Frequent Washing?

shellzfoshizzle

Who does this?

Does it help the hair grow? I always thought "a clean scalp is a healthy scalp". I was thinking back to when I was little and I got my hair washed about every 2-2/12 weeks. I wash my hair once every week and a half. I don't CW though.

Divine Inspiration

I agree that a clean scalp is a healthy scalp. The hair can't push through in a healthy fashion with dirt, cones, conditioner buildup, mineral oil & other things blocking it.
I always thought 2 wks was standard when I was younger too but once I started pooing and deep conditioning weekly, my hair was doing wonderfully and took less work because it was "trained."
I've started doing mid-week CO washes to keep my new growth manageable and keep my line of demarcation conditioned and moisturized. I don't plan to continue with that after the Christmas stretch though b/c it can get time consuming since my hair doesn't dry quickly.
I know a lot of the ladies (SouthernGirl (?) et. al.) have gone through periods where they were CO washing every day or 3-4 times a week and their hair was growing and flourishing.
Like everything else, I think it depends from head to head, but I think many of the ladies here poo or CO wash at least once a week...and I don't have to tell you how gorgeous these heads are!

OT: I like your photo on myspace...very nice!

shellzfoshizzle

Divine Inspiration said:
I agree that a clean scalp is a healthy scalp. The hair can't push through in a healthy fashion with dirt, cones, conditioner buildup, mineral oil & other things blocking it.
I always thought 2 wks was standard when I was younger too but once I started pooing and deep conditioning weekly, my hair was doing wonderfully and took less work because it was "trained."
I've started doing mid-week CO washes to keep my new growth manageable and keep my line of demarcation conditioned and moisturized. I don't plan to continue with that after the Christmas stretch though b/c it can get time consuming since my hair doesn't dry quickly.
I know a lot of the ladies (SouthernGirl (?) et. al.) have gone through periods where they were CO washing every day or 3-4 times a week and their hair was growing and flourishing.
Like everything else, I think it depends from head to head, but I think many of the ladies here poo or CO wash at least once a week...and I don't have to tell you how gorgeous these heads are!

OT: I like your photo on myspace...very nice!

Thanks for the quick response...I know CW washing can get so time consuming but I think I will start to wash weekly and condition very well each time. I have to use shampoo, I just can't CW alone. Also, thanks for the comment on myspace. I didn't know who you were and was going to send you a message on myspace asking what your LHCF name was, but now I know! Hi Friend!

Last edited:

benosayi

IMO- I CW everyday during the summer. My hair grew. Because of the weather I have been washing my hair once a week and it has grown alot this month. I think I was wasting my time and cond during the summer months. But for me, it did hurt but it didn't really help, if that makes any sense.
Peace and Blessing
Sandra

http://public.fotki.com/benosayi/

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
I wash/rinse my hair every other day, sometimes every day depending on my mood and how I want to wear my hair. It did boost my growth. Washing my hair helps me wind down in the evening. The added growth is a bonus.

sunflower

simplycee said:
I wash/rinse my hair every other day, sometimes every day depending on my mood and how I want to wear my hair. It did boost my growth. Washing my hair helps me wind down in the evening. The added growth is a bonus.

I CW my hair every other day also. This has been the best thing I have ever done for my hair. Once you get into the habit it doesn't seem so time consuming.

Crystalicequeen123

What IS it about frequent CO washes? IS it the frequent scalp stimulation? The clean scalp (ie. less buildup, greater ease in hair being able to grow through scalp)? I want to know what it is. :D

shellzfoshizzle

Crystalicequeen123 said:
What IS it about frequent CO washes? IS it the frequent scalp stimulation? The clean scalp (ie. less buildup, greater ease in hair being able to grow through scalp)? I want to know what it is. :D

Yes I know what you mean Crystal...I'd like to know what it is too, but I will check out the thread Bajan bumped too. I just cannot imagine washing my hair everyday. I know things have changed, but I have always grown up to NOT wash hair everyday "cause we ain't white". I rollerset my hair and I cannot imagine doing that every night, even though I am getting faster with rollersetting. And for those who CW daily, several times a week...do you all have natural hair or really long hair....something easy to style once you CW since you do it so frequently?

Muse

I'm bumping this up to see if anyone washes their hair with SHAMPOO at least 2xs a week. My sister says she washes her hair with poo more than once a week and her hair is longest it's ever been, she is very low maintenance. I am now using Joico which is pH balanced for hair and I heard that if a poo is properly pH balanced for hair it is ok to use more often. I just joined curves and I am sweating more so I just love to have a clean scalp, co washes are not an option because I use heavy cones to seal in moisture (sabino). The Joico Moisture Recovery line makes my hair feel strong and moisturized, I love it! Anyone else shampoo at least 2 times a week without a problem?

Tybi

Me!:wave:

I LOVE it! I just started washing with shampoo every (yes every) day, and I can feel a difference. I too use the Joico moisture recovery line, which makes my hair ridiculously soft. I lightly texlaxed a couple of weeks ago, and before that I was natural for 2.5 years. Back then I co-washed everyday. I liked that too, but I also use curl creams with cones, so I would prefer to use a shampoo.

I will most likely continue this for a long time, unless I discover a better method. I will say that the brand of shampoo matters, because before the Joico I used Tressemme which kinda left my hair feeling stripped and dry. Now my hair is so much softer, and much more moisturized. I will be taking pics to determine if my growth rate increases any too!

baddison

natural for good
I think that's an awful myth!! I've heard that one, too. But since I started my regimen with shampooing and conditioning 2x per week, my hair & scalp have never been healthier and stronger!!!:yep:

isawstars

I've started shampooing 2x a week because of the build up I get from mega tek. I've only been doing it for 3 weeks so I still can't say anything about. Some other purrty :gorgeous: haired ladies shampoo more than once a week like Sunsyn3

drasgrl

I wash twice a week with garlic shampoo and conditioner because my hair sheds a lot. I haven't noticed a slow down of the shedding yet. I also just started taking garlic supplements so I hope that helps.

Muse

I LOVE it! I just started washing with shampoo every (yes every) day, and I can feel a difference. I too use the Joico moisture recovery line, which makes my hair ridiculously soft. I lightly texlaxed a couple of weeks ago, and before that I was natural for 2.5 years. Back then I co-washed everyday. I liked that too, but I also use curl creams with cones, so I would prefer to use a shampoo.

I will most likely continue this for a long time, unless I discover a better method. I will say that the brand of shampoo matters, because before the Joico I used Tressemme which kinda left my hair feeling stripped and dry. Now my hair is so much softer, and much more moisturized. I will be taking pics to determine if my growth rate increases any too!

Oh good I thought I wash crazy for wanting to shampoo more often:spinning:
Yes that's how Joico makes my hair feel, WONDERFUL! So soft and moisturized. It felt great even BEFORE I put the conditioner in. I can't wait to see your pics, I would like to prove that frequent washing with the right
shampoo can be ok. Please keep us posted with how this works. I will poo at least 2xs/wk and report back.

Doesn't washing the hair too frequently strip the hair of its natural oils?:ohwell:

Yes this is true if you use poo that is not suited for your hair. I used Joico and I didn't get the dreaded tangles that I get with EVERY shampoo that I have ever used, sulfate free or not. I believe I have found a poo that will let me hold on to some of my natural oils but clean my hair and scalp pretty well as well as moisturize and add a touch of protein. I would never try to do frequent poos with any other poo.

But yeah what you stated is the reason why frequent washes with poo isn't too popular around here.

I think that's an awful myth!! I've heard that one, too. But since I started my regimen with shampooing and conditioning 2x per week, my hair & scalp have never been healthier and stronger!!!:yep:

See this is what I'm hoping for better hair AND scalp. I don't think I can get that with cowashes-just coating my hair and scalp with layer after layer of film and by the time I poo I will have to poo so many times to cut through the conditioner build up. I've tried it (with cone free conditioner) and I don't like it.:nono: My hair and scalp feel so light and airy right now. The only product I put in my hair after is Lacio Lacio and seal it with Sabino and that's it. I have not reapplied anything else and I don't need to.

I've started shampooing 2x a week because of the build up I get from mega tek. I've only been doing it for 3 weeks so I still can't say anything about. Some other purrty :gorgeous: haired ladies shampoo more than once a week like Sunsyn3

Yeah I can't stand build up from anything that's why I stopped putting so many layers of different products in my head. At one time I would put 5 different products in my hair at once! I just love the fresh clean feeling of shampooing.

I wash twice a week with garlic shampoo and conditioner because my hair sheds a lot. I haven't noticed a slow down of the shedding yet. I also just started taking garlic supplements so I hope that helps.

Now I have heard that garlic poo is very stripping how is that working out for your hair?

Muse

Ok Tigerlily since you use the same line and you poo daily I wanted to ask do you find that the more you wash with this stuff the easier it is to comb your hair, even when it's dry? This is happening to me I am a transitioning 4b and I could never run my fingers through my roots and I can. I have been washing every other day. I was also worried about manipulation but since my hair doesn't tangle and dry out anymore my comb is not the enemy, it's my friend now:lachen:

I look at it like this, some people put moisturizer on their hair every/other day to get the moisture and I choose to wash everyother day to get mine. I like to shampoo to remove any cones or product so that each time I apply my conditioner it's working for me in full force and not just sitting ontop of conditioner I already had on my hair. My hair is behaving a lot better now.

BTW, do you use the moisture recovery balm? That stuff is :lick: