Help - Does blow drying natural hair break it off?

laurend

I decide to get box braids and wearing them for 4 to 6 weeks at a time because I'm stuck at barely MBL length and I want to full MBL and beyond. I found a fabulous AA braid-er who does twists and box braids. She told me to have my hair washed, detangled and sectioned off and she will blow dry it when I get to her shop. However, I'm afraid she's going to rip my hair out. When I broke my wrist in the late winter, I had a setback going to professional AA natural stylists. I want to blow dry my own hair but I have a question. Does blow drying rip out your hair? How do you get a comb through it if you do the Pinkskates method of tension blow drying? If you do the traditional blow drying like on the video below, won't that rip out your hair? I need help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KU_-ZcFBMss

sweetlaughter

I am natural and for the past three months have been on low heat. BUT before that, I used to blowdry my hair weekly. (My hair is between SL and APL btw) For blowdrying, I use 6 sections, a leave in conditioner and heat protectant, and a blowdryer with a wide tooth comb attachment. Since I detangle in the shower, I don't lose much hair at all with the dryer.

I have tried the Pinkskates tension method but my 4a hair ends up looking a HAM from it. Her method seems like it might be good for me when I use a flat iron afterwards but I only flat iron for special occasions.

laurend

I am natural and for the past three months have been on low heat. BUT before that, I used to blowdry my hair weekly. (My hair is between SL and APL btw) For blowdrying, I use 6 sections, a leave in conditioner and heat protectant, and a blowdryer with a wide tooth comb attachment. Since I detangle in the shower, I don't lose much hair at all with the dryer.

I have tried the Pinkskates tension method but my 4a hair ends up looking a HAM from it. Her method seems like it might be good for me when I use a flat iron afterwards but I only flat iron for special occasions.

Where do you get a wide tooth comb attachment? Does it come with the dryer?

kblc06

For me, blow drying dries the crap out of my hair which subsequently causes breakage :nono:. I'd rather stretch my hair via banding or do a rollerset. It should also be noted that my technique is very poor, so that may have a lot to do with it. Sorry I couldn't be of more help :ohwell:

sweetlaughter

Sallys or any BSS will have comb attachments. You can also buy blowdryers with the comb attachment included. I have both the kinds of blowdryers (one that looks like a giant hair brush and the std shape I guess). The only reason I stopped blowdrying weekly was because I suffer from Hand-in-hair syndrome and wanted to PS to break the habit. Also, the humidity in New England this summer is a lot higher than usual. I plan to blowdry weekly again though this Fall.

One thing I forgot to mention since kblc06 brought it up, to make sure my hair does not dry out too much with blowdrying, I put coconut oil on my hair after I have finished each section. It gives a good sheen and keeps my hair from drying out too much. But I only use the oil AFTER the heat.

lilsparkle825

As long as my hair is well moisturized, blow drying it does not break it off.

Maybe you can just rollerset it without doing anything to the roots before you go, and ask her if she can refrain from blow drying your hair since it's already stretched.

laurend

Thanks for your advice ladies. My Hubby says "don't let that stylist blow dry your hair'. He saw the aftermath of the two times I went to the shop.