Hi.. My name is Jess and im a protein addict..

ang3lface816

I dont even know where to start.. Probably should start with updating the profile pic.. lol.. My hair is slowly nearing APL.. I had been stuck at Necklength for quite some time.. due to caring more about styling/color than health/length...

I finally read up on protein, and began using it.. It was like my hair thrived!! It looked thicker, healthier and finally seemed to be growing again...

Now im thinking, maybe i overdid a good thing...
This comes from.. being on the total opposite end of the spectrum.
after reading that book by shamboosie at age 15..

I read that moisture was critical for black hair.. so I think I over did it. My hair was limp, and lifeless.. But at the same time looked healthy (sheen, smooth).. But it was just there.. didn't do anything special.. and when it got wet.. it stretched and broke right out.. ( a sign of over-moisturizing..)(1st pic)

Well once I learned how important protein is for fine hair, I purchased Aphogee (great products by the way)...So it began to look better than ever.. (2nd Pic)

So i finally got my growth, bleached my hair again(yeah no lectures on this please... lol).. Hence the 3rd pic

I have been pretty faithful to my routine, but now think my hair is maybe having protein overload, those pics are to come....
My hair feels really dry, like straw... reminds me of how it felt the last time I bleached my hair..

When its wet, its beautiful..
But somehow I cant seem to find the balance, without weighing down my fine hair with "moisturizing products" not to mention it will not lay smoothly without flat-ironing..

I need help ladies...
How did you all get your hair so full, and flowy looking..
I also have the W shape in the back.. and its been like that for as long as I can remember.. b/c the right side grows the fastest, then the left, then middle.. So by the time the middle gets to the length of the other two sides, then the sides are longer!!

Forgive my rant..
I just feel like my progress is not what it should be..
What products do you use to make it more flowy, not so stiff.. ( i think someone once called it the ski-slope on here.. LMBO)

Help!!

Attachments

• LHCF 1.jpg
    LHCF 1.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 37
  • LHCF2.jpg
    LHCF2.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 45
  • lhcf3.jpg
    lhcf3.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Maybe its time
for you to start experimenting
with different products...
*I'm really not an expertise
on protein overload but I'm going to
Bump it up for you...

I tried to incorporate protein to my hair using egg, and my hair told me NO. don't mess with it anymore. Now I do henna- and my hair is happy. I know henna acts like a protein, though I'm not sure it truly is one. The key, from what I can tell is to get the balance of the protein, the moisture, and porosity correct. Perhaps you should look at your porosity and add Roux Porosity control (I've heard great things) or apple cider vinegar (I use this- works wonders.) PS, I'm not anywhere near an expert, but this is what I've learned so far. Good luck!

Hello Jess!
I agree with Pandora, I think there needs to be a balance between protein and moisture and the optimal place on that spectrum is going to be different for everybody.
I'm in no way an expert because I've been trying to find this place for myself!

I have been using this rule (now this is only me experimenting-I don't know if this is absolutely accurate!):
If it stretches and breaks while it's wet - more protein needed
If it's dry and brittle when dry - more moisture needed

But for some reason, the rule works for me and is helping me to gradually form a routine that is moisture-protein balanced. I try to limit as much breakage as possible when wet and also to make sure it's moisturised enough when dry.
It helps me to know how much of a certain product I need and how little of another I need.

This could help you too!

One thing that always helps me when I have trouble with my protein and moisture balance is I look up Sista Slicks articles and that helps. I don't have the links but you can go and search for Sista Slick and her fotki and articles will come up. Her articles have help me greatly and she is a member here!!!!!

Back