Have you had success with the Crown & Glory Method?

Have you had success using crown and glory method?

• Yes, my hair thrived!

Votes: 209 90.1%
  • No, my hair didn't like it.

Votes: 23 9.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BklynHeart

:bump::bump:

:bump::bump:

I'd like to know the answer to this too. I'm going to braid my ddz hair next week (cornrows in the front, individuals in the back) and I want to be able to wash them w/o making them looking sloppy.:perplexed

For cornrows I usually put an old pair of stockings with the legs cut off and a knot at the top on my head, then wash. I would pour diluted shampoo on it, then kind of press the shampoo in with my fingers. With one finger I would run it through the parts to make sure my scalp was getting a little circulation.

tocktick

yes. i kept my hair in braids for 3 months (washing every 7-8 days). i re-did braids if they slipped out. i also got rid of the matting in the same way instructed on the website. there were certain things i didn't follow though that i should have (conditioning regularly, using a leave-in hair strengthener). despite that, i achieved good growth, thickness & my hair didn't break or suffer.

my hairline grew back really well with this. i think it was because my stylist didn't put the braids right on my edges nor were the braids very small or too tight. now that my hairline has grown back, i think she'll try to out them there next time. if she does then i'll be re-doing that area every 10-14 days to avoid matting and breakage.

my hair retains length best in protective styles so i'm planning to C&G again later this month and for the next 6 months.

Last edited:
I did. When I actually followed her regimen I have great growth and no problems. When I didnt follow her regimen I still got good results. :yep: Long term protective styling, how much better can it get. Ive also noticed that when people do micro braids and leave the ends loose their hair breaks (they arent protecting the ends) also some people dont rinse/wash the extension hair first and end up having scalp/hair problems. I think thats another important step people skip. Also too tight braids can cause more damage than growth.

discobiscuits

I love C&G I've shared it with every one I know! Seriously. I don't do everything she suggests, like I don't shampoo the way she teaches but when summer is in full effect I will be rocking individuals like the C&G or cornrows like I do now.

Riverwalk

I did. When I actually followed her regimen I have great growth and no problems. When I didnt follow her regimen I still got good results. :yep: Long term protective styling, how much better can it get. Ive also noticed that when people do micro braids and leave the ends loose their hair breaks (they arent protecting the ends) also some people dont rinse/wash the extension hair first and end up having scalp/hair problems. I think thats another important step people skip. Also too tight braids can cause more damage than growth.

Can you explain the bolded statement a little more (or, anyone for that matter)? I am just curious. Thanks.

iaec06

I just got braids in last night and plan on keeping them in for 5 weeks. Has anyone had really good results with the C&G method, especially with cornrow extensions in? Also, how did u prevent your edges from getting thin?

hey Miss F I love cornrows and I grow alot of hair with them . I have thin ends but I think it is more from heredity (mom and sister are thin and they do not wear braids at all.) and relaxers . I use the MN to keep them in .
here is a pic

Riverwalk

What BIAU is sayins that for a protective style to work, it has to protect your actual hair. If you have your ends (which are the most fragile part) showing, it leaves them exposed to air and that dries the ends out which that doesn't protect the hair at all. It's best to get the hair braided until to the very end of your own hair to keep it from being exposed. I am natural (4B) and have micro braids, braided all the way to the end to protect my hair.

I love Ms Robins technique and it works very well:yep:

Thanks for this response.

I am wondering though for the people that are APL or beyond, do you all still use this technique? The reason I ask is because if you get the human hair, it seems as though you have to get it really long, and, it is really expensive (or the beauty supply store just doesn't have it at such a long length) Do you all just deal with the expense? Or, do you all just use the kanekolon hair?

ebonylocs

Thanks for this response.

I am wondering though for the people that are APL or beyond, do you all still use this technique? The reason I ask is because if you get the human hair, it seems as though you have to get it really long, and, it is really expensive (or the beauty supply store just doesn't have it at such a long length) Do you all just deal with the expense? Or, do you all just use the kanekolon hair?

I'm BSL. I've never used human hair for my braids. I use kanekalon hair, and before I put it in, I soak it overnight in hot water with a bit of vinegar like Robin recommends. The last time, I didn't do this, and I had scalp problems (like an earlier poster said) - lots of dandruff and itching even though I was washing at the same frequency as usual. I also found that my real hair underneath seemed to mat more.

SO I think what's not important is the ph of the extension hair, not whether it's fake/ human.

Aggie

I'm BSL. I've never used human hair for my braids. I use kanekalon hair, and before I put it in, I soak it overnight in hot water with a bit of vinegar like Robin recommends. The last time, I didn't do this, and I had scalp problems (like an earlier poster said) - lots of dandruff and itching even though I was washing at the same frequency as usual. I also found that my real hair underneath seemed to mat more.

SO I think what's not important is the ph of the extension hair, not whether it's fake/ human.
ITA with ebonylocs. I also use only kanekalon hair and my braid stylist adds a little spanish wavy indian remy hair at the ends to make them look as natural as possible. I use the vinegar and hot water as well on them before putting them in my hair and I do notice that I don't have any of the itchiness as a result of doing this first. I can't wait for when it's time to remove them. I like them a lot so far and I reall believe that I will be doing this again possibly until the end of this year.

mscocoface

I have had great success with this type of protective styling. I do the kinky twists though now instead of the braids. I do NOT do any type of braids on twists around the front of my hair because that is where it is the weakest. I will do flat twists or cornrow in the front and then add hair for length.:yep:

You can see some of those styles in my fotki.

Aggie

I have had great success with this type of protective styling. I do the kinky twists though now instead of the braids. I do NOT do any type of braids on twists around the front of my hair because that is where it is the weakest. I will do flat twists or cornrow in the front and then add hair for length.:yep:

You can see some of those styles in my fotki.

mscocoface, is there a particular reason why you don't use the braids anymore? Please share. I'm planning on doing the bolded as well for my next braid up for the same reasons you indicated here.

Nanyanika

i'm still have great success with this method, rthe only diffrence is i don't wear braids extensions anymore makes my ends dry, so i cornrow instead, which keeps my ends more protected and moisturised.

Aggie

i'm still have great success with this method, rthe only diffrence is i don't wear braids extensions anymore makes my ends dry, so i cornrow instead, which keeps my ends more protected and moisturised.
den1 do you cornrow your hair using extensions or not and are you wearing your hair natural or relaxed? How do you moisturize your ends once braided up/cornrowed?

Lioness

This is the case with me also. I use the c&G method, and will continue to do so until I reach my MBL goal. Actually it's such a proven method of keeping the hair healhy that I will probably use it up until WL.

I do cornrow braids under a weave every two months. My ends are "safe" this way. I alternate bewteen spraying the braids with Braid spray, and oiling my scalp with sulphur mix.

For me, it's the easiset way to retain length. Robin is a blessing for sharing this method. :Rose:

Nanyanika

den1 do you cornrow your hair using extensions or not and are you wearing your hair natural or relaxed? How do you moisturize your ends once braided up/cornrowed?

Hello, i'm wearing my hair relaxed,my hair is cornrowed into a cicle around my head so my ends aren't exposed. I use lillte piece of extension, to prevent my cornrows from unravelling when i wash them. i cover my headwith a baggy and a wig. moisturising is easy, I use my growth mix in a spray and heavily saturated my head. if my hair feels quite dry, i use my sheanourish creme on my newgrowth.

i have pics in my album

Attachments

• Picture040-vi.jpg
    Picture040-vi.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 34
  • Picture041-vi.jpg
    Picture041-vi.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 34
  • Picture043-vi.jpg
    Picture043-vi.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

Nanyanika

Robin is a star,i used this exact method to get my natural hair waistlength, and i've decided not to keep my hair shorter anymore so i can have waistlength relaxed hair.

This is the case with me also. I use the c&G method, and will continue to do so until I reach my MBL goal. Actually it's such a proven method of keeping the hair healhy that I will probably use it up until WL.

I do cornrow braids under a weave every two months. My ends are "safe" this way. I alternate bewteen spraying the braids with Braid spray, and oiling my scalp with sulphur mix.

For me, it's the easiset way to retain length. Robin is a blessing for sharing this method. :Rose:

Energist

Well I never did the braids, but I do use her combing method and from time to time hair washing method and it's done my hair justice.

Aggie

Hello, i'm wearing my hair relaxed,my hair is cornrowed into a cicle around my head so my ends aren't exposed. I use lillte piece of extension, to prevent my cornrows from unravelling when i wash them. i cover my headwith a baggy and a wig. moisturising is easy, I use my growth mix in a spray and heavily saturated my head. if my hair feels quite dry, i use my sheanourish creme on my newgrowth.

i have pics in my album
Wow this is wonderful den1. Thanks a million. You just inspired me to mix up my looks a bit with this. I think I will do this next instead of re-doing the braids.

pringe

I'm reading these posts about people not wanting to keep their hair in braids where they can't see it. I must be the only one who absolutely loves the idea of never having to brush or style my hair, and never seeing those tiny broken hairs in the sink. Waking up late with no problems, and finally getting some of those bottles out of my shower! Maybe now the drain in there will stay unclogged for more than a week at a time! :grin:

Hello Soliel, that's me too. I've been doing a modified C & G routine since August 22. i must say, my hair has GROWN so much it amazes me. Here's my routine
1) shampoo every other week with a shampoo of my choice
2) condition with shampoo of my choice (coconut conditioner, hair mayonaise, sometimes i do a protein treatment for 1 minute)
3) wash out hair, spray infusium 23 on hair
4) spray Better Braid Spray on myscalp and hair
5) followup with pure coconut oil, which i love!

This has been working for me. I took my braids out in the end of December and rebraided. i was amazed by the length then. I'm going to take these out in 2 weeks and i'll post pictures in my fotki then. HTH

Nanyanika

Wow this is wonderful den1. Thanks a million. You just inspired me to mix up my looks a bit with this. I think I will do this next instead of re-doing the braids.

your welcome!! your hair is beautiful, you made great progress i was looking at your album today, i hope you don't mind lol.

Aggie

your welcome!! your hair is beautiful, you made great progress i was looking at your album today, i hope you don't mind lol.

Oh heck no I don't mind at all. I just added you as a friend both here on lhcf and in my fotki, lol. I was stalking your fotki too and I am very impressed with your progress as well.

Nanyanika

Oh heck no I don't mind at all. I just added you as a friend both here on lhcf and in my fotki, lol. I was stalking your fotki too and I am very impressed with your progress as well.

Thank-you, i'd like to keep track of your progress too, so i'm adding you as a friend

Lioness

Robin is a star,i used this exact method to get my natural hair waistlength, and i've decided not to keep my hair shorter anymore so i can have waistlength relaxed hair.

I can't wait to see u @ WL girl!! I rememebr a few years ago when you had WL natural hair..it was so pretty :yep: The C&G method is the best and fastest way to retain length IMO.

memee1978

I can't wait to see u @ WL girl!! I rememebr a few years ago when you had WL natural hair..it was so pretty :yep: The C&G method is the best and fastest way to retain length IMO.
den 1 inspired me as well.shes very sweet and kind and loving.she has great advise and her methods truly work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

LaNecia

Thanks for all of the wonderful information shared here ladies!

I didn't vote because I haven't worn braids since 2004 and that was before I found LHCF and Robin's site. I finished an install today of kinky twists (hope not to have so much bulk next time) but am organizing my regimen around the C&G method. So many ladies here have had success that it can't be wrong. I plan on redoing my hairline every two weeks or so and redoing the rest every two months, depending on growth.

I'll come back an vote in October!

VWV

RedVelvet310

I've done the C&G method with cornrows... i kept it in for about 4weeks... even though they said it'd be matted my hair wasn't because I put moisturizer on it pretty much every day and i never suffered build up.. i'll probably do it again once school starts and i don;t have time on my hands to cw all the time... my hair took off too =)