Naturals (and former naturals): At what length...

At what length did knotting (ex single strand knots) and tangles become a problem?

• Lesss than 5 inches

Votes: 11 12.4%
  • 5+ inches

Votes: 17 19.1%
  • 6+ inches

Votes: 13 14.6%
  • 7+ inches

Votes: 10 11.2%
  • 8+ inches

Votes: 4 4.5%
  • 9+ inches

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • 10 + inches & beyond

Votes: 10 11.2%
  • This has never been a major problem/challenge for me.

Votes: 23 25.8%

• Total voters

RubyWoo

At what length in inches did knotting and tangling start to become a major challenge for you?

I've read many natural and former natural heads say that the TWA stage is the easiest. However, many go on to say that when their hair got longer that dealing with knots and tangles became more of a challenge to the point where frequent/regular heat straightening or relaxing became options. I would like to know at what length in inches (ex. 6+ inches) did the aforementioned become a challenge for you. Stating inches would be more accurate since SL, APL, etc varies with respect to inches for everyone. TIA!

Last edited:

**SaSSy**

3rd Big Chop on 7/18/2016
At what length in inches did knotting and tangling start to become a major challenge for you?

I've read many natural and former natural heads say that the TWA stage is the easiest. However, many go on to say that when their hair got longer that dealing with knots and tangles became more of a challenge to the point where frequent/regular heat straightening or relaxing became options. I would like to know at what length in inches (ex. 6+ inches) did the aforementioned become a challenge for you. Stating inches would be more accurate since SL, APL, etc varies with respect to inches for everyone. TIA!

When I use to be natural I started getting single knot strands once I started using high levels of heat and just never recovered from it. I BC after transition for 10 months, and started using heat right after there. I was maybe between EL to NL when I BC.

Fine 4s

I'm having trouble using the inches method since I'm not sure what starting point you want but from SL to WL I'm 15 inches. So I'd say at about 10 inches stretched or MBL+ I started experienced 'knot' issues. Or at least it became more noticeable during the grooming process. Perhaps straightening and trimming more might help. However, if I straighten more (ie blowdry) I suspect I might not need more trims.

Sassy, you started getting knots AFTER straightening with heat? I thought it was the other way around since the strands are not coiling around eachother.

We'll see what works for me I guess...

Last edited:

Triniwegian

It wasn't about inches for me.
It is about not letting my hair air dry without twisting, braiding, or putting it up in a bun.

sheba1

When I use to be natural I started getting single knot strands once I started using high levels of heat and just never recovered from it. I BC after transition for 10 months, and started using heat right after there. I was maybe between EL to NL when I BC.

More than likely it was due to the BC and not to the heat. Most don't really notice the single strand knot issue until their ends are coily. A lot of naturals actually use heat to combat the knots, as the hair is less likely to have chance to knot when the hair is consistently in a stretched state.

mariofmagdal

I can't say according to inches, but I do not get them unless I don't comb my hair for an extended period of time. Like when I am ill or when I last had braids due to hand surgery. (I otherwise would never wear braids) I take extra care to not allow my hair to become matted or tangled, I comb regularly. I guess I can say it is not a major problem for me.

loolalooh

Hmm ... probably about 5-6 inches. Before that, I could wear my hair in a loose, unmanipulated state without much of a problem. Since then, I wear my hair stretched or in a protective style to minimize knots and tangles.

Aviah

Even with slept on WnG's (which are the worst case scenario, excluding product mishaps,) detangling isn't a big deal for me unless I'm doing it dry. In the shower with conditioner in four sections is usually best for me, with a wide toothed comb, from the bottom up= not a problem!

ms.blue

if I let my hair airdry natural w/o braids then i'll get them. I usually blowdry my hair or braid it so I won't suffer ssks.

BlackMasterPiece

Tangles and ssk's were only an issue for me when I didn't have my technique together ie. washing my long natural hair loose (disaster) vs. washing in sections once you get considerable length. Now its not an issue for me whatsoever as my hair grows longer.

Nonie

I am somewhere between shoulder and APL and I have never had issues with knots and detangling because I keep my hair stretched and "locked" in a detangled state 90% of the time. This means that when I do have to wear it out, all I do is comb (no knots) and then I plait it at night. I don't do WNGs which I think is another reason I don't have issues with tangles and knots. I also dust as often as I think of it, which I think keeps my splits to a minimum and my ends less likely to tangle--I think.

JustKiya

It wasn't about inches for me.
It is about not letting my hair air dry without twisting, braiding, or putting it up in a bun.

I am somewhere between shoulder and APL and I have never had issues with knots and detangling because I keep my hair stretched and "locked" in a detangled state 90% of the time. This means that when I do have to wear it out, all I do is comb (no knots) and then I plait it at night. I don't do WNGs which I think is another reason I don't have issues with tangles and knots. I also dust as often as I think of it, which I think keeps my splits to a minimum and my ends less likely to tangle--I think.

A huge yes to the above. I've never had 'major' issues with knotting or tangling - assuming that I kept my hair in a stable state where it would have to work to tangle on itself.
Yes, that means I rarely wear twist-outs, I never wear wash&go's, and I look funny in afros - but my hair is happy - and so am I!

Junebug D

5-6 inches for me. It's avoidable if you keep your hair stretched most of the time... or if you lay off the deep conditionining. :sekret:

Queen_Earth

I didnt know what they were before so lately I have started to pay attention to them; I don't get them when my hair is straight; but right now I have a roller set and as my hair sweats out and my curls spread I am noticing some when I finger comb my hair

bludaydreamr

I vote about 7 inches for me it was between SL and APL.
My hair doesn't tangle as long as I detangle, deep conditioning and moisturize regularly . SSK and splits happen when I leave my hair loose, or don't protect my hair at night for extended periods of time.

MonPetite

Around the 4"-5" mark I noticed these towards the last half inch of my hair.

I have 3c/loose 4a coils/curls.

As long as I finger comb and co-wash daily, they are kept at a minimum.

Mdmommy99

I don't have exact inches but I would say as soon as my hair left the twa stage if I would get knots and tangles especially with a wash-n-go. I love my wng but I have to make sure its detangled and I can only wear it for a day or two.

chebaby

well i will be one year natural in april and i just started getting knots like a month ago. i dont get them too often and they are never bad but usually they are on my left side. the curls on that side hand looser so i guess it tangles more??? idk. but i co wash and wet puff alot(not now, im ps'ing in twists) and i still dont get too many knots.

to update this: i am back to co washing daily and i do not get ssk. the longer my hair gets obviously the more time it takes to detangle but i almost never get ssk.

Last edited:

mscocoface

Immediately. So I had to learn how to deal with them with a quickness. Through trial and error though I seem to have figured our a method to the madness on top of this head.

I say that cautiously because my hair has mad attituuuuuuude and changes like the weather around these parts as to what it likes and don't like. :ohwell:

It is my plight, but I ain't complaining. It is thick, healthy and slow growing.

RubyWoo

Thank you for the insightful posts ladies! I'll provide a more detailed response later when I get home.

BostonMaria

I noticed them when I was BSL. It was mostly due to a month long wash and go + no detangling phase back in May of 2009. I've had way less knots by doing monthly S&D's, rollersetting, and doing less wash and go's.

Lebiya

Nearing shoulder length for me ( not sure how many inches). I really don’t want to texturize because I have a VERY sensitive scalp due to eczema as a child, but without a doubt these single/double/triple etc. strand knots are prohibiting my retention of growth. I came here to grow long hair.

Washing my hair is sections is great -BUT- when I have to henna and deep condition I cannot do it in sections- then when I wash it loose I pay for it later (KNOT/TANGLE CITY).

Bkt is another option, but I fear that it will block out moisture also blow-drying THEN doing a 450 degree flat iron - @ 10 passes- does not sound safe for me either. I also wash frequently (daily at some periods) - more washing equals more bkt treatments…more heat ...I do not want straight hair, just a looser texture.

I’m still natural and confused what I should do.

4b’s, Is blow-drying necessary for a bkt? Is moisture a problem for you?

Can you get texturized results (looser texture) with bkt w/o so much bloody heat?!?

locabouthair

When I was natural I got the single strand knots but it didnt bother me. I was only neck length though. If my was longer it probably would have been an issue.

danigurl18

Definately 5-6 inches.. now I have to completely detangle well before I can move on to the next step or it gets crazy tangled

EMJazzy

Happily retired
I notice I only get the ssk's when my hair is loose so I make sure to keep it wrapped up and they only form in the back and sides....it's strange I never ever get them in the front (the texture is looser in the front than the back).

RubyWoo

For me, I started to notice tangles and single strand knots at about 5 inches. They don't bother me much as I just take my time to get them out.

My hair is now at about 6.5 inches and I was contemplating starting to wash my hair in sections/braids. I keep my hair in a stretched style so that has minimized the tangling and knotting. However, when I take my hair out, here come the knots and tangles. I think it also has to do with the fact that my shed hair gets tangled into my hair. Anyhow, I haven't suffered any damage or set backs. I just try to be patient.

I also don't comb/detangle as much as I should. I attribute that to laziness. I've just been finger combing and combing with a comb when I can. I'm going to put more of an effort to start detangling with a comb more frequently to help minimize tangles and knots.

I'll stick with keeping my hair in a stretched style since it's evident that it's working for those of you with longer hair than myself. Thank you again for the responses:)!

Last edited: