Ayurvedic ladies: Fenugreek seeds

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
Ok so lately i've been on a natural/ayurvedic kick and I want to try fenugreek seeds.

What are they good for moisture/slip/strength? how do I use? make a tea/paste/oil infusion/add to conditioners?

What experiences have you had? How do you use them

TIA ladies

mscocoface

Not sure about this one because I have never used it. I would recommend either boiling them in distilled water or in oil and then straining the seeds when it is cooled. Possibly mashing the seeds in order to get the inside of the seed to release itself in the water or oil.

Here is what from nature with love had to say about this product. It is used in one of their hair oils.

Fenugreek is also used extensively in Ayurvedic medicine to help reduce hair loss and increase hair growth.

AfroKink

I've never used Fenugreek, but I believe it has mucliage like flaxseeds. If you boil flaxseeds you get this mucousy slimy thats moisturizing (it's a lot less nasty than i make it sounds) I believe fenugreek seeds do that too.

Lys

VinDieselsWifey

i have used them before. but whatever you do, DO NOT MAKE A PASTE FROM THEM!!! that's what i've heard...people said they were picking stuff out of their hair for DAYS!!...i also heard you shouldn't boil them in water, just let them infuse overnight. i read that they don't release as much mucilage when boiled...strange...but i infuse them in water overnight, then strain the seeds out. i mix the water with conditioner or other stuff. it makes my hair really soft.

i want to make a paste, cause from all the indian sites i've read, they say make a paste from them and it cleans your scalp and stimulates growth, etc. but i'm too scared...i had a bad incident with a mango once :lachen: :lachen: i call myself making a conditoner from the mango & i think coconut milk. i pureed the mango & coconut in the blender, strained, and used in my hair...:nono: :nono: i had soooooooo many bits of mango in my hair it didn't make any sense! and i did this just a couple of hours before i had to go to work, so i had to go to work with little white bits of stuff in my hair. it took days for it to all come out...

Last edited:

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
Thanks ladies for your responses :)

I know that you get a similar slipperry mucilage from irish moss I get good results with that. I use it as a conditioning rinse. Lots of slip, relaxes my NG a bit. I will try the fenugreek and see how it compares.

VinDeiselsWifey, thanks for the tip:yep: I had a similar experience a few weeks ago with banana, had fruit salad in my hair for a bit....:nono:

adw425

I use powdered fenugreek in the clear container from WHole Foods. It is part of my powdered herb mixture (burdock, rosemary, kelp, rose petal powder, comfrey, fenugreek, nettle and some others that I can't recall right now) that I keep in a large container. I also add it to my scalp concoction along with powdered rosemary, kelp and msm. I tried working with the seeds, but it was too messy and that stuff does not come out of your hair very easily.

HopefulOne

Fenugreek seeds are sold as Methi powder in Indian grocery stores. I mix the powder in with my henna. Fenugreek is supposed to be very moisturizing. I don't use it by itself so I can't speak for individual properties.