Does it really matter how Long you Condition your hair?

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Does it matter whether you condition your hair for 5 mins? 10 mins? 30 mins? 1 hr or more? with or without heat? /images/graemlins/drunk.gif

I use LeKair Cholesterol Plus and just leave it on my hair for about 10 minutes while I shower and then rinse it out. Is that sufficient enough??? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

I'm still somewhat clueless on conditioning and deep conditioning... can someone feel me in??? /images/graemlins/weird.gif

SouthernGirl

Hey Poohbear /images/graemlins/wave.gif,

I use the same conditioner whenever I deep-condition (LOVE THIS STUFF) and I leave it on for about 45 minutes to an hour with no heat.

When I was using heat, I'd leave it on for about 20 minutes. Since heat is not mandatory with this deep conditioner, I'd recommend putting it on and leaving it for about 45 minutes w/a plastic cap, then rinse.

You'll love the results!
SG

Poohbear

Thanks for your input, SG! /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Each week, I guess I'll just shampoo my hair, put the conditioner in my hair, get out the shower and let it sit for 30-45 minutes, then get back in and rinse it out! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

SouthernGirl

That's what I do when I use it. I hate stepping outta the shower, but I just do other things, like jump on the forum! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Kha

/images/graemlins/wave.gif

As long as I comb the conditioner through my hair, I pretty much get the same results regardless of how long it sits on there or whether or not I use heat. I haven't deep conditioned in a long time, but I do believe that using a little heat when deep conditioning is better. I remember reading something about how the heat helps open the hair shaft and allows the conditioner to penetrate better. You can use heat by sitting under a hard-cap or you can just put a plastic cap over your hair and your own body will generate the heat.

dreemssold

When I deep condition, I have to have my heat. It seems like my hair feels better, but honestly, I always use heat so I don't have anything to compare it to /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif. You ought to try with and without and let us know what you think /images/graemlins/wink.gif.

Poohbear

Okay. I usually use heat with ElastaQp Breakage Control Serum for 10-20mins (I consider my light protein treatment) and hot oil treatment with Hot Six Oil for the same amount of time. /images/graemlins/smile.gif I might just do the conditioner without heat for 30 minutes. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Thanks for your help ladies! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dale

I suggest you try dreemssold's suggestion and try it with and without so that you can compare for yourself.

I just started using LeKair (former deep conditioner was st. ives intensive treatment) and I decided to test heat or no heat b/c I did the same with st. ives. Well with st. ives heat was better but with LeKair my hair felt much softer with no heat.

Nenah

I'm like Dreemsold I love to add heat with my deep conditions and my regular ones. /images/graemlins/look.gif I guess they are all deep conditioners since I use heat but it feels like it's better to me.

Isis

I deep condition for 30-45 minutes, using Humectress. On my protein days, I condition for 20-30 minutes (Keraphix), followed by another 30 minutes using Humectress.

Ayeshia

I deep condition for fifteen minutes using ORS hair mayonaise or lustrasilks aloe vera cholesterol...it takes me about 5 minutes to wash my hair...and then 15 minutes to deep condition while Im in the shower. I hate stepping in and out of the shower, so I cut my deep conditining time in half. My hair is not severely damaged so I dont leave it on as long as the directions say to.

Poohbear

Well, I use heat with a protein treatment and hot oil treatment... won't it make my hair feel the same if I use my conditioner with heat? I'm also trying to avoid heat as much as possible. /images/graemlins/smile.gif I will try conditioning with and without heat, but I don't think it'll make a difference...what do you think??? /images/graemlins/weird.gif

moneychaser

Heat swells the hair cuticle allowing the conditioner to penetrate the shaft /images/graemlins/smile.gif You don't have to sit under the dry because body heat will warm the conditioner. Hair dryers just speed up the process....

ubavka123

[ QUOTE ]
Poohbear said:
Well, I use heat with a protein treatment and hot oil treatment... won't it make my hair feel the same if I use my conditioner with heat? I'm also trying to avoid heat as much as possible. /images/graemlins/smile.gif I will try conditioning with and without heat, but I don't think it'll make a difference...what do you think??? /images/graemlins/weird.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I have often wondered the same. So, I test. Some cond's I have used w/ heat and hated, but w/o heat and absolutely loved! Now I know which ones I do w/ heat and w/o. I really agree with whoever said to test. It makes sense. In my experience, the results are not always the same (at least as far as the feel/softness of the hair. Maybe the conditioning benefits are the same--I can't say). This is beneficial heat, but if you want to avoid, you can also test by leaving the cond's on w/o heat for different times to see if it is really all the same.

Britt

[ QUOTE ]
dreemssold said:
When I deep condition, I have to have my heat. It seems like my hair feels better, but honestly, I always use heat so I don't have anything to compare it to /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif. You ought to try with and without and let us know what you think /images/graemlins/wink.gif.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is funny, I get the complete opposite effect. I have tried using heat (dryer for about 15min) many a time with my conditioners and my hair never feels better afterwards. The only conditioners I use heat with are my protien conditioners. I find when I leave my conditioner on for about 1-2 hrs. with a plastic cap and light towel the conditioner penetraits a lot better.

sengschick

The Bun Master
A few things:

1) W/proteins always follow the useage instructions. If it directs 15-20 w/heat, use heat and do not extend longer than 20 mins. The formula was created to be used w/heat (esp Elasta's Breakage Control Serum) it was also not made for extended use (too much protein, which will cause drying /images/graemlins/down.gif )

2) B/c of the structure of curly hair it takes longer for the conditioner to reach the depths of the hair shaft. Therefore it is recommended that you use heat for 20 mins to gain full benefit of the conditioner. If you choose to luse only body heat it takes an hour.

As far as staying away from heat.... I use a heating cap and not my bonnet. But whichever you choose you aren't damaging your hair by using heat in this form, it's indirect and minimal. The heat in this case is actually beneficial.

Poohbear

Thanks sengschick! Everything you said makes sense. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I've always used heat when I use Elasta QP Breakage Control Serum and always follow their exact directions.

With conditioners, I'm kinda new to the concept. The directions on most conditioners I've seen say leave on for a few minutes then rinse out. Then when I joined this forum, I see ladies using conditioner for 30 minutes or more on their hair! When I was younger, my mom would seldom use conditioner on my hair, and when she did, she would leave it on for 2-5 minutes withOUT heat and rinse it out. She said if I left it on longer, it would dry my hair out. Who knows?

So I guess it doesn't matter whether you use heat for conditioners, as long as you leave it on for a longer period of time if you're not using heat! /images/graemlins/wink.gif

LABETT

I have seen a big difference since I started deep conditioning with a heat cap for 45 minutes compared to leaving conditioner on for 10 to 20 minutes without heat.
My hair seems to be more moisturized.