Haircare products owned by a black person>?

Would you buy from a BSS haircare products owned by a black person?

• Yes, I would buy.

Votes: 156 96.9%
  • No, I wouldn't buy.

Votes: 5 3.1%

• Total voters

Fine 4s

How do I know they stretch products? Ever bought something from a legit store and it was great, then turned around and got it at a BSS and it didn't work anymore? They have a back room in several BSS for a reason, because instead of buying more expensive products a lot of them have been caught just diluting them to stretch them. I have had a bad relaxer tub from one, conditioner that was stretched too--- you have to ask yourself why your favorite conditioner is suddenly a paler version of the color it usually is, or halfway full, or smells different, or just doesn't work sometimes. This is part of the reason why they tell you you cannot open the jars in the store (aside from not wanting you to put your fingers in it)! This doesn't happen to everyone, but it does happen, and Asians don't give a flying f^ck about us when they open these stores, so I doubt the ones who do this feel guilty.

Hey dont get it twisted, I dont keep giving any money to any BSS... I don't go to anymore after being treated bad as a matter of fact. The only ones I know of were owned by Asians. There is no point me wasting my time and money going to these places (black white brown or asian) to get had when I can get quality products at Walmart, HEB, or a Health Food Store where they have too much going on to try to exploit specific groups of people.

And I never said I would support a business just because it is black. If that were the case I would be walking into salons letting them tear my hair out just because theyre black. And if that were the case I wouldn't be obsessed with Garnier Fructis and CHI and all the other non-black owned products I use. However if the product is good and black owned, I would use it. (S-Curl, for example.)

I'm confused, is the first sentence in your last paragraph responding to something you thought I said? I believe I stated that I was answering the question in the main thread asked by the original poster. You are correct you never said such a think. Here's what I said "To answer the main question though, I wouldn't support a business purely because the owner is black."

In any event [changing topic] It is very refreshing to hear someone else not supporting a business just because a business owner is black.

aloof one

I'm confused, is the first sentence in your last paragraph responding to something you thought I said? I believe I stated that I was answering the question in the main thread asked by the original poster. You are correct you never said such a think. Here's what I said "To answer the main question though, I wouldn't support a business purely because the owner is black."

In any event [changing topic] It is very refreshing to hear someone else not supporting a business just because a business owner is black.

oh it waslnt really directed at you or anyone, I hope I didnt come off as rude somehow? I was saying it cause i dont think I said that in my first response. I only talked about that ellin lavar line and the asian BSS. sorry if i implied it was toward you or something

Fine 4s

oh it waslnt really directed at you or anyone, I hope I didnt come off as rude somehow? I was saying it cause i dont think I said that in my first response. I only talked about that ellin lavar line and the asian BSS. sorry if i implied it was toward you or something

That was CRAZY rude!!!

Nosa guuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurl!

Happy NY....I need a drink ASAP

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
I can't imagine what difference the race of the owner would make....my concern would be what's in the product, and whether it would work for my hair....and, of course, whether the ladies on this forum said it worked for them!!! :grin:

This is how I feel :yep:

AvaSpeaks

It's interesting how we are discussing if we would give our money to a Black owned BSS.

Yet so many of us was supporting the sister that created and sells the Boundless Tresses? I mean that was all the thing earlier this year. And the product works.

Yet now some of us are giving our money to the Indian stores or people for their products.

I just find that quite interesting :rolleyes:

TwistNMx

I never thought of race as being an issue. Only the quality and price....and there aren't any black owned salons in my area.

AsTheCurlzTurns

Good lord this post drove home alot of points for me. I did read awhile back about some BSS diluting stuffs and then selling it. And I've been careful on that level, but sometimes it's not so easy being that I've never purchased the product previously to know exactly it's consistency or smell and etc. But all the BSS I've been in are mostly Asian owned. But since I've read up about this previously, I tend to stick to Sally's for quality, and if I've purchased it before, then I would have a handle on what it's supposed to look, smell like and etc. Which brings me to the question, has Sally's ever had their hand caught in the cookie jar too? LOL Now alot of BSS do have other stuffs that can be used for the hair too and at good prices, like scarves, ponytail holders, you know the whole accessories she-bang and I can't stay away from them no matter what race owned the BSS!! But if they've duped me, you can bet your bottom dollar, I'd call them on it and they'd never get my money or patronage ever again, not even if they've got some fly chit in there.

JustKiya

No I would not pay extra just because the person is black. However I would give them first consideration. I want a good product at a competitive price. In other words I want value. And black owners should base their price margin on value rather than on “skin color" or "black hair" marketing. Customers are now more educated about haircare. Customers are reading labels for ingredients, are more aware of international products such as Indian haircare products and yes "we" the customer are even pulling out our rulers measuring our strands for results.

Precisely and exactly. My mother and I have had this conversation many a time about black businesses, and how they charge more and then try to pull the 'support black businesses' card to 'excuse' their price gouging. No. My money is green, and I work dammned hard for it, and I'm not going to LET you rip me off just cuz we happen to be the same color. Dizzam, that.

Now, if the product is WORTH the price - that's a whole DIFFERENT story - I don't BLINK at how much I drop on Oyin, because it ROCKS. There are some other black owned lines that are on that GOOD stuff, though when it comes to prices...... :nono:

As far as BSS's go - it's the same. Who has the best selection? Who has the best prices? Who has the most helpful staff? Who has the stuff I WANT? Black, White, Indian, Asian - it's the answers to those questions that dictate my spending habits....I'm not wealthy enough to do otherwise.

MizAvalon

I can't imagine what difference the race of the owner would make....my concern would be what's in the product, and whether it would work for my hair....and, of course, whether the ladies on this forum said it worked for them!!! :grin:

Agreed. I don't care who owns what. Does it work is my only concern.

Songbirdb

as long as the ingredients were str8 and i thought it would be beneficial, i would go for it. i always want to support black companies so this would be lovely. i believe design essentials are a black company... at least thats what my stylist says. and i love their products.

nappity

I like to feel Im supporting the balck community. I started using Carol's Daughter Products when Lisa Price was still selling it out of her apartment. I feel proud that my patronage has assisted her to attain great success.
I still love CD Healthy Hair Butter and I love all of her almond cookie products. (I do not buy from the website- I buy it from the store whenever I ,my SO or my daughter go to NYC about 4x a year for each of us. - I love the smell and it keeps me from being ashy in the winter-:grin: even here in Dallas- I get winter ash.:lachen:
Qhemet is also of color- Love her stuff
Oyin is also of color- Love it too
Anita Grant- though I hate her poo bar that everyone raves about. But shipping from England is very expensive- so If I can get something similar in the US of A then I do.
BBD is a man of color (he does glass and stretch)
Nasaab for Shea Butter and Black soap
and Im waiting for my order of My Honeychid to come in.
I hated Ellin Lavar's Product line so I wont repurchase, but my daughter likes Scalp Rx so she buys it.
I'll give sisters a try- but if I don't like the product- I wont keep repurchasing.I really do try to redistribute wealth in the African American community cause if nothing else we do have buying power. I tried to buy Cassia from heenasooq but Khadejah didnt have any. So I buy Cassia from mehandi.com
* I dont buy exclusively from people of color cause there is a broader market that can meet my needs.

JLove74

I've found that some the best hair products come from black people (or so I think). Qhemet, Jane Carter, Long Lovely Locks, Phytospecific, Ultra Black Hair, Miss Jessie's, Oyin, etc. So yes. I would spluge to help black folks out, because who knows our hair better than us.

Also, many white companies use black consultants for their ethnic products, so thats another reason to buy black.

FYI - Phytospecific isn't made by a black company. It's made by Phyto (a white owned company in France), with Phytospecific being the line geard toward black hair care.

As of lately, I've been purchasing products from Jane Carter, Oyin, and Qhemet and love what they do for my hair. But at the same time I use henna, indigo and other hair care products from Indian stores. So it's not so much "where they come from" but what works best for me. I'd love to be able to frequent black owned beauty supply stores, but there just aren't many around. Sad, but true. I haven't stepped foot in an Asian owned store in about 2 years.:nono:

JerriBlank

Sure i would give a black owned company preference...if it was worth it.I refuse to be scammed trying to look out for my own,if my own isn't looking out for me.I pay for shipping from england,because i like Anita Grant's products.
On the other hand,the asian lady told me on saturday that she knew it was me before she saw me cause she knows my voice:ohwell:
Obviously,i go in there too much.Then again,compared to other places i have lived,the selection in my area is limited,and i have to get it how i live sometimes.Shipping and handling is highway robbery sometimes.If there were places that i could go directly to(no internet shopping) that had nice prices and an extensive selection.i would be all over it,no doubt.

SouthernTease

Race is not an issue for me... is the product good.... that's the question. I think it's great to support black owned businesses, but I wouldn't just buy something to buy something because it's black owned.

Lucky's Mom

Well, I stopped going to Asian owned BSS's I cannot deal with the drama... and NOTHING that I use.... is there.

Black owned - I am all for it - if it meets my standards.

Let me re-phrase the question.
If you went to a BSS and saw a new product with good ingredients in it and it was black owned would you buy it even if it was a little bit more expensive than other similar products?

Most definitely! I was in Mobile last week and I purchased a shampoo and conditioner at a beauty supply store (Asian owned of course) made by a company in Atlanta GA and I am in love. :yep: :yep:

Here's their website: www.emensefamily.com

BostonMaria

I would! In a heart beat!
But of course if the ingredients were good by my standards and the product left my hair feeling/looking good. Most of the products I buy now are from black internet owned businesses and also Dominican products as well. If we don't help each other out nobody will!

ToyToy

I would buy. I really don't care about the ethnicity of the manufacturer, just that the product works for me.

darlingdiva

Let me re-phrase the question.
If you went to a BSS and saw a new product with good ingredients in it and it was black owned would you buy it even if it was a little bit more expensive than other similar products?

Yes. As another poster mentioned, my main concern is the ingredients & how it works for my hair. If both of those things are in order, then I'm good to go. I don't mind a hefty price tag if the product is quality.

darlingdiva

How do I know they stretch products? Ever bought something from a legit store and it was great, then turned around and got it at a BSS and it didn't work anymore? They have a back room in several BSS for a reason, because instead of buying more expensive products a lot of them have been caught just diluting them to stretch them. I have had a bad relaxer tub from one, conditioner that was stretched too--- you have to ask yourself why your favorite conditioner is suddenly a paler version of the color it usually is, or halfway full, or smells different, or just doesn't work sometimes. This is part of the reason why they tell you you cannot open the jars in the store (aside from not wanting you to put your fingers in it)! This doesn't happen to everyone, but it does happen, and Asians don't give a flying f^ck about us when they open these stores, so I doubt the ones who do this feel guilty.

Hey dont get it twisted, I dont keep giving any money to any BSS... I don't go to anymore after being treated bad as a matter of fact. The only ones I know of were owned by Asians. There is no point me wasting my time and money going to these places (black white brown or asian) to get had when I can get quality products at Walmart, HEB, or a Health Food Store where they have too much going on to try to exploit specific groups of people.

And I never said I would support a business just because it is black. If that were the case I would be walking into salons letting them tear my hair out just because theyre black. And if that were the case I wouldn't be obsessed with Garnier Fructis and CHI and all the other non-black owned products I use. However if the product is good and black owned, I would use it. (S-Curl, for example.)

Puh-leease! Forget that nonsense. I always open the jars before I leave the store. Those Asian BSS have a no-refund policy & I'm not going to pay for something that isn't legit when all I have to do is open it before I go to the register.

melodies815

Before I started taking good care of my hair, U trusted my beautician because I thought he knew more than I could ever learn about black hair. He had formulated a relaxer and it was a WONDERFUL relaxer; however he changed the formulation and dd not tell me that. It was the start of my hair falling out in clumps.

When I confronted him about it, he actually had the audacity to hang up on me. In short, I trusted this person (1) because he was black and (2) because I had known him for a long time...and I simply trusted him blindly.

So...my answer is what many other women have said.

I trust the INGREDIENTS!!! It's no longer the race, person, or relationships we have. It's got to be about what I am putting into my hair because that's the bottom line. After all, I am not "wearing" my hairdresser. lol

I learned the hard way...

cj