Protective Styles for Natural Hair........Ideas?

foxxymami

My hair is longer and it's beginning to tangle more, etc. Normally I wear in a wash and go but this isn't working anymore, as my hair has gotten longer. What are some daily wear protective styles as well as some bedtime protective styles?

nakialovesshoes

I definitely would like some input as far as daytime styles go. For nightime, I do 8 flat twists to the back (I also call them 2 strand cornrows). It makes a nice twist out in the morning - which of course doesn't solve your daytime protective style dilemma. Anyhoo, HTH.

foxxymami

Thanks for responding Nakia. Yeah, I think I can pretty much work with any and all protective styles for bedtime. The main thing I'm noticing is that my edges are trying to go all MIA and I can't have that so I need to figure out some ways I can style my hair that would give my edges a rest for a couple of months. I think I been pulling it too much and didn't realize it until recently.

natstar

You can try doing to braids at night and then putting your hair in a bun inthe a.m. There are also twists that you can do and braid/bun up

foxxymami

You can try doing to braids at night and then putting your hair in a bun inthe a.m. There are also twists that you can do and braid/bun up

Thanks Nat :)
What kind of bun? You mean like a frizzy bun? I'm trying to visualize how I'd get my hair into a bun and the only way I could see getting it like that is to pull it back (so it won't be laying down frizzy). Or is there a different method to achieving the bun? Does that make any sense? :spinning:

natstar

I twist my hair around and use a flamingo clip (one of those long clips) to secure. You can always use one of those ouchless bands, twist the hair around and secure the ends witha bobby pin

foxxymami

Okay so it would be sort of like a loose bun thingy? ...so instead of putting it into a ponytail first to put into a bun, I just twirl it around until its in a ball (or bun) shape? Hmm.....I think I could use that!!! Okay that's one style on my list!

Keep 'em coming ladies :grin:

MissJ

I've started wearing a makeshift bun and am not planning on washing and going ever again. :nono:

DeepBluSea

Box braids and twists. Have you checked out TurnerGirl's fotki? She makes them look so cute. She has big beautiful hair.

foxxymami

Box braids and twists. Have you checked out TurnerGirl's fotki? She makes them look so cute. She has big beautiful hair.

Thanks DeepBlu, where's her fotki?

I think if I do twists, I will have to do them minus extensions/synthetic hair. My edges need to get stronger before I go back to kinky twists

foxxymami

Here are some fotkis to stalk, I mean look thru. I hope they don't mind. They are all have open fotkis and beautiful hair:grin: They all have pics of box braids and two strand twists without extensions. They do cute things with them like updos. Great inspiration to keep with the protective styling.

http://members.fotki.com/Kemi21/

http://public.fotki.com/Sera252/

http://members.fotki.com/Turnergirl/

Thanaks DBS! :kiss:

I need to start saving friends in my fotki.

I need to visit the few fotki friends I DO have more often :drunk:

foxxymami

I wear a lot of wigs. Also, I wear buns a lot.

When you wear the wigs, do you do anything special to your hairline and/or edges to make sure it doesn't get pulled too tightly?

I have this really really cute wig I just bought and it's adorable.....though I'm afraid to wear it for more than 1 day. Do you have a fotki with wigs 'styles'?

glamazon386

When you wear the wigs, do you do anything special to your hairline and/or edges to make sure it doesn't get pulled too tightly?

I have this really really cute wig I just bought and it's adorable.....though I'm afraid to wear it for more than 1 day. Do you have a fotki with wigs 'styles'?

I just make sure the comb isn't pulling at my hair. I've never really had a problem with my edges coming out though. No matter what style I wear. I usually wear half wigs with a headband across the front. I'm wearing a long straight one today with a scarf headband. I also have a few full wigs. That's usually what I wear when I go out. Let me see if I can find some pictures...

ETA: This was right after I bced. I'm wearing one in this picture... I just make sure my edges are gelled down and then put it on. Also, I put mines on top of my hair instead of leaving some of my hair out in the front. It's just easier that way and then I don't have to worry about little pieces of my hair sticking up or blending in the front. You can see my hair around the edges in front of the headband. So I guess my edges aren't really under the wig then?

Last edited:

Cheleigh

I'm style challenged. I either do two-strand twists or bun it. I don't need to use the bun form unless I'm going a super neat bun. Other wise I just use a scrunci.

Moisturizing and sealing with waxes and butters do a lot for my hair ends and for minimizing tangles.

foxxymami

I just make sure the comb isn't pulling at my hair. I've never really had a problem with my edges coming out though. No matter what style I wear. I usually wear half wigs with a headband across the front. I'm wearing a long straight one today with a scarf headband. I also have a few full wigs. That's usually what I wear when I go out. Let me see if I can find some pictures...

ETA: This was right after I bced. I'm wearing one in this picture... I just make sure my edges are gelled down and then put it on. Also, I put mines on top of my hair instead of leaving some of my hair out in the front. It's just easier that way and then I don't have to worry about little pieces of my hair sticking up or blending in the front. You can see my hair around the edges in front of the headband. So I guess my edges aren't really under the wig then?

Yeah I'm seeing what you mean. Hmmm....good idea :yep:

glamazon386

Yeah I'm seeing what you mean. Hmmm....good idea :yep:

Yeah, I remember I bumped into JenniferMD at the club that night. She was testing out a fall as well and she had no idea I was wearing one. We had a laugh about it after the fact. :lol: Most people just assume it's a weave or something.