Does anyone STILL deep condition???

beana3

I ask b/c I dont use heat anymore w/my condits and most of the time i'll leave something on for 10 mins and rinse.

I have even stopped using heat with my protein treatment (elasta BCS every other week)

UmSumayyah

I use heat with my ORS Hair Mayo, with my oil treatments, and my "heavy-duy" protein treatments.

sweetcocoa

I did after I tried the lime and coconut milk recipe because the limes dried my hair out. It helped put some moisture back in my hair. I'm going to try to do one(moisturizing only) once a month.

TinyT

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
beana3 said:
I ask b/c I dont use heat anymore w/my condits and most of the time i'll leave something on for 10 mins and rinse.

I have even stopped using heat with my protein treatment (elasta BCS every other week)

[/ QUOTE ]

If you don't have much time, I have heard good things about the aphogee 2 minute reconstructor. It is quick, isn't crunchy like the other aphogee, and readily accessable at sallys beauty. Check it out.
Tracy

Robin41

I deep condition weekly with Breakthru hair mayo mixed with honey and olive oil, but I don't use heat with it. I just put on a plastic cap and leave it on as long as I can -- overnight sometimes.

NAY007

i deep condition with every wash, i don't know i just love doing it. i'm actually looking forward to washing my hair and then really slather it with a thick conditioner. i don't know, maybe i'm a abnormal or something

adrienne0914

lemme just go head and say it... "never." i bought that Mastex Conditioning Cap last year, and it's gathering dust. i just like to be done when i get out of the shower. i don't wanna go back in. and my hair is too long to wash in the sink and feel like it's getting rinsed really well.

daviine

YAY!

I pretty much going to cut back my deep conditioning to 1x a week on the weekend. That will just so that I can my protein in --I think. I haven't worked it out yet though.

NAY007

adrienne,

why don't you wash your hair bend over the tub. do you have a removable shower head or is yours high up in the wall? cause i have a removable one and i couldn't even imagine going in and out of the tub/shower just for conditioning my hair girl. try it bend over.

Kitkat

I'll admit I'm doing this less and less. I don't remember the last time I pulled my hooded dryer out of the closet. I supplement using the dryer by covering my head with 2 plastic bags. Hey, I can feel that it generates heat, so maybe it's just as useful! Or so I hope!

NyRai

A good conditioner should pamper and protect the hair while working to strengthen hair by penetrating the hair shaft tohelp restore lost moisture.
Deep Conditioners is needed to penetrate the hair shaft to strengthen the hair, provide lubrication, and stimulate scalp ciculation You NEED to apply heat to your hair to allow the conditioner to penetrate. Heat causes the cuticle (outer layer of hair) to swell open, which allows the conditioner to go inside the hair shaft. Over conditioning can make you hair limp and unable to style. Hair needs time and the proper enivornment to become stronger. Just like a broken leg, the bone requires time to repair. The cast creates the eniviroment for that to take place. When you regularly deep condition your hair, the conditioner helps to create the perfect enviroment for beautiful hair growth!! No matter what you have read or been told in the past, there are no "instant" or "miracle" cures for hair growth or repair! TO know if you have a good conditioner, if after sitting under the dryer for a deep condition and there is a lot of water in the bottom of the plastic cap, then certainly it is not on your hair and its contents are mostly water. After a good deep conditioner, DO NOT allow you hair to dry without applying moisturizer, especially after you have just conditioned your hair with protein. Protein is very drying to hair when it is not moisturized, but as mentioned earlier it is also one of the requirements for having longer beautiful hair.

*Use only deep conditioning products to improve the condition of your hair.
**Deep Condition at least once a week
***USe a conditioner that strengthens,lubricates,and stimulates.
****Deep Condition the hair for 15-20 minutes, using HEAT to caue deep penetration.

Sorry, I'm new to the board.

NAY007

i slightly disagree with the above post in one point. i do not think that you need heat to deep condition your hair properly. i have never used heat in my whole life (except for two times at the salon) and i am always happy with the results i achieve.
i do agree with the rest of the post though

NyRai

NAY007 said:
i slightly disagree with the above post in one point. i do not think that you need heat to deep condition your hair properly. i have never used heat in my whole life (except for two times at the salon) and i am always happy with the results i achieve.
i do agree with the rest of the post though

[/ QUOTE ]

That's fine and I understand your experiences of not using heat.
But to me and in my mind I would think you would need heat to penatrate the hair shaft. WIthout the heat how would the Deep Conditioner get in to do its job which is </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Deep Conditioners is needed to penetrate the hair shaft to strengthen the hair, provide lubrication, and stimulate scalp ciculation You NEED to apply heat to your hair to allow the conditioner to penetrate. Heat causes the cuticle (outer layer of hair) to swell open, which allows the conditioner to go inside the hair shaft.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are two types of conditioners. They are instant conditioners and deep conditioner. The difference is that instant conditioners coat the hair, where as, deep conditioners penetrate. (need heat to do that)
Instant Conditioner generally go on the hair and are rinses out a short time later. The very small amount of this product stays on your hair gives it a temporay shine and makes it easier for the comb to glide through. The majority of it washes down the drain in the final rinse. Instant Conditioner, since it only coat the hair, give it the appearance of being in good condition. MOst if these contain wax to fill the cuticle openings so light reflects off the hair causing a shine and easier to handle. When you shoose instant conditioners, you have temporarily created the apperance of healthy hair. In most cases, it has done absolutly nothing to improve your hair's present conditon.

Armyqt

Welcome to the baord NyRai
. That post was very informative. It really reinforced what I already knew, but tried to push to the back of my mind due to laziness
. I'm gonna start doing my weekly deep conditionings again

NyRai

Kaela said:
That is quoted from Cathy Howse, correct?

[/ QUOTE ]

YES. I've been using her system for a year now. I started at 4 inches of hair. This is what I have learned and tried.

Paris Belle

Yes, I still deep condition and it does take time..I do a hot oil treatment for 20 min., deep condition for 30 min. and follow it up with a light conditioner for 15 min. (a moisturizing one, after I've applied a protein conditioner)...Wash day is really long and so I only do it once a week..

When I do a conditioner wash once a week with my regular wash, I plan to do this in the summer, I will only do a deep moisturizing condition with that..

NyRai

Supergirl said:
Welcome NyRai!

Girlfriend--I love my deep conditioning(s).
Thanks for the info.

[/ QUOTE ]
I do too!

Its giving my hair TLC