Does your hair break when too moisterized?

calliope

I have a strange problem, my hair breaks when it is too dry, but it also breaks when it is too moisterized. It seems that when I try to really keep it moist, it breaks off and becomes quite fragile. I wonder if it could be the moisterizer- i currently use UBH- does this happen to anyone else? I'm a 4a/b is there a moisterizer out there that isn't too heavy and won't break off my hair, but also keeps excessive dryness at bay?

Jada

Yes, yes, and yes finally someone with the same problem that I have I noticed the same thing with the UBH Moisturizer...and some other oil moisturizers as well...what I use now and I have noticed a great improvement is Mane n Tail conditioner mixed with Jojoba oil just 3 drops through out my hair then I will treat the ends with a dab of the mane n tail conditioner and a dab of water on the ends...and so far so good I don't see the little hairs with the conditioner & water like I did with the oil moisturizers...go figure...I hope that this will continue I was really getting worried everytime I would moisturize my ends I would see hair...my hair is 3c in the back 4a elsewhere and it is very fine what is your hair type...

HoneyDew

I have that problem if I need a good condition and if I use the wrong Moisturizer. I have tried them all, but only a few seem to moisturize w/o breakage as I apply them to the length of my hair - Profectiv Root Health or Break Free and Culture Wrap and Smooth Cream (my fav because it does not revert my flat ironed hair).

Bmm

I thought that I was the only one. I suffer both ways. I have to find a medium.

pink_flower

Yes this can happen. It means your hair is lacking a balance of protein and moisture. I would try and find a nice mild protein conditioner.

I use UBH and don't have any problems.

calliope

Should I try something like Keraphix? Aphogee can be a real beast sometimes. I'm just so tired of smoothing tons of little hairs off of my head when I seriously moisterize - and don't EVEN get me started about using something like vaseline on my baggied ends, I might as well just kiss them good-bye.... anymore ideas, ladies? This is such a ridiculous problem to have.

pink_flower

calliope said:
Should I try something like Keraphix? Aphogee can be a real beast sometimes. I'm just so tired of smoothing tons of little hairs off of my head when I seriously moisterize - and don't EVEN get me started about using something like vaseline on my baggied ends, I might as well just kiss them good-bye.... anymore ideas, ladies? This is such a ridiculous problem to have.

Yes Keraphix is good. I would probably use it until I see improvement then I would rotate with my regualar moisturizing conditioner.

Also is your hair constantly moist/wet? I know some people don't respond well to contant wet bun.

Last edited:

HoneyDew

Also, I notice that when I wash and condition more often, I don't have this problem as much. I don't really have to use much moisturizer on my hair when I wash every 3 days or so.

Hair Peace

I think this is what's happening to me now! I've been extra good about moisturizing, but yesterday I had tons of breakage and shedding! OMG!:eek: I literally have been sitting in front of the tv every night going section by section to moisturize my hair.

Back to the lab to get my emergencee and keraphix!:)

HoneyDew

I just started using Culture MoistureAid conditioner and I have not had any problems with this. It's a miracle!

Monday night I washed with CON Ultra Moisturizing, towel dried and then drowned my hair with a mixture of the Moistureaid, CON reconstructoring conditioner and Capillo Milk and Honey rinse.

I did not even sit under the dryer or cover with one of those conditoning caps. I just left it on for 20 min or so before rinsing it out.

I blowdried with Keracare Silken Seal (I use more than the bottle suggest) and Flat ironed w/o any additional product.

My hair is still so soft and moisturized and it is now Wednesday. Every morning I have been just putting a little WGO on my hair and spraying Kenra Silkening Mist on it (love this stuff).

I also did this last Friday, but I messed it all up by putting too much moisturizing cream on it - too much build up. This seems to work better if I refrain from using too much product.

No breakage at all, even in the back - my problem area.

This is the 1st time that I have washed and pressed without breakage on the in-between days. Like I said it's a miracle.

maryj1584

i went crazy,and bought like 4 moisturizers from the BSS one day and put them all in my rollerset, couple of days later my hair is totally over moisurized. Well the strands got mushy and it started to break off. A light protein condish would probalby fix my prob.

Candy_C

the longer my hair grows, n the older then ends (i haven't trimmed in over 6 months) the more protein i need. i used 2 use lots of moisturizor and my hair would surely snap and get brittle from the weight of it all.

just dont over do it on the moisture unless you have found a balance between the protein content in ur hair and the moisture. i have found out that i need 60% protein conditioner treats and 40% moisture a month. i use a good moisturizor a day thats why i agree with the fact my hair breaks whn i have too much moisture goin on - my hair is loving protein this winter!

devin

i have read this post and i just posted about my ponytail shedding and breaking. after reading this i think my ponytail is getting too much moisture. my ponytail is constantly wet and baggied with vaseline,and i have been seeing broken hairs and shedding hairs no matter how gently i handle my hair. i think i will put a halt on the vaseline and baggie and just keep my ends moisturized and see if that helps.

mommatide

I JUST GOT RELAXED 2 WEEKS AGO AND SAW HARDLY ANY BREAKAGE AND VERY LITTLE SHEDDING. I WASHED AND SET MY HAIR TODAY, AND DAMMIT I SEE LITTLE HAIRS AGAIN. I JUST DON'T GET IT.

MY HAIR WAS RELAXED, BLOWDRIED AND FLATIRONED AND I HAD NO PROBLEM. I WASH,CON, SET AND MOISTURIZE...PROBLEM:perplexed I JUST DON'T GET IT

RELAXED 4A

CAPlush

I think sometimes your hair shaft can absorb too much water and burst. My hair breaks when wet too. I can't do frequent washes, and it is better for me to dry my hair under a hood dryer or blow dryer than to try to air dry and have my hair wet for a day or more. I think your best bet may by an oil-based moisturizer. I use WGO, but I think something like EVOO could work just fine.

peacelove

calliope said:
I have a strange problem, my hair breaks when it is too dry, but it also breaks when it is too moisterized. It seems that when I try to really keep it moist, it breaks off and becomes quite fragile. I wonder if it could be the moisterizer- i currently use UBH- does this happen to anyone else? I'm a 4a/b is there a moisterizer out there that isn't too heavy and won't break off my hair, but also keeps excessive dryness at bay?

YES! I have this same problem and I just started a thread about my hair breaking more from air drying. My hair does the best with roller sets and daily light oil. As long as I can keep that slip, my hair stays on my head.

harigeek

I had the same problem with the UBH moisturizer. I think it's because of the water content. My hair is thin and fine so I'm thinking maybe too much water is not good for it ??
I don't have another moisturizer to recommend. Right now I'm using World of Curls Spray conditionerl/activator to see if I can cut down on some of the breakage.
Keep in mind that wet hair is the most fragile so manipulating the hair in any way when wet will most likely cause breakage.
Good luck!

calliope said:

~*~ShopAholic~*~

I found out I have this problem too, today. I knew it wasn't because of lack of moisture and was trying to figure out if I was missing the strength/lack of protein. I wish I would have found this post hours ago, I did a Nexxus Emergencee treatment and NOOOOOOOOOO more breakage, WOHOOOO!! I'm so excited, this means no trimming necessary.:D

Hair Peace

My hair is doing this again! I just applied oil to my hair for a pre-poo and I got tons of breakage!:eek: Do you think that could be it? Would it really take effect that fast?

LovelyZ

It could be an ingredient in the moisturizer that you are using. Stop using it and try something different to see if you have the same problem.

cheri_flava74

Yes. I noticed this when I went natural and starting doing CW daily because I heard such good things about it. My hair would become soooooooooo dry and would not respond to any moisturizer or conditioner the next day. I didn't put much of anything in my hair either. Soon as I would wash my hair and conditioned it, it became so soft and not dry. As a relaxed head I tried CW when I wore my hair in a bun and the same thing happened. My hair is more happier when I wash and condition frequently and it grows alot when I do this.

Today I was talking with my daughter's aunt who is a cosmetologist and she said the same thing. She was talking about too much protein being drying and causing breakage and then she said too much moisturizer would do the same. She says it makes the hair to fragile which would cause it to easily break.

VelvetRain

This used to happen to me. It took a lot of trial and error to find the right forumulation of products that didn't overmoisturize my hair. For me Kenra is perfect. Humectress makes my hair too soft that it breaks.

Hair Peace

LovelyZ said:
It could be an ingredient in the moisturizer that you are using. Stop using it and try something different to see if you have the same problem.

Thanks LovelyZ. Apparently hollywood beauty olive oil doesn't agree with me. I washed it out and used emergencee and my hair is fine now.:)

Lady_Lioness

I noticed this happening when I was doing daily co-washes this summer...my hair was feeling too soft and mushy...and as a result I was experiencing shedding and little bit of breakage...I had to stop it immediately...I then tried co-washing 2x a week...and that helped.