Fenugreek??? Yes, Pease!

MissMasala5

Anyone else here use fenugreek for their hair? I have been using it for a month or so now, and it is supposed to boost hair growth and strength. I normally use it for cooking, but in my research of all things Ayurvedic, I learned that it contains plant sterols that promote hair growth in a similar manner in which it promotes lactation in nursing moms. So I began using the tea to mix my pastes instead of water. I also added some to my water spritz bottle. Then I bought the pure fenugreek extract, and added it to my DCs, my oil moisturizer, my leave-in, my prepoo mix, and my nightly bhringaraj scalp massage oil.

For those of you that use fenugreek, have you noticed a difference in your hair?

ajargon02

Anyone else here use fenugreek for their hair? I have been using it for a month or so now, and it is supposed to boost hair growth and strength. I normally use it for cooking, but in my research of all things Ayurvedic, I learned that it contains plant sterols that promote hair growth in a similar manner in which it promotes lactation in nursing moms. So I began using the tea to mix my pastes instead of water. I also added some to my water spritz bottle. Then I bought the pure fenugreek extract, and added it to my DCs, my oil moisturizer, my leave-in, my prepoo mix, and my nightly bhringaraj scalp massage oil.

For those of you that use fenugreek, have you noticed a difference in your hair?

this sounds very interesting!! I will have to do my research and maybe try some!!

Dayjoy

Old School Member
I took fenugreek when I was nursing, but that was a while ago so I don't remember any hair effects (besides, who remembers anything from that time). What differences in your hair have you noticed?

MissMasala5

I took fenugreek when I was nursing, but that was a while ago so I don't remember any hair effects (besides, who remembers anything from that time). What differences in your hair have you noticed?

It is hard to say exactly since I use so many other things in my regi. But my hair seems to have more shine without products, and feels much thicker. My hair has grown a lot since I started Ayurvedics back last November. I began using fenugreek kind of recently. I'll do another length check in a month to see if there is anything significant.

Aggie

Medmunky, other than the extract, how else are you using fenugreek. Is it in a powder form and if so how are you making the tea? In other words, give us an idea of what the actual recipe looks like and how to use it.

PassionFruit

here's a few of my posts on fenugreek

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=208249&highlight=fenugreek

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=215221&highlight=fenugreek&page=2
tea rinses....

2 or 3 teaspoons of the Ayurvedic powder /Indian seeds/ herbs/leaves of your choice.... steep in a couple of cups with boiling water for a few minutes.... strain out the mucilage and pour the remaining tea ( once cooled) over your hair

I work nights... I make a weeks batch worth at a time & put into a spray bottle... when I get home I spray the tea on my hair until saturated.... cover with plastic cap, then put a scarf on top... go to sleep... a few hours later, I wake up, shower & co-wash my hair, moisturize, seal & style( usually twist/braid for twistout)...If im not too lazy, I pre-poo with mustard oil before I out the tea rinse on my hair

PassionFruit

When are you coming out of braids? I can't wait to see your results!

well.... these were supposed to last a month but Im barely gonna make 3 weeks cuz they are so loose ( were loose to start with)

I wanted to just rebraid the same day but I think curiosity has gotten the best of me... Im going home for special party next week... gonna get a Dominican blowout on next Friday ( 18th) & post pics in my fotki then rebraid on Monday after

aurora3140

I used to try natural breast enhancement and the ladies on the board I visited used fenugreek to help enlarge their breasts. I didn't stayed with it long, because the fenugreek capsules and tea made my sweat smell like syrup :nono:. Has anyone noticed this, or their twins getting bigger :grin:?

PassionFruit

I used to try natural breast enhancement and the ladies on the board I visited used fenugreek to help enlarge their breasts. I didn't stayed with it long, because the fenugreek capsules and tea made my sweat smell like syrup :nono:. Has anyone noticed this, or their twins getting bigger :grin:?

my pillowcases smell like Syrup... I posted that on another thread... I havent ingested the fenugreek so Im still a member of the IBTC and my sweat just smells well.... sweaty :grin::grin::grin:

MissMasala5

Medmunky, other than the extract, how else are you using fenugreek. Is it in a powder form and if so how are you making the tea? In other words, give us an idea of what the actual recipe looks like and how to use it.

The first time, I added the powder directly to my other powders, made a paste, rinsed. Well! When the granules mix with water, they release a mucilage, so it was like rinsing cooked glue grits out of my hair! Learned my lesson.

The next time, I put a couple teaspoons or so in a pot of 2 cups boiled water, covered, let steep for about 10-15 minutes. I strained through a coffe filter paper, then stored this tea and added it to my powders instead of regular water. I also added some to a water bottle. It left a gel-like factor to my hair. It was weird. My hair looked oily and hard, like I gelled it, but it was soft! I would pour a little tea into my hands, and apply it directly to my scalp, massage, then do oil massage.

I bought the pure extract, since it is more concentrated. I added drops to my products mentioned before. I still make the tea for my powder pastes when I do them. I'll have a better idea in a month if it is affecting growth.

aurora3140

my pillowcases smell like Syrup... I posted that on another thread... I havent ingested the fenugreek so Im still a member of the IBTC and my sweat just smells well.... sweaty :grin::grin::grin:

LOL at the acronym! Me too, girl! I'm glad to know the fenugreek was causing the smell.

MissMasala5

Breast enhancement, huh? Hmmm...just though of another way in which to use this extract. Now where's my jar of body creme... :sekret:

JustKiya

The first time, I added the powder directly to my other powders, made a paste, rinsed. Well! When the granules mix with water, they release a mucilage, so it was like rinsing cooked glue grits out of my hair! Learned my lesson.

The next time, I put a couple teaspoons or so in a pot of 2 cups boiled water, covered, let steep for about 10-15 minutes. I strained through a coffe filter paper, then stored this tea and added it to my powders instead of regular water. I also added some to a water bottle. It left a gel-like factor to my hair. It was weird. My hair looked oily and hard, like I gelled it, but it was soft! I would pour a little tea into my hands, and apply it directly to my scalp, massage, then do oil massage.

I bought the pure extract, since it is more concentrated. I added drops to my products mentioned before. I still make the tea for my powder pastes when I do them. I'll have a better idea in a month if it is affecting growth.

Does the extract still give you the mucilage effect? I've been considering using fenugreek to thicken up a couple of my hairmixes - it sounds like I should only use the tea, and not the powder? Or, was the 'grits' experience from the other powders you mixed the fenugreek with?

MissMasala5

Does the extract still give you the mucilage effect? I've been considering using fenugreek to thicken up a couple of my hairmixes - it sounds like I should only use the tea, and not the powder? Or, was the 'grits' experience from the other powders you mixed the fenugreek with?

No, the extract is more of a tincture, but rubbing it between the fingers, it still has a slight slip. I would use the strained tea for powders mixes.

I first used it by putting the powder directly in my hair in paste form. Unlike the gritty sand-like factor of other Ayurveda powders, fenugreek powder gets supper sticky when wet. Like you put actual cooked grits in your hair. A real pain to wash out!

Eisani

I have fenugreek and haven't really used it much. It's funny how people's noses are different because many say it smells like syrup but to me it smells like ANTI-FREEZE :nono:. I guess car coolant does have a sweet smell as well though. I remember when I bought some my SO got in the truck and was like, "Oh ish, is my ride leaking anti-freeze?" I sheepishly told him it was my newest ingredient :perplexed.

Aggie

Hmmm. Couldn't I just use the extract and make the tea from that as opposed to the powder though? I think that that's what I'd prefer to do. I'll try it and see how that works out before getting the powder.

MissMasala5

Hmmm. Couldn't I just use the extract and make the tea from that as opposed to the powder though? I think that that's what I'd prefer to do. I'll try it and see how that works out before getting the powder.

I'm sure you could do that :yep:

Lavendar

Great post Medmunky! I think I will try the tea in my shikakai/coconut conditioner. I think I will look into that fenugreek extract too. A few drops mixed with my favorite oils would probably be great.

CurleeDST

I used it as a nursing mom to maintain my milk level. Works like a charm. Have no idea what it would for hair.

Isis

Fenugreek is supposed to increase breast size also, among other benefits. I haven't thought about using it on my hair. Thanks for sharing.

ETA: Oh, I just read some other comments hear about breasts. I read that sweat is supposed to smell like maple syrup when taken internally.

Last edited:

Stacy TheLady

Bumping.....

I just got a few packets of fenugreek seeds at the grocery store. How do i use it? Boil it and use the "tea" or grind it into a paste and then apply to hair? anyone seeing any growth from using this? how long after first use were results noticeable?

Stacy TheLady

Ok I did two things.

1. I placed EVCO in a pot on low heat until it got hot then added the fenugreek seeds. The seeds actually pop open when they get hot and I guess this is what releases all its goodness. I also added a couple cloves of garlic, amla oil and sweet almond oil. After i felt all the seeds had opened up i poured the mixture into a glass jar and set it in the sun. I intend to leave it there for another week. I will use this as a pre poo.

2. I took a packet of the seeds and blended it with EVOO then i did a double broiler (place blended seeds and oil mixture in a glass bowl and place in another dish of boiling water) to heat up the seeds so it can realese it goodness. The reason i did it this way is because i was so excited to use the seeds and i didnt want to wait for my first concoction. I used it as a pre poo. I do not want to comment on the results because it was the first time i used it and i want to try this for at leat 6 weeks before i make any comments. But my hair was the ususal soft/moist feel after my DC. Nothing out of the ordinary happened