Hair too long?

Candy_C

sweetcashew said:
Oh wow...a hair model. geesh thanks. Maybe I won't cut it just yet. And maybe i won't cut that much off for the summer. But I am a little bored with the length.

Hey, i think if you wanna cut it a bit then cut it, it'll grow back. sometimes its nice to refresh your hair. no point havin longer hair if you are not satisfied! even if its not damaged or whatever, what better reason to cut it because U WANTED TO! i think its a great excuse to use rather then "oh it was damaged". do whatever u feel, its your hair. if somebody thinks its too long and it affects you, then maybe they've just plucked out an emotion within u that u've had for a long time. thats what i think anyway! u kno i love your hair, no matter how long or short it is, and i know u do too!

Miss*Tress

shelli4018 said:
I have a friend who happens to look best with shorter hair. She's very petite. Long hair overwhelms her. On the other hand, I look better with longer hair. I'm tall and have a long skinny neck.
I agree that some people look better with short hair, i.e. Halle Berry. However, I just want to say if that's you in your avatar, you look very pretty with short hair too. It shows off that elegant neck of yours. Talking about "skinny". :lol:

zzirvingj

Sistaslick said:
ITA! I think as long as you are pleased with your hair- then it shouldn't matter what anyone else has to say. And you know we all are in love with your hair! :yep: You shouldn't let anyone else's opinion of what is "too long" affect you. Thats why they have the power to cut theirs when theirs is too long- no one can control yours!

But in general, (for me) I do think some lengths can be "too long", particularly if you are short and it overwhelms your face AND body. I don't think it is a race issue either. Hair swamping an entire person isn't cute on any race (in my opinion :lol: ). When your hair starts dusting up the floor behind you, getting in your food, or is generally getting in the way of people seeing you-- then a cut may suffice. I think hip/tailbone length is the lengthiest I could consider beautiful on anyone. Once you start creeping past that point . . .:look:

This is the hip/tailbone I'm thinking of. Longer than this...:confused:

ITA! I don't think I would look good with hair past mid back. If it can even get to that point, we'll see... :) But I am pretty sure I'll be happy with it being a couple of inches past the bottom of my brastrap.

When I was wearing it relaxed it was past my shoulders a couple of inches. I cut it to just above my shoulders to me it looked better at that length, but it may have been due in part to the fact that is was a new, "fresh" look on me. But a couple of weeks later I cut it ALL off to "big chop" so I didn't get to enjoy it long.

I am 5" 1.5' so I CAN see if my hair was waist length or longer, looking like my hair was "wearing me" instead of the other way around. Especially cause it is EXTREMELY THICK. LOL.

lala

sweetcashew said:
Yesterday my brother told me that I need a hair cut. I asked him if my hair is looking thin or damaged. He said no, it's just too long. He showed me a spot on my back where he thinks I should cut it up to.
Earlier in the week my ex told me the same thing but I didn't pay any attention to him. But to hear the same thing come from another man's mouth made me sit up and pay attention.
I've had friends tell me before that they thought my hair was too long for my height.
Ladies do you think there's ever such a thing as too long hair on a black woman?

I think society has a problem accepting black women with long hair. It's weird b/c even black people buy into that sort of thinking. I'm not sure if other ethnic groups experience such drama when growing their hair long, but I doubt that they do. My hair dresser trimmed me yesterday (after retouch) and exclaimed how my hair has grown & then immediately asked me how long did I plan to let it grow? She said my hair length was not normal. Huh? She specializes in weaves, and it amazes me how people would rather see us with long weaves rather than us growing our own hair.

sweetcashew

Well ladies, this morning as I was getting ready to go out I got the scissors and snipped off about 4 inches. :lol: I LOVE IT! I think my hair looks for adult now. It's now about3 inches below brastrap and I think it looks perfect. I guess they were right.

Candy_C

sweetcashew said:
Well ladies, this morning as I was getting ready to go out I got the scissors and snipped off about 4 inches. :lol: I LOVE IT! I think my hair looks for adult now. It's now about3 inches below brastrap and I think it looks perfect. I guess they were right.

oh how i pray for the day i can chop off 4 inches and be happy about it!!:lol:

sprungonhairboards

sweetcashew said:

:eek: PICTURES! PICTURES!

shelli4018

MissBiss said:
I agree that some people look better with short hair, i.e. Halle Berry. However, I just want to say if that's you in your avatar, you look very pretty with short hair too. It shows off that elegant neck of yours. Talking about "skinny". :lol:

You're sweet! Thanks!

Mahalialee4

Why would someone you are just dating, a relative, or just some guy set your limit for you? I know of situtions ( we all do) where the guy would flip if you cut off "all that long hair". I also know that some men want you to cut it. A woman cuts it off to please them. They bust up down the road...guess what he is thinking?...I am the one that got to have all that hair and no body else is going to get it...and trust me they know that black women's hair doesn't just get long overnite. I would NEVER CUT MY HAIR FOR ANY MAN OR WOMAN.... oh and as for Tyra...she wears a long wig and her own is short so I really do not think she is an authority on how long anyone's hair should be. So this year the style is bra strap and then fashion pulls a 360...it always does and suddenly everybody goes superlong hair romantic vintage and people will be trotting out the long wigs....just like 90% of the models swishing down the runway are wearing and why?....most of them, their own hair is jacked up and chopped up and chewed up looking to achieve some style that some Miss Jade done set the standard for...puleeze...do not let someone use your head.....lol bonjour

sweetcashew

Mahalialee4 said:
Why would someone you are just dating, a relative, or just some guy set your limit for you? I know of situtions ( we all do) where the guy would flip if you cut off "all that long hair". I also know that some men want you to cut it. A woman cuts it off to please them. They bust up down the road...guess what he is thinking?...I am the one that got to have all that hair and no body else is going to get it...and trust me they know that black women's hair doesn't just get long overnite. I would NEVER CUT MY HAIR FOR ANY MAN OR WOMAN.... oh and as for Tyra...she wears a long wig and her own is short so I really do not think she is an authority on how long anyone's hair should be. So this year the style is bra strap and then fashion pulls a 360...it always does and suddenly everybody goes superlong hair romantic vintage and people will be trotting out the long wigs....just like 90% of the models swishing down the runway are wearing and why?....most of them, their own hair is jacked up and chopped up and chewed up looking to achieve some style that some Miss Jade done set the standard for...puleeze...do not let someone use your head.....lol bonjour

Nah, my ex likes my hair long. Last year I got him to chop off about 8 inches and he didn't want to do it at all. Maybe the difference is that most of my layers grew out so there wasn't too much shape to it.

Crystalicequeen123

cocowhite said:
I think your length is perfect, but it is all a matter of personal preference. I know that the longest I want my hair to be is mid-back/waist length, anything past that would seems like extra work and of course that depends on if it evens gets to mid back :) .

I agree. :yep: I personally probably won't go any longer than bra-strap length. I have yet to get there, but when I get there, I probably won't go too much longer. Any longer and it would just be a lot of hassle.

Although I think that hair length should be everyone's personal preference on how long they decide to grow their hair, I DO know what you mean by hair being "too long". For some reason, on older women (40's and up), long LONG hair (hair past the bra strap) just looks a bit odd to me for some reason. :( I don't know, it just looks kind of juvenile and/or "mountain woman"-ish. :look:
This goes for ALL races too. I don't care if you're Asian, White, Hispanic, Black, etc...I think hair that is TOO long (tail bone length) if you're a certain age doesn't look as good as shorter hair.

Like, little girls can have tail bone hair and for some reason their hair doesn't look "weird". But when I see an older woman with long hair like that, it just looks strange to me. :ohwell:

I notice that on Oprah, when she has those makeovers of women who haven't had a hair cut in years, what is the first thing the stylists do? They CUT their hair! And not just a few inches, I mean they CUT it all off into a shorter bob. And I have to admit, they DO look better! :up:

I think it just depends on you however. If YOU like it, then who cares what other people think??

blackbarbie

Cashew,
Considering you had beautiful hair BEFORE you cut it this morning, I'm sure it's still beautiful! As long as you are happy with it, that's all that matters.

I'm curious, you mentioned it being too long for your height. How tall are you?

sweetcashew

blackbarbie said:
Cashew,
Considering you had beautiful hair BEFORE you cut it this morning, I'm sure it's still beautiful! As long as you are happy with it, that's all that matters.

I'm curious, you mentioned it being too long for your height. How tall are you?

Isis

Crissi said:
I like your hair!!!!!, don't cut (unless you want to, but then send the rest over to me, lol)

Well i was watching one of the old ANTM seasons and Tyra said that your hair should not be any longer than a 3rd of your height, and on me i think thats true, anything longer than 20inches on me would start to look awful, however thats just my personal opinion

edited to add: I don't think race has anything to do with it, hair thats to long is just hair thats to long

I haven't heard this before. I'm 5'4" so that means my hair should only be allowed to grow about 21 inches? Or 22 inches for Sweetcashew? I've already seen much longer hair on the ladies here that look absolutely gorgeous. I don't think this "rule" applies across the board to everyone.

sprungonhairboards

Isis said:
I haven't heard this before. I'm 5'4" so that means my hair should only be allowed to grow about 21 inches? Or 22 inches for Sweetcashew? I've already seen much longer hair on the ladies here that look absolutely gorgeous. I don't think this "rule" applies across the board to everyone.

If Tyra said it, maybe she was referring to weaves :lachen: :lol: That I'd have to agree with. No waistlength weaves ladies!

Healthb4Length

I'm agreeing with what everyone says, it's all about personal preferences. I know that on ME a long blunt cut look would not look cute at all! I have a big ar$e head so I need some layers to break it up and provide swing and movement or I'll look like cousin IT or wiggy.

SandySea

You know you've arrived when people are telling you your hair is too long. It's your hair, grow it as long as you want.

caltron

I like black women's long hair more than I like it on any other race of women. Partly because you don't see many black women with super long hair because of the delicate nature of it. Also, it seems that most black women with hair that length have very healthy hair with lots of body that is well cared for and beautifully styled. I really hate long hair that is long ratty that looks like it hasn't been trimmed in years--or long hair that just hangs there and has no style, shape, body or texture to it at all.

My favorite length for long hair is around mid back to waistlength. When it starts getting around the tailbone, it starts to look a little freakish.

Lucia

ITA sometimes people are just haters, even if they're family.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=40514

I wouldn't go any longer than WSL-TLBN personally if it gets that long maybe I would just let it grow past TLBN just to satisfy my own curiousity then maybe cut it back to that length, we'll see.

Last edited:

sunkissedbronze

Sweetcashew I think your hair is beautiful!!!! DO NOT CUT IT !!! Do your thing Girlfriend!!! I am dying to get to that length (a little past shoulder length currently sigh) it is a very sexy length

shelli4018

caltron said:
I like black women's long hair more than I like it on any other race of women. Partly because you don't see many black women with super long hair because of the delicate nature of it. Also, it seems that most black women with hair that length have very healthy hair with lots of body that is well cared for and beautifully styled. I really hate long hair that is long ratty that looks like it hasn't been trimmed in years--or long hair that just hangs there and has no style, shape, body or texture to it at all.

Now that you mention it....yeah, I think long hair on black women looks fabulous too. It has more character. Doesn't just lie there. I just wish more sisters would nurture the hair that grows out of their heads versus a weave. I have a friend who had gorgeous hair when we were teens. Its been hiding under a weave for the past 10 years!