Hip Tbl & Beyond Challenge 2018

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Hair
I've been pretty good about sticking to my written-down regimen. I wish that tonight I could just shower and go to sleep (I've had a full day and just got back to the house with the boys), but I'm going to start wash day now. I've nailed down the linked regimen to do for the first quarter of Abena's hair growth study, so that I can establish my baseline hair growth rate apart from hair growth supplements and such: https://myhairgrowthstudyexperience.wordpress.com/months-schedule-of-weekly-wash-days/

Fitness/Health
I met with a group of black women to work out, and that workout was tough! We got a free, private session at a facility, and everything was top-notch.

We ran on the treadmill for 5 minutes at a time, did the rowing machine, did moves on the step, did abs works, did squats . . . and rinse and repeat a few times. The ladies were wonderful. So were the instructors! The young black guy came over and increased the incline AND speed of my treadmill while I was on it. I told him, "I promise you: I'm doing enough! I don't really run like this!" He just kept it moving. SMH. ;)

I definitely worked out harder than I typically do for my home workout sessions. It's got me thinking. :scratchchin: My at-home workouts and collagen intake DEFINITELY enabled me to get through the workout, though! Grateful for that, 'cause a lot of ladies left in sore and/or in pain!

The owner took a pic for us. :smile:

V__C635.jpg

shanelallyn30

I love your mini Senegalese twists. I am going to do those. they look way more natural than the bulky ones. thank you

My ability to upload pictures is very fickle and unpredictable so I'm gonna drop some starting pictures and my goals here while I'm able to upload.

I'm going to list my starting pictures and goals in the way I mostly wear my hair. My actual length is my avatar.

Mini braids starting length:

View attachment 378587

My goal length in them:

View attachment 378593

This is a set of Senegalese twists (with added hair) I rocked around 2 years ago. I would like my mini braids to look similar by the end of the challenge.

My current braidout:

View attachment 378589

View attachment 378591

It actually hits around APL if I don't curl the ends on rollers like I usually do. So honestly I already like how it looks now but a bit more volume wouldn't hurt.

Wash and go ponytail:

Wet

View attachment 378595

Dry

View attachment 378597

Both pics = no product. A true wash and go. I feel the same with this as I do with my braidout. I already like how it looks now...just wouldn't mind more volume.

Can't wait to see my progress in a year! I'm still pushing for Classic length overall but I moreso want to reach my goals in the way I mostly rock my hair.
I

YvetteWithJoy

On break
On Sunday I had to wig it :cry3:(someone arrived at the house 2+ hours late, and that threw everything off, as I had saved half of my Saturday wash day for Sunday morning).

My husband, mom, and brother tried to reassure me that I looked okay, but wigs make me self-conscious because my head is large. ;)

My own hair was in 8 twists underneath, with Annabelle's PerfectBlends Souffle DC under CurlyProverbz DIY Hair Growth oil.

WP_20170611_036.jpg

MzSwift

I hurt my knee packing up the house while wearing my little man so I've been trying to take it easy. Did a Henna tea rinse, washed with my shikakai/neem/amla poo, then I added the henna tea back in under my moisturizing DC. I've been feeling like my hair needed more strengthening. I used my baking soda/amino acid mix as a DC and my hair felt lovely.

Two more weeks and we sell this house and buy a bigger one! WHOHOO!! These past 4 weeks have been sooo busy as we were not expecting to actually buy and list houses. Lol. But the new bathroom is so much bigger and I feel like it's remotivated me to spend more time in there doing my hair. Lol.

I think I'm going to alternate PSing in wigs and twist/braid extensions with keeping my hair stretched when it's out in order to retain better. I trimmed at the end of April and I think I'm still at MBL. I'm hoping to be back to WL by the EOTY and then kissing HL by the end of 2018!

I vow to take more pix, not just for my own assessments but because I think it's important to share and remain accountable in hair challenges.

HHG ladies! :)

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
I hurt my knee packing up the house while wearing my little man so I've been trying to take it easy. Did a Henna tea rinse, washed with my shikakai/neem/amla poo, then I added the henna tea back in under my moisturizing DC. I've been feeling like my hair needed more strengthening. I used my baking soda/amino acid mix as a DC and my hair felt lovely.

Two more weeks and we sell this house and buy a bigger one! WHOHOO!! These past 4 weeks have been sooo busy as we were not expecting to actually buy and list houses. Lol. But the new bathroom is so much bigger and I feel like it's remotivated me to spend more time in there doing my hair. Lol.

I think I'm going to alternate PSing in wigs and twist/braid extensions with keeping my hair stretched when it's out in order to retain better. I trimmed at the end of April and I think I'm still at MBL. I'm hoping to be back to WL by the EOTY and then kissing HL by the end of 2018!

I vow to take more pix, not just for my own assessments but because I think it's important to share and remain accountable in hair challenges.

HHG ladies! :)

Congrats on a speedy sale as well as the purchase of the new home!

abioni

What did you do to gain two inches?

Length update. Think I can claim MBL now vs BSL :D
Grew about 2 inches since I started the challenge. Very excited about the progress so far. (I know you cant see my bra strap that well in the April pic, but, My hair was right at the tippy top of the bra strap). Im excited to see growth lol!

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Health/Fitness
Today was cardio, so DS#1 and I sprinted-walked-jogged-walked-sprinted-walked-jogged-walked-etc. for 20 minutes. Then we played basketball (H-O-R-S-E) until DS#2 needed attention. (I got an "H" and he didn't get anything, and he was very proud of that. :smile:)​

Hair
I've had my hair in 10 twists all week. I can't believe it, but I've worn my wavy bob wig on Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and today (Thursday). But tonight is an inaugural meeting of my city's Women Rocking Naturals meetup. I just couldn't see myself showing up in a wig.

So, I just rinsed my 10 twists under shower water, and then one by one did the following to each twist:
  1. removed excess water with a microfiber towel,
  2. applied Soultanicals Twist Assist,
  3. brushed the prouct through with the KareCo Tangle Buster Brush (it was a breeze!),
  4. retwisted, and
  5. removed any excess product.
I'm now sitting under my HairFlair. I can give it an hour and 15 minutes until 5:15, then I have to untwist and style. I hope it dries! If it doesn't, it will look like an elongated wash-and-go versus a twist-out, and I'll just rock that. :smile:

flyygirlll2

Lioness mane
I haven't posted a hair update in a minute but I Had a setback due to these little demons (ssk's). SoI just finished straightening my hair, it looks like a blow out at this point cause I've been sweating the whole damm time lol.

But I cut about 2 inches off because it was really that bad. I've been cutting more since the start of the year due to this issue. I guess I'll just have to figure something else out because dealing with this makes it difficult to just love my hair.

IMG_1220.JPG

IMG_1221.JPG

Sorry if the pics are too big.

Damaris.Elle

I've been slacking on posting, but my hair is doing great! I did a henna, green tea and honey treatment last week for the first time in about 3-4 months. My hair looked nice and full all week long. I've started taking Beautifully Bamboo supplements again. The supplements combined with Xcel21 spray has my hair growing like a weed. I'm inching towards hip length...I *think* I may already be w'hip length. I'll have to take a length check picture to be completely sure. My hair just seems to be getting so much thicker...I can tell at the roots especially. My goal is to be hip length by September.
My ponytail this past Thursday. I love how much thicker it looks compared to how my ponytail used to look:
PonytailJune2017.jpg

SmilingElephant

I haven't posted a hair update in a minute but I Had a setback due to these little demons (ssk's). SoI just finished straightening my hair, it looks like a blow out at this point cause I've been sweating the whole damm time lol.

But I cut about 2 inches off because it was really that bad. I've been cutting more since the start of the year due to this issue. I guess I'll just have to figure something else out because dealing with this makes it difficult to just love my hair.

View attachment 401939

View attachment 401941

Sorry if the pics are too big.

Lush! :love:

Do you use any oils on your ends? I was having that problem too but I found I have to use oils in my hair, especially my nape and ends.

SmilingElephant

Well, I'm about to get ready for work. I think I'm going to just put some oil in my hair and bun it for today and then tonight I'm going to do my braid like @lulu97 said she does her hair to get a nice single braid, and wear it like that for the rest of the week.

I bought the growth oil from Camille Rose and some Kinky Curly Knot Today along with my favorite Moroccan Argan oil conditioner by OGX.

I love how the oil smells and the ayurvedic ingredients in it. I bought it for my ends even though it's meant to be for the scalp.

lindseyerinc

Going to be starting an accelerated Nursing program next week and I need a protective style. Decided on this one and I'm about to get started.

View attachment 402673

Hopefully I like it because it's cute and not just because the model is gorgeous. I also hope I can get it to last at least a month.
OT but, I had an instructor who despised my natural hair (old white man, open trump supporter.) During my final evals he was like you did good, but maybe you could comb your hair.

KinksAndInk

Professional Napper
Going to be starting an accelerated Nursing program next week and I need a protective style. Decided on this one and I'm about to get started.

View attachment 402673

Hopefully I like it because it's cute and not just because the model is gorgeous. I also hope I can get it to last at least a month.
Cute hairstyle. Good luck. I just finished nursing school in April. Passed my NCLEX on Tuesday...which also happened to be my birthday.

MzSwift

I cornrowed my hair last night using my ACV rinse to dampen my hair before applying my product. I think it turned out well. My hair felt really good. I'm excited again about rocking wigs. I bought a few new short kinky curly ones In different colors which is different for me.