For those wanting long hair...

winona

[USER=330467 said:
Niknak20[/USER];15851959]I'll look into the allergy thing concerning a doctor. For my braids I do use fake hair, I never thought it'd be a problem. I'll also start monitoring when my scalp itches to see if it's something I'm using since my scalp itches w/o braids too.

I also use fake hair for my braids and I have to remove the coating or my fake will itch so bad I have to take it out. I initially found out about this possible problem on growafrolong website. Basically I put 1 cup of ACV and hot water in my kitchen sink and let the hair sit in there for about 20 min. When I drain the water it has a white film on top. I then use a shampoo that I don't like to get any residual off. Rinse throughly and apply serum onto the hair. Afterwards I hang to dry. This has allowed me to where to where the hair up to 3 weeks before I removed. BTW I removed it because I was bored not because my scalp itched:) HTH

Zaynab

I think you may have said your hair type but this is what I think would help for you. hairveda whipped creme and apply it while your hair is damp and put your hair in bantu knots and let it airdry. they do wonders as far as getting the hair straight. and then you can do your updo. oh don't forget youtube very very helpful.

3a/b Thanks for all your tips. I'm gonna try the pre poo too

celiabug

Allandra I'm thinking i may only straighten like 2 or 3 times a year just to get trims because ever time i straighten i end up with straight parts that take months to go away, its so annoying.

HeChangedMyName

right now its pretty short, so it is protecting itself via shrinkage. I just use my ecostyler and go. i'll probably bun once it gets longer

claud-uk

Does anyone pre-poo and with what products? sorry I can't search:look: The main issue for me when I wear my hair curly is when it's time to wash again, I don't detangle well and I think I lose hair. I need a good detangler and need to try this pre-poo people speak of.

I pre-poo with a mix of oils: Wheatgerm Oil (WGO) for the ceramides, EVOO and Coconut for strength and Avocado for moisture. Sometimes I'll add some cholesterol too if I'm going to do a Poo, :lachen: just for extra protection.

I find that whilst applying the pre-poo my hairs just slide over each other and it's SUPER easy to comb/detangle at this stage. Hair goes into 4 braids while pre-poo is being applied and stays in the braids through the wash/DC process.

sirde4

thank you for sharing. Your hair is beautiful. Wish I can get there. Ive had major setbacks. Currently sporting a weave to retain and achieve neck length unstretched. Condition wash weekly. Haphazard vitamin intake. Need help, help, help. Ooou lawdy

hopin4 healthy, long and strong hair

Rossy2010

Checking in.. Im doing fine... I had a mojor detangling session today :( but it was not that bad but i lost some hair which has been happening in the last few weeks.. Anyway I will be doing a length check next week and will post some update pics :)

Rossy2010

So here is my starting pic. I finally had to cut t off back to NL

I will post an updated pic three months from now or as soon as I relax.
progress pic as promised

I will post the next progress pic after 3 months.. Im sticking to my regime coz its working.. the only issue i have is that i will only stretch upto 14 weeks given that after 14 weeks I had increased shedding.
I hope i iwll be back on the length i was on my next touch up..

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
I pre-poo with a mix of oils: Wheatgerm Oil (WGO) for the ceramides, EVOO and Coconut for strength and Avocado for moisture. Sometimes I'll add some cholesterol too if I'm going to do a Poo, :lachen: just for extra protection.

I find that whilst applying the pre-poo my hairs just slide over each other and it's SUPER easy to comb/detangle at this stage. Hair goes into 4 braids while pre-poo is being applied and stays in the braids through the wash/DC process.

i prepoo with olive oil the night before i cleanse my hair. to give the hair slip so i can remove shed hairs. if it's really tangly i will prepoo with glycerin. this is for slip only. i apply the glycerin and let it sit at least an hour or overnight. then remove shed hair and detangle with my fingers. apply my hairveda moisturePro conditioner to the dry hair. sit under the dryer and then co wash.

janeemat

IMO, keeping the heat to a minimum helps quite a bit. I have heat used on my hair once per month. I also still wear protective styles (PSs) because I like to keep my ends in good shape (haven't needed a trim since June 12, 2010, just had a few dustings in 2011), and I happen to like PSs. I also think leaving the hair alone does great at retaining length. When I do my hair in a protective style, I can keep it like that (neatly) for five to seven days. It looks like you're on the right road. Oh yeah, I think deep conditionings help (when I do mine, I don't use heat, just a plastic cap while in the shower).

I'm not claiming to be a hair expert, but I was able to grow my hair to waist length when I was relaxed (and it was in good shape). Now I'm natural (and loving it), and my hair is approaching tail bone length. I just want to offer help and information to others (which is why we're all here). :)

Allandra, explain in the bold please. Meaning do you not moisturize ends, oil hair or anything during this time. Is this a bun you are referring to? Also, do you protective style with sew ins? Did you use sew ins during your transition or buns? I see you flat iron monthly. Did your flat iron monthly while your were transitioning? Sorry for all of the questions. I want my hair like yours:yep:

Allandra

Allandra, explain in the bold please. Meaning do you not moisturize ends, oil hair or anything during this time. Is this a bun you are referring to? Also, do you protective style with sew ins? Did you use sew ins during your transition or buns? I see you flat iron monthly. Did your flat iron monthly while your were transitioning? Sorry for all of the questions. I want my hair like yours:yep:
@janeemat

I know folks are going to get tired of me saying this :look: but my hair gets most of it's moisture from deep conditioning. Prior to placing my hair in a protective style, I always moisturize my hair (all of it, including the ends).

Excuse me, but I've never had a sew in.

During my transitioning, I had my hair flat ironed more often then monthly.

janeemat

@janeemat

I know folks are going to get tired of me saying this :look: but my hair gets most of it's moisture from deep conditioning. Prior to placing my hair in a protective style, I always moisturize my hair (all of it, including the ends). I can believe this because if you are deep conditioning weekly your hair could remain moisturized. I have experienced it myself.

Excuse me, but I've never had a sew in. No Pun intended. I thought that you followed Reniece's regi since she is your stylist and maybe you used sew ins for transitioning.

During my transitioning, I had my hair flat ironed more often then monthly.
I am glad to hear this because it proves that you can do a long transition with flat ironing and have healthy hair.

Thanks so much!

Allandra

:wave: Hello ladies.

I hope everyone is doing well at retaining their length.

I didn't get my hair flat ironed in April or in May. My hair was last flat ironed on March 24. I plan on getting my hair flat ironed in June, and after that, not until September or October.

Ltown

Greyland

I didn't get my hair flat ironed in April or in May. My hair was last flat ironed on March 24. I plan on getting my hair flat ironed in June, and after that, not until September or October.

Allandra, how long do your flatiron last do you workout, or sweat in your head?

I'm sweat head so flatiron don't last and i have to workout:grin:

greenandchic

Allandra :peace:

Things have been good since I started cowashing twice a week (sometimes shampoo). I still have that crown area that gets insanely dry and brittle so I use a heavy conditioner on it just about every night when I moisturize/seal my hair. Other than that, all is well so far...

Allandra

@Allandra, how long do your flatiron last do you workout, or sweat in your head?

I'm sweat head so flatiron don't last and i have to workout:grin:
Ltown

I certainly do workout, and of course I sweat girl. :yep:

When I get my hair flat ironed, I don't wear it down each day after it's been flat ironed (maybe for a day or two), so for me it doesn't matter when it starts to revert.

Allandra

@Allandra :peace:

Things have been good since I started cowashing twice a week (sometimes shampoo). I still have that crown area that gets insanely dry and brittle so I use a heavy conditioner on it just about every night when I moisturize/seal my hair. Other than that, all is well so far...
greenandchic

This is good to hear.

What are you using to moisturize your hair?

Keep up the good work girl. :up:

greenandchic

@greenandchic

This is good to hear.

What are you using to moisturize your hair?

Keep up the good work girl. :up:

Allandra

These days I use either L'Orel EverCreme Nourishing Conditioner (its a rinse out), or water and my coconut/olive/jojobs/mango butter blend. It really depends on what I think my hair needs at the time. Do you have any recommendations?

Lita

Allandra Hi,my hair is doing ok..What I noticed,after I Dc I have to use a rinse & apply my leave-in immediately..

*When I wash my hair in sections/I have to recomb right before I wash it..

Happy Hair Growing!

Last edited:

newnyer

Okay I now realize that I can no longer wash my hair in the sink! It's a blessing & a curse really. Means my hair is getting longer but it tangles too easily unless I rinse with my head back. Could have prevented all those broken hairs I had today after my DC. :( Did I just do it wrong?

Allandra

Okay I now realize that I can no longer wash my hair in the sink! It's a blessing & a curse really. Means my hair is getting longer but it tangles too easily unless I rinse with my head back. Could have prevented all those broken hairs I had today after my DC. :( Did I just do it wrong?
I wash it in the shower (have been doing this for years). I would never try to wash my hair in the sink (that would be an awful mess for me).

Kb3auty

After all this time I finally got the right formula for me... But it took lots of trial and error! Your hair is really stunning by the way.

hi,
i'm not in this challenge. Lurking, I'm looking to grow my hair APL by the end of the year. I'm getting some great tips from everyone. I was looking at your pictures, i just wanted to say your texture is gorgeous, what products are you using?

Kb3auty

I'm trying low manipulation and no heat. I haven't used any heat since November. I want to try braids under a wig but I'm afraid of what the people will say at work about it. (I work with some mean folks)

The problem I'm having is my ends becoming frizzy when I air dry. I try to twist them but that's only a little bit of help. I also hate that my hair gets hard when air dry. I'm trying one thing then another afte each wash. I may have to start washing more often.

Sigh....

Have you tried sealing your ends? i've been using JBCO and it works wonders, and i spritz my hair with my aloe vera oil mix.

Allandra

hi,
i'm not in this challenge. Lurking, I'm looking to grow my hair APL by the end of the year. I'm getting some great tips from everyone. I was looking at your pictures, i just wanted to say your texture is gorgeous, what products are you using?
Kb3auty

It's not a challenge. It's just us sharing tips that help us retain length, that is all.

My regimen / products are located in this thread (I believe it's post # 220 or something like that).