Is it really true that frequent washing.....

Nanyanika

I can testify that frequent cw grows my hair faster, when i wear natural cornrows i do this daily and notice my braids loosen up substanially over a two week peroid.

sugaplum

Star Shooter
When my hair was relaxed I washed my hair 3 times per week.

But now that I've done the BC, I wash my hair everyday with shampoo and conditioner (or 2-in-1). I also oil my scalp everyday with Kemi Oyl or grease.

I noticed the curls in my hair are defined and very strong. I haven't noticed if my hair grew faster, it's just healthier. :grin:

sugaplum

Star Shooter
I've also noticed that doing CW isn't enough to wash out the grease in my hair. So I've decided to give up the grease!! I've noticed that when I grease my scalp, the very next day it is dryer then ever!! :shocked: I've noticed all this after my BC. So I've decided to use oils only. :yep: I will do a hot oil treatment every Friday and just CW everyday.

vickid

My dermatologist told me to wash my hair every other day and I'd see a huge difference in my alopecia. I didn't do it and saw no growth for about 3 months. I started to wash every other day and BOOM--growth! My derm continuously tells me that a "clean, conditioned, healthy scalp will yield hair" I'm a believer!!!!

sugaplum

Star Shooter
vickid said:
My dermatologist told me to wash my hair every other day and I'd see a huge difference in my alopecia. I didn't do it and saw no growth for about 3 months. I started to wash every other day and BOOM--growth! My derm continuously tells me that a "clean, conditioned, healthy scalp will yield hair" I'm a believer!!!!

Now this is what I'm talking about. :up: Thanks for sharing this info. :yep:

Diane71

I thought it was the opposite, I heard that if you don't wash your hair it makes it grow faster. I beleive that washing your hair everyday, (especially our grade of hair), would dry it out and you would loose the natural oils that your scalp releases. I have'nt washed my hair in 2 1/2 weeks and it is growing like crazy, it doe'nt itch and it has a somewhat natural moisture balance to it making my combout and styling so much easier. I am due for a shampoo and deep condition on Sunday and I will braid it up and leave it like that for 3 weeks with no water whatsoever and boy does it grow like weeds..lol.

http://public.fotki.com/Diane71
new pics coming soon!

CurliDiva

I'm started to realize that I been confusing Oil and Grease as something to moisturize my hair which doesn't- WATER is the ultimate moisturizer. Check out the ingredients for all of our beloved moisturizers products, and the first ingredient is usually WATER.

Shampooing more often has definitely improved my hair and scalp, and my products tend to last longer because I am not using extra amounts to make up for the fact that washed so infrequently. I now dilute my shampoo, which does strip my hair of its natural oil and seems to work better.;)

Victorian

old head
My growth rate tripled when I started washing more frequently. I know it wasn't the result of anything else because the frequency was the only thing I changed.
Washing frequently is actually more likely to cause your scalp to produce more oil, as it keeps trying harder to replace what you wash away. However, you have to find a balance because although your scalp can keep itself from drying out, your hair can't. If your hair is highly textured or particularly long, the oil from your scalp may not travel all the way to the ends. Of course there are other things that may dry your scalp like bad ingredients in your products, minerals in your water, or you might just have drier skin. I believe the fact that my hair isn't drying out even though I live in a hard water area is due to increased scalp oil production, using high quality conditioners that don't just COAT the hair, and using mild shampoos. Also, doing scalp massages can help distribute the oils better in your hair.