For those wanting long hair...

cutiebe2

Maybe you can also take a b complex vitamin (suppose to be good for hair, nails and skin), and drink lots of water. Water is my main drink. It's rare that I drink anything else (as I really dislike wasting calories on beverages). We have got to find ways to get you some progress.
Yeah I am starting to take Andrew Lessman hair vitamins with has tons of everything. I don't drink soda..mostly water and green juice and some friut juice from time to time.

The first year of my journey I had great progress. I think because I was taking so many vitamins and doing the crown and glory method. Just bunning wasn't as successful. I also had surgury which caused me to be anemic and have some alopecia spots. Most of them are filled in now. My hair was also really porus so I started using Porosity Control with my DC about every other week and it worked well. When I take down my braids I will use it again. I am hoping that by making sure Im getting iron and supplements my hair will turn around. There is no reason why I shouldn't get at least 4 inches this year. I am just trying to work on the strength of my hair. My hair feels nice and moisturized when I take it out of braids etc.
If I dont get length this year then I don't know what else to do :/

Sosoothing

Allandra

:hiya:

Pardon me in advance if this has been asked already.
Im interested in knowing what major differences there are between your regimen when you were relaxed with long hair and now with natural long hair. Are you or did you do anything differently to get to waist length with natural hair?

Relentless

Reinventing
I was waist length when I was relaxed. I got 6 to 8 inches of hair cut, and then after that I slowly had my hair trimmed a little each month. On the 24th month of my transition, I had a half inch of relaxed hair left, and I had that trimmed off then. I kept my hair straight during my transition because it was easier to keep both textures the same. Back then, I would get my hair shampooed, deep conditioned, roller set or blow dried and flat ironed. It worked well for me. :)

PSs: bun, 2 flat twists (pinned up), single braid, single twist, French twist
Thank You. :)

virtuenow

I was waist length when I was relaxed. I got 6 to 8 inches of hair cut, and then after that I slowly had my hair trimmed a little each month. On the 24th month of my transition, I had a half inch of relaxed hair left, and I had that trimmed off then. I kept my hair straight during my transition because it was easier to keep both textures the same. Back then, I would get my hair shampooed, deep conditioned, roller set or blow dried and flat ironed. It worked well for me. :)

PSs: bun, 2 flat twists (pinned up), single braid, single twist, French twist

How often did you wash and flat iron when you were natural? How often do you wash now. What are your staple products? Do you co-wash; what about shampoo. I remember you saying AO GPB since like 2000 (wow!), but what else do u use? Edited to add: I guess I found the answer here :) http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=577867&page=2

Last edited:

drmuffin

Girl, don't make me come over there and get those scissors. :naughty: No, you shouldn't be depressed, but you should leave those scissors alone. Your regimen looks pretty good. Your hair will probably take off once you stop cutting on it.

Pul-eeeeeze take these scissors away! I've been thinking about throwing them away! But I'd eventually buy a new pair when it's time for a trim. It's the rough ends and ssks I tell ya! They make me do it!!!! :lol:

D.Lisha

Allandra said:
Are you natural or relaxed? What's your hair length goal?

I'm relaxed (4bish), my current length is shoulder length, and my goal length is waistlength :).
I'm hoping I can get to bsl by september...*crosses fingers*

ItsMeFre

Allandra said:
Are you going to wash your hair twice a week? I haven't had a problem with ssk or split ends. Do you wear your hair down a lot?

Sorry I meant twice a month... I will start washing twice a month as well. I mostly bun now but with straight hair I mostly wear it down.

PinkPeony

What would you use to color your hair? I don't feel color is damaging (at least not for my hair, but I use a dark color since my natural color is dark brown). Your regimen sounds good.

I have no idea.
I'm going to Sally's tomorow but I figured bleaching and then toning.
Thx for creating this thread btw such great info.

KurlyNinja

Well, it certainly sounds like you're doing everything right. :) What is your hair length goal? I bet your shake n go is cute. What natural products are you using?

Thank you! As for now I want WL, but people on this board always seem to change their mind once they hit their goal length.

I use Organix condish to co-wash. I moisturize with Shea Moisture Deep Moisture Masque and seal with castor oil. When I do DC I usually take my organix condish and mix it with honey, avocado and some type of oil. I'm trying to steer clear of cones because I dont want to have to deal with buildup or really even think about it. I also dont wish to use sulfates on my hair anymore. I never had a setback from it, but I'm just taking precautions.

dargirl

Hi. What length is your hair now? Protective styling should help you to avoid dry ends. What protective styles have you tried?

Hi Allandra. Gorgeous hair! My hair is full SL. I normally wear it in loose updos, buns, and ponytails using either good hair day pins or flexi-8s. Limit combing to wash days and mostly finger comb on other days or use my Magic Star Rake comb to untangle ends before moisturizing and sealing.

ToSelahWithLove

I want Waist Length Hair... I've been protective styling in kinky twists and weaves for 5months now. This latest weave has been the best ever thanks to the lady who did it -- she added extension hair to the beehive and spaced the braids out. There doesn't feel like their is ANY tension on the scalp. I moisturize the braids underneath every 4-5 days (I suppose I could be better at that) and I shampoo/condition whenever my scalp feels the need.

I workout 5-6 days a week, and take a multivitamin. I drink 85oz of water a day (5 bottles) and I eat protein and leafy vegetables for food almost daily. So far I've been doing 1 month intervals, but this latest install I'm going for 8 weeks. At the end of the install, and before the next one, I: shampoo, steam with Joico K-Pak restructurer, steam with AOGPB and/or AOHSR, and blowdry.

The problems that I face: I'm transitioning, 7 months since my relaxer. The more new growth, the more difficult it is to do the shampoo/steam/blowdry at the end of the install. *sigh*

NikkiGirl

I did my BC on close to hip length hair in December 31st. I am grazing MBL right now (stretched) and I hope to be back at WL by the end of the year or close to hip.

I am currently co-washing every day to every other day. I just started incorporating a protein treatment every few weeks. I also went back to dcing every week. I am basically babying my natural hair and giving it the best start I can. I wear my hair in buns for work, I like buns, so doesn't bother me! I wear a wash n'go on the weekend just because I am newly natural and I do enjoy leaving my curls out and enjoying them a little, but I try to keep in mind my long-term goal of length as well. I am on a personal no heat six month challenge. I will do a length check in July once I fulfill this challenge. But to be honest, I have no desire to wear my hair straight, which I feel good about. I am bascially following the Curly Girl Method and it has been working tremendously for me! I was shocked at how much conditioner she advocoated using, but it works. So I am sticking to that. I basically know that my hair doesn't do well with too much heat so I limit that and keep it moving! I am hoping for long, glorious, curly hair by the end of the year.

Last edited:

Allandra

@Allandra

:hiya:

Pardon me in advance if this has been asked already.
Im interested in knowing what major differences there are between your regimen when you were relaxed with long hair and now with natural long hair. Are you or did you do anything differently to get to waist length with natural hair?
Sosoothing

relaxed: shampoo, deep condition, roller set OR blow dry, flat iron, wrap weekly / bi-weekly, less styles (bun, wear down)

natural: shampoo, deep condition, roller set OR blow dry, flat iron once a month (but not every month), more styles

Allandra

I want Waist Length Hair... I've been protective styling in kinky twists and weaves for 5months now. This latest weave has been the best ever thanks to the lady who did it -- she added extension hair to the beehive and spaced the braids out. There doesn't feel like their is ANY tension on the scalp. I moisturize the braids underneath every 4-5 days (I suppose I could be better at that) and I shampoo/condition whenever my scalp feels the need.

I workout 5-6 days a week, and take a multivitamin. I drink 85oz of water a day (5 bottles) and I eat protein and leafy vegetables for food almost daily. So far I've been doing 1 month intervals, but this latest install I'm going for 8 weeks. At the end of the install, and before the next one, I: shampoo, steam with Joico K-Pak restructurer, steam with AOGPB and/or AOHSR, and blowdry.

The problems that I face: I'm transitioning, 7 months since my relaxer. The more new growth, the more difficult it is to do the shampoo/steam/blowdry at the end of the install. *sigh*
rrWhen you say 'at the end of the install', do you mean when you remove it to shampoo or while it's still in to shampoo? How much growth have you gotten so far? How long are your breaks between installs. I really don't know anything about weaves (hence all my questions). :)

Way to go with the water (it's my main drink - hate wasting calories on beverages). It's good that you've eliminated any tension on your scalp.

Allandra

I did my BC on close to hip length hair in December 31st. I grazing MBL right now (stretched) and I hope to be back at WL by the end of the year or close to hip.

I am currently co-washing every day to every other day. I just started incorporating a protein treatment every few weeks. I also went back to dcing every week. I am basically babying my natural hair and giving it the best start I can. I wear my hair in buns for work, I like buns, so doesn't bother me! I wear a wash n'go on the weekend just because I am newly natural and I do enjoy leaving my curls out and enjoying them a little, but I try to keep in mind my long-term goal of length as well. I am on a personal no heat six month challenge. I will do a length check in July once I fulfill this challenge. But to be honest, I have no desire to wear my hair straight, which I feel good about. I am bascially following the Curly Girl Method and it has been working tremendously for me! I was shocked at how much conditioner she advocoated using, but it works. So I am sticking to that. I basically know that my hair doesn't do well with too much heat so I limit that and keep it moving! I am hoping for long, glorious, curly hair by the end of the year.
Wow at the BC. How much hair did you have after your BC? It sounds like you're headed in the right direction. You'll be at WL in no time.

NikkiGirl

Wow at the BC. How much hair did you have after your BC? It sounds like you're headed in the right direction. You'll be at WL in no time.

I was at BSL when I did the BC stretched, but my hair only hung a little past the shoulder at that time when curly and thanks so much!

Last edited:

yodie

Allandra,

I haven't really seen alot happen with the Nioxin vits just yet. I'm going to stick with it for another 90 days and then decide whether to continue or not.

DesignerCurls

Another nice thread Allandra!
I am currently 1" away from MBL. My goal for this year is to at least reach WL (currently 4" away)by Dec 31! My ultimate goal is TBL!

I was APL & shorter for a year and a half because I thought I had to periodically cut my hair for it to be healthy and grown. :spinning: :look: I was cutting off what I was retaining! Last year I learned how to dust my ends and only trim when needed. So hopefully I will reach my goal by the end of this year! :yep:

My regi:
~Low manipulation: protective style in small twist 2-3 weeks (This spring I will start wearing medium to large twist)
~Wash with shampoo bars 1-2 times a week
~Deep condition once a week
~Moisturize 2-3 times a week
~Henna (to cover grey strand) & protein (to restore curls since henna loosens them) once a month
~ Multivitamins & omegas, organic diet, & exercise 3x week

I just started taking a hair & nail supplement as oppose to the separate msm & biotin I've been taking. I probably need to increase my water intake too!

Allandra

Another nice thread @Allandra!
I am currently 1" away from MBL. My goal for this year is to at least reach WL (currently 4" away)by Dec 31! My ultimate goal is TBL!

I was APL & shorter for a year and a half because I thought I had to periodically cut my hair for it to be healthy and grown. :spinning: :look: I was cutting off what I was retaining! Last year I learned how to dust my ends and only trim when needed. So hopefully I will reach my goal by the end of this year! :yep:

My regi:
~Low manipulation: protective style in small twist 2-3 weeks (This spring I will start wearing medium to large twist)
~Wash with shampoo bars 1-2 times a week
~Deep condition once a week
~Moisturize 2-3 times a week
~Henna (to cover grey strand) & protein (to restore curls since henna loosens them) once a month
~ Multivitamins & omegas, organic diet, & exercise 3x week

I just started taking a hair & nail supplement as oppose to the separate msm & biotin I've been taking. I probably need to increase my water intake too!
Thanks. :)

Only 4" away from WL? I bet you can reach your goal this year. I'm glad you know how to dust your ends, and this should help you retain your length. My last trim was June 12, 2010 (yes, 2010). I've had my hair dusted a few times in 2011 (the number is in my siggy). When the ends are treated well and kept up, they won't need to be trimmed all the time. I consider myself living proof of that (I'm sure other ladies here are too). How much water a day are you drinking? I say this all the time, and I've already said it in this thread (probably more than once lol), but water is my main beverage. I dislike using calories on beverages, and water is good for the body, and it's the only beverage the body needs, so that's what I give my body. Drink up that water girlie. :)

DesignerCurls

Thanks. :)

Only 4" away from WL? I bet you can reach your goal this year. I'm glad you know how to dust your ends, and this should help you retain your length. My last trim was June 12, 2010 (yes, 2010). I've had my hair dusted a few times in 2011 (the number is in my siggy). When the ends are treated well and kept up, they won't need to be trimmed all the time. I consider myself living proof of that (I'm sure other ladies here are too). How much water a day are you drinking? I say this all the time, and I've already said it in this thread (probably more than once lol), but water is my main beverage. I dislike using calories on beverages, and water is good for the body, and it's the only beverage the body needs, so that's what I give my body. Drink up that water girlie. :)

My water intake is too shameful to say so I will be most definitely make it my new primary drink of choice! :yep:
Thanks for the personal encouragement especially from someone who is living proof!

Allandra

My water intake is too shameful to say so I will be most definitely make it my new primary drink of choice! :yep:
Thanks for the personal encouragement especially from someone who is living proof!
Ok, I'll drink to that (toasting with a bottle of water (at room temperature, because I don't drink cold water). :lol: Your hair and body will thank you for it. :)

DesignerCurls

Lita

Weekly Dc
Moisturizing
PS-braids/buns & twists
Low manipulation
Minimum heat
Sealing
Protein treatments once a while
More Moisture...
Keeping my scalp healthy..

*Eating Right (diet)

Happy Hair Growing!

ToSelahWithLove

rrWhen you say 'at the end of the install', do you mean when you remove it to shampoo or while it's still in to shampoo? How much growth have you gotten so far? How long are your breaks between installs. I really don't know anything about weaves (hence all my questions). :)

Way to go with the water (it's my main drink - hate wasting calories on beverages). It's good that you've eliminated any tension on your scalp.

When I say "at the end" I mean when I remove it completely. So far I've only done 4 weeks, but I'm inspired to try to leave the weave in for 8 weeks this time.

As for growth, I really don't know. This is my 5th month of ps'ing, but I haven't had a length check since last May. I can see and feel new growth, but I don't know how long it is. At the same time, since I have this new growth + relaxed hair it just looks like my hair is shorter, since the new growth grows out instead of down (if that makes sense).

I wait about 2 days before putting in the next install. I know it should be longer, but I can't think of styles that I would like, or that would look good with the amount of new growth I have now. Because of this I make sure my weave lady leaves out edges/back/etc and doesn't put tension on my hair with the braids.

And yesssssssss to not wanting the extra calories from beverages. It's funny tho... once I'd been drinking water heavy for about 3 weeks my body really started to crave it. I had a glass of milk the other day and was like ewwww.. can't believe I used to drink this daily. Now, water is the only thing that tastes good to me. Win. lol.

cutiepiesensei

Allandra I'm a relaxed head, only been on the forum nearly a month but I'm trying my best to learn; I cut off 2 inches of my hair to start fresh. I'm a relaxed head and I want to grow my hair 4-5 inches this year. Hopefully that's possible :-/ Was flatironing every week when you were relaxed bad for your hair or were you fine? I am not the best at rollersetting, I really want to be able to blowdry and flatiron after my weekly DC, but I'm pretty sure that's bad......I currently am looking at methods like wetwrapping, so we'll see. It's just easier for me to be able to deal with my hair during the week when it is straightened. I know I'm talkative, I'm just so curious as you got your hair to grow so long as a relaxed head. I want longer hair soooooo bad lol