Votes: 33 3.2%
  • No, I haven't but I've always wanted to

Votes: 518 49.6%
  • Nope, never considered it

Votes: 200 19.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ahh here's the thread. :) I finally henned and my hair loves it (pics in fotki). Next time I will add conditioner, honey, EVOO or coconut oil. I always do a good deep conditioning treatment afterwards. I leave my henna on for at least 3 hours.

I only did 2 hours the first time. I think I'll leave it longer the next time. I need my Indigo to stick.

amazing to hear! So what do people say when you tell them you use henna/herbs on your hair?

My girl is indian and she was so suprised when I started to talk about it, I actually knew more than her:grin:. She had no idea it can be used in the hair.

One of my male friends was coming to see me and my sister was like "um what are you gonna do with your hair" and I told her I'm not going to do anything. So when he came he was like "OMG, why the hell do you look like that...is that mud in your hair?":lachen::lachen: I told him not to worry and I kept my distance...I rather look muddy than to smell sh!tty:rolleyes:.

It doesnt totally remove the indigo but it does turn the untouched root hairs a little copper/reddish and the whole head tends to look a little brownish-red in sunlight. That is why I do the 2 step treatment each time to keep my hair black at all times unless I'm lazy of course:grin:.

This may have been answered earlier in the thread but, do you let the dye release in the henna everytime you do a two step henna/ indigo? My understanding is that henna doesn't have to sit if you are just using it for conditioning. Does the black indigo color show deeper if you let the henna dye release each time?

This may have been answered earlier in the thread but, do you let the dye release in the henna everytime you do a two step henna/ indigo? My understanding is that henna doesn't have to sit if you are just using it for conditioning. Does the black indigo color show deeper if you let the henna dye release each time?

From my understanding, The released Henna is to make sure the hair has a red hue to it before applying the Indigo, if a rich black color is desired. If the Henna is not released, the end result will be more blue. This was kinda the same question I was asking, about retouching the Henna/Indigo. I have retouched my Indigo alone one time so far & I was wondering the same thing about the next time I do the 2 step, do I need to let the Henna release if I already have it on my hair. I kinda figured it out myself. I feel I didn't leave the released Henna on long enough the last time, so I WILL release the color the next time, for this reason. Plus I have ng THAT HASN'T BEEN HENNAED, but if you're ok on the COLOR part of the Henna, meaning it took the first time & you don't have ng that needs to be retouched, I don't see a problem using it unreleased as a conditioner, then reapplying Indigo. I haven't done this yet because I'm currently using MT/OCT & I don't want to over do it. I think it's more a judgment call on your part, I'm no expert, I'm a newbie to Henna/Indigo, & to the Ayurveda methods in general, so hopefully one of the veterans will come further clarify.:yawn:

I agree with flowinlocks about the henna releasing before applying the indigo to obtain the richest black color. You are right about the henna not needing to be released for conditioning purposes, however, if you want to have the best black indigo color, then it is suggested that you allow the henna to properly release first.

After releasing, then apply to properly oiled scalp and hair for about 3-4 hours properly covered tightly in plastic and foil, remove, allow hair to dry and add indigo color for another 2 hours or so. HTH.

It's true some people just don't henna. But think of all the women that have used it, not just indians and paskitanis. We got plenty of African countries where the women have loved henna, and even further then that you got the gulf area. A variety of women have used henna, and most have been women of color. and of course men!! don't forget them.

Otherwise some of your answers really had me laughing at some of the people's remarks! lol!

Hey guys, I have a pack of pre mixed Henna but I'm afraid to use it because it doesn't say BAQ, however it DOES say: no additional color or chemicals used, only PURE Mehandi with Ayurvedic herbs. Has anyone used this? Do you think it's safe? The ingredents are:
Henna
Amla
Shikakai
Aritha
Coffee powder
Lemon
Beetroot juice
Maipal
Kapor Kachil
Neem
Sugandh Kokita

Attachments

• premixed henna.jpg
    premixed henna.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 13
Hey guys, I have a pack of pre mixed Henna but I'm afraid to use it because it doesn't say BAQ, however it DOES say: no additional color or chemicals used, only PURE Mehandi with Ayurvedic herbs. Has anyone used this? Do you think it's safe? The ingredents are:
Henna
Amla
Shikakai
Aritha
Coffee powder
Lemon
Beetroot juice
Maipal
Kapor Kachil
Neem
Sugandh Kokita

I don't trust any kind of pre-mixed henna, even if they say it's good but then that's just me though. Perhaps Henna Sooq will chime in on this as she sells henna too. Good luck with it honey.

Henna
Amla
Shikakai
Aritha
Coffee powder
Lemon
Beetroot juice
Maipal
Kapor Kachil
Neem
Sugandh Kokita

Bumping..... Sareca where are you?????

Like Aggie said, you can't trust those pre-mixed henna blends for sure. I mean you could test it and look at the sift and use your best judgement. But it does have a lot of other ingredients in it. hhhmm, that would be my advice. Test it on a bit of hair strands from your brush, and see if it's worth it.

Like Aggie said, you can't trust those pre-mixed henna blends for sure. I mean you could test it and look at the sift and use your best judgement. But it does have a lot of other ingredients in it. hhhmm, that would be my advice. Test it on a bit of hair strands from your brush, and see if it's worth it.

This is exactly was I thinking, it's already made into a paste, vacumed seal in a bag, the directions say just smooth it on, no need to add water or anything. For the record I would NEVER buy this product, just based on the knowledge I have received here, and actually I'm quite pleased with YOUR product:grin:. I just happen to place an order for some other products on another site & they threw this in as a gift.

Last edited:
Oh k I see. Thanks for the compliment!

Oh it's an already made paste, well then I can say for sure now that I don't recommend it. There has to be some preservatives/chemical in it to make the paste stay good and have dye content still. It's like those store bought henna cones, they add something in it to keep it fresh. Since we all know that fresh henna paste does not stay good (with dyeing properties) on the shelf or in the fridge just like that on it's own. I tell other henna artists/enthusiasts the same thing. Pre-made paste is even worse to me.

Hello ladies!

I had a question and Flowinlocks suggested I post it here for the henna experts. Thanks, Flowinlocks! My original post is below.

I just tried a shikakai, brhingaraj tea rinse and I heart it :lick:. I'm wondering now if I might get results from a henna tea rinse instead of doing a full out henna, or even a henna gloss. What do you ladies think?

I noticed that the vatika oil has henna in it and it is lovely for my hair! I wonder if there are other unconventional ways to "henna". hmmmmmm pondering... Your insights are welcomed. :drunk:

Hello ladies!

I had a question and Flowinlocks suggested I post it here for the henna experts. Thanks, Flowinlocks! My original post is below.

I can't be sure how much of the coloring, strenthening and conditioning properties will be absorbed by the hair this way sheba1. I think this would be a waste of some valuable henna treatment. I have never heard of henna being applied this way, so maybe you can give it a try and let us know how it worked for you.

I'll definitely keep you guys posted! I just don't see how if a tsp of brhingaraj and a tsp of shikakai steeped in a big ole thing of water can bring benefits, but not the same amount of henna? Why are the other powders beneficial as teas if henna would offer no benefits, at all as teas? Especially since, the original use of bhringaraj, shikakai and the like were used as mud masks for the hair, as well, just like henna.

I'll definitely keep you guys posted! I just don't see how if a tsp of brhingaraj and a tsp of shikakai steeped in a big ole thing of water can bring benefits, but not the same amount of henna? Why are the other powders beneficial as teas if henna would offer no benefits, at all as teas? Especially since, the original use of bhringaraj, shikakai and the like were used as mud masks for the hair, as well, just like henna.
actually i think you may be on to something - awhile back i bought a henna oil from the indian store(along the lines of vatika and the like only just henna) and it's awesome and it does have an affect on my hair - i think i will try this.

Hi sheba1,

Like I said before I really can't be sure how much coloring, conditioning and strengthening power you will receive this way but we would love to hear about your results. The thing is, most ayurveda powders work almost immediately as rinses and/or pastes but henna is needed to stay on the hair a little longer for the actual henna properties to take effect. The mere fact that henna has to sit and release for a set amount of time before application - depending on the degree of coloring one wants and the ayurveda powders do not, proves they do not work the same way.

You may get some results but to what degree, that remains to be seen through your efforts to try using it a little differently than recommended. I do know that I personally would not want to try this and it does not work like I hoped and end up wasting a whole batch of my precious henna. I live in the Bahamas and we can't find henna here so I'm sure you could understand my hesitation. I do however wish you luck in your attemtpts and please let us know how it turned out, okay?

actually i think you may be on to something - awhile back i bought a henna oil from the indian store(along the lines of vatika and the like only just henna) and it's awesome and it does have an affect on my hair - i think i will try this.
I hear you! My hair is doing amazing things after the discovery of Vatika, Amla and Mahabrhingaraj oils. And in such a brief period of time! I also spritz my hair with my teas followed by my conditioner and oil mix of choice for a DC. So maybe I'll make my henna tea and spritz away. Maybe that'll give that luscious herb more time in my hair so it can do it's thing...

The mere fact that henna has to sit and release for a set amount of time before application - depending on the degree of coloring one wants and the ayurveda powders do not, proves they do not work the same way.

I can understand your reasons for not wanting to waste such a prescious thing. I'll definitely let you guys know if I find benefit.

I guess I was thinking that henna, too, is an ayurvedic powder. And, as you've said, the need to sit before application is for color release only. This hasn't anything to do with conditioning/strengthening properties. Otherwise, it would not add any benefit to Vatika oil, seeing as Vatika does not add color.

I also don't see any need to use anywhere near a whole batch for results. If one teaspoon of brhingaraj can do the trick, I don't see why it would be necessary to use more henna... really, I was thinking of more of a blend anyhow. A tsp each, maybe of henna, brhingaraj and amla.

I dunno, I was just thinking out loud. Wondered if anyone had ever wondered the same. All responses have been apreciated, ladies. Thanks so much.

Hey that's an idea!!!!! Anyone ever thought of making their own Henna oil????

I can understand your reasons for not wanting to waste such a prescious thing. I'll definitely let you guys know if I find benefit.

I guess I was thinking that henna, too, is an ayurvedic powder. And, as you've said, the need to sit before application is for color release only. This hasn't anything to do with conditioning/strengthening properties. Otherwise, it would not add any benefit to Vatika oil, seeing as Vatika does not add color.

I also don't see any need to use anywhere near a whole batch for results. If one teaspoon of brhingaraj can do the trick, I don't see why it would be necessary to use more henna... really, I was thinking of more of a blend anyhow. A tsp each, maybe of henna, brhingaraj and amla.

I dunno, I was just thinking out loud. Wondered if anyone had ever wondered the same. All responses have been apreciated, ladies. Thanks so much.

I am sorry but I can not totally agree with the bolded as we are not fully aware of how long a process the henna had to sit steeping in the vatika oil to release before processing for commercial use. The conditioning power would be there yes, I agree but not to the degree a full strength use of henna would achieve. I am absolutely certain the processsing information was not on the bottle for us to make this summation. Again we cannot really be sure of how it will work until tried and tested. I must admit though, I appreciate your insight and thoughts on the eccentric use of henna and I am really curious to hear about your results.

Now the blend you suggested above is a wonderful idea as well epsecially for conditioning, moisturizing and strengthening, but not for coloring. This is indeed a blend that I myself would use but only as a paste and not as a rinse. I would really like my hair to absorb as much of the henna properties as possible. Again, keep us informed sheba1. Oh, and do take some before and after pics as well, that would be very helpful to us. I am quite anxious to see your results.

Hey that's an idea!!!!! Anyone ever thought of making their own Henna oil????

See what I'm sayin!? :yep: So many more benefits than only the traditional. Maybe we could make one with the same instructions as the lovely Sareca's for shikakai oil? thinking....

LOL, well, Ms. Aggie, we're just gonna have to agree to disagree. I don't remember anything about henna stating that it needed to sit for color release and conditioning/strengthening properties. I'm pretty sure I read that you should mix and use henna immediately in order to avoid color release but still receive conditioning/strengthening properties. Yeah, so I was just thinking of possibilities. Wanted to share thoughts, ya know?

Funny thing is, lots of us on this board are receiving benefit from the powders in unconventional ways. The box directions say use the whole box brhingaraj, amla, etc and make a paste for the hair. And someone decided to try it as a tea and found benefit. Heh... way to think outside of the "box". (oh yeah, pun totally intended!) :)

Last edited:
LOL, well, Ms. Aggie, we're just gonna have to agree to disagree. I don't remember anything about henna stating that it needed to sit for color release and conditioning/strengthening properties. I'm pretty sure I read that you should mix and use henna immediately in order to avoid color release but still receive conditioning/strengthening properties. Yeah, so I was just thinking of possibilities. Wanted to share thoughts, ya know?

Funny thing is, lots of us on this board are receiving benefit from the powders in unconventional ways. The box directions say use the whole box brhingaraj, amla, etc and make a paste for the hair. And someone decided to try it as a tea and found benefit. Heh... way to think outside of the "box". (oh yeah, pun totally intended!) :)

I have no intentions of disagreeing with you sheba1 and I am certainly not willing nor do I have the desire to argue this point further and with that said, I welcome your thoughts and I'm simply waiting to hear of your results, that's all. Sorry if I offended you. You live where you can possibly walk up the street and purchase henna but I do not and I did not want to be the "guinea pig" so to speak in this attempt with my somewhat restricted access to the product. Good luck with it!

I use henna from an Indian grocery store. I love it.

OT: Ooooh Bigghair, your natural hair in your siggy is absolutely gaw-jus. Nice and big and healthy looking too:yep:. I don't wear my hair natural but I do admire a beautiful head of healthy natural hair.

ok this weekend i did a few things different than i did in the past and the results were amazing.
1) for DD's hair i did a very thin watery solution, not quite a rinse, but not far from it, because i didnt want the color properties for her hair but did want the conditioning -- i took henna, maka, brahmi and yogurt and poured it over her hair, rung her hair out and put a plastic cap on it. left it on for a few hours, then rinsed with conditioner and then conditioned her hair and the outcome was absolutely beautiful - i am sure if she had the full treatment it would have been better, but this was definately worth the doing.
2) for me i did the above mix as a paste but added yogurt for the first time and i think the yogurt made a huge difference.
3) off this topic, but worth mentioning, i infused coffee in coconut oil and slept with that in my hair the night before this treatment - let me say - that the treatment was wonderful, when i woke up in the morning i think that was the best my hair had felt in a long time - but i would not recommend this treatment at night, cuz it took me until 4am to go to sleep - i infused it for several days so that probably explains that.

also - about the henna being used differently, i think the differing opinions are what make this forum the wonderful place that it is - because you learn so much from the different inputs, if we all agreed or saw it the same, this place would be bland and it definately wouldnt be as informative as it is. Aggie, you know i deeply respect your input (past and present) so please dont stop, and sheba1, innovation is the way to go in my book, keep it coming girl!
ok the heenera oil that i have has coconut oil, maka,amla,brahmi,jaswand(hibiscus rosinelis),neem,kapoorkhali,mehendi,almond,kumari(aloe barbadensis)
it is truly great - it says to leave it on overnight and wash in morning, but i use it similar to vatika and seal with it maybe once or twice a week(not more because i treat henna like a protien) and it really does do wonders for our hair.
it made me think the same thing that you are thinking sheba, that henna can be used in more ways than we think and i do plan to make my own mix as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back