Hey Bunners - Breakage??

Luscious Locks

It's the fine hair that grows around the edges that some ladies choose to brush onto the skin around the hairline so that it shows up more.

oooooh. lol. i thought, as much but i just wanted to make sure. i personally do not like that whole look. JLO loves it though. i heard that when she does bun styles for photo shoots she slicks her own baby edges down because she says no other stylist does it right. Oribe (her stylist) says she brought her own wax/pomade. i couldn't believe it.

Luscious Locks

Question to bunners: Are you also stretching for long periods of time? I stretch and bun, and it looks terrible. My hair just does not look cute. I've started air drying in pigtails which has helped, but not a whole lot.

Whimsy

Question to bunners: Are you also stretching for long periods of time? I stretch and bun, and it looks terrible. My hair just does not look cute. I've started air drying in pigtails which has helped, but not a whole lot.

Well I'm transitioning so i have TONS of new growth (18 months worth :grin:) but my buns aren't looking terrible...

what's going on? is it your edges? the length of your hair? the actual bun?

Aggie

Yeah, it happens. Most will advise changing up the style and/or changing the position of the bun but it's so easy just to do the same bun daily. I've had breakage from the bun (and not wet bun either, wet bun breakage is worse) but fortunately mine wasn't in any extremely noticeable place. I would mostly get it behind my ears and some in the nape area.

ETA: I'm trying to figure out a good balance between wearing my hair down and up.

This is good to know. I am going to ask my niece to teach me how to bun my hair. She is now 15 years old and does a fantastic job of bunning her hair and has been for a few years now. I won't do it everyday because I like too many different styles just to stick with one look for too long:look:.

GV-NA-GI-TLV-GE-I

So i'm jumping on the bunning bandwagon and just curious.... I know for most the long term effect is crazy amounts of length retention (YAY!) but I'm just curious if anyone experienced breakage at the bun points... OR other negatives from long term bunning.

(sorry, this isn't meant to be a downer, I just want to be fully informed so I know how to get best results from this.)

Thanks girls!! :)

I did. I wet bunned for the longest time and since I had damaged my hair at one point with overprocessing which left it very straight and weak, those areas where I used seamless hair ties broke. So, I'm using clamps now and not pulling it too tight. I'll twist the hair then clamp it or I'll use Chinese chopsticks in my hair. I also am eager for 6 more inches where I can bun my hair without any tools...just twist it around and tuck it under in a knot with the hair itself. There's a way to do it without having to use any hairpins. It probably loosens a lot during the day but so what...better for the hair :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeRL25hm76c&feature=related

Last edited:

Aggie

I did. I wet bunned for the longest time and since I had damaged my hair at one point with overprocessing which left it very straight and weak, those areas where I used seamless hair ties broke. So, I'm using clamps now and not pulling it too tight. I'll twist the hair then clamp it or I'll use Chinese chopsticks in my hair.

Hmmm, the clamps/clips are a good idea too. I can do this as well, thanks.

Shay72

Natural, 4A
Yeah I need to stop using scrunchies. I have claws and ghd pins. Claws I understand but the ghd pins I don't. Sometimes simple things are hard for me. Does your hair need to be a certain length? Coordination is tough for me too. How do you twist, hold, and push the pin down?

Fine 4s

My hair cannot stand the stress of bunning. Its possible I pull too tight, but I've found that my hair just does better if I limit the bunning (maybe 2x a month). I can do curly updos without the stress. So if you're doing buns, just don't pull too tight and watch like a hawk to make sure that you're hair isn't suffering from them. If it isn't, then go for it :)

As my hair gets longer the bunning process gets more difficult for me. I busted one of my bungee cords and almost had a fit! But when I'm calmer, I'll wear a bun for about one whole week. I haven't wet bunned since last summer. These days my buns happen when one of my 'out' styles are fading away then damped the hair, grab it all into a ponytail holder. This past week was the case and I used a brush to smooth the edges down. With every stroke of that brush, I cringed. Talk about paranoia...I bun about 3-4 times a year. I'm a natural MBL.

Fine 4s

I bun almost daily without ponytail holders....just pins. The key for me is to make sure I remove all shed hairs daily, and fully moisturize (all up in there, not just the ends) each night. I don't have breakage from buns. Your hair should thrive wonderfully from wearing buns. Enjoy!

Oh, and I don't do "baby hair" either! LOL

I should be able to do that. So the last bun I did was done by dampening the hair, twisting it in one direction until it formed a bun. Here's where the problem comes in, I don't have big enough bobby pins to hold the hair down! I have to use my bungee cords to hold it down. Do you know where I could find these giant hair pins?