Hair Issues(Beware, Y'all Know My Posts Are Long)

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
Hair Issues(Beware, Y\'all Know My Posts Are Long)

Grab a nice cup of tea, put on your slippers, sit back and relax and read this chronicle of my hair meeting with disaster.

A VISIT TO THE SALON:

So I had my touch-up 2 weeks ago with my wonderful stylist. I've been with her a year now and I'm so satisfied--she's at JC Penney. I also got a black colorshine which I shall NEVER do again. (very messy--see my thread about that...)

PROBLEMS ARISE:
Anyway, we get to the shampoo bowl and I'm expecting to smell 5 in 1 or Positive Link after the relaxer has been rinsed. So, I inquire. Well, the salon is out of 5 in 1 and Positive Link. My stylist said that they (the stylists) complain about this frequently to the salon manager who continues to do nothing about it, because she's trying to save money.
OKAY--but your money saving is compromising the integrity of my hair!!!!!!!!!! Anyway, my stylist says that maybe if a customer (me) would say something about it then it would hold more weight. Now remember, my stylist already told me why she does this. (to save $$$) My stylist does not plan on being a JCP stylist forever--but where ever she is, I want to be one of her clients--she's that good with my hair. So I'm thinking that I'll just buy my own 5 in 1 and Positive Link and take them to the salon "just in case" this crap happens again. But that day, I purchased a DB Reconstruct just for the protein--the stylists had been using Humecto as the post-relaxer conditioning treatment. Uh-uh, that ain't gon' get it
Even the DB is not the product created to go with that system, but I knew I needed some strength after the relaxer. Nevertheless, 5 in 1 and Positive Link are usually applied before neutralizing, and of course she didn't use the DB that way. In fact, she didn't use it until after she rinsed the colorshine application out.

TALKING TO THE MANAGER:

When I walked to the register to pay, the manager was there. I knew she was the manager, but didn't want to let on (didn't want to get my stylist in trouble) so I asked the manager to see , well--the manager. She said it was her. I explained to her the problem and that I knew it wasn't my stylist's fault. I explained to her that I know full well what my hair needs after a chemical and was very concerned that they didn't have the appropriate products for use after a chemical service. Do you know, that this ***** (and she's a sista y'all--I'm so
) had the nerve to blame the Avlon company for their lack of products. She said that Avlon had it on back order. PLEASE
I didn't believe it for one minute. If I am Avlon and I have this HUGE corporate account with JC Penney--I think I'm going to 'do the right thang' by them. Anyway, I smiled and thanked her for listening with plans to take the next step above her head. (JCP regional manager) And this chic had the nerve to tack on a $15 mid-back length charge to my services. (never had that done before) I don't think I'd have done that if a customer had just told me that she was dissatisfied with something at my place of business.

BREAKAGE BEGINS:

So, I notice that my hair is breaking! Oh no--I hadn't seen breakage in a while. I'd seen the long strands, but not broken pieces of hair. So about 4 days after the retouch--I shampoo and condition using DB Reconstruct. I wasn't ready to use something really strong yet. (see the reversion thread) In my wet comb out, I may see 1 to 2 long hairs, but still broken pieces even after the conditioning. I used to mistake my 1 or 2 long hairs for lots of hair because the long hairs would be wrapped and intertwined around the comb--but I actually started pulling them out to count and it was only a couple. But this time when I pulled them out it was like 7 or 8 broken hairs. Now granted, that's not a HUGE amount but it is more than I've seen in a LONG time and it's more than my "standard" for my hair. This continued on the next 2 shampoos and even during the week--I was getting breakage.

SO WHAT'S THE PROBLEM?:

After the relaxer was rinsed, my hair was immediately neutralized (instead of 5 in 1/Postive Link because it wasn't available) --then the black rinse was applied, then the conditioner. So that means my hair had a black rinse coating the strands right after a chemical service with no conditioner directly on the strand whatsoever.
I didn't even THINK of this at the time of service. My goodness. So I realized that until some of this color started coming out--my conditioning treatments were going to do minimal. I have been shampooing more frequently to speed up the process. I think right now I've shampooed enough to get enough of the color out to allow something else in. Relief is in sight.

WHAT I DID IN THE MEANTIME:

I contacted Avlon Industries just to "double check" the story of the JCP salon manager. I let them know that I just didn't believe that their company (pretty reputable) would compromise a client's hair by not providing the appropriate products to go with their relaxer system. I got a response 2 days later and she not only said that she was contacting their JC Penney account manager, but that she wanted to send me something as a token of appreciation. (I don't know what) I thought that was nice--good customer service. So, we'll see--I still may contact the JCP regional manager depending on any outcomes of me contacting Avlon directly.

SO WHAT ABOUT MY HAIR?:

Last night, I used an extensive damaged hair regimen that had been posted--where else--LHCF! Thank God for this board.
Of course, with my many products--it was easy to follow it. What I did was something like this:

*shampoo with clarifying 'poo (Kenra--a great clarifier too
)
*mix a moisturizing conditioner with a creamy protein reconstructor, put a cap on and leave in for 30 minutes (I used Kenra MC + Joico K-Pak)
*take cap off [do not rinse yet], spray on a liquid moisturizer and dry the hair almost completely. (I used Deep Brilliance Manage Leave-In) I knew this one was weird to me--but I could actually see the logic in it--kind of the aphogee thing
I couldn't really get my hair to dry, but I did my best.

RINSE it out...

*Apply another creamy reconstructor (the regimen suggested Keraphix which I may use next time, but this time I used K-Pak Daily) You're supposed to leave this on overnight. The next morning--you're supposed to rinse it and then shampoo and condition as normal. (I used Elucence 'poo and Kenra MC w/ NTM Silk Touch as my leave-in)

This time I saw 1 broken hair and 1 long hair. I would call that improvement. The regimen said to do it twice a week until the hair is better. It was very extensive--I doubt I'll do it twice a week, but I will do it again next Friday Night/Saturday Morning.

I also bought some Nexxus Emergencee a few days ago in case I have to bust it out!

Anyway, this was my vent/share session. I have not been on the board as much since I started my new job. I love it! (I'll get to that on the OT one day) But, that's what's going on with me.
Bye

keylargo

Re: Hair Issues(Beware, Y\'all Know My Posts Are Long)

nice to hear from you. we missed you. Happy Birthday!

keylargo

by the way, I saw your 07/24 picture that you just added to your album. Your hair looks amazing

Tene

That's good your hair is doing better.

kitchen_tician

Wow, I'm sorry all of that happened to you.

I always use Affirm 5 n 1 when relaxing, but usually after the neutralizing poo. I just got brave enough to use the 5 n 1 prior to the neutralizing poo and I love it the results.

I think you did the right thing and no, your hair shouldn't have to suffer for her "tight budget". If you do decide to contact JC Penny's regional manager you may want to do it it writing. I'm glad you've solved your hair problem.

Happy Birthday and Thanks for sharing

Wow, that was an experience. I'm glad you found something to get your hair back on track, I knew you would. Btw, Happy Birthday!

CharUK

"Honestly, Truly"
Re: Hair Issues(Beware, Y\'all Know My Posts Are Lo

Wow, how stressful, i'm glad you managed to rectify the problem.

Can't wait to hear what Avlon sent you!

xx

inthepink

I hope you get your hair back in shape sooner rather than later.

Michelle79

I'm glad your hair is getting back to normal! Happy B-day!!

sassygirl125

Professional PJ

Whew! You scared me for a minute! I'm glad you're back on track.

flyjump00

Happy Birthday to you! Sorry for all the hair drama.

melodee

Sorry to hear about that JCP mishap. I know your hair will turn out fine. You know, I did my own black rinse and the mess was minimal. You may want to try again if you like the effect.

[ QUOTE ]
Allandra said:
I'm glad your hair is back on track.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto
Supergirl, you do NOT play when it comes to customer service (a woman after my own heart)

Your hair is breathtaking!

CheerHHS

Supergirl, contacting the regional manager goes a LONG way! When my mother was a customer at the JcPenney salon she recieved a HORRIBLE color job. I mean breakage all over the place. She got fed up and contacted the regional manager as well as the JcPenney store manager. As a way to make up for the terrible service she recieved they gave her free services twice a month for six months. She also received FREE products the entire time, and were talking the GOOD stuff. So if you were that displeased I suggest talking the those above the manger.

Victorian

old head

I'm glad you were able to use a regimen from the LHCF to help you get your hair back to normal
I hope those Avlon people send you something good, for your trouble!

And Happy Birthday Kupergirl!

ChasingBliss

That 5 in 1 positive link must be some good stuff. Glad you were able to alleviate the problem.

candibaby

im glad that you were able to somewhat fix the problem, but i'm too mad at the manager acting like she couldnt get those products! i'd rather spend a lil extra money on good products than lose money because clients stopped coming because i didnt have the ones they wanted!

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach

Thanks for sharing that story. I am glad you were able to stop the breakage before it got worse!!

Happy Birthday!!!

Supergirl

With Love & Silk

[ QUOTE ]
melodee said:
Sorry to hear about that JCP mishap. I know your hair will turn out fine. You know, I did my own black rinse and the mess was minimal. You may want to try again if you like the effect.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I do love the blackness of the hair with the rinse. I do plan on doing it again myself--and not with colorshines.

Cheer HHS,

Thanks for the information --I will go ahead and do that.

Tracy

Good for you for taking things as far as you needed to, to get a result you were satisfied with.

I'm glad you corrected the problem too. That hair needs to be preserved for the Long Hair Museum of Art!

vevster

Supergirl,

I started a damaged hair remedy also but I use diff products. I used Aphogee, PM Superharged and Porosity Control.

Can you link me to the remedy you used?

Nyambura

surfer girl

Happy Birthday, Supergirl!

I've been gone for a while but I'm glad I logged on - good for you for dealing with the situation. And your hair, as always, looks beautiful.

Sweetyb

Congrats at reaching your hair goal Supergirl!!!

Thanks for sharing your hair experience with us.

auntybe

I am glad you are getting some results for the bad customer service you received. I wish you luck with your hair.