• No, I haven't but I've always wanted to

Votes: 518 49.6%
  • Nope, never considered it

Votes: 200 19.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

jamaraa

I guess I will have to use cassia, is it true however if I don't put lemon in the henna mixture then the color will not release...I read this in another thread.

No, the henna will dye release w/ time and water...you need NOTHING past time and water. I release it for 24 hrs. I add a little conditioner to the mix to make it easy to wash out (it's a breeze), but acids, as far as I'm concerned, are only for body art because the skin is harder to "stain" than hair.

Whoever said that about needing acids (terps aren't the same thing) for dye release probably has never tried it w/o but it'll stain just as nicely or even better w/ time. Acids will simply dry the hair out, esp. considering that you're putting it on your head for 1hr+. We who have African textured hair don't require the oil stripping properties of acids. Leave that to White and Indian people who will dry out their hair and wonder why. LOL That said, I'd never recommend acids for non Blacks either.

Terps on hair...no way, no how. The only terp anywhere near being good for hair is lavendar EO, but save that for body art cuz it can get expensive for hair.

Last edited:

jamaraa

If you're using Cassia, I don't think you'd need to be concerned about color releasing as it is colorless anyway, however this info in incorrect. If you leave the regular henna sitting for a few hours say 8-12 hours or so, the color will release even without terps (acids). It is only if you leave it sitting for an hour or two that maybe you won't get any color release without the terps in such a short time. I don't use any terps (acids) because they dry my fine hair out tooooooo badly. Some persons get great results with them though.

Cassia it NOT colorless or neutral. It simply doesn't show up on black or very dark brown hair, but it will show on greys for those who have dark hair. It stains yellow (ie blonde). I'd mix up my cassia then let it sit for about 1 hr (w/ warm water and conditioner if you choose) to make sure the conditioning properties are active and leave it on 30 mins-1 hr as a conditioning treatment. Just like w/ henna, you can mix other conditioning/coloring herbs in if you choose.

Last edited:

Aggie

Cassia it NOT colorless or neutral. It simply doesn't show up on black or very dark brown hair, but it will show on greys for those who have dark hair. It stains yellow (ie blonde). I'd mix up my cassia then let it sit for about 1 hr (w/ warm water and conditioner if you choose) to make sure the conditioning properties are active and leave it on 30 mins-1 hr as a conditioning treatment. Just like w/ henna, you can mix other conditioning/coloring herbs in if you choose.

Hmm well excuse me. I guess HennaSooq was wrong then:ohwell:. Anyway, I think I'm done with this thread. I know enough now to keep my hair in tip top shape using these products. Good luck to the rest of the ladies here looking to use these products.

Last edited:

baddison

natural for good
Recently started reading this informative thread. I'm up to page 126....check back with you all in a few weeks......:lachen:

jamaraa

Aggie It's simply to say that cassia has color. I wouldn't want anyone to put this on their hair and be surprised that they have yellow sparkling greys.

Most people w/ dark hair won't see the color left, but they will see it on their greys if they have them.

dcprdiva

Catherine Cartwright Jones http://www.hennaforhair.com/ said that you need lemon juice to release the color. I believe saw somewhere in her readings that for those with drier hair textures that you don't need lemon juice because it is too drying. No amount of CO in the mix well help. Take my word for it.

I'm going to try it again using Pet's recipe:

mix about 50g jamila henna, honey, conditioner, shikakai powder, and warm water. Let it sit overnight. The henna becomes easier to wash out. The lady at my Indian store said just add water.

jamaraa

^^^The Indian store lady is right. All you need is water. Catherine Cartwright-Jones commonly uses acids in her mixes, but I'm of the opinion they are absolutely unnecessary for hair (tho necessary for skin/body art) for any hair type. Acids are drying for all hair types, but African textured hair will feel it worse more quickly. Water, time, and conditioner (if you choose) is all you need.

Khadija.D.Carryl

I'm with the non-lemon juice ladies myself and it isn't just a recommendation I personally make for women of dryer scalp, it is really good for everyone. Warm water or even tea water can be fine to use.

We always use water. maybe a splash of lemon juice and sugar (for texture) is what I sometimes use.

My hubby always adds some sweet orange oil to his mix. The scent really stays in his hair well even after washing it all out.

baddison

natural for good
OK, so I finally finished reading this thread from A.....to.....Z!!! WHEW!!

I have ordered my Jamila, and my Indigo.:grin: Can't wait 'til they arrive!

infojunkie

I'm with you baddison, I finally got through this thread and it only took me two weeks. I had planned to take my twists down last weekend and do my first hendigo but Hurricane Ike derailed my plans.

As soon as I replenish my freezer and get back to some semblance of normality I'll definitely be getting on my head. I deserve some pampering after all this drama.

(Besides if I try to buy some hair products now and we can't even find gas I just might have to divorce my DH, he'll pitch such a fit. :lachen:)

I've taken copious notes and am soooo ready. I thank all of the ladies that contributed to this thread. I can now speak like an old henna pro even though I've never used the stuff.

I'll keep ya'll updated.

Amari

Hi ladies!You know how you're supposed to do a reconstructor a week after a relaxer?Well is henna like a reconstructor,because wouldn't it be damaging to do both?I wanted to used henna and indigo to color but was because I heard one of the best times to do it was a week after a relaxer but what about my reconstructor?

Amari

Also,when doing a henna and indigo treatment(I want jet black hair) do you ladies use heat to help?Do you use heat for the henna and indigo or for just one of them once its on your head?I'm thinking using my steamer or dryer might be a good idea I just don't know whether to use it for the henna or indigo or both...

MyAngelEyez~C~U

Did my first henna/indigo mixture on my hair. pics are in my profile...came out dark red and should oxidize to a nice dark auburn. hair appears thicker, and not shedding much. I did it to strengthen my hair...color is just a bonus!

MyAngelEyez~C~U

Also,when doing a henna and indigo treatment(I want jet black hair) do you ladies use heat to help?Do you use heat for the henna and indigo or for just one of them once its on your head?I'm thinking using my steamer or dryer might be a good idea I just don't know whether to use it for the henna or indigo or both...

heat will speed up dye uptake into your hair.

MyAngelEyez~C~U

Hi ladies!You know how you're supposed to do a reconstructor a week after a relaxer?Well is henna like a reconstructor,because wouldn't it be damaging to do both?I wanted to used henna and indigo to color but was because I heard one of the best times to do it was a week after a relaxer but what about my reconstructor?

I did my relaxer on monday, and I did my henna today. I did a deep condition for 20 minutes after I rinsed out the henna, followed that with a leave-in moisturizer. my hair feels soft but strong. Has a nice shine to it.

Amari

I did my relaxer on monday, and I did my henna today. I did a deep condition for 20 minutes after I rinsed out the henna, followed that with a leave-in moisturizer. my hair feels soft but strong. Has a nice shine to it.

Thanks for all the info and your hair came out really pretty!

Duchesse

I slept in a henna mix the other night, and my hair looks sooo pretty in the sunlight, especially my roots since I relaxed a week prior.

Does overlapping hennad hair eventually make it brighter/redder, or does it darken more? I want my whole head to be as red as possible, not just the roots :perplexed

MyAngelEyez~C~U

I slept in a henna mix the other night, and my hair looks sooo pretty in the sunlight, especially my roots since I relaxed a week prior.

Does overlapping hennad hair eventually make it brighter/redder, or does it darken more? I want my whole head to be as red as possible, not just the roots :perplexed

the color will deepen with each henna application. they say to do a henna gloss to maintain your color when the desired color is reached. you mix a few tbls of henna mix with some conditioner, and apply it to your hair. leave in time is up to you.

2sweetnsugarland

Thanks! Yep, I'm texturized. According to the hennaforhair people, you can use body art quality henna on processed hair. You can't use compound henna (the kind sold in most stores) on processed hair. But I did test it first.

Sareca: Your hair is too beautiful for words!!!:yawn: This is the way that I want my hair to look. What type of texturizer do you use on your hair? I have been using soft and beautiful but I don't think its relaxing my hair enough. My hair is about 5 inches all over and some parts are curly and some parts are not so curly. I condition wash it every day and my hair loves it. I only wash and deep condition on the weekend. I have been using African grade henna on my hair for almost 8 months and I will never use any other dye on my hair. My daily routine is Paul Mitchell foaming pommade and Proclaim glossing polish. Any suggestions??? Whatever you can tell me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Aggie

Sareca: Your hair is too beautiful for words!!!:yawn: This is the way that I want my hair to look. What type of texturizer do you use on your hair? I have been using soft and beautiful but I don't think its relaxing my hair enough. My hair is about 5 inches all over and some parts are curly and some parts are not so curly. I condition wash it every day and my hair loves it. I only wash and deep condition on the weekend. I have been using African grade henna on my hair for almost 8 months and I will never use any other dye on my hair. My daily routine is Paul Mitchell foaming pommade and Proclaim glossing polish. Any suggestions??? Whatever you can tell me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Why don't you try copy and pasting this post in a PM to Sareca, she might respond to you faster that way:yep:.

Zawaj

I have mixed my henna (nothing fancy just water and rose water) and will be henna and indigo-ing tomorrow! I'm excited :D

baddison

natural for good
OK, so I finally finished reading this thread from A.....to.....Z!!! WHEW!!

I have ordered my Jamila, and my Indigo.:grin: Can't wait 'til they arrive!

OK, so I just finished my Hen-digo treatment and I must say that I am not completely sure I did it right.....even after reading this entire thread!!:wallbash:

I mixed my Jamila at 5:00am this morning. 50g, water, 1 tiny teaspoon lemon juice....thats it. Put it in the oven on warm setting: 170degrees, for 1hr. Then took it out of the oven and let it sit on the warm countertop for 3more hours. I had color release roughly after the second hour, but I let it sit a total of 4hrs anyway....

Next I mixed 100g indigo with water, 'til thick and pasty. Didn't mind the smell at all. It actually smelled like freshly mown lawn/grass, so that was OK.

let the indigo sit for about 10minutes, then mixed it into henna, added coconut oil.

Applied mixture to freshly clarified hair. Left on for about an hour in total, and this includes sitting under heat for about half hour. Then I rinsed. Although my hair feels simply great....I just don't see much of a color change.....:nono: Its a dark as it was when I first started, and my sideburns are still grey????

Maybe I forgot to cover the extreme sideburns, not sure???? They look untouched!

I'll be going back into braids tonite, so I won't really experience the benefits of the oxidation process which takes place a few days later. I was just hoping to see some kind of obvious difference with the hendigo treatment. I am planning on henna/indigo-ing on a monthly basis. Maybe the more I do it, the better I'll get, and I'll get some coverage for those greys???:wallbash:

~*Tigget*~

OK, so I just finished my Hen-digo treatment and I must say that I am not completely sure I did it right.....even after reading this entire thread!!:wallbash:

I mixed my Jamila at 5:00am this morning. 50g, water, 1 tiny teaspoon lemon juice....thats it. Put it in the oven on warm setting: 170degrees, for 1hr. Then took it out of the oven and let it sit on the warm countertop for 3more hours. I had color release roughly after the second hour, but I let it sit a total of 4hrs anyway....

Next I mixed 100g indigo with water, 'til thick and pasty. Didn't mind the smell at all. It actually smelled like freshly mown lawn/grass, so that was OK.

let the indigo sit for about 10minutes, then mixed it into henna, added coconut oil.

Applied mixture to freshly clarified hair. Left on for about an hour in total, and this includes sitting under heat for about half hour. Then I rinsed. Although my hair feels simply great....I just don't see much of a color change.....:nono: Its a dark as it was when I first started, and my sideburns are still grey????

Maybe I forgot to cover the extreme sideburns, not sure???? They look untouched!

I'll be going back into braids tonite, so I won't really experience the benefits of the oxidation process which takes place a few days later. I was just hoping to see some kind of obvious difference with the hendigo treatment. I am planning on henna/indigo-ing on a monthly basis. Maybe the more I do it, the better I'll get, and I'll get some coverage for those greys???:wallbash:

I've never done the all-in-one step, but I'm curious of how much u applied to your hair. When doing my 2 step process, I apply the Henna like I would relaxer, very thick covering every inch of every strand. The same w/ Indigo.

I don't add Lemon Juice, not sure what affect this has. But I leave my Henna on overnight, after I have let the color sit in a warm place in my house for about 24 hours. For the Indigo I just mix, leave 10 mins to release, then apply and leave on for about 2 hours, using heat in cycles (not necessarily the complete 2 hours).

I don't have much gray so I'm not sure. But from the other ladies here have stated it takes a few cycles of this process to obtain the true color tone your looking for.

My mom has done it twice. The first time her grey was like a rust/copper color. But she only did the Henna the first time. The second time she did both in the 2 step process. More grey was covered but still can see it slightly. I think by the 3 or 4th application it will take really well. As for the 2nd application though, the color is lasting pretty good and the grey definitely doesn't have the rust color to it.

Again as I've read it is a process, so maybe the 2nd and 3rd app will go over well for you.

monieluv

that do sound like alot

Thanks, I'm so happy with it. Ok, this sounds like a lot of stuff, but it was really very simple once I understood what you were supposed to do.

I brought my henna from hennaforhair.com. The owner sells body quality henna which can be used safely over other chemicals. I've used commercial dyes and relaxer on my hair so I was worred about interactions between regular henna and my hair.

I got my recipe from hennaforhair too. They actually have bunch of recipes depending on what color you want (http://www.hennaforhair.com/mixes/index.html).
  • I mixed:
100g of henna
enough lemon juice concentrate to make an icing-like paste
couple tablespoons of tumeric to warm the color
1/4 cup of amla powder that i also brought from hennaforhair.
2 tablespoons of olive oil to counteract the intensity (and drying) of the lemon concentrate
Some coffee grounds to darken the color (duh! grounds don't dissolve):(
20 drops of lemon essential oil (anything will work, but it changed the smell from hay to lemon cake icing, yay) :)
  • I left it in the garage overnight (about 17 hours) until the dye released. You can tell if it release by leaving a little piece of paper towel in the container. The paper will be stained orange when the dye is ready for use.
  • I applied it like you would a relaxer
  • Wrapped my head in plastic wrap and sat under under the bonnet dryer for an hour
I think I went a bit overboard on the mix. Next time I henna (this weekend), I'm going to use henna, ACV, and strongly brewed coffee and that's it. I might order more amla powder. My hair loves that stuff. But one thing's for sure, I won't be dying my hair with anything else.

girlcherokee

But I leave my Henna on overnight, after I have let the color sit in a warm place in my house for about 24 hours.
Tigget did you mean that you leave your henna in your hair overnight, then wash it out? this does not over do it? just wondering. still experimenting with how long to leave stuff in.

flowinlocks

OMG!!!! I finally finished reading this thread....it took me 3 days but it was well worth it, there is a wealth of information in here. I'm planning on doing jet black tomorrow, using the 2 step method. I'll let you know how it turns out.:grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.