Is frequent washing Needed to grow hair

monawalker

Hi everyone,
I have a quick question: Is a clean scalp NEEDED to grow hair or can a person go 2 and 3 weeks without washing their hair and acheive long lengths. <font color="blue"> </font>

Thanks

In my opinion, its more a matter of moisture. you don't get enough moisture going 3 wks between washings. as for the cleanliness issue, some people can go 2 wks, some not even one day. depends on buildup, products and how your scalp and hair handles it. I personally wash twice a week with one being a cond. wash.

For me it's the issue of moisture. Keeping my hair moisturized with the ultimate moisturizer(water) is working like a charm. I don't shampoo everyday, but I at least rinse(and if I'm really in a hurry...mist it with a lot of distilled water). Using a shampoo daily would be too much. That is why I rely on conditioning washes and just rinsing. I use shampoo once a week or if I feel a buildup of products.
Edited to say in the summer I shampoo 3 times a week because I sweat alot during aerobics class. In the winter I don't sweat as much and just do a conditioner wash. I rinse all the other days...

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
monawalker said:
Hi everyone,
I have a quick question: Is a clean scalp NEEDED to grow hair or can a person go 2 and 3 weeks without washing their hair and acheive long lengths. <font color="blue"> </font>

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm sure a clean scalp won't hurt. I have an oily scalp. Therefore, I shampoo/condition and rinse my hair a lot. I love the feel of a nice clean scalp.

I used to wash and rollerset my hair once every two weeks, and I did achieve growth but I can definitely say that now that I am washing weekly, my hair and scalp are in MUCH better condition, and my hair "seems" to be growing faster.
smile.gif

I can hardly believe that I used to go two whole weeks...
crazy.gif

It's best that you wash your hair at least once a week; getting rid of product build up is the main reason why you should, and having a clean scalp is another.

Thank you guys,
I am currently going 2 wks. between washing but I will admit that I have gone 3 weeks sometimes because the hairdresser is TOO EXPENSIVE. I just wanted to know if that was slowing down my hair growth. When I wash and set my own hair,it does not come out nicely. I am going to try plaiting my hair wet and see how it comes out, hopefully it comes out curly and nice so i can start washing my hair more often.
grin.gif

Why don't you do a wash and set at a Dominican salon for $20 or less every weekend. That helps the pocket a great deal. Other times I was and set myself. That will save you a lot in the long run. However doing your own hair makes you buy more hair products to try.
frown.gif

Thank you guys, my braid out came out looking decent so i am gonna start washing my hair every 3 days now.
grin.gif

mona--
I think that'll be great for your hair (more frequent washing). Since I've been natural, I've always washed at least once a week. I had a hairdresser tell me once that's why my hair grew so quickly (don't know how true it is, but my hair does seem to grow fast). Even when I was relaxed, I'd never go more than a week between shampooing. I'd go to Sally's &amp; buy what I thought would work for me &amp; just had to LEARN to do it 'cause I couldn't shell out money every week to a beautician. I invested in rollers &amp; a hood dryer. In the long run, it saves a lot of money.

I think that it is conducive to longer hair. Swimmers tell me all the time that their hair and nails grow like crazy in the summer when they swim. It may just be that water improves the elasticity and prevents splitting/chipping, but a fact is a fact!
weird.gif

Back