Hair Problems.....please help

nychaelasymone

I washed my hair last night w/ Neutrogenia clairfying shampoo and used Emergencee, followed by PM supercharge moisturizing conditioner, and then porosity conditioner. I also rinsed my hair w/ cold water...and I mean cold water. My hair is still shedding!!!!!!! I did the porosity test again and my hair just dropped to the bottom of the glass. I did wrap my hair w/ IC mousse and a leave-in conditioner. What to do? what to do? I gotta use heat on my hair because it's cut so short. I don't want to wash and dry again but what else can I do. My hair looks dry and I even added some Nexxuss Humec. conditioner to my hair. I want a natural nice, smooth, shine, but my hair is fighting me. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

HoneyDew

Do you use a protective serum before you use heat to lock in moisture? It also gives you shine and softness.

nychaelasymone

HoneyDew said:
Do you use a protective serum before you use heat to lock in moisture? It also gives you shine and softness.

I use silk elements heat protectant spray. I tried this for the 1st time yesterday. I was using IC heat protectant.

nychaelasymone

baglady215 said:
How many hairs are you shedding a day? More than normal?

when I comb my hair I see a strands in the sink and on my shoulders. I can't really say how many but it's more than three.

Blu217

Shedding about 100 hairs a day is normal. Are you shedding or breaking? Look for a white bulb at the end of your hair; if you see that, it's shedding. If not, you're breaking off.

It also sounds like you might be using waaay too many products. Clarifiers strip the hair clean of oils. You might want to wash again with a regular moisturizing shampoo now that you've clarified, and try a leave-in conditioner and maybe something without alcohol to add some shine, but nothing more. See if that improves things.

Oh, and have you ever tried a clear cellophane, like Jazzing? It's like putting "clear" color on your hair that gives it a semi-permanent shiny coat, and because it's not stripping your natural color I'm told is pretty good for the strands as well.

Good luck!

nychaelasymone

Blu217 said:
Shedding about 100 hairs a day is normal. Are you shedding or breaking? Look for a white bulb at the end of your hair; if you see that, it's shedding. If not, you're breaking off.

It also sounds like you might be using waaay too many products. Clarifiers strip the hair clean of oils. You might want to wash again with a regular moisturizing shampoo now that you've clarified, and try a leave-in conditioner and maybe something without alcohol to add some shine, but nothing more. See if that improves things.

Oh, and have you ever tried a clear cellophane, like Jazzing? It's like putting "clear" color on your hair that gives it a semi-permanent shiny coat, and because it's not stripping your natural color I'm told is pretty good for the strands as well.

Good luck!

I have breakage. Tiny hairs in the sink and on my shoulder. Is it safe to wash again. I will have to put heat in my hair again? I air dry under a hood dryer and then I use ceramic irons to curl my hair. I just used heat yesterday....I typically put the heat on 350, is this too high?

shortness

nychaelasymone said:
I have breakage. Tiny hairs in the sink and on my shoulder. Is it safe to wash again. I will have to put heat in my hair again? I air dry under a hood dryer and then I use ceramic irons to curl my hair. I just used heat yesterday....I typically put the heat on 350, is this too high?

That sounds way too high for me.... I think I keep mine at 280 (or somewhere around that). I have relaxed fine hair and it can't taken all that heat. I don't know your hair, but I would say lower the heat

Blu217

Definitely lower that heat! I'd guess heat is probably at the er... root of your problem. :)

I'm just wondering about all that product and all that heat. I can't say if it's safe to wash again right away, but if it were my hair, the next time I wash I'd use a high-quality moisturizing shampoo (search the boards to see if people are raving about one that sounds good to you) and maybe a hot oil treatment. Some of the women here use a curl-forming leave-in and let their hair air-dry to get a crinkly look that's pretty cute. Do you think you could try something like that to give your hair a rest from the heat?

baglady215

I agree. I think heat is your biggest problem. I know it's hard with shorter length hair to avoid heat, but you really must if you want to stop the breakage. I don't know how you feel about braids or weaves, but they allowed me to grow my hair to a length that I could bun my hair and avoid heat. Or maybe braidouts, twistouts, etc.

nychaelasymone

baglady215 said:
I agree. I think heat is your biggest problem. I know it's hard with shorter length hair to avoid heat, but you really must if you want to stop the breakage. I don't know how you feel about braids or weaves, but they allowed me to grow my hair to a length that I could bun my hair and avoid heat. Or maybe braidouts, twistouts, etc.

pin curls it is......I can't get a weave or braids due to my edges recovering from my last cycle of weaves and braids.

baglady215

nychaelasymone said:
pin curls it is......I can't get a weave or braids due to my edges recovering from my last cycle of weaves and braids.

Good. If you avoid heat for a while, I'm sure you'll see some improvement. :)