Is it really true that frequent washing.....

fancypants007

makes your hair grow? I use to wash my hair once a week, now i started washing it twice a week, and i can see new growth. This was the only thing that i changed in my hair regime. I have been eating healthy for over a month, doing scalp massages for the same amount of time, taking vitamin supplements, including biotin, and a hair vitamin, and i just couldn't tell if my hair was growing. I started oiling my scalp (i do so three times a week) but i have been doing that also for about 2 weeks. I started noticing new growth coming in this week, and i just started this new washing regime last week. It is so exciting. So is it true that frequent hair washing makes your hair grow faster? I know that Brenda from blackwomenrejoice says to wash your hair every 3 days, and also Cathy in her book that claims to grow 6" in one year says to wash your hair every 3 days. I will be putting braids in soon, and i will continue to wash twice a week, and oil my scalp, with massage to see after 2 months if my hair has grown longer. I will keep everyone posted.

BchBlondeHoni

I believe it as well. Your hair appears to be contanstly refreshed, you are not allowing the buildup from the products you are using to clog the pores in your scalp, thus stunting any new hair growth. This regimine is a little time consuming..but I definitely feel there are some hair growth benefits to it. Good for you!

CocoaButterflyy

That could be true. When I was in high school the summer before my senior year I washed my hair everyday for the entire summer and when the fall came I had extreme growth. Since I hadn't seen my stylist all summer she was trying to figure out why I had so much growth and when I told her she said it probably due to me washing daily

ChasingBliss

I think there are benefits too. But I feel like sometimes some of us incorporate so many good habits at once that it's kind of hard to tell which one is the main thing involved in aiding faster, healthier growth. Or what started working first? Each new habit certainly has it's benefits though. I noticed that with CO washes, my hair felt softer, my scalp felt cleaner. Everything taken orally or topically seemed to have benefited my texture, making it stronger and healthier looking not to mention shinier...But The only thing that I can actually prove that is growing my hair at a faster rate than before (mainly because Ive had almost a year to compare this rate to) is the (not meaning to go off topic
) Biotin 10mgs...

shoelover1972

[ QUOTE ]
BchBlondeHoni said:
I believe it as well. Your hair appears to be contanstly refreshed, you are not allowing the buildup from the products you are using to clog the pores in your scalp, thus stunting any new hair growth. This regimine is a little time consuming..but I definitely feel there are some hair growth benefits to it. Good for you!

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree

IMO this is one of the factors that contributes to hair growth as you are giving your hair & scalp the best moisture there is - water.

Lovelylocs

I have been doing daily C/O washes for the past two days. I even leave a little conditioner in my hair! After that I spray my biolage leave-in an some Proclaim hair serum. Well, my hair is soft and smooth. I think I am going to I could get one as soon as tomorrw since i have so much new growth, but i am going to try to wait another 2 weeks.

happylocks

am confused about this too. but while my sister was doing her friends hair(15 year old natural) she does not wash it often, but it was strong and her strands were thick. Maybe it works for others. I have put off washing or Daily weting( spary bottle yes) all the time and am going to CW less. I do think DW or CW can lead to thinner hair strands, atleast thats what I see for myself. Right now am just leaving my hair alone for as long as I can

Isis

I increased my washes to every 3 days after coming to LHCF (per Cathy Howse) and I noticed the difference very quickly. My hair is always moisturized and that contibutes to healthier hair and probably increased growth.

LEOLADYSW

I love conditioner washes every 3 days or so. I would not go back to my old shampoo regime for anything now.

BabyCurls

Indy Girl Growing Strong
<font color="purple">Ever since I joined this forum a year ago, I've been doing CO washes every 3 days. Now, I either do them daily, or do a daily misting if I don't feel like doing the washes. Since I have fine hair, with a curl on the ends, my hair has grown real fast. And not just by supplements, eating healthy or massages. Like a plant, it needs water to grow. My hair loves it when it gets wet. And from it all I've gained almost 2 inches of new growth. I'm hoping to shoot for much longer hair before the year is through. From now on, CO washes are the way to go for me!
</font>

iCandey

i have begun doing this and my hair loves it! my strands are stronger and softer.. i think the key is that our scalps are getting more oxygen

Lorraine

I have to agree with the rest of the ladies. I wash my hair daily. It's always soft and feels stronger. Before I had to train it to curl now I loathe straightening it because it takes forever. I think the key is being gentle during your washes and being careful if you braid or airdry. I scrunch it and let it dry on it's own. I don't even blow it dry. At the end of the day I can still feel the locked moisture in my ends.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
happylocks said:
am confused about this too. but while my sister was doing her friends hair(15 year old natural) she does not wash it often, but it was strong and her strands were thick. Maybe it works for others. I have put off washing or Daily weting( spary bottle yes) all the time and am going to CW less. I do think DW or CW can lead to thinner hair strands, atleast thats what I see for myself. Right now am just leaving my hair alone for as long as I can
:scratchch Hmmm... I've never considered that with daily washing/CW... I have fine strands and wonder if frequent washing will cause it to be thinner???:confused:

levette

does this work on 4a/b relaxed hair. i know that this type of hair tends to be the driest and the most brittle.

sky_blu

I think its helps but I wouldnt wash daily because it strips your hair of natural oils that keep your hair healthy. Since joining I was doing washes just about ever other day but my ears got so clogged up my doc thought I had swimmers ear :( So Im back to once a week. But washing more than that helped with my growth last term

Cinnabuns

I feel that washing my hair daily wither it be the COW Method or doing just a plain old CW my hair has felt thicker, healthier and stronger. I'm not sure if it has grown quicker or not though. :ohwell:

BMoreFlyy

I don't know if the washing has caused my hair to grow but it has allowed me to better manage my new growth without it snapping from combing.

MrsBKJ

Hey
I have just started my own personal challenge of washing my hair (with shampoo/conitioner mix) three times a week.

I have noticed a lot of growth and remembered when i was younger that my mom would wash my hair daily with shampoo only and my hair woule grow very fast and thick.

Uzz

Jewell

At one point, I was CO washing everyday and shampooing once a week for about 2 months. My growth was 3/4" to 1" a month, because at the end of 3 months (when I went to relax) I had over 3 inches of new growth unstretched. I usually got 1/4" before my supplements and the daily washing. I think I will go back to CO washing either everyday or every other day. I have definitely seen benefits. :grin:

hottopic

Girl yes....To be honest with you, sometimes I neglect to stay true to my hair challenges...But I always remember to wash at least 2-3 times a week and I still see growth. Mad growth.

I have been trying to wash my hair at least 3 times per week. I too have noticed, it being much fuller, and healthier. The new growth is much easier to manage.

It makes sense what you ladies are saying regarding clearing the pores in scalp.