FROM BC TO WAIST LENGTH! Natural growth and health CHALLENGE.

Afrolatina

Hey Ladies!
Below are my pictures. The 1st is a shot of where I was back in January- one of the last pictures I had long hair in, the 2nd is after I was forced to bc/lost my hair (you can see balding in some areas), the 3rd is me currently. I also attached a pic that has more texture and length going on, but was taken around last October or so and doesn't feature how long my hair was- just me messing around lol. Shoot i'm ready to jump in!

Attachments

• 14443_1231409419075_1044310956_30713563_7658565_n.jpg
    14443_1231409419075_1044310956_30713563_7658565_n.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 20

lp318lp

Hey Ladies!
Below are my pictures. The 1st is a shot of where I was back in January- one of the last pictures I had long hair in, the 2nd is after I was forced to bc/lost my hair (you can see balding in some areas), the 3rd is me currently. I also attached a pic that has more texture and length going on, but was taken around last October or so and doesn't feature how long my hair was- just me messing around lol. Shoot i'm ready to jump in!

I know how you feel. I was losing my mane back in 2009 and did my BC on March 22, 2009. I have yet to post my pics, but I will one day. Also, I too hadn't seen much growth so that is why I am in this challenge. I would LOVE to be WL by 2013 in an ALL NATURAL way!! :yep:

Be encouraged, sister. We'll all get there with consistency and support. :grouphug:

Additionally, just wanted to let you all know that I clarified yesterday and trimmed my mane. It felt good! I also had to fight my inner scissor-happy-alter-ego! LOL!! I slathered my ORS Deep Penetrating Conditioner on with my conditioning cap and let that bad boy sit. Rinsing it out was GREAT and my texture is on the up-and-up. I also sealed it with my Haitian oil and put my MN in this morning. Braids are a-comin' so I had to get my scalp ready.

Today's style: Puff and two headbands

me~:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Prettyeyes

CHALLENGER LIST HAS BEEN UPDATED!!!

BTW, I will update the challenger list about twice a month but if you have not posted or PM'd your length in inches and are not 100% natural you will not be added.

Last edited:

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

CHALLENGER LIST HAS BEEN UPDATED!!!

HEY SIS!! :grin: 1st... thanks so much for the mesg, I initially was like frizz? eco styler gel? I don't know .... I must have asked you something about frizzy hair and forgot. My hair is frizzy usually but although I wear my hair to family's houses, store (under a hat) etc I never where my "styled" anywhere. I'm 6'0" tall and wearing around a TWA is just asking for gul's to slide me their number:ohwell:! :lachen::lachen: But naah, honestly I have a huge thing of eco styler gel in the fridge... I mixed with aloe juice as well as aloe gel, but I never use it. I don't style my hair... don't feel it's at length....look that i'm use to. I will be braiding or kinky twisting it soon. The ONLY REASON it's not up now is my scalp issues and I wash/cowash every single day. EVERY single day:nono:. Very beneficial as in moisturizing (water)...as well as conditioning, but the manipulation could be costing me strands of hair. I don't comb daily...or rarely really.

But thanks so much, I'm learning my hair (also still have a few strands to cut). I'll use the styler gel when I get into styling more.

Prettyeyes

HEY SIS!! :grin: 1st... thanks so much for the mesg, I initially was like frizz? eco styler gel? I don't know .... I must have asked you something about frizzy hair and forgot. My hair is frizzy usually but although I wear my hair to family's houses, store (under a hat) etc I never where my "styled" anywhere. I'm 6'0" tall and wearing around a TWA is just asking for gul's to slide me their number:ohwell:! :lachen::lachen: But naah, honestly I have a huge thing of eco styler gel in the fridge... I mixed with aloe juice as well as aloe gel, but I never use it. I don't style my hair... don't feel it's at length....look that i'm use to. I will be braiding or kinky twisting it soon. The ONLY REASON it's not up now is my scalp issues and I wash/cowash every single day. EVERY single day:nono:. Very beneficial as in moisturizing (water)...as well as conditioning, but the manipulation could be costing me strands of hair. I don't comb daily...or rarely really.

But thanks so much, I'm learning my hair (also still have a few strands to cut). I'll use the styler gel when I get into styling more.

Hey twin! Yes, you mentioned somewhere a problem with frizz and since our hair is so similar, mine also is frzzy/fluffy, so the ecostyler fixes that right up! I will post pics soon! So yeah remember that when you want curl definition!!!

Prettyeyes

Let's start talking about our Product/Technique/Style of the Month for August!

What have you been doing, what is working?? Anything really making this phase easier or helping with growth or retention?

lovely_locks

What have you been doing, what is working?? Anything really making this phase easier or helping with growth or retention?

i just switched up my regime. I mix my doo gro oil with my shea butter, and i am still using beemine growth serum everyday. I also make sure i wear my bonnet. I dont need my hair getting any shorter. I also cut down to washing every other day instead of everyday. And i am not switching any products till i use them all...which will probably be in december.

Fiyawerks

I really don't know what to do :rolleyes: my efforts are pretty much trial and error. I cowash daily with Suave coconut condish and spritz with a mixture of the jheri curl spray(in the gold bottle) rosemary oil, water, and TW mist.

I'm getting a quick weave on a cap in 3 wks, will keep in for 3 weeks, and possibly get twist extensions after that.

I need help posting pictures, my texture shot is in my profile picture; could someone type me please, and give me regimen feedback.

janda

Not much has changed for me. I'm still wet bunning under my phony pony. My regimen is still changing as I'm trying out different things. Right now I'm shampooing with a Ayurvedic shampoo bar 2 times a week and following up with a DC 2X/week. One of those sessions is with protein. I'm using the Cathy Howse recipe with Aveda DR as the base. Moisturizing DC has been Bee Mine (not sure of the smell but it makes my hair soft) and Wen Remoist (which really seems to be making my hair stronger). On non-shampoo days, I'm co-washing usually with Wen SAM. I do scalp messages a few times per week with Indian oils. I moisturize at night with Bee Mine Juicy and seal with coconut oil. Leave ins for my wet buns--usually a pump or 2 of Wen mixed with Aloe Vera Juice but I just got the Hairveda Whipped Jelly so I'm experimenting with that.

Evallusion

LiloLombardi

Right now, I'm on a 30 day/ 1 month personal twist challenge (July 18 - August 18). I can never keep my hair twisted for long because I am always playing in it so this is really a challenge for me. But its day 8 and I'm still going strong, go me!!! I'm wearing a wig over my twists, by the way.

I absolutely HATE the TWA phase...I can not explain to you how much it annoys me. This is why I always cut my hair...I've done around 7-10 chops...yeah, you heard right...BUT I am determined not to touch my hair this time around...and I'm happy to say that this is the longest I have gone without cutting my hair since 2007. GO ME!!!!!!!!!

Since I'm twisted, I'm not using many products:
Any shampoo
Cholesterol (DC)
Darcy's Botanicals Herbal Leave In Spritz/Spray
Carol's Daughter Healthy Hair Butter
JBCO

So twists, with a wig over top is my plan for retention and for keeping my hand out of my hair. :spinning:

**Oh, and I twist my hair every Sunday.

Mocha5

I am struggling with my natural hair. I don't know what to do with it, I'm bored, and I'm itching to relax it again. I'm dying for it to grow longer and I feel like it's growing so slow but it isn't. I just miss my long hair..... :(

Hang in there, girl. What about extensions? Maybe a wig? Just until you get through this phase.

pookaloo83

I washed my hair for the first time while in the crochet braids with Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat. My scalp is nice and cold. :grin: It feels so clean! I was afraid to wash while in them, thinking the hair would slip out.

Neek-a-Nator

For the month of August I had planned to take my weave down around the 12th and get some silky dreads put in, they look fabulous but the lady is booked til mid-Sept:( Soooooo, I guess I'll get my hair re-weaved with the 12inch remi goddess (my staple style) and I'll keep that in appr 8 -10 weeks. I really wanted these silky dreads for my cruise but ah well. I'm still washing my hair/weave once/week cause I work out really hard and I'm a scalp sweater, lol. My routine at this point is pretty boring.

Come on ladies, what do you have planned??

Prettyeyes

I was able to put my hair in 8 corn rows today so you know it has grown quite a bit!
I been wearing a wig for the most part and it is so easy to wig it I may keep this up for while!

Prettyeyes

Texture shots! 3 months post BC! 3c/4a combo!

Attachments

• texture baby too 015.jpg
    texture baby too 015.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 37
  • texture baby too 008.jpg
    texture baby too 008.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 35

Mocha5

Hi ladies. Looks like I'm finally in the right thread. I've been over in the spin off thread posting like I belong there. lol. This is my puff. Type 4a in the back and 4b everywhere else. Last relaxed Dec. 09 and BCed earlier this year. I'm 3 inches and counting. This is my third time going natural. I never make it pass APL before I relax so thank God for the support this time. 2013 will be here before you know it. Then we'll have a whole set of new issues. We'll be whining about how much hair we have then. LOL.

Love the hair Prettyeyes. It's beautiful! What's your hair type?

Mocha5

This is my PS (twists) for the next few weeks. I'm using MTG as a growth aid every other day. My twists are still pretty tight so I spray my scalp with S Curl activator for relief. Cleaning my scalp with Seabreeze instead of washing. I need to make these
stretch so no washing for me. Ummmm...what else? I'm just keeping it simple. I plan to roll into WL hair without a whole lot of hooplah! .;-)

MyAngelEyez~C~U

I have just been co-washing with Suave professionals sleek or almond and shea butter conditioner2-3 times a week, moisturizing with my juice spray, and using ecostyler as my styling product with longaid activator underneath. I baggy every night as well. I'm wanting to get braids for the fall/winter, but I don't know when I will....

Duchesse

I Bced a few days ago, so now I can join!

Length:around 4-5 inches stretched.
Texture: 4a/3c I think, and some loose wave kink fuzz

Regimen: For now, I'm continuing to wear cornrows under halfwigs..I'll prob be doing this for a looonng time...Shampoo 2x a month, cowash 2x a week, moisturize braids daily, DC when I rebraid. I don't have a set in stone regimen or product list.

Prettyeyes

Just wanted to say I think twa phase is very easy as far as maintenance but I am starting to miss my hair. Not my relaxer just the length. Oh well, still in corn rows and wigging it!

Prettyeyes

This is my PS (twists) for the next few weeks. I'm using MTG as a growth aid every other day. My twists are still pretty tight so I spray my scalp with S Curl activator for relief. Cleaning my scalp with Seabreeze instead of washing. I need to make these
stretch so no washing for me. Ummmm...what else? I'm just keeping it simple. I plan to roll into WL hair without a whole lot of hooplah! .;-)
Lovely got more pics and or a how to???:grin:

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

Just wanted to say I think twa phase is very easy as far as maintenance but I am starting to miss my hair. Not my relaxer just the length. Oh well, still in corn rows and wigging it!

i don't miss relaxed hair at all sis:nono::nono:
however, the tangles and shyyyte :blush: has really started to peeeve a sista off! THEREFORE, i'm in phase II, absolutely NOOOOOOO loose hair! This means simple twists for now (try shea butter, oil, and WN or scurl), nooooooo more washing while hair is loose...... braids, kinky twists, etc.

I really am in awe of how much a tiny winy ARSE afro can #1 shed so much, #2 ITCH (scalp) RELENTLESSLY, and #3 tangle and produce knots sooooooooo goyt dayuuuuum much
sorry ladies for the rant!

So so much for my lazy arse routine; i've been cutting, and cutting, and cutting. Last nite was the last straw, I cut an 2.5 inch knot with at least 30+ strands of hair intertwined

so yes... loving the natural state, not the tangles
I over moisturize a lot so this may be partially an issue
Also the way my hair coils, It has always tangled and shed (THE VERY REASON I REFUSED SALONS THE LAST 20 YRS)
just surprised it's still doing so WITH SO LITTLE HAIR GOING ON!

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

i'm pretty much gonna set my scalp on fire for this darn itching

that's one reason i'm selling all of my jbco, I never got this type of itch until i began using essential and natural oils
I think either jbco or peppermint oil is the culprit.... betting on the first

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

one more thing! :lachen::lachen: yes ladies i'm on a hair rant today

FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO ARE AVID WEAVE & BRAID WEARERS (like myself) .... be cautious if you are new (like myself) the the area of caring
for natural hair. I recognize clearly from other practices that if I continue to
wear protective styles (i.e. installs) and never get use to caring for my own
natural hair state... when we do reach our goal of WL, we are highly subject to more setbacks simply b/c the issues we run into and need to iron out will
be new to us
I am itching to install kinky twists, but with all of the unusual issues i've been having with the natural twa, I need to perfect those in order to not end up in the setback thread

IF WE STICK TOGETHER IN THIS CHALLENGE.... NONE OF US SHOULD END UP IN THE SETBACK THREAD

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

Hey Ladies!

MAY I ASK WHAT CAUSED THE HAIR LOSS AND WHAT YOU DID TO WORK ON IT? (pm me if better) your thinning looks similar to something i've incurred before! also, gorgeous hair!

KaramelDiva1978

SSSSSSSSOOOOOOO GLAD TO SEE WE'RE STILL HANGING IN THERE!!! :clap::clap::clap: I don't miss relaxed hair, but I definitely miss length. I just got a micro braid install last weekend, so for now, I'm good. I can't wait to see my progress in October, but I'll be covering it up and protective styling through winter. So far I don't mind at all-- I love just moisturizing and growing while keeping it versatile.

We got this girlz! I'll be posting pics of my micros soon--I'm loving my two shades of color!

KaramelDiva1978

VERY, VERY NICE TWISTS!!!!!!