Hair war (EXTREMELY LONG VENT)

foxybronx

I’m fighting a hair war right now. I am going to grow my hair ridiculously long for all those who doubt that black hair can grow.

Situation 1:
I was hanging out with one of my friends, and her Puerto Rican boyfriend.
My friend’s hair is neck length. Her boyfriend had shaved off all his hair a couple of months ago, and now his hair is very long (not the top, just the nape). They have been having this ongoing battle on whose hair is going to be longer. He says that in less than 4 months, his hair will be past hers. She says to him “Of course your hair is going to past mine, remember I am only HALF spanish”. Meaning because she is half-black her hair won’t grow as fast as his.

First of all, she isn’t Spanish at all. Her mother is 25% spanish IF THAT (The father was pure jamaican, and her mother was not even half dominican)…, And My friend’s father is 100% jamaican. So she is not even ¼ dominican. But she always claims to be half-dominican. Anywhoo..

I say, “It doesn’t matter if your half spanish or not, because every one’s hair generally grows ½” a month” They both shook their heads at me, like I was clueless and they both said I DONT BELIEVE THAT! I explained to him and HER that the reason why his hair is growing faster than her’s is because his hair is natural and that he doesn’t process it, perm, color, blowdry or do any other things that would break his hair off. All he does it wash it and get it braided. And she does damaging stuff to her hair. (This girl thinks that perm is a conditioning, so she perms her hair every 4 weeks from root to tips, blowdrys it every wash, and colors it often)

He says, Well I don’t take care of my hair either and my hair still grows faster. I said REGARDLESS your not damaging your hair with harsh chemicals” so your hair is not really breaking. He says “yeah it is breaking when I comb it I see hair in the comb” (I wanted to say its probably shedding from you wearing braids for a while ya dumb a$$) But I was keeping my cool. So after arguing back and forth (with her siding with him) I realized I wasn’t getting anywhere so I just said “NEVERMIND” and left it alone. He smirked like he won.

Side note: She spent the night at my house yesterday and wanted to wash her hair so I gave her a shampoo, conditioner and then I handed her a plastic cap for her to do a deep conditioning with, and she asks me “what is it for?”

She TELLS people all the time, her hair is not like “other” peoples hair. That she has that “Good” hair. But as long as I can remember her hair has been neck length for all the years I have known her for. Yet I’m 100% african american and my hair is the longest it has ever been (with the exception of childhood)
AND GET THIS she tries to tell me what to do with MY hair. That I wash it often, that I need to use the relaxed and natural line, YADDA YADDA.

Situation #2:
I have Puerto Rican neighbors who btw are like family to me, and all my life I had to fight with them because they swore black people’s hair does not grow. As soon as they saw that my hair was shooting off, and getting really long they said “Oh wow you have long hair for a black girl cause you know their hair can’t grow”.

One day she looked in the mirror while doing her hair, and she says boy am I so glad that I don’t have your type of hair that I need perms and stuff. (Meanwhile, this b&%$* had a perm back in the day because her hair was SUPER curly, thick and unmanageable)
Anyway..
I seen her last weekend, and I had my hair in a phoneytail. You know this itch had the nerve to say oh I see your wearing weaves now, I thought your hair grew!!!

SO my hair goal now is however long it can grow, and still be thick and healthy. SO if I that means waist length/butt length I am going to DO IT

Falon

Wow you know some ignorant people. Sometimes you can't tell people anything...you just have to show them. I wouldn't discuss it with them anymore. If they start commenting on how long your hair is getting "for a black girl" I would just say: Well what is that suppose to mean? And make them explain themselves...(people hate that) I know they will say "Well, black people can't grow hair...blah...blah...blah" And I would say: "Well my hair IS growing and I am 100% Black as far as I know, so you are obviously mis-informed and know nothing about black hair so why don't you keep your comments to yourself, unless you have a question and are willing to LISTEN to my answer."

Sorry had to rant.

LondonDiva

I agree with Falon and Ms Protugal:)

I know how you are feeling, I've been there with the ignorant folk myself. You can't tell them anything. They will just have to see when you reach your goal. And even then they'll still come out with ignorant comments.

Innocent_Kiss

You told him right foxybronx.
Black hair does grow. It's just that a lot of us use chemicals (relaxers, coloring, etc) and on top of the that excessive heat to keep that 'straight look'. In addition, as a whole, we really don't know how to take care of our hair. Let him talk, though. I know it's hard when you KNOW you're right but people just don't wanna listen. How can you blame him, though? That's all he sees. He doesn't have to be so ignorant and narrow minded, though. You said it best. If you want to, grow your hair out and show him it's possible.

dreemssold

This is sort of O/T, but I just saw your album, and your hair looks beautiful
. I'd say you've shown and proven already.

Carlie

[ QUOTE ]
foxybronx said:
SO my hair goal now is however long it can grow, and still be thick and healthy. SO if I that means waist length/butt length I am going to DO IT

[/ QUOTE ]

I am cheering you on with this goal! Some people are just tooo ignorant to try and explain anything to and just need to be put in their place.

When it comes to black women and growing hair, most are very biased in their views...and are just plain haters. My hair is not even that long (yet) and I have people tellin' me that I need to stop messin' w. my hair because it's "long enough." What is that supposed to mean!

Girl, you go 'head and grow!!!

laketta

I feel like I am going through the same thing to the point where I dont even discuss hair anymore with outsiders (meaning non LHCF folks) because it's like kicking a dead horse. My hair is growing and pretty healthy so that is the only thing I worry about now. Just let your hair speak for itself.

BTW: @ Foxybronx your hair is very pretty.

foxybronx

I'm glad my LHCF fam is with me on this one.
Thanks for the compliment dreemsold and laketta I appreciate it. I guess these haters are inspiring me to grow...
Thanks for the cheer Carlie, it was cute

NaturalRox

Foxybronx, like you said the best way to shut them up is to show them how healthy and long your hair can be. Most of these negative comments stem from ignorance but as InnocentKiss mentioned, they're also perpetuated by what they see everyday. The sad fact is that a lot of black women don't know how to care for their hair properly (me being one of them until recently!), so this is why others think that we have "bad" hair. I hate this stigma - let's all work hard for having healthy hair meanwhile proving these people wrong!

foxybronx

Falon,
Too bad you weren't there with me. You could have told them OFF

Your right though i am not discussing it anymore. It was a waste of breath b/c it went through one ear and out the other.

foxybronx

Thanks innocent. Your right

[ QUOTE ]
Innocent_Kiss said:
You told him right foxybronx.
Black hair does grow. It's just that a lot of us use chemicals (relaxers, coloring, etc) and on top of the that excessive heat to keep that 'straight look'. In addition, as a whole, we really don't know how to take care of our hair. Let him talk, though. I know it's hard when you KNOW you're right but people just don't wanna listen. How can you blame him, though? That's all he sees. He doesn't have to be so ignorant and narrow minded, though. You said it best. If you want to, grow your hair out and show him it's possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

abainaa

Youre all right, i8ts not even worth it trying to TELL people one thing when they see another on a continual basis. If we cn swell the ranks of healthy hair among black women we can do something about the misconception.
No one in my family has long hair, and up until now I have learned everything thu trial and error, so i understand why so many of us have damaed hair. But we can change it.

Healthb4Length

Go grow girl you can do it! Don't waste your time and energy on ignorant people. I know this girl who claims she doesn't have have like other black people and since her dad's half white that she got good hair. She said that I wouldn't understand because I am dark skinned (I digress) My hair has always been shoulder lenght to bra lenght with or without chems, she with her mixed hair has never grown longer than 3 inches. I used to get so angry but then I realized that I would just grow out my hair and prove them wrong and I did it before and I'll do again and again. Now I don't let the ignorant get to me, too much time and energy but good luck with your hair growth! Remember that success is the BEST revenge!

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
It's sad but true sometimes ignorance is bliss. When I think about all the things I did or didn't do because of bad information I'm stunned. When I try to help my god daughter's mom she gives me funny looks. I had to throw out her bottle of pink oil cause I refused to let her use that on my god daughter's hair. My friend had beautiful hair but listened to her stylist and got hightlights. Then she had to end up cutting her hair in a layered style because her hair broke off. If she asks me something about hair I help but otherwise I say nothing, except when it comes to my god daughter. I can't let her mess up the baby's hair!

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
[ QUOTE ]
This girl thinks that perm is a conditioning, so she perms her hair every 4 weeks from root to tips,

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh Lawd!

foxybronx

Yep! Sure is..
So when they try to tell me what I'm doing wrong, or what i need to do with my hair, I'm like

How do you handle it cbg?
[ QUOTE ]
cutebajangirl said:
I am in my own hair wars, so I totally get how you feel. Let me guess your hair is longer than all of those who are talking ish?

[/ QUOTE ]

alibi

hair bored
I know what you mean foxy! I dated this ignorant azzed guy in law school who told me that I had the kind of hair that just doesn't grow! (BTw, I was sporting a neck length bob, and keeping it cut that way!
) Anyways, I saw a pick of his ex, who he said had long hair, and it was to her shoulders, and all ATE UP!!! I was like WTF???
I gues he felt like some broke off, ate up length was better than short, healthy, bouncy length! You gotta just get that dirt off your shoulder girl!

ms_kenesha

Foxy,

Your hair is really beautiful and you have made so much progress. I wouldn't be surprised if these people are just haters and that even with their "super mixed genes" they still don't have hair half as beautiful as yours.

*I was being sarcastic about the super mixed genes in reference to the way her "friends" justify having or not having long hair...much love to my bi & multi racial sistahs!

daviine

[ QUOTE ]
Falon said:
Wow you know some ignorant people.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry but that sentence had me laughing.
Don't know why though. I tend to agree though.

daviine

daviine

[ QUOTE ]
Carlie said:
[ QUOTE ]
foxybronx said:

[/ QUOTE ]

I am cheering you on with this goal! Some people are just tooo ignorant to try and explain anything to and just need to be put in their place.

When it comes to black women and growing hair, most are very biased in their views...and are just plain haters. My hair is not even that long (yet) and I have people tellin' me that I need to stop messin' w. my hair because it's "long enough." What is that supposed to mean!

Girl, you go 'head and grow!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

What she said (because I love her cheerleaders!)

Foxy--you know I support you 100%! Now, why haven't you called me girlie!

foxybronx

I hear that!
[ QUOTE ]
cutebajangirl said:
Girl I flip all over the place and let the hair speak for itself.

[/ QUOTE ]

foxybronx

Hey Choclate,
My hair is a bit better. Its still TOO soft, but its a little less mushy. There is nothing i can do about the ends being thinner, but I'm going to keep up with the protein and the trimming. I will be okay. Thanks for asking. How's yours?