Hey Bunners - Breakage??

Whimsy

So i'm jumping on the bunning bandwagon and just curious.... I know for most the long term effect is crazy amounts of length retention (YAY!) but I'm just curious if anyone experienced breakage at the bun points... OR other negatives from long term bunning.

(sorry, this isn't meant to be a downer, I just want to be fully informed so I know how to get best results from this.)

Thanks girls!! :)

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
Yeah, it happens. Most will advise changing up the style and/or changing the position of the bun but it's so easy just to do the same bun daily. I've had breakage from the bun (and not wet bun either, wet bun breakage is worse) but fortunately mine wasn't in any extremely noticeable place. I would mostly get it behind my ears and some in the nape area.

ETA: I'm trying to figure out a good balance between wearing my hair down and up.

blazingthru

I had severe breakage from wearing buns for a long time. I no longer wear them but I don't have the length I had. I have to get use to how short my hair is again. I roll it up with bobbie pins and take them out and then put the back of my hair back up with bobbie pins. I feel that I will achieve less breakage this way. but i am so sad about the lost of my hair and the fact that I spent a lot of money getting satin scrunchies that still broke my hair off.

ScarletPhoenix

I believe that for people that have bunned for a while the key is finding balance. You have to keep your ends moisturized and tuck them away. Also don't pull hard on your hair to have it lay flat (my biggest problem) Also I am going to only bun when I am out. The rest of the time I will have my two braids in and go from there. I experience breakage when I pull too tight and leave in for too long. I don't do phoney ponies because the extra weight pulls my hair, especially my front hair line. I am dealing with some breakage there right now. It will probably always be a work in progress until you find your nitch but definitely keep working towards it!

shmmr

My hair cannot stand the stress of bunning. Its possible I pull too tight, but I've found that my hair just does better if I limit the bunning (maybe 2x a month). I can do curly updos without the stress. So if you're doing buns, just don't pull too tight and watch like a hawk to make sure that you're hair isn't suffering from them. If it isn't, then go for it :)

Eisani

Whimsy, your hair is long enough to do different types of buns w/o ponytail holders which = stress. I usually do buns w/combs, clips, chopsticks, etc and don't have to worry about stress points related to using hair ties. I also take my hair down when I get home to give it a rest and put it in a loose braid at night before going to bed. HTH!!

ETA: Good Hair Days hair pins are a great cheap investment as well :yep:!! They're big thick plastic hair pins so they don't pull and snag your hair the way metal ones can.

Whimsy

Whimsy, your hair is long enough to do different types of buns w/o ponytail holders which = stress. I usually do buns w/combs, clips, chopsticks, etc and don't have to worry about stress points related to using hair ties. I also take my hair down when I get home to give it a rest and put it in a loose braid at night before going to bed. HTH!!

ETA: Good Hair Days hair pins are a great cheap investment as well :yep:!! They're big thick plastic hair pins so they don't pull and snag your hair the way metal ones can.

Guess who's awesome.
You! Thanks Eisani.

I'm going to try different styles without ponytail holders and invest in the good hair days pins... are they available anywhere?!

ellebelle88

Guess who's awesome.
You! Thanks Eisani.

I'm going to try different styles without ponytail holders and invest in the good hair days pins... are they available anywhere?!

Yeah, I just got some from Sally's on Monday but I also saw them in Wal-Mart. Man, they are awesome, I can't believe I'm just now trying them.

pureebony

I do a doughnut bun with a sock that a pour essential oil over- just to stop it from taking moisture out of my hair lol

So I don't us any pins etc just some snag free hair bands 2 in fact HTH

Eisani

You're welcome! Just play and experiment w/different styles with clips and sticks and stuff. You'd be surprised :grin:I always find lil fun stuff in Claire's.

Yea, like the other poster said I get my GHD pins from Sally on the cheap. They come in clear, black and tortoise.

swtgalnj

Every night I put a bun in my hair and 80% of the time when I'm out my hair is in a bun. I experience no breaking; just minimal shedding, which is most likely related to stretching my relaxer. I also do not use any scrunchies or hair ties. I only use bobby pins and I try my best to alternate the direction I twist my bun.

mariofmagdal

No matter how I secure my bun, letting it down daily releases the stress. I twist my hair into a bun, so I switch directions every couple of days. I also make loose buns, I don't always pull my hair back into a tightly held bun. I always bun and it is the reason I retained length over the years, I just got better at taking care of my hair since joining this board.

Whimsy

Okay...
so loosely tie
take down when @ home / sleeping
alternate bun twisty direction
don't use scrunchees or elastics
experiment with styles

Anything else?
Gotta love you girls, gotta love ya!

Carrie A

Okay...
so loosely tie
experiment with styles

Anything else?
Gotta love you girls, gotta love ya!

Check.....and just remember not to brush the hairline back too much. Make sure your bobby pins are covered. No jagged pieces.

And please no baby hair. :lachen:

Nice Lady

You can experience breakage but the best thing that I have learned with bunning is damp bunning-I use moisturizer mixed with water or aloe vera spritz and then put on a scrunchie. To eliminate damage from scrunchie I add a leave conditioner in the scrunchie itself so it will not absorb the moisture out of my hair. Also, don't pull the scrunchie tight or you will experience breakage unnecessarily. But otherwise after doing it 14+weeks, I had a trim in my prior relaxer and in this relaxer there was no need for a trim by my scissor happy stylist.

Starr1

No breakage from bunning, but I bun differently everyday (braided, twisted, tucked, looped, etc.) and don't pull too tightly.

Good hair days pins are wonderful!

CheLala13

I'm transitioning but buns are messing up my edges. I do not try to pull, but obviously that is what's happening. I'm sad about it actually...I still have great retentiion, but I need to find a better way.

Whimsy

Okay...
so
loosely tie
experiment with styles
low brushing
damp / moisturize
and most importantly, no baby hair.

anything else? :)

GoldenBreeze

I'd say make loose buns, and pin them up with hair pins, good day pins, or amish hairpins. That usually keeps the stress off and prevents breakage. I bun almost every day, and don't experience breakage. I have a very loose definition of bun. If I braid my hair in one braid and fold the braid, and then put a slide through it to hold it up that's also a bun to me.

Last edited:

ScarletPhoenix

I love this thread because I am thinking about doing bunning for a year just to get the length and I love lo-manipulation. Okay so I have become sort of hair lazy, but my hair does best when I do less....however I have curly hair that I can't bun without using elastic, its simply doesn't look neat and nice. I don't want to straighten my hair either just to bun it. So I usually use elastic and just do it loose and bun that way. I am not experiencing problems because I take my bun down and do 2 braids when I get in. I guess this will have to work until my hair is long enough to just twist into a bun. Right now it twist and goes around fully once but with it being curly its really thick. I could always invest in those pins you guys are talking about.....:grin: shopping!

RosesBlack

I had some breakage at first mainly because I used too much tension, the wrong kind of elastics for my hair and wasn't careful to move my bun around my head.

Now instead of regular elastics I use these big terry cloth ones that stay without feeling too tight. And I make sure I don't keep my bun in the same spot for more than a couple of days. I also noticed for my hair I can't do the low/no manipulation bunning. My hair gets tangled and matted.

Also I sleep with the length of my hair wrapped in plastic (my sorta baggying) low on my head instead of where I wear my daytime bun and that has cut down on a bunch of breakage.

I am pretty simple with my bun, I broke off a lot of hair trying to be fancy and do things that are way beyond my skill level, since I stopped doing that I've been retaining way more length too.

HTH.

MrsBKJ

I had breakage problems with bunning because I wanted my bun secure enough for it not to fall out so I would use a scrunchie on it.
I have since stopped except if Im going to have my hair uncovered (I'm a Hijabi!!).
What I do now is to get a square of silk, fold diagonally so you get a triangle and place my bun in the middle and tie the scarf around it...my hair has thanked me for it and it doesnt run against my ends or others bits of my hair.

HTH

RosesBlack

I had breakage problems with bunning because I wanted my bun secure enough for it not to fall out so I would use a scrunchie on it.
I have since stopped except if Im going to have my hair uncovered (I'm a Hijabi!!).
What I do now is to get a square of silk, fold diagonally so you get a triangle and place my bun in the middle and tie the scarf around it...my hair has thanked me for it and it doesnt run against my ends or others bits of my hair.

HTH

This is maybe a stupid question but does the silk hold your bun in place or just cover it? How big of a piece of silk do you use? What a lovely idea.

tthreat08

I bun almost daily without ponytail holders....just pins. The key for me is to make sure I remove all shed hairs daily, and fully moisturize (all up in there, not just the ends) each night. I don't have breakage from buns. Your hair should thrive wonderfully from wearing buns. Enjoy!

Oh, and I don't do "baby hair" either! LOL