Faking 3C texture with twistouts?

Super_Hero_Girl

I recently read a topic on this board where someone continuously applied large amounts of products to her hair to get a curly/3c style texture, becuase she wanted her hair to appear to be "good hair" (her words) and never wore her hair with her natural texture showing. I also read a different topic on this board where numerous members were trying to convince another member that her texture was 3c instead of 4a, when it CLEARLY wasn't. The obsession with curly/looser hair rather than nappy is rampant on this board and it's also great in "real life" as well, so if someone wants to have a great sense of pride in wearing their natural texture then more power to them! When I notice threads like the one's I mentioned above then it is evident where strong ideas about braidouts can arise from. Sure, some people who posted to this topic may not do their braidouts for reasons that the OP's friend mentioned, but there are plenty of others to counter that, even if they won't admit it. The obsession with curl definition is evident all around, so I can understand where the OP's friend might be coming from.... It sounds like the op's friend is just a person confortable in herself and her opinons.

dynamic1

I don't believe in Andre's system. However, anyone with "3 B/Cish" hair can make a fro. So are they being accused of faking type "4b" hair? I doubt it.

To each his own.

jwhitley6

Super_Hero_Girl said:
I recently read a topic on this board where someone continuously applied large amounts of products to her hair to get a curly/3c style texture, becuase she wanted her hair to appear to be "good hair" (her words) and never wore her hair with her natural texture showing. quote]

I believe you are talking about my post, but you need to re-read it because you mis-quoted me. I don't want to cause a fight here, but I hate when people do that and I thought I'd voice my displeasure publicly.:mad:

Gryphyn

Super_Hero_Girl said:
The obsession with curly/looser hair rather than nappy is rampant on this board and it's also great in "real life" as well, so if someone wants to have a great sense of pride in wearing their natural texture then more power to them! When I notice threads like the one's I mentioned above then it is evident where strong ideas about braidouts can arise from. Sure, some people who posted to this topic may not do their braidouts for reasons that the OP's friend mentioned, but there are plenty of others to counter that, even if they won't admit it. The obsession with curl definition is evident all around, so I can understand where the OP's friend might be coming from.... It sounds like the op's friend is just a person confortable in herself and her opinons.

I'm sorry, I have to disagree with the bolded part :( . I'm on here every day (I know, I know:lol:), and I haven't noticed any rampant obsession with looser curled hair.

I'm at least going to speak for myself and say this: I don't wear my "natural" texture (which I guess would be what my hair looks like after I wash it) because I will lose a lot of hair the next time I detangle due to shrinkage making my hair more difficult to detangle. So it's twists, twist outs, and braidouts for me. And IA with the other posters, my twistouts don't look like 3c, they look like 4a hair in a twistout. It's just a preference.

Last edited:

Super_Hero_Girl

jwhitley6 said:
Super_Hero_Girl said:
I recently read a topic on this board where someone continuously applied large amounts of products to her hair to get a curly/3c style texture, becuase she wanted her hair to appear to be "good hair" (her words) and never wore her hair with her natural texture showing.

I believe you are talking about my post, but you need to re-read it because you mis-quoted me. I don't want to cause a fight here, but I hate when people do that and I thought I'd voice my displeasure publicly.:mad:

No uproar from me I do not mind the "public disagreement" and I have no need to argue, it's all love and honesty from me. I did go back and re-read your topic as you directed.... and I still get the same message from it.

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
dynamic1 said:
I don't believe in Andre's system. However, anyone with "3 B/Cish" hair can make a fro. So are they being accused of faking type "4b" hair? I doubt it.

To each his own.

Exactly! My hair can easily go from a 4a/b look to a 2c/3a look, it doesn't take even an hour and I never use heat. Either comb out when dried: 4a/b look or let hair dry in a bun or something similar: 2c/3a look. When dried without touching: 3b/c.

To me that is a natural part of what my hair is like, that is perfectly natural to me. And trust me, the longer your hair gets, the more impossible it will be to let your hair air dry without putting it in a bun or something while it's drying, unless you have a whole day to stay at home or can walk around at work with dripping loose hair :ohwell:

Koffie

Super_Hero_Girl said:
No uproar from me I do not mind the "public disagreement" and I have no need to argue, it's all love and honesty from me. I did go back and re-read your topic as you directed.... and I still get the same message from it.

What thread was this in? :sekret:

ThickHair

This is what I get from her post. Not that people do a twistout to fake being a 3c. I think it is when people do a twist out and tell people that is there natural hair curl definition.

sareca

Super_Hero_Girl said:
I recently read a topic on this board where someone continuously applied large amounts of products to her hair to get a curly/3c style texture, becuase she wanted her hair to appear to be "good hair" (her words) and never wore her hair with her natural texture showing. I also read a different topic on this board where numerous members were trying to convince another member that her texture was 3c instead of 4a, when it CLEARLY wasn't. The obsession with curly/looser hair rather than nappy is rampant on this board and it's also great in "real life" as well, so if someone wants to have a great sense of pride in wearing their natural texture then more power to them! When I notice threads like the one's I mentioned above then it is evident where strong ideas about braidouts can arise from. Sure, some people who posted to this topic may not do their braidouts for reasons that the OP's friend mentioned, but there are plenty of others to counter that, even if they won't admit it. The obsession with curl definition is evident all around, so I can understand where the OP's friend might be coming from.... It sounds like the op's friend is just a person confortable in herself and her opinons.

Ya know, there are different levels of vegetarianism (ova-lacto, vegan, whatever the ones that eat fish are called). Some of them feel the need to distinguish their type of vegetarianism from others so they use said names. Others are Ok with being all lumped together. The term natural is like that to me now. Some people think halos (relaxing the edges) are ok, some people think anything not straight is ok (texturizing), still others think only juices and berries is ok. There are different degrees of naturalness. But ya'll gotta admit some people (not everybody) do go after that "mixed chick" look via super shiny, product loaded, brick hard twistouts. I can't recall if I've seen an extreme case here, but I've see it out in the world.

rrolle234

Chinagem said:
I think she (and others that think that way) take their hair too seriously. IT'S JUST HAIR! GEESH! It's a hairstyle. That's it. I don't think it's faking anything.
Right.. If I think waves are cute then so be it ... its not that serious

jwhitley6

ThickHair said:
This is what I get from her post. Not that people do a twistout to fake being a 3c. I think it is when people do a twist out and tell people that is there natural hair curl definition.

I think that's the kicker...it's about what you tell people when they ask...and they will ask. It's about being honest with yourself and others...I don't think there's anything "wrong" with styling your hair however you want to. It's just hard to classify it sometimes.

I like what Sereca says about vegetarians/vegans, etc. What is "natural"? It's all subjective.

beyondcute

Here's what I think... :) I think that when the only style you wear is a twist out or you continuously load products on your hair to weigh down and stretch out the curls you might as well get a texturizer. Her opinion was asked and she gave an aswer. She likes the beauty of her natural texture without the aid or rollers or twists etc. When people do twist outs they are trying to get their hair to have defined ringlets. When they do a braid out they are trying to get defined krimps. I think that if she wants to wear her hair naturally without having it resemble a texture that is not naturally hers then thats okay. Not militant at all. Recently I have come to grips that 3c hair does nor exist. It was made up for those peopel who didnt exactly fit into the 3b or 4a category but thats goes to show that everyone doesnt fit into every category. I say bump the typing system. My hair is unique. Doesnt fit anyones type.... Its type M3

dynamic1

beyondcute said:
Here's what I think... :) I think that when the only style you wear is a twist out or you continuously load products on your hair to weigh down and stretch out the curls you might as well get a texturizer.

I don't get this logic. Some just don't want the relaxer/texturizer.

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
beyondcute said:
Here's what I think... :) I think that when the only style you wear is a twist out or you continuously load products on your hair to weigh down and stretch out the curls you might as well get a texturizer. Her opinion was asked and she gave an aswer. She likes the beauty of her natural texture without the aid or rollers or twists etc. When people do twist outs they are trying to get their hair to have defined ringlets. When they do a braid out they are trying to get defined krimps. I think that if she wants to wear her hair naturally without having it resemble a texture that is not naturally hers then thats okay. Not militant at all. Recently I have come to grips that 3c hair does nor exist. It was made up for those peopel who didnt exactly fit into the 3b or 4a category but thats goes to show that everyone doesnt fit into every category. I say bump the typing system. My hair is unique. Doesnt fit anyones type.... Its type M3

I agree with you that 3C doesn't exist.

I also respect ole girls right to wear her hair as she wants.

With that said, I do see the militancy in what she is doing and it's kind of sad. "I'm not going to explore the versatility of my hair and the options that are open to me just in case somebody thinks I'm doing it because I of self hatred." Does it make you more free if you limit yourself?

As for the people who only wear twistouts or use curl defining product, etc. - I think that if we could step out of the 'it's about black self hate' and acknowledge that it is human to appreciate symetry-maybe the issue wouldn't be so divisive. Perfectly defined hair in whatever form is symetrical. That is why in their hay day halo afros were more mainstream than chunky ones. So why would people not seek symetry when it comes to other hair styles?

jwhitley6

JCoily said:
I agree with you that 3C doesn't exist.

I also respect ole girls right to wear her hair as she wants.

With that said, I do see the militancy in what she is doing and it's kind of sad. "I'm not going to explore the versatility of my hair and the options that are open to me just in case somebody thinks I'm doing it because I of self hatred." Does it make you more free if you limit yourself?

As for the people who only wear twistouts or use curl defining product, etc. - I think that if we could step out of the 'it's about black self hate' and acknowledge that it is human to appreciate symetry-maybe the issue wouldn't be so divisive. Perfectly defined hair in whatever form is symetrical. That is why in their hay day halo afros were more mainstream than chunky ones. So why would people not seek symetry when it comes to other hair styles?

JCoily, I always love your posts...just thought I'd let you know.:grin:

beyondcute

Originally Posted by beyondcute
Here's what I think... I think that when the only style you wear is a twist out or you continuously load products on your hair to weigh down and stretch out the curls you might as well get a texturizer.

dynamic1:
I don't get this logic. Some just don't want the relaxer/texturizer.

me again :) :
Pardon me. I this was MY logic.... Also known as an opinion but Ill try and explain further. I was speaking from my point of view and a few other naturals. I believe that my hair is fine the way it is and that without additives (whatever it may be) my hair doesnt look like a 'hot mess' as some other naturals have described thier hair. I feel as though, if you dont like your hair the way it is, the way it naturally grows out of your scalp, and you have to camoflauge it or load products onto it so it can 'act right' then you might as well texturize it or relax it so that you wont have to waste your time, money, or energy making threads about how your natural hair 'doesnt act right,' or how 'it looks a hot mess' without products in it.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
beyondcute said:
me again :) :
Pardon me. I this was MY logic.... Also known as an opinion but Ill try and explain further. I was speaking from my point of view and a few other naturals. I believe that my hair is fine the way it is and that without additives (whatever it may be) my hair doesnt look like a 'hot mess' as some other naturals have described thier hair. I feel as though, if you dont like your hair the way it is, the way it naturally grows out of your scalp, and you have to camoflauge it or load products onto it so it can 'act right' then you might as well texturize it or relax it so that you wont have to waste your time, money, or energy making threads about how your natural hair 'doesnt act right,' or how 'it looks a hot mess' without products in it.
That may very well be true, but I haven't seen anyone here at LHCF with this attitude of "My Hair Doesn't Act Right or It Looks A Hot Mess So I'm Gonna' Load It With Products To Make It Look Like Good Hair". I think that's the main reason why dynamic1 is questioning what you said...

dynamic1

Poohbear said:
That may very well be true, but I haven't seen anyone here at LHCF with this attitude of "My Hair Doesn't Act Right or It Looks A Hot Mess So I'm Gonna' Load It With Products To Make It Look Like Good Hair". I think that's the main reason why dynamic1 is questioning what you said...

Exactly Poohbear. It's a hairstyle. Some people like blow outs, shake & go's, etc. And one does not have to load their hair with products to do a twist-out. I fully understand everyone has an opinion and if you provide one, it's okay for someone to give feedback or their own opinion.

"Be Easy"

caligirl

dynamic1 said:
"Be Easy"

My sentiments exactly. Why is this topic getting so heated? How many people jump out of the shower and go? What is so wrong with adding products and styling the hair?