Heat Training - The Only Natural Relaxer

MrsIQ

I'm starting this process on my 11 yr old DD this weekend. She loves being natural but hates the knots and detangling that follows.

tami73

I'm thinking about doing this now...not because I hate my texture.... I am just tired of the shrinkage, tangles, matting, splits, and breakage.

I know what you mean. I was discovering single strand knots then a few weeks later they would dissapear then it hit me that my hair was breaking at the site of the knot! :wallbash: Some knots are even an inch up the hair strand!

If this procedure gets at least the ends of my hair a bit looser so that they don't curl up and knot so much, I will be a happy bunny.

Tiye

Controversial words from Brittanynic16, I think she's a member of LHFC as well.

Check out her video on the subject http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEMRX8KkWCQ

I remember seeing her fotki when she first went natural and started doing the bkt's and I think this was before they began offering formaldehyde free versions. Her hair has come leaps and bounds since then and looking at her hair in the video, her hair is certainly healthy and gawgus! :yep:

If you take a look at the heat trained hair air dried video, her hair basically looks like texlaxed hair . . .

What do you think about her method of keeping her hair straight? Is it better than relaxing or texlaxing?

I don't see the controversy. In fact I don't see the point in using the word. Not everyone wants to wear their hair 100% untampered with. If you truly believed in this dogma then you'd have organic dreadlocks that you'd wash and leave be and not hang around hair boards continually scoping for tips on the ultimate conditioner. This whole internet hair milieu would be of no interest to you. And you wouldn't be caught up in trying to get your hair to grow coz you already know if you let it lock and leave it alone forever ... it's gonna grow and in 20 years you'll have hair to your feet or beyond guaranteed. My point obviously most of us modify our hair in some way or another continually and this has been going on since our earliest ancestors took sticks and started playing around with their hair. Some people need a little help managing their hair and there's not a thing wrong with this. Some people's hair responds to chemical relaxers well and they can texlax without negative effects. But if you're the kind of person who doesn't have good luck with relaxers then heat training is another option that might work for you. It's not a big deal.

tami73

^^ Controversial because not everyone will agree with the statement. The mixed responses on the thread proves just that.

Last edited:

yodie

Can we please keep this thread open. I'm trying to learn here, lol!

How would you go about heat training hair that has never been heat trained? Do you still start with the new growth and train just the new growth? If so, how do you heat train the rest of the length of your hair?

Britanynic16, great videos. You demonstrate healthy hair practices in the videos. Helps alot

Britanynic16
Thanks so much for the helpful information. I have been considering becoming a strait hair natural because I would like smoother hair and the knots and tangles are driving me crazy! I love my texture but it's just difficult and time consuming to maintain with out having a head full of KNOTS! I want long hair really bad and my hair is growing but I'm always concerned about how much I may be loosing to knots and tangles. The knowlege you provided is priceless!
I've decided to blow dry my hair more often as a milder form of heat training. I'm going to monitor my curls to make sure I'm not loosing my curl too much.. But, I think your videos will help me with may hair alot!
Thank you!

brittanynic16

Can we please keep this thread open. I'm trying to learn here, lol!

How would you go about heat training hair that has never been heat trained? Do you still start with the new growth and train just the new growth? If so, how do you heat train the rest of the length of your hair?

Britanynic16, great videos. You demonstrate healthy hair practices in the videos. Helps alot

You would train the whole head. You may want to apply more or higher heat to the roots. Thanks for watching.

brittanynic16

Britanynic16
Thanks so much for the helpful information. I have been considering becoming a strait hair natural because I would like smoother hair and the knots and tangles are driving me crazy! I love my texture but it's just difficult and time consuming to maintain with out having a head full of KNOTS! I want long hair really bad and my hair is growing but I'm always concerned about how much I may be loosing to knots and tangles. The knowlege you provided is priceless!
I've decided to blow dry my hair more often as a milder form of heat training. I'm going to monitor my curls to make sure I'm not loosing my curl too much.. But, I think your videos will help me with may hair alot!
Thank you!

Well I hope it all works out for you. Heat training has done a world of good for my hair and I hope a lot more ladies can benefit from the technique.

brittanynic16

If anyone would like more information about Heat Training please subscribe to my channel. I plan on posting new videos once a week or so.

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
Tami73, thanks so much for starting this thread. I subbed to brittanynic's channel, she's got beautifully thick hair :yep: I'm giving heat training using her technique, serious consideration.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I know what you mean. I was discovering single strand knots then a few weeks later they would dissapear then it hit me that my hair was breaking at the site of the knot! :wallbash: Some knots are even an inch up the hair strand!

If this procedure gets at least the ends of my hair a bit looser so that they don't curl up and knot so much, I will be a happy bunny.
Yeah. I've been on the jheri juice challenge for a couple months now and have noticed so many single strand knots that make my ends feel rough. Also, my roots would matt/tangle in some areas where I have not detangled. Yes, I would moisturize these areas too and "finger-smooth" my hair out as I moisturized. I would primarily wear my hair in a bun.

My goal with the moisture/no heat challenge was to retain more length in order to wear my natural hair long and straight anyway, so I might as well try stretching my hair out with heat. Heat keeps my strands separated from each other without matting. I just have to find a way to avoid damaging my ends from heat usage, but I believe I have figured it out. I just gotta be extra gentle with my hair when blowdrying it out, or find time to rollerset it instead of blowdrying.

Last edited:

Majestye

Ok, now some more options to think about! Geez. I was all set to give up on my natural hair journey and texlax this week, until I saw this thread! I've been trying to transition without heat and realized I need some heat in my life...to keep my hair manageable.

I want, need the best of both worlds.. a few curlies in the summer when wet, but the ability to reduce detangling time and wear it straight. sigh!

Ok.. so here's a question... If I'm wearing my PS weaves - the majority of the time, how effective will my heat training be, every 2 months???

ajargon02

Her hair is very thick and pretty. I personally would rather keep my natural texture and straighten my hair in a healthy way to avoid damage, but whatever she's doing seems to work for her.

That's my thoughts. I haven't straightened in over 6 years. When I think of "heat training" I think damaged hair that will need to be cut off before it starts breaking off. I guess I am just trying to understand the benefits, since it seems as if all one is doing is damaging their hair and then it's only a matter of time before any gained length breaks off or is lost with trimming/cutting:nono:.....Please help me understand, why is "heat training" so popular?

dany06

I was going to mention this after i've had a chance to watch the dvd but I guess I will mention it now. I purchased the "silk" dvd from silkstarr.com The lady angel talks about how she does a hair technique/process called the silk that basically trains the hair with heat. I like that she and others who do this process find it as an easy way to transition people to being natural. She uses beveled and flat marcel iron. It get the hair nice and silky looking.

i know marcel iron have a bad rep, but hairstylist have used marcel beveled iron on even my relaxed hair in the past when it was near waiste length. Never had a problem. So i assume with guaging the right temperature and handling it properly I should mess up my relaxed ends along with my new growth

here are some video on the technique
http://www.youtube.com/user/gigispaowner#p/u/9/fdxCmX40fPA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2-_lgS5vGU

In both instances the people still have relaxed ends but are growing their hair out. Eventually I guess they will cut off the relaxed ends when they get to a decent length but they never really deal with untrained natural hair. I think that is great. I want to go about it the same exact way. Im certain that my texlaxed bkted ends have been heat damaged. They dont even act like they are going to turn back into curls while my new growth is all fluffy and such. My ends aren't breaking but they are stuck in a state of perpetual straightness . So i dont think heat damage is damage that literally breaks your hair off. It straightens it without the breakage. It may have less elasticity but functions pretty much the same and has more shine.

Tiye

Ok, now some more options to think about! Geez. I was all set to give up on my natural hair journey and texlax this week, until I saw this thread! I've been trying to transition without heat and realized I need some heat in my life...to keep my hair manageable.

I want, need the best of both worlds.. a few curlies in the summer when wet, but the ability to reduce detangling time and wear it straight. sigh!

Ok.. so here's a question... If I'm wearing my PS weaves - the majority of the time, how effective will my heat training be, every 2 months???

I think it will probably work. It will just take longer.

That's my thoughts. I haven't straightened in over 6 years. When I think of "heat training" I think damaged hair that will need to be cut off before it starts breaking off. I guess I am just trying to understand the benefits, since it seems as if all one is doing is damaging their hair and then it's only a matter of time before any gained length breaks off or is lost with trimming/cutting:nono:.....Please help me understand, why is "heat training" so popular?

This is not about pressing your hair until it goes to silky straight for a particular style. That will probably result in damage. This is about using heat to gradually loosen the bonds in your hair for the purposes of manageability. Check out longhairdontcare's channel on youtube. She does a good job of explaining this and also she has the hair to back up her point.

newbeginnings2010

I just finished watching her heat training videos and although I've finally decided to stick with my natural texture, I think that her method looks good. She's applying concentrated heat to ONLY the new growth, just like a relaxer. Personally, I would probably go with a bun for the rest of the week after one of the "heat treatments," the same way I did when I was relaxed, and then do air dry rollersetting to cut down on the heat use, but like she says, she only recommends her techniques for herself. Her hair is really strong to hold up under those conditions, but it looks really thick and pretty.:yep:

ChristmasCarol

I just finished watching her heat training videos and although I've finally decided to stick with my natural texture, I think that her method looks good. She's applying concentrated heat to ONLY the new growth, just like a relaxer. Personally, I would probably go with a bun for the rest of the week after one of the "heat treatments," the same way I did when I was relaxed, and then do air dry rollersetting to cut down on the heat use, but like she says, she only recommends her techniques for herself. Her hair is really strong to hold up under those conditions, but it looks really thick and pretty.:yep:

I think this is key.

You have to know your own hair (or your daughter's, mom's) or the results could be disastrous. If you flatironed your hair in the past 4 or 5 times a week and still had long hair that looked OK, then you would likely be able to heat train. If you see breakage everytime you flatiron, even though it's only every 2 weeks, then STAY AWAY FROM HEAT TRAINING! If you're not sure, flatiron your hair normally a few times and see if there's any damage.

Every technique is not for every head. But to say that everyone who heat trains is gonna go bald or that heat training can be done successfully by everyone are both erroneous ways of thinking, IMO.

Last edited:

Renewed1

I've been heat training my hair for about 3 weeks now. I will deep condition with all my oils, etc and use a heat protectant. Sometimes I will let my hair air-dry and flat iron or blowdry.

My curls around the perimeter of my hair is loosen up. But the crown, is being a little resistant so I may have to use a higher heat setting.

I usually use the blow-dry on a med/low setting and my maxi is about 425 degrees.

brittanynic16

Heat training isn't popular which is why I have put out the videos. I am hoping to make it more popular. I just want to show people that they don't need a chemical to achieve the look they want from their hair.

If you feel like heat training = damage than I would encourage you to let the results speak for themselves.

1. My siggie
2.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0_1X2F8k3M&videos=Ptvyig3ECqY
3.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkHTJj0UPKw&videos=u8N1_zZi9oU

Heat Training is NOT heat damage. If anyone wants more infomation please feel free to contact me or check out my channel.

brittanynic16

I've been heat training my hair for about 3 weeks now. I will deep condition with all my oils, etc and use a heat protectant. Sometimes I will let my hair air-dry and flat iron or blowdry.

My curls around the perimeter of my hair is loosen up. But the crown, is being a little resistant so I may have to use a higher heat setting.

I usually use the blow-dry on a med/low setting and my maxi is about 425 degrees.

Good Luck! Just make sure to do small sections and stop training any parts that you are happy with the texture change. :grin:

Wanderland

Just finished session one of heat training. Former bkter with no ill effects it's just time consuming and I'm lazy. Last treatment probably 8 months ago. I've been wearing wng since then.

I mostly followed Brittanys instructions (thanks girlie) but used softliss mask instead of MB because I don't have it. Today my hair is extra swangin and blinding likely because if the cones. I have yet to wash to see how much straighten.

Last edited:

Sherae

I'm thinking about transitioning and agree with Brittany that this can be used as an alternative to a relaxer for those that want to wear hair straight.

When I was natural for years before, I used heat weekly and my hair was a healthy APL - I just wanted to try something different and relaxed :ohwell:.

Thanks for the great tips and videos Brittany. I subbed to your channel, your hair is gorgeous.

Guitarhero

I know that people can get flat ironed and marcel'd without damage and their hair reverts back perfectly when shampooed. What I see with heat training is hair that is irreversibly damaged in varying degrees that will not allow the hair to revert back to its natural state. I'd be concerned with dryness and breakage in the long run. Besides, there are product lines out there that allow for bone-straight thermal press without damage and full reversion when washed out.

Her hair appears to be healthy but I'd like a stylist's opinion first who could actually look at the hair from a neutral perspective. She's not breaking the same bonds she would with chemical relaxing but I think the hair is damaged.

I've seen the keratin process and I know good ones and bad ones...and her hair in-between, getting ready for a new one was looking very reddish and rough. Maybe that is why she no longer desired the BKT. It works better on 2-3abc hair than 4abc unless it's been treated with chemicals.

If one desires to so-call heat train, I hope they deep condition and reconstruct regularly. I guess this type of damage is better than the chemical one.

s4pphir3

Her hair is very thick and pretty. I personally would rather keep my natural texture and straighten my hair in a healthy way to avoid damage, but whatever she's doing seems to work for her.

ITA I love my curls the way they are so I wouldn't use heat the way she does. But I still love her hair.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I do this with my relaxed hair all the time. If I go natural, it would be like the same thing.:lachen: All I know is that I am very intrigued about this method. I got a new curling iron that works a million times better than my flat irons.:grin: I will be considering this method if I go natural.

PracticallyMe

High Powered Lurker
I'm going to try this method on my 11 y.o. daughter's hair. I have straigtened her hair less than a handful of times her whole life. Other than that she wears twists or braids. But I made the mistake of putting a kiddie perm on her hair about 2 yrs ago to loosen the texture and because her hair is super thick (4a/b). Even though I left the kiddie perm on for maybe 5-7 minutes it just did a job on her hair. It really dried it out, so I ended up cutting her ends off little by little. It's about shoulder length now, but her hair grows very slowly.

Anyway, now since she is in the sixth grade she is really tired of the braids and twists, so she is begging me to straighten her hair. The few times I have straigtened her hair, it has gotten puffy the next day, which is troubling because it takes so long to do.

I think I will commit to doing this method. I think I will be able to manage her hair much better (especially since she is very tenderheaded), and I think she will be able to retain more length because I am often trimming her hair because she gets a lot of those tangly knots on the ends.

Thanks for this info. It is really helpful.