hair typing visual

mech

do you agree with this hair typing system? does your hair type look like the one(s) pictured above?

wavezncurlz

LHCF addict
nope. I think I'm between their so called 2b (it's curlier/wavier) and 3a (looser) on this chart and I'd never label my hair that way. Also, not seeing a big difference between the 3a and 3b on the chart.

empressri

IMO 3A looks way looser than that, there's doesn't look to be a difference between 3a and 3b. The rest looks like it goes, but there is always the exception to the rule so I don't worry about this much.

CurlsBazillion

Didn't somebody else start a thread with this photo before? Anyway according to this board I'm 3b lol. I'm type four for sure so I can't cosign on this one.

Embyra

I'll stick to the CG hair typing it's more descriptive

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

CurlsBazillion

I'm type 4a and this is what my hair looks like dry and product free so either that picture is off or I've been misinformed.

empressri

I'm type 4a and this is what my hair looks like dry and product free so either that picture is off or I've been misinformed.

And here we go on why I hate hair typing.

Your curls don't look like 4a to me lol they look more like 3c-ish... ahhh but here's the trick....my hair curls up like a 4a when it's shorter, but when it's longer it's springier.

Seamonster

Your curls don't look like 4a to me lol they look more like 3c-ish... ahhh but here's the trick....my hair curls up like a 4a when it's shorter, but when it's longer it's springier.

Yep, that is how my hair is. My roots are 4c, the longer hair is 4b, and the ends are a combination of 3c or 4a, depending upon the length of the strand.

CurlsBazillion

I don't like hair typing either yet I still enter these threads :wallbash:
I can see where you would get 3c but when I was newbie someone told me other wise and I rolled with it lol. Whether I'm 3c or not it doesn't change how I handle my hair. I guess ppl in general want to know just to know because it doesn't really mean anything.

JulietWhiskey

Darkside of the moon
mech

You are so wrong for that siggy.

Cot.Dang.

I have nothing else to contribute to this thread but will be checking in to peek at mech's siggy!

empressri

I don't like hair typing either yet I still enter these threads :wallbash:
I can see where you would get 3c but when I was newbie someone told me other wise and I rolled with it lol. Whether I'm 3c or not it doesn't change how I handle my hair. I guess ppl in general want to know just to know because it doesn't really mean anything.

*sings the song a la The Rock* IT DOESN'T MATTER!!!!

You might have hair like me, it LOOKS like a cloud of type 4 only because it's so thick and dense and packed together but when you look at separate strands they're a loose loopy set of S-shaped curves. THAT'S 3c. 4a are like pen coils, my fiance has perfectly shaped 4a coils.

MrsJaiDiva

Embracing the Light

You might have hair like me, it LOOKS like a cloud of type 4 only because it's so thick and dense and packed together but when you look at separate strands they're a loose loopy set of S-shaped curves. THAT'S 3c. 4a are like pen coils, my fiance has perfectly shaped 4a coils.

Same here! It Looks thicker than it really is, and if I don't weigh it down with gel it looks like 4'ish hair....but it's just super frizzy 3 hair, that stands on end. Only in the nape area do I have those perfect pen coils...everything else is just Wild woman hair. :nono:

This chart doesn't include my loose 3a curls...that don't even really look like curls, but more like S waves. I like the CG chart a bit better, but nowhere really do I see hair that looks like mine...frizzy, and unruly. :nono:

prettybyrd

I have never understood hair typing, and this visual is helpful, but I wonder, where do big loopy curls fit in here? The 2B up there looks more wavy than curly. Is there supposed to be a 2A?

candy626

Yea that chart is off. 3a hair and below is usually silkier (not always but usually). The 3c looks accurate and 4a hair sometimes looks like that.

I have seen other charts that give a better depiction.

GreenEyedJen

I'm horrible with hairtypes and thus have never claimed one (see my siggy), but I'm confused as to why there's a 2b with no 2a. You don't have subcategories if there's only one type in the category to begin with.

empressri

Same here! It Looks thicker than it really is, and if I don't weigh it down with gel it looks like 4'ish hair....but it's just super frizzy 3 hair, that stands on end. Only in the nape area do I have those perfect pen coils...everything else is just Wild woman hair. :nono:

This chart doesn't include my loose 3a curls...that don't even really look like curls, but more like S waves. I like the CG chart a bit better, but nowhere really do I see hair that looks like mine...frizzy, and unruly. :nono:

OMG you're my hair twin. you described my hair perfectly!!!

sapphire18

I agree with that chart as a visual of the typing system. The hair not being on someones head or styled like I see in many other visuals makes it easier to determine one's hair type. The hair typing system when used correctly makes it easier to find other's with similar hair types to your own. Which is helpful when you're trying to create a regi for your own hair. My hair has recently (in the last 6 months) become a mixture of all of those hair types. My most prominent textures are 3b and 4c.

CurlsBazillion

empressri my hair (to me) isn't dense at all. It is fluffy and frizzy so I agree that it looks like a cloud of type 4. When I look at your hair I still think to myself my curls aren't that loose but they aren't coils either. So I'm definitely not claiming 4a anymore. So I guess I gotta rep 3c lol

Anakinsmomma

No. I would classify myself as a 4a/3c mix with more 4a. According to this I'm 3c. Is this real hair or synthetic?

MrsJaiDiva

Embracing the Light
OMG you're my hair twin. you described my hair perfectly!!!

I think my hair is a LOT more rude than yours...it just about refuses to play nice, and yours looks so much more cooperative. :perplexed: in the CG book, it's closer to East West curls, with a Ton of North curling action. A bit like I was struck by lightning.... :nono:

I keep looking for the product that's going to make my hair play nice, and curl real pretty...

niqu92

if 4a actually looked the way it does in the picture then i believe more people would be natural now
:takecover:

greenandchic

I agree the chart is not that accurate. According to them I would be 3a -3c, but in reality I'm 4a/3c. I stopped caring about this type of hair tying a long time ago because of the confusion.