High Porosity

yellagirl730

I just found out I have high porosity hair. I did a porosity test this wkd and the hair floated forever. I have since found out you should use clean hair stripped of all hair products so I washed with a clarifying shampoo, put it in water and it sank. I was all set to get a steamer to help the moisturizers penetrate the hair. Now I don't know what to do. Do I need to do a hard protein treatment or moisturizer? I am at a loss and surprised that I have high porosity hair.

AMAKA127

High porosity is due to hair not being able to retain moisture not protein ... if anything DC and seal consistently for the next couple weeks (maybe even twice a week) & get your moisture levels up... I know with this change in weather I started to moisturize more often than I did during warmer seasons. Also, try ACV rinses to seal those cuticles. I do ACV rinses weekly after my DC.

Question: r u natural or relaxed? Dyed? What products do you use? Does your hair feel dry?

yellagirl730

High porosity is due to hair not being able to retain moisture not protein ... if anything DC and seal consistently for the next couple weeks (maybe even twice a week) & get your moisture levels up... I know with this change in weather I started to moisturize more often than I did during warmer seasons. Also, try ACV rinses to seal those cuticles. I do ACV rinses weekly after my DC.

Question: r u natural or relaxed? Dyed? What products do you use? Does your hair feel dry?

I am relaxed with a semi perm color. I have been using Ojon products. I am trying to get a regimen. Have tried alot of different products but don't think I have tried anything long enough.

AMAKA127

When I was relaxed I always had issues with porosity. ACV rinses will def help & maybe a light protein every 2 weeks (aphogee's 2min miracle). Try nettle tea rinses, they are amazing. Just be aware of ingredients mineral oils, petrolatums, silicones blah blah blah... that will coat the hair and not allow moisture to penetrate the hair shaft.. Good luck!

brittle_hair

I have high porosity relaxed hair and nothing sorts me out like Affirm 5 in 1.

I have previously used Porosity Control but I think the combination of the low porosity elements, protein and detangling ability in the Affirm 5 in 1 makes it all together more effective - also stops any breakage in it's tracks and I discovered this weekend that I can comb my 8-weeks-post-relaxer wet hair from root to tip without any breakage after I have used this - I love this stuff!

Not sure what it does for someone who is fully natural though...

ETA: Apparently french perm stabilizer is also a must-have for high porosity hair - I can't get it in the UK but I am currently in the process of finding someone in the US to ship some to me. You can get it in Sally's.

Last edited:

kassieme

I am relaxed with a semi perm color. I have been using Ojon products. I am trying to get a regimen. Have tried alot of different products but don't think I have tried anything long enough.

Thats why you were high porosity Relaxer AND color are bad bad bad together. (I know this is old Im sorry to dig it up again lol)