Gelling edges

afrofaithful

Have any of your gelled your edges continuously with success? I've been gelling my edges for awhile now with no obvious setbacks. I am really aiming to be bsl by the end of the year and want to ensure I am doing all I can to make that a reality. Have any if you experienced hair loss, traction alopecia, etc. any info is well appreciated!! Tia!

Guinan

Re-Branding
I've never had a problem with gelling my edges. My problem was the type of brush I used & not washing my hair often. I used to not wash my hair for weeks & kept applying gel; when I was natural & lazy. I think as long as your using a soft bristle brush & not a gel that cakes up, you should be fine. Oh and are washing your hair:)

deedoswell

I've never had a problem with gelling my edges. My problem was the type of brush I used & not washing my hair often. I used to not wash my hair for weeks & kept applying gel; when I was natural & lazy. I think as long as your using a soft bristle brush & not a gel that cakes up, you should be fine. Oh and are washing your hair:)

^^I agree. I have been gelling my edges for awhile. I only use a brush though on the nape area if I gel it. I use my fingers mostly. But I have never had a problem. And like pelohello said don't use gel that cakes up!!!:yep:

yuhlovevybz

I would be very careful with gel AND boar bristle brushes. I used one once last week and that thing snatched my edges with no hesitation. Just be sure it is very, very soft. I do recommend gel and a scarf. As I am gel or ecostyler have always been good, and for cheapies I love me some LA looks avocado oil gel. I can only ever find it at the NEX.

prettybyrd

I've found that gel is rarely the enemy, poor hair grooming practices while using the gel is.

The only time I had a problem with gel was when I brushed or combed my hair where gel was hardened. That's a free ticket to setback central. No more super firm hold gel, and no more combing/brushing gelled areas, period.

Iluvsmuhgrass

I love gel and it can be drying... especially since I need the heavier hold for sleek looks... :look: :yep: BUT I find that putting a conditioner on top and letting it sit makes for much easier removal, happy grass, retention of my edges.

EDTA: I do not try to manipulate it when it's gelled and I don't leave gel in for longer than two days. When wash day comes. I pre-poo with conditioner and a plastic bag... then it's business as usual.

Last edited:

A.Marie

I use Elasta QP Glaze with a little water daily and have not had any problems. It lasts all day and does not get hard or flake.