Jheri Juice / Curl Activator - The Best Thing For Length Retention? 2018 Revival

aishae

Hi all!

After 10 years of lurking (I've been on this forum since I was 16 - you'd think I'd have hair down to the floor, right?) I've finally bought a subscription.

There's a wonderful 'Jheri Juice' thread from 2010 where members discuss their experiences, most being positive. One lady grew her hair from SL to WL using the juice! :spinning:

However, I would love to revive the topic and get some more recent accounts of your experiences.

Jheri Juices include products like S-Curl No Drip Activator, Hawaiian Silky 14 in 1, Care Free Curl Gold or Sta Sof Fro.

Does curl activator help you retain length? Do you have any before/after pics? Did you experience moisture overload? What's your fave? Is it a holy grail for you? All stories are welcome :D

Personally I am using S-Curl No Drip Activator for my bun styles and it keeps my ends moist and soft all day. My breakage has significantly reduced, my hair is thickening (from being hydrated and not using heat) and my hair is so soft. S-Curl is definitely my favourite hair product!

What's your experience?

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I am also using S-Curl No Drip along w/SB for Detangling & Retention thanks to @Chicoro.

I have discovered S-Curl is a much cheaper version/dupe of KCKT. It definitely reminds me of KCKT. But I can get 32 oz for what 8oz of KCKT costs.

So far, the S-Curl has been working fine and detangling like a champ. I also have Carefree Gold in my Stash, but read a couple posters said this particular product made their hair dry.

It's cheap, inexpensive and effective.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I've been wanting to try KCKT so I'm glad you told me it's similar.

I recently tried Carefree Gold and while it made my hair soft and shiny, I felt it was greasy rather than moisturising.
@aishae
YUP. S-Curl is a great dupe for KCKT.:yep: Same color, consistency and results.

Thanks for your input on Carefree Gold.:up:

natural2008

@natural2008
Are you using Luster's S-Curl or the Carefree Gold?
Or have you tried both? So, you didn't experience "dryness" with CFG?

I use the carefree curl gold (gold bottle with the red top). Nope my hair stays moisturized. I use it how @I Am So Blessed uses it. I have the lusters ( white bottle blue writing) in my stash but it has a stronger scent to it.

Coilystep

@imperial_acquisitions
I am also using S-Curl No Drip along w/SB for Detangling & Retention thanks to @Chicoro.

I have discovered S-Curl is a much cheaper version/dupe of KCKT. It definitely reminds me of KCKT. But I can get 32 oz for what 8oz of KCKT costs.

So far, the S-Curl has been working fine and detangling like a champ. I also have Carefree Gold in my Stash, but read a couple posters said this particular product made their hair dry.

I love kckt. I may have to try it.

RossBoss

I am using Long Aid Activator. I went natural less than a year ago and bought several activators to test them out. I have used Carefree Curl Gold, currently using Long Aid and then will test World of Curls Extra Dry. I will then decide which i like best but so far so good and I foresee activator being a permanent part of my hair regimen because of the moisture that it imparts on my dry hair.

aishae

I am using Long Aid Activator. I went natural less than a year ago and bought several activators to test them out. I have used Carefree Curl Gold, currently using Long Aid and then will test World of Curls Extra Dry. I will then decide which i like best but so far so good and I foresee activator being a permanent part of my hair regimen because of the moisture that it imparts on my dry hair.
Yes, activator is definitely a staple! I wish Long Aid was available in the UK :(

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly

Bolded because this is facts!

I usually make my own glycerin and water mix, but S-curl is much easier to deal with and cheap. I top either with Shea Butter and it’s bomb.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
@Coilystep
I know you do!:giggle:.....:love2:

Right now, I am using both S-Curl and KCKT.

I used KCKT yesterday (only because it was closer) and still cannot tell the difference between the two performance-wise (except the scent).
The only thing I’ve noticed is that KCKT builds up over time and I have to clarify. I noticed this after 4-5 uses. I don’t have that issue with s-curl or glycerin and water.

Ltown

Greyland
Hello i'm using creme of nature curl activator, once for wash go, usually just for twist out i let it dry. its little sticky i guess its the glycerin but i wanted to try it, got punk with the other oils in the ingredient. definitely difference that the curl activator from back in the day. i'll use up won't buy it again, i really don't like glycerin.
ingredients : Aqua/Water/Eau, Glycerin, Propylene Glycol, Butylene Glycol, Cetearyl Alcohol, Parfum (Fragrance), Polyquatemium-11, PVP, Polyquatemium-10, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Argania Spinosa Kernel Oil, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Mangifera Indica (Mango) Seed Butter, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter, Simmondsia Chinensis (JojOba) Seed Oil, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, Persea Gratissma (Avocado) Oil, Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil, Sodium Acetate, Isopropyl Alcohol, Benzyl Benzoate, Limonene, Linalool, Phenoxyethanol, Benzyl Alcohol.

Sosoothing

I have used a variety of curl activators over the years.
They moisturize well and help me retain length. It's also easier for me to detangle when I use activator and oils or shea butter.
I have tried s-curl, sta-sof-fro and Hawaiian silky curl activator so far. I think they all work well. Hawaiian silky is my favorite currently.

FoxxyLocs

I tried S curl and didn't really see any difference in my hair. I used it on damp hair and sealed with Shea butter. It didn't seem to have any effect, and it felt sticky. Maybe I'll try it as a leave in for my wash and go?

sunflora

Flowah Powah
What are the key ingredients for this? Is it the glycerin? I've avoided them due to mineral oil. I wanted to like Hawaiian Silky, but I think that one was guilty of mineral oil which dries my hair no matter what.

aishae

What are the key ingredients for this? Is it the glycerin? I've avoided them due to mineral oil. I wanted to like Hawaiian Silky, but I think that one was guilty of mineral oil which dries my hair no matter what.
You might like S-Curl - it's paraben and mineral oil free. Who knows, it might be your new staple!

Here are the ingredients: Deionized Water (Aqua), glycerin, Cetearyl alcohol, propylene glycol, Argan Oil (Argania Spinosa Kernel Oil), Olive Oil (Olea Europaea Fruit Oil), Acetamide MEA, Ceteth-20, Olealkonium Chloride, Stearalkonium Chloride, Panthenol (Provitamin B5), Simethicone, DMDM HYDANTOIN, Disodium EDTA, fragrance, Benzyl Benzoate, linalool, Benzyl Salicylate, limonene, Coumarin, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone

aishae

I tried S curl and didn't really see any difference in my hair. I used it on damp hair and sealed with Shea butter. It didn't seem to have any effect, and it felt sticky. Maybe I'll try it as a leave in for my wash and go?
It can deffo feel sticky if you use too much. I personally find S-Curl tangles my hair when it's applied wet. However, on dry hair my strands BOW DOWN in submission. When my hair is misbehaving I bring out the S-Curl and it sorts everything.