Heat Training - The Only Natural Relaxer

tami73

Controversial words from Brittanynic16, I think she's a member of LHFC as well.

Check out her video on the subject http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEMRX8KkWCQ

I remember seeing her fotki when she first went natural and started doing the bkt's and I think this was before they began offering formaldehyde free versions. Her hair has come leaps and bounds since then and looking at her hair in the video, her hair is certainly healthy and gawgus! :yep:

If you take a look at the heat trained hair air dried video, her hair basically looks like texlaxed hair . . .

What do you think about her method of keeping her hair straight? Is it better than relaxing or texlaxing?

Last edited:

Minty

I really like Brittany's videos but I haven't kept up.

OP: What do I think about what exactly?

I watched the video and saw absolutely nothing wrong with her def. of heat training.

Her hair is beautiful btw. beautiful.

tami73

I just meant what do you think about her method of keeping her hair straight? I've edited the post to make it clearer. Personally I would say that it definitely seems better than relaxing/texlaxing. Maybe its to do with the type of bonds being broken in heat training as compared to chemical straightening? It seems you are left with 'straight' but thick hair as compared to sometimes thin relaxed hair . . .

Renewed1

I don't see a problem with heat training your hair, I'm in the process of doing it now. I think you have to listen to your hair and work harder with keeping your hair healthy. I was like hours from tex-laxing my hair, when I came upon an old post about heat training. I made the decision right them and there.

Minty

I've heard of heat training, but I am not experienced enough to understand how its done without breakage. I am a stan of Taraji Henson's hair and she is heat trained too.

I really like Brittany's vid, and she in her other video about her regimen makes alot of sense as to why she does not DC.

It is DEF. working for her!

In the end, I am happy that she is speaking from a long term history of working with her hair, and that is what has shaped her hair decisions.

In the end, I am for healthy hair - I don't care what they use to achieve it; but if she can help someone transition from relaxed to natural or help someone stay natural because the two-strand twists aren't doing it for them......bless her.

tami73

I've heard of heat training, but I am not experienced enough to understand how its done without breakage. I am a stan of Taraji Henson's hair and she is heat trained too.

I really like Brittany's vid, and she in her other video about her regimen makes alot of sense as to why she does not DC.

It is DEF. working for her!

In the end, I am happy that she is speaking from a long term history of working with her hair, and that is what has shaped her hair decisions.

In the end, I am for healthy hair - I don't care what they use to achieve it; but if she can help someone transition from relaxed to natural or help someone stay natural because the two-strand twists aren't doing it for them......bless her.

Yep, I agree that she is speaking from experience. If I am not wrong I think when she was relaxed she reached BSL but something about relaxed hair didn't seem to work for her so she decided to transition. If you are heat training, can you please share your regimen how you heat train etc?

ms.blue

Longhairdontcare2011 hair is heat trained & she has some lovely hair. Brittanynic16 doesn't look like she's suffering either so maybe heat training is not so bad. I have some heat damage hair that is not breaking but I hate it b/c the rest of my hair is curly. Other than that there is no problem.

hopeful

I am waiting to see a video of how her hair looks freshly washed and of her exact process of heat training. I have already decided this go round to blow dry my natural hair more often and more consistently. It makes for much quicker twisting & styling so far. I'm trying to keep a kinky texture, just not as tight.

ETA: Brittany is pretty and her hair looks great!

Minty

No I wish I knew how. It seems the more heat I use, the more breakage I get. I'm going to be a student of Brittany's for a while LOL

But that is still no guarantee that "my" hair can handle it, (just wanted to be clear). Or maybe there is something about her technique? I'm not sure.

I know this way will def. cut down on ssk. - maybe less is more! :blush:

Minty

I am waiting to see a video of how her hair looks freshly washed and of her exact process of heat training. I have already decided this go round to blow dry my natural hair more often and more consistently. It makes for much quicker twisting & styling so far. I'm trying to keep a kinky texture, just not as tight.

ETA: Brittany is pretty and her hair looks great!

Looks like the only one up close to that is the one she has with her hair mostly dry in pony tails :perplexed. Doesn't help those of us who are curious.

She did say she was going to do more, so I hope she will do a start to finish. She was pretty good at doing those for her Keratin vids.

hopeful

I had heat damage before with the flat iron, never with the blow dryer on low. I also use Redken Extreme Anti-Snap before blow-drying which seems to strengthen and protect my hair. I would be afraid to use a flat-iron very often and I know I would get damage with a pressing comb.

hopeful

Looks like the only one up close to that is the one she has with her hair mostly dry in pony tails :perplexed. Doesn't help those of us who are curious.

She did say she was going to do more, so I hope she will do a start to finish. She was pretty good at doing those for her Keratin vids.

I will be looking out for her future videos. Yes, a start to finish video would be great:yep:.

tami73

Longhairdontcare2011 hair is heat trained & she has some lovely hair. Brittanynic16 doesn't look like she's suffering either so maybe heat training is not so bad. I have some heat damage hair that is not breaking but I hate it b/c the rest of my hair is curly. Other than that there is no problem.

I've seen longhairdontcar2011's video of her wet natural hair and its wavy and lovely. I think she uses a blow dryer to heat train so maybe the heat tool you choose will decide your texture afterwards? However, when both her and Brittanynic16 air dry in large twists and it basically looks like the hair has been lightly blow dried! I can see heat training being a good option for natural hair because as it gets longer it becomes more difficult to manage because of knots and single strand knots etc.

Some naturals can cope with both long and thick hair (Mwedzi has long and thick 4 type hair) and manages to cope but I don't know if I could.:perplexed

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

I've seen longhairdontcar2011's video of her wet natural hair and its wavy and lovely. I think she uses a blow dryer to heat train so maybe the heat tool you choose will decide your texture afterwards? However, when both her and Brittanynic16 air dry in large twists and it basically looks like the hair has been lightly blow dried! I can see heat training being a good option for natural hair because as it gets longer it becomes more difficult to manage because of knots and single strand knots etc.

Some naturals can cope with both long and thick hair (Mwedzi has long and thick 4 type hair) and manages to cope but I don't know if I could.:perplexed

your are rite! i think longhair2011 uses a blower and then flat irons each wash day (monthly) i am certainly her #1 stalker....her hair is sickening

sad... I just realized how much of a stalker ...b/c i remember her flat iron is chipped in the corner... so she puts very small sections in as to not snag any hair

Last edited:

tami73

your are rite! i think longhair2011 uses a blower and then flat irons each wash day (monthly) i am certainly her #1 stalker....her hair is sickening

sad... I just realized how much of a stalker ...b/c i remember her flat iron is chipped in the corner... so she puts very small sections in as to not snag any hair

I remember this too! lol

Can you wear a wash and go if your hair is heat trained or are you stuck on straight styles?

BostonMaria

Her hair is very thick and pretty. I personally would rather keep my natural texture and straighten my hair in a healthy way to avoid damage, but whatever she's doing seems to work for her.

brownbean96

The bolded is not true for everyone - at least it's not for me. My natural hair's length has nothing to do with it being manageable or having knots. It does however depend on how I'm taking care of my hair. The longer my natural hair gets, the easier it is to maintain, IMO. General statements like this always scare me.

Having said that, to each his/her own. I personally wouldn't want to heat train my hair (I love my curls to much). I think most of us have read that constantly using heat whether relaxed or natural on one's hair can be damaging. But again whatever floats one boats.

tami73

Heat training is in essence straightening your hair on a regular basis right? Longhairdontcare2011 only uses heat once a month and her hair is trained. So if you straighten say every 3 months, 6 months or yearly, are you still heat training but on a slower schedule??

tami73

The bolded is not true for everyone - at least it's not for me. My natural hair's length has nothing to do with it being manageable or having knots. It does however depend on how I'm taking care of my hair. The longer my natural hair gets, the easier it is to maintain, IMO. General statements like this always scare me.

Having said that, to each his/her own. I personally wouldn't want to heat train my hair (I love my curls to much). I think most of us have read that constantly using heat whether relaxed or natural on one's hair can be damaging. But again whatever floats one boats.

Sorry didn't mean to generalize, I was talking more of myself:blush:
My hair is close to arm pit length and although I don't have extreme issues yet, in my last 2 detangling sessions I got knots that I wasn't able to loosen with my comb and in the end I had to cut them off. Since it's the first time I have had knots I'm just worried that it will get worse as time goes on and I will lose my progress to scissors :wallbash:

brownbean96

NP OP. My hair is about the same length. Are you doing anything different? For instance, I usually where my hair like my siggy pic and I've realized that while the style CAN last for over a week that if I keep it more than that I get serious knots! So I avoid any style (other than having it straight) for more than a week. Another example, some people get SSK from frequent wash and go's for me it's the opposite, my hair stays knot free if I'm doing wash and go's because I'm constantly co-washing my hair/the curls stay loose and don't have time to knot.

dynamic1

Heat training is in essence straightening your hair on a regular basis right? Longhairdontcare2011 only uses heat once a month and her hair is trained. So if you straighten say every 3 months, 6 months or yearly, are you still heat training but on a slower schedule??

Longhairdontcare2011 keeps her hair stretched for long periods between straightening sessions. She does not use heat to change the pattern of her hair. Much of her success is due to low manipulation and keeping her hair tangle free. I wouldn't use her as an example of "heat training" in the way it is commonly used on LHCF.

Last edited:

brittanynic16

Thank you guys for checking out my video. I will be making a detailed video on heat training today. It turns out that the process can be a lot more detailed than I imagined and I want to give out the best imformation. So hopefully I can get it done and up by tonight or tomorrow. I'll also make another video on how I heat train my hair next week. Thanks for watching and all the kind words.

LaFemmeNaturelle

Longhairdontcare2011 keeps her hair stretched for long periods between straightening sessions. She does not use heat to change the pattern of her hair. Much of her success is due to low manipulation and keeping her hair tangle free. I wouldn't use her as an example of "heat training" in the way it is commonly used on LHCF.

Um...didn't she state herself that she heat trains? Her texture is not the same texture as it grows out of her head. She has an entire video dedicated to it. The heat she uses (once a month) has altered her texture...isn't that the same definition used on LHCF? You can even look at her progress pics and tell there is a diff in texture.

vainღ♥♡jane

ღ♥♡honey chile♡♥ღ
nothing to say on the subject, but i love brittanynic hair. i have been following her hair journey on fotki for a while. her progress is amazing and her hair is so thick and pretty. ♥

ms.blue

This actually goes along w/ having relaxers b/c the protein bonds are permanently broken but the hair can still be healthy by preventing "more damage" w/ increase protein & moisture treatments.

Last edited: