IS MY HAIR GROWING THIN? WHY?

preciousstone

i know the pics are uber clear but check out my pikistrip... (am so proud, i just set it up :grin::grin::grin::grin: )

what causes hair to 'grow thin'. I am not sure if it is cuz i just got a relaxer and i think i burned pretty bad so my hair is still kinda stuck to my head (know what i mean?).

Anyway.. i feel like my ends are growing thin. What can i do this relaxer cycle to stop that.

This last time i stretched for 13 weeks and had alot of breakage the last 3 weeks and I pretty much tried everything to stop it. I'd like to stretch this time for about 17 weeks but this time I think I'll braid from 8 wks post and then keep braids in for 6-8wks.

Here's my regimen
1x-2x/wk :
con detangler poo/ors aloe poo
suave tropical coconut/vo5 strawberry condish

1x/wk
ORS replinishing deep condish

Daily moisturizer
ORS Carrot oil and/ coconut oil

Growth aid - 2x-3x/wk
Glover's (in the yellow tub)

Last edited:

preciousstone

there's a good article about this somewhere, let me see if I can find it...

here it is...it was on southerntease's blog (maneandchic.blogspot.com) and it's written by Chicoro (who's also a member here)...hope this helps.

http://maneandchic.blogspot.com/2008/02/thin-ends-growing-or-breaking-chicoro.html

WOW!! Thanks! I didn't know it could be a good thing.. that's great.. i'll keep monitoring to make sure it's a growing thing.. but it is thinner and longer than before so hopefully that IS what it is!!! YAY!

PerplexingComplex

I can't really see the pictures clearly, but it looks like you just don't have a blunt cut. If the hair isn't even it may give the appearance that as it grows it's getting thinner.

Denise11

Awe man! I've cut my hair so many times because of thin ends! Just before coming here, I cut off about 2 inches just to be sure I got all of the uneveness. I'm glad to have this info for the future.

Nonie

I have another theory on thin ends. There's no question that your hair is growing, but the ends get thin because of wear and tear. I'm not sure what the perfect solution is when your hair is short but when it grows longer, wearing protective styles is one way to prevent thinning ends. For me regular dusting...so that the worn ends do not get a chance to spread up the length of the hair has been my "solution". If I don't do it regularly, then it means the ends will break on their own, thus taking away the progress I made, or I will have to cut them myself coz I can't stand skinny ends.

I was trying to remember someone who tried this experiment of protecting ends and posted pics of the difference it made but could not remember who it was. I thought it was Sherrylove and was looking for her posts when I saw this one that I don't think I remember ever seeing but which seems to agree with me that regular dusting is better than spaced out trims: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showpost.php?p=676920&postcount=1

preciousstone

I have another theory on thin ends. There's no question that your hair is growing, but the ends get thin because of wear and tear. I'm not sure what the perfect solution is when your hair is short but when it grows longer, wearing protective styles is one way to prevent thinning ends. For me regular dusting...so that the worn ends do not get a chance to spread up the length of the hair has been my "solution". If I don't do it regularly, then it means the ends will break on their own, thus taking away the progress I made, or I will have to cut them myself coz I can't stand skinny ends.

I was trying to remember someone who tried this experiment of protecting ends and posted pics of the difference it made but could not remember who it was. I thought it was Sherrylove and was looking for her posts when I saw this one that I don't think I remember ever seeing but which seems to agree with me that regular dusting is better than spaced out trims: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showpost.php?p=676920&postcount=1

That's a good theory.. prob is, i can't trust my stylist.. or i can't imagine one i can trust to trim my hair without chopping off all my hard earned inches:ohwell:... maybe i can do the research to learn how to dust.

Nonie

That's a good theory.. prob is, i can't trust my stylist.. or i can't imagine one i can trust to trim my hair without chopping off all my hard earned inches:ohwell:... maybe i can do the research to learn how to dust.

I think there are a few people that do their own dusting and if you do a search, you can get ideas. I do mine when my natural hair is in twists. I just start redoing my twists and each time I redo one, I stretch the end holding a very tiny bit of it and snip it. Then move on to another. I use my fingers to feel for the same size, so I'm taking the same off every part, and thus if I had a shape, I wouldn't change it much if at all since the same amount is removed all round.

Faith

I believe Chicoro about the length thing. I noticed I have a few hairs that seem to "scout" a length before the rest reach it. Every time I would cut them off to even my hair out it would take longer than if I just left the longer parts alone and let the shorter ones catch up. They always catch up. Not sure why trimming them off throws it off. Weird :ohwell: Btw, I do my own dusting/S&D. I also do my own trims. I don;t trust anybody else.

Last edited:

ellebelle88

OP, same here--My hair is pretty thick itself. But my ends, which are longer than the rest of my hair, seem pretty scant. I'm not sure if I should get a trim so it can look fuller or just wait and see if the rest of my hair will eventually catch up. But I HATE for my hair to look thin.