Have you had success with the Crown & Glory Method?

Have you had success using crown and glory method?

• Yes, my hair thrived!

Votes: 209 90.1%
  • No, my hair didn't like it.

Votes: 23 9.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MissFallon

I just got braids in last night and plan on keeping them in for 5 weeks. Has anyone had really good results with the C&G method, especially with cornrow extensions in? Also, how did u prevent your edges from getting thin?

C

chica_canella

MissFallon said:
I just got braids in last night and plan on keeping them in for 5 weeks. Has anyone had really good results with the C&G method, especially with cornrow extensions in? Also, how did u prevent your edges from getting thin?

I have had great success. I will tell you later though.

Ms Lala

I wore individual braids to transition to natural hair. I kept them medium sized and didn't have any problems. I also found that my hair responded better to human hair than fake hair. The fake hair was rough on my hair for some reason. I typically kept them in for 2 mos. up to 3 mos. I would redo the first 2 rows of braids as needed.

HoneyDew

My hair love braids.

I do them smaller than pencil sized though because I can remove them w/o too much trama to my hair.

What I do is clip them as much as can up to the length of my hair. Then I drench the braids in CON ultra moisturizing and just let them rinse out. They just start slipping out and there are no tangles.

C

chica_canella

Ok, I've been doing the C-G since May and my hair loves it. My natural hair texture has came out more and I now at least know my hair texture so when I get relaxers I have no excuse to say, "It's nappy."

If you follow her instructions your hair should grow perfectly.;) :D

bluediamond0829

I used it in the in the past when i had braids in...i guess considering the fact that my hair had alot of damage so i wouldnt be able to really answer the poll....so i couldnt really tell if my hair thrived from it or what....i may try it again when i get braids again...but a good person to contact is Den1....she has had alot of success from doing the Crown and Glory Method...

sistagrl2004

I have been following her guidelines since July ( I am in kinky twists) I kept them in for 3 1/2 months last time ( TRIFLIN, I know) but washed them weekly per her method. I didn't really get any breakage and it grew alot. I have had twists in for about a month again, but using MN.. No lie I feel like I've got the same growth as I did after 3 1/2 months!

Proudpiscean

I have always worn braids on & off (didn't know anything about C&G or LHCF back then) and my hair thrived even though I didn't take care of it properly. So I figure if I do the C&G method now with all the knowlegde I have gained from LHCF, I will retain the length. The hairline thins only when the braids are put in too tightly, so speak up if someone is braiding your hair too tight! ;)

jtsupanova

I just started doing crown and glory but like others i have worn braids in the past and got tons of growth and retention

C

chica_canella

MissFallon said:
How often did u use the braid spray and the infusium? Did anyone make their own braid spray?

I would say atleast once a week was good for me. I do deep conditioning over my masks also.:)

tsiporah

MissFallon said:

I am doing a version of the CG.

However, I do not use any extra hair.
I use my own hair in twists. I do not use braid spray. But I kill two birds with one stone and mix VEGETABLE GLYCERINE ( I do the veg type because some products may use pork as glycerine.) with a good LIQUID LEAVE-IN. Not only do you get conditioning, you get moisture. This can also be used as a braid spray. No more African Royal or such for me, they often stink and too sweet smelling. I make my own. :lol:

It works, my hair is around mid-back. I re-do my hair every week, for henna treatments.

MissFallon

So do u think having the extensions is better or is it better just to braid your own hair up? I have extensions but last week I had my regular hair braided.

I'm using African Pride Braid Spray, the one with peppermint oil and tea tree oil. Is this ok? I heard it should be w/o oil but I read that someone else uses this one and liked it.

supasmilez

I've been doing Crown and Glory. It's been espically beneficial because it helps me strech without looking CRAZY!! Luckly, I have a lot of cousins and family friends who are willing to braid my hair for free (but I still give them some money or a gift), so I usually get mine's redone every 4-5 weeks.

I do regular box braids, usually with the ends loose. And I wash them weekly. In the past I've used different types of hair to change the look (plus, each person braids a different way). You can also do cornrows or goddess braids for a few weeks, to switch up the style, but don't leave them for too long.

Anyhow, during the winter, it's nice to do braids because it proects your hair from the coldness (I'm from Maryland :)), plus when my hair is out I get bored and play with it or it randomly gets caught aganist my clothes or headrest of a car....and braids help stop these random, preventable breakage.

Hope this helps!!!

loonatick

supasmilez said:
You can also do cornrows or goddess braids for a few weeks, to switch up the style, but don't leave them for too long.

What are these? i am very interested...:scratchch

Bosslady1

I will be mixing up my styles. I will start with some cornrows braided in a neat bun. I will post pics on Saturday. :)

remnant

MissFallon said:

I'm natural and have good results with C&G method I usually braid my hair myself so I have no problem with my edges (i don't braid my edges)

newflowers

So far it has been successful for me - two months as i began mid-December.

I wash and condition frequently - twice a week, moisturize daily. I think the key to not losing your edges is to make sure your hair is not braided too tightly.

I've been doing the CnG method since Janurary and I ended up having to take my braids out and rebraid because I got crazy growth all over my head. I went out and bought the Infusium 23, but I ended up making my own leave because me and my roommate went through that bottle in less than a week! Same thing with the braid spray. I ended up mixing Vatika and Amla oil in a small bottle and I spray my hair in the morning at night I put a mix of WGO and Amla on my hair with my homemade Leave In Conditioner, then i put my scarf on. My hair (well my new growth) is so soft and shiny. I'm trying to hold out on a perm until July. I'm taking a much overdue family picture that month and so I'm kinda doing a whole head to toe challenge. I know one thing is for sure as long as I stick to my Vitamins and Hair regime I'm going to have a lot of hair in this picture.:grin:

amwcah

I began the C&G Method in January. I have box braids now, but I started with cornrows. They only lasted for two weeks with all my new growth. I was using MTG.

sareca

I already posted, but decided to add a visual aid.

Last edited:

JuicesN'Berries

I think everyone has their own versions of the Crown and Glory Method. I can say I have been wearing braids on in off as well as taking vitamins on and off....But it does work. I think its more of a mental thing than anything else. Its like you keep braids in for 2 months...you take them out and BOOM! you have and inch of growth or at least more than you had before. I don't believe that it is actually making my hair grow faster, however it does allow you to retain your growth...and it helps to keep your mind off of your hair. I just recently got some braids and so far so good. I have had them in for three weeks and I have been able to wash them do a ACV rinse and moisturize them with castor oil. There are pictures in my fotki of January 2005 of me with braids all the way up until now. I can honestly say that wearing braids has signicantly influenced where my hair is at today!