helppppp...bone comb rubber comb *confused*

tada1

I have been seeing a lot of people mention that the type of comb used is important but i haven't found any thread that compares the different kinds of combs :(

Ladies that use hard rubber combs please do share. Are rubber combs the same as seamless combs? are they better than bone combs? I found a website that says that rubber combs infuse moisture...is this true? or is it a marketing sham?

If you use bone combs feel free to share too...do you think they are better than hard rubber combs?

I am trying to decide between a hard rubber one and a bone one and i still havent been able to figure out which is better. :rolleyes:

and o, i reeeeeeeealy need to know if rubber combs are the same as seamless combs...thanks ladies...you're all amazing!!! :yep:

shadylane21

Good question! I have a Jibree shower comb from sallys and a host of other plastic combs but I would really like to know what a bone comb is.

tada1

come on now, ladies...i know somebody out there can answer this :wallbash:
lol...i really like these smileys

blazingthru

I only use bone combs. I notice that my hair doesn't tear anymore and I have less pulling when I glide the comb through my hair and no breakage, no static. I prefer this comb over any other. Althought I have never used a rubber comb and cannot acutally tell you how this would impact the strands of your hair. You should probably give them both a try and see which one you prefer. As long as its seamless it should not be a problem. Bone combs are expensive, but a good investment. I been using the same comb for two years now with no problems but of course I have since ordered several more. they cost between 8-12 each. Good luck on your decision. They last a long time.

PatTodd

Last edited:

tada1

thanks for replying! I guess my fear with the bone combs is that they look so sharp :perplexed...don't they scrape your scalp if they are made of bones?

I think i saw a comb that looked just like the Magic Star Jumbo Rake comb on amazon for 13.90....i might try both and see :rolleyes:

LiLi

I used to use a regular orange hard rubber wide tooth comb I got from the BSS use this comb - the Magic Star Jumbo Rake comb:
View attachment 7021

http://www.zooscape.com/cgi-bin/maitred/RedSafari/questp401051/jornada32605400

I really like it. It is seamless and along with my $20 Denman D31, really helps with detangling. It is probably the best comb I've ever owned, but I have only found it at Zooscape and it cost me about $30 with shipping.

Oh SNAP!!! That comb will complete my collection. I have several Mason Pearson combs but they don't sell one like this. I like the fact that it is truly seamless. I'm buying a couple. Thank you for posting this!!

Leslie_C

Oh SNAP!!! That comb will complete my collection. I have several Mason Pearson combs but they don't sell one like this. I like the fact that it is truly seamless. I'm buying a couple. Thank you for posting this!!

Isnt it funny how us hair folks collect things like conditioners and combs? lol:lachen:

Anyhoo, really its a personal preference, u just have to find a comb that doesnt snag your hair. A nice wide tooth one for detangling and another for regular combing or setting. If they have seams I read you can file them down with a nail file. I was actually really ticked off that I broke one of my bone combs. Also, in the regular BSS they you will see those packs of combs that say bone combs...they are REAL bone combs though, they are just the color of them.

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
thanks for replying! I guess my fear with the bone combs is that they look so sharp :perplexed...don't they scrape your scalp if they are made of bones?

I think i saw a comb that looked just like the Magic Star Jumbo Rake comb on amazon for 13.90....i might try both and see :rolleyes:

:lachen:Bone combs are not made of bones (centuries ago they were, but not in modern times). They are made of resin or specifically a man-made resin called bakelite.
I have 3 different models of bone combs. Only one has sharper teeth but they don't hurt. It actually feels GREAT combing my hair with it. It does not scratch my scalp.

tada1

Anyhoo, really its a personal preference, u just have to find a comb that doesnt snag your hair. A nice wide tooth one for detangling and another for regular combing or setting. If they have seams I read you can file them down with a nail file. I was actually really ticked off that I broke one of my bone combs. Also, in the regular BSS they you will see those packs of combs that say bone combs...they are REAL bone combs though, they are just the color of them.

ohhh nice idea!!! just file the seams away:thankyou:

tada1

:lachen:Bone combs are not made of bones (centuries ago they were, but not in modern times). They are made of resin or specifically a man-made resin called bakelite.
I have 3 different models of bone combs. Only one has sharper teeth but they don't hurt. It actually feels GREAT combing my hair with it. It does not scratch my scalp.

phew!!! That makes me feel so much better :happydance:

now that i think about it, that was so naive of me :lachen: Thanks january noir :urock: and your hair is really pretty by the way

Tee

I use bone comb for regular combing and my shower comb is plastic. (jilbre) I love bone combs! They are seamless and does not rip or break my hair.

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
phew!!! That makes me feel so much better :happydance:

now that i think about it, that was so naive of me :lachen: Thanks january noir :urock: and your hair is really pretty by the way

Thank you Tada! You made my day. :kiss: Now go on and get you a bone comb!
This is the Detangler model. I have 2!

Chromia

I used to use a regular orange hard rubber wide tooth comb I got from the BSS use this comb - the Magic Star Jumbo Rake comb:
View attachment 7021

http://www.zooscape.com/cgi-bin/maitred/RedSafari/questp401051/jornada32605400

I really like it. It is seamless and along with my $20 Denman D31, really helps with detangling. It is probably the best comb I've ever owned, but I have only found it at Zooscape and it cost me about $30 with shipping.
That's the comb I use! I also ordered mine from zooscape. I couldn't find it anywhere else. I found a BSS that carried that brand, but they didn't have the Magic Star. I ran it against my the back of my hand and pressed hard - and my hands are very dry - and it didn't scratch. It left no marks.

A few years ago I ordered this comb from hairsense - it was so sharp. I never used it. When I ran this against my hand it left ashy white lines. :ohwell:

Attachments

• comb.jpg
    comb.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

tada1

Thank you Tada! You made my day. :kiss: Now go on and get you a bone comb!

:blush3: im so excited...i just ordered my very first non-plastic comb :yay: lol

That's the comb I use! I also ordered mine from zooscape. I couldn't find it anywhere else. I found a BSS that carried that brand, but they didn't have the Magic Star. I ran it against my the back of my hand and pressed hard - and my hands are very dry - and it didn't scratch. It left no marks.

A few years ago I ordered this comb from hairsense - it was so sharp. I never used it. When I ran this against my hand it left ashy white lines. :ohwell:

That's a great idea! I read on a different site that you can do a "silk stocking test" or something like that but there were no details. This is so much easier to do :headspin:

I have both. A plastic shower comb and several bone combs. I like them all depending on whether my hair is wet or dry.

Here is the link to the website with bone combs: http://hairsense.com/bonecombs.htm.

oooh i think thats the site that said something about rubber combs infusing moisture just in case anyone is interested in learning more :)