryer as well. How long should I leave the henna and indigo on before I rinse it out? I want to make sure the henna and indigo has deposited its color as much as it possibly can.

Thanks

I'm going to touch up my roots this weekend.

They way I do it is to henna first, leaving it on about 4 hrs. I don't use a dryer but I've read where people sit under the dryer for an hour and and then out of the dryer for 3 hrs. After I rinse it out I make up my indigo mixture and let it sit for about 5 mins. I apply the indigo and leave it in for 1 hr.

I get really good color deposit doing it this way.

:yep:Hello all I'm new at the board,been lurking for awhile, but i noticed there was a poll up about henna and I happen to get this link in an email today.

Henna for Hair downloadable book in regards to Henna! God bless! Love LHCF!

Hey Girls!

Wish me luck! I will be henna-ing on monday. I will be preparing my mix tomorrow and based on all of the research I will be mixing henna, a tablespoon of lemon juice, hot water, honey, and yogurt (some of you said this is great to combat dryness). I wanted to add some CON conditioner, but do I add it when I'm mixing, or right before I'm going to put it on?

My only fear is my hair comes out more red than I want it too. I have done a strand test and honestly I can barely tell the difference, but you really never know unless you do the entire head. I do have some indigo just in case!

Any last recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

Hey Girls!

Wish me luck! I will be henna-ing on monday. I will be preparing my mix tomorrow and based on all of the research I will be mixing henna, a tablespoon of lemon juice, hot water, honey, and yogurt (some of you said this is great to combat dryness). I wanted to add some CON conditioner, but do I add it when I'm mixing, or right before I'm going to put it on?

My only fear is my hair comes out more red than I want it too. I have done a strand test and honestly I can barely tell the difference, but you really never know unless you do the entire head. I do have some indigo just in case!

Thanks in advance!

Leave out the lemon juice. You don't need it to get color release and it usually causes dryness to our hair.
You will see more red in the sunlight using just henna without indigo.

Have fun!

ETA: Add some oil (olive oil is fine) to your mix and make sure you deep condition using a moisturizing conditioner just before you henna. Henna on damp hair to alleviate dryness.

Last edited:
Hey Girls!

Thanks in advance!

I recommend your using a conditioner to "wash" the henna out after rinsing thoroughly. I wouldn't use any type of shampoo, because they tend to cause more dryness. Aveda DR conditioner is excellent, but pricey. I've discovered the Pantene Relaxed and Natural Intensive conditioner for co-washes! Heavenly, and just as good as the Aveda DR. For your DC afterward, the Aveda DR Intensive Treatment or the Pantene R/N Mask would be excellent, plus whatever oil you choose. I'd also use coconut milk instead of water, and avocado instead of yogurt. Both are moisturizing. If you choose to use avocado, make sure you blend it to smoothness BEFORE adding it to your henna. Why are you not including amla and shikakai powders to your mix?

I hope you have a wonderful henna experience, Pet! I absolutely adore henna.

Thank you Moroni and January Noir!

January Noir: Ok, I will not put any lemon juice in the mix. I'm going to let it sit for a long time so there should be enough color release. I will also add some olive oil, and I will definitely deep conditioner before I put the henna on.

Moroni: Coconut milk and avocado are great ideas! I'll try using some coconut milk and try the avocado next time. The reason why I am not using alma or shikakai powders is because I want to keep it very simple this time around, and tweak for next time. So now, based on your suggestions here is the mixture:

Henna - 200g
Olive Oil - teaspoon
Coconut milk - tablespoon
Hot Water - same amount as henna
Honey - teaspoon
Yogurt
CON conditioner

Thank you so much! I really appreciate it.

- Pet

Ok, so I hennaed this morning. Unfortunately I don't see much of a difference in color! I do feel a difference in thickness though. I left on the mix for two hours, so I don't know if I didn't leave it on long enough for my hair to have some color. I'll try it again a couple of weeks from now to see if I get a change. I'm not pressing my hair until tomorrow, so I'll post some pictures even though I think my hair looks the same.

Ahhh the henna is great but...I am not seeing the benefits of the stronger hair at least I dont think so. I have been putting henna in my hair for the past 2 1/2 monthes now. I do treatments every two weeks or if I feel like it every week. Yes my hair is thicker, its soft and nice the color is great but I figured it would help me battle the split ends and the knots but it is not. I am natural, henna has also gotten rid of any curl pattern I had which I dont mind at all. How long does it take to see the strengthening benefits? Maybe it is different for natural hair? could it be the brand? I am using FNWL henna, It usually stays on my hair for bout 2 hours or overnight.

Ok girls, here are some pics! As I said in the previous posts, I didn't see much color, which disappointed me. However, my hair became a little bit thicker. I will be doing a henna gloss within the next two weeks, and this time I will add some paprika to see if I can get more color.

Attachments

• PC260670.jpg
    PC260670.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 55
  • PC260671.jpg
    PC260671.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 45
  • PC260672.jpg
    PC260672.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 40
  • PC260673.jpg
    PC260673.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 49
Ok girls, here are some pics! As I said in the previous posts, I didn't see much color, which disappointed me. However, my hair became a little bit thicker. I will be doing a henna gloss within the next two weeks, and this time I will add some paprika to see if I can get more color.

Wow, your hair is gorgeous and shiny !

Ahhh the henna is great but...I am not seeing the benefits of the stronger hair at least I dont think so. I have been putting henna in my hair for the past 2 1/2 monthes now. I do treatments every two weeks or if I feel like it every week. Yes my hair is thicker, its soft and nice the color is great but I figured it would help me battle the split ends and the knots but it is not. I am natural, henna has also gotten rid of any curl pattern I had which I dont mind at all. How long does it take to see the strengthening benefits? Maybe it is different for natural hair? could it be the brand? I am using FNWL henna, It usually stays on my hair for bout 2 hours or overnight.

Kaykay, I've heard that it takes a little longer (i.e., more treatments) to see the full benefit of henna on natural hair because it isn't as porous as relaxed hair, but it does seem that you should be able to tell a difference by now. I don't think you're going to totally "repair" split ends, so what exactly are you looking for as far as strength goes?

Hey, pet! Looks GREAT!!! I can see some color in the last pic! Have you seen it in the sunlight yet? You'll get more color deposited with each treatment, I think. My 6-year-old daughter say's my hair is "burgandy"! HA! Hmm. Well, it's Thursday night. Time for me to get my henna on!

Hey, pet! Looks GREAT!!! I can see some color in the last pic! Have you seen it in the sunlight yet? You'll get more color deposited with each treatment, I think. My 6-year-old daughter say's my hair is "burgandy"! HA! Hmm. Well, it's Thursday night. Time for me to get my henna on!

===

Yes it is pretty:yep:

Look at that shine:drunk:

Hi Pet,
You need an acid to get color release. If not lemon juice then ACV. But some type of acid is needed.

No you don't! I suggest leaving out the lemon, ACV, etc. altogether.
It is not needed and you have less drying to the hair. This has been my experience. :yep:

No you don't! I suggest leaving out the lemon, ACV, etc. altogether.
It is not needed and you have less drying to the hair. This has been my experience. :yep:

To get the best color I usually mix this:

1 1/2 cup of lemon juice
3 tbsp ACV
3 tbsp red wine
1/4 cup honey
5-10 drops of Tea Tree Oil (aroma therapy strength)
(sometimes I open up two bags of chai tea and dump in the contents of that)

put the mixture in a pot to boil, strain it, pour it in a bowl, then stir in Henna. Let it sit for about 30 min and then apply

I usually get the best color when I do it this way. I get the best conditioning when I do it with just plain old coffee.

Last edited:
JanuaryNoir has been doing henna for quite some time now and her advice is very valuable to the community here so I will be for sure saying I second the fact that YOU DO NOT need lemon juice for dye release of henna. I personally have been doing henna for at least 10yrs. I have added a splash of lemon juice here and there but sometimes I just plain forget.

For best color results using fresh henna powder is essential. Like this year's crop (2007) or at least last years crop (2006) even though it is 2008 right now this year's crop is still 2007, as 2008 only comes out later in the year from summer to fall. You will see color results even on very dark hair using a good quality pure henna powder such as those labelled body art quality, and most popular right now for best color results wil be Indian henna powder.

PET I am not sure if you added conditoner into your henna paste mixture or not, but if you did you would be diluting the recipe too much, and the color results won't be as intense or noticeable. Another thing was the amount of water, I don't usually measure so make sure you don't add too much water but just enough to make it thick and muddy like a nice pancake batter.

Some people have done tests to show that honey does lighten the results of henna so if you don't mind that, then keep that in mind when using honey. It is known to be a natural hydrogen peroxide.

It is also best if using powder to not add any boiling liquid but add warm liquid up to mildly hot. Let the henna sit for a few hours and leave it for 4-6 hours or overnight if you'd like.
I agree moisturizing helps as well avoid any dryness and too much acid causes dryness as well.

PET your hair does look very shiny and beautiful!

Been missing all of you. Hope everyone is well and sorry haven't been around just been feeling a bit sick last few weeks. Just trying to keep up with the bare minimum.

JanuaryNoir has been doing henna for quite some time now and her advice is very valuable to the community here so I will be for sure saying I second the fact that YOU DO NOT need lemon juice for dye release of henna. I personally have been doing henna for at least 10yrs. I have added a splash of lemon juice here and there but sometimes I just plain forget.

For best color results using fresh henna powder is essential. Like this year's crop (2007) or at least last years crop (2006) even though it is 2008 right now this year's crop is still 2007, as 2008 only comes out later in the year from summer to fall. You will see color results even on very dark hair using a good quality pure henna powder such as those labelled body art quality, and most popular right now for best color results wil be Indian henna powder.

PET I am not sure if you added conditoner into your henna paste mixture or not, but if you did you would be diluting the recipe too much, and the color results won't be as intense or noticeable. Another thing was the amount of water, I don't usually measure so make sure you don't add too much water but just enough to make it thick and muddy like a nice pancake batter.

Some people have done tests to show that honey does lighten the results of henna so if you don't mind that, then keep that in mind when using honey. It is known to be a natural hydrogen peroxide.

It is also best if using powder to not add any boiling liquid but add warm liquid up to mildly hot. Let the henna sit for a few hours and leave it for 4-6 hours or overnight if you'd like.
I agree moisturizing helps as well avoid any dryness and too much acid causes dryness as well.

PET your hair does look very shiny and beautiful!

Been missing all of you. Hope everyone is well and sorry haven't been around just been feeling a bit sick last few weeks. Just trying to keep up with the bare minimum.

So is THAT why when I use honey my black hair goes to a coffee brown??

Awesome! Thanks for this!

Didn't vote but I wanted to find out whether anyone experienced any bleeding after using Henna. I've used tatoo type Henna 2x and each time, after my hair dries, I've noticed Henna soiling my shirt collar. Does this happen to anyone?.. It could be the type of Henna I'm using or maybe I didn't wash enough. Any suggestions on how I can prevent this.

Didn't vote but I wanted to find out whether anyone experienced any bleeding after using Henna. I've used tatoo type Henna 2x and each time, after my hair dries, I've noticed Henna soiling my shirt collar. Does this happen to anyone?.. It could be the type of Henna I'm using or maybe I didn't wash enough. Any suggestions on how I can prevent this.

Yes, henna like any dye will stain and bleed on your clothes.

To me it sounds like you are not rinsing well enough..
Do you henna with your hair damp or dry? I found that My hair rinses better when I've henna'd on damp, pre-conditioned hair. That also helps alleviate dryness.

I have very fine, thin hair so I rarely have a problem rinsing, but if you have a lot of hair it takes more diligence.

I read somewhere that to get all the bits of henna out of your hair, face up (of course), submerge yourself in warm water in a bathtub of water and swish your hair around. That is supposed to removed every last drop.

Try that and see if that will work.

I tried that method with conditioner and it worked, but henna and indigo are much heavier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back