Frequent washing

I have always wash my hair every two weeks and it has seem to work for me. Would my hair grow faster if I were to wash it more often? i cant afford to do it so often and i dont liek how my hair looks when i do it myself. It does look bad when i wash it and put it in a bun, but it does when i try to put it out after i washed it by myself. Is frequent washing really necessary or should I stick to what has been working for me.

adrienne0914

i think how often to wash is a personal choice. i really couldn't wait two weeks to wash my hair because of scalp issues. my hair also starts to smell if i wait too long.

if you're seeing the results you want in terms of growth, i'd say to keep doing what you're doing. if you're not, that could be something you would want to look at again.

if you don't like the way your hair looks wearing it down after you do it, i would say to wear in a bun that week. then wear down the week you get it done.

adrienne

pebbles

Hi Meinzzfuture,

It all depends on what works for you. I used to wash my hair every 2 weeks too. I wash every 3 days now and find that my hair has greatly benefited from it. I can't imagine going longer than 4 days now without washing my hair. My scalp would itch like crazy. If your hair is doing fine with your routine then you're o.k. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

jrw

I agree with everyone, you have to do what is most comfortable for you. For me I wash my hair about every other day. I started doing this at the beginning of the year. Normally my hair does not grow between January and April but this year I got a couple of inches of new growth. I feel that it was because of my increased washing. Prior to that I washed it about once a week or a little more often. However, I don't know if that was a freak thing or if it truly was because of the frequent washing. On the other hand, my sister washes her hair about once every two weeks and has no problem growing her hair.

sweetcocoa

I agree..it's a personal decision. I also have scalp problems if I wait too long. Since I started shampooing or rinsing more frequently, my hair has benefited alot...it never looks dry. My hair and scalp have gotten spoiled and look and feel 'neglected' it I don't at least rinse(I use distilled water). I'm trying to wait till February(and I get my own camera for Christmas) to post a pic again, but I have gotten noticable growth since September. I beleive doing this has helped tremendously.

Valerie

I tend to wash my hair every week, but I rinse my hair nearly every day. I used to wash my hair every two-three weeks, then I started reading Cathy Howse's book, she said you should wash your hair every three days, and I started doing so, and after a month, I noticed that the growth was quite significant. Then in July, I started to wash my hair once a week and rinse every day, at the time, my hair stretched to the half of my earlobe. In October after rinsing my hair had grown a lot and my hair now stretched past my earlobe to the bottom of my chin. So for me frequent washing has certainly helped me.

Integrity

ithink because our hair is soo dry we need to wash it at least once a week, no exceptions. i suspect the reason why u dont look fwd to washing it is the results you get. i once was like that. u simply need to learn how to condition the hair properly and wash with the correct shampoos and it wont turn out frizzy like u fear, its not the washing that dries out your hair but what u use. your hair would not grow faster per say but the water will make it less brittle and more elastic and hence less susceptible to breakage=accumulated growth. you do not even need to use shampoo each wash as this dries out the hair more. try conditioner washes or no 'poo with a mild conditioner like pantene smooth and sleek.

IMHO u need to wash at least once a week!

Eyvonne7131

Hi, in the summer I wash my hair once a week, now that it is colder and I go to the salon I get it washed every two weeks. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

nijilah

In the winter, I was my hair once a week. In the summer, I wash my hair 2-3 times a week. If I don't follow this schedule, my hair becomes dry and my scalp itchy.

If your washings work for you, then stick to it. If you suspect something is not right, then maybe you need to do more deep conditioning, less combing/manipulation, and less harsh shampoos. But do what appears best for you.