Hip Tbl & Beyond Challenge 2018

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I boiled 2 tablespoons of flaxseeds in one cup of water for around 5 minutes. You do need to kind of stay and watch it because the flax seeds tend to stick to the bottom of the pan. So you wanna give it a stir every now and again.
Let cool and strain. That was the weird part. (The texture is slimy and just weird to me) I strained it through an old dress sock.

TFS!

Does it matter if the flaxseeds are milled or whole? I eat milled flaxseed and could definitely boil a couple of spoonfuls. :lol:

* This site is going to send me down a DIY rabbit whole if this gel is hittin'! LOL! *

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
TFS!

Does it matter if the flaxseeds are milled or whole? I eat milled flaxseed and could definitely boil a couple of spoonfuls. :lol:

* This site is going to send me down a DIY rabbit whole if this gel is hittin'! LOL! *

I was watching a tutorial Naptural85 did and she suggested to only use whole flaxseeds. Mine cost around $3 at my local grocery store so you won't be losing much if you buy the whole ones. LOL

Daina

These days I always airdry in 2 twisted Bantu knots and when I do, my hairline and top area of my hair almost go straight. It loses all of its texture and shine. I've been wearing my hair in a twisted bun and while the back always looks nice and shiny, the front is always straight and dull once dry.

Yesterday I made some flax seed gel. It was the weirdest thing I've made to date. But it left my hair shiny and slick and is holding my hair down like no other while also leaving it moisturized unlike gels I've used in the past.

Top of my hair before:
View attachment 400507

After:
View attachment 400509

Now the top matches the back! LOL (the bun picture is old but that's what the bun/back of my head looks like normally)
View attachment 400505

I only made 3 ounces of gel and used half on this style. I'll use the other half on Sunday when I wash again.

View attachment 400511

@lulu97, the front of my hair does the exact same. It is definitely the dryer more coarse area of my head and the curl pattern in the front is tighter and more coily than the back. Flaxseed gel whether you buy it or make it just reminds me of snot!

Colocha

acne cream and afro dreams
These days I always airdry in 2 twisted Bantu knots and when I do, my hairline and top area of my hair almost go straight. It loses all of its texture and shine. I've been wearing my hair in a twisted bun and while the back always looks nice and shiny, the front is always straight and dull once dry.

Yesterday I made some flax seed gel. It was the weirdest thing I've made to date. But it left my hair shiny and slick and is holding my hair down like no other while also leaving it moisturized unlike gels I've used in the past.

Have you noticed any build up from it? I switched to wearing a twisted bun but Eco Styler left some gunk in my hair so I'm looking for a better gel.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
@lulu97, the front of my hair does the exact same. It is definitely the dryer more coarse area of my head and the curl pattern in the front is tighter and more coily than the back. Flaxseed gel whether you buy it or make it just reminds me of snot!

I know right! I'mma see if I can find a bottle with a pump so I won't have to touch it as much. It feels gross but it's doing my hair right!

Have you noticed any build up from it? I switched to wearing a twisted bun but Eco Styler left some gunk in my hair so I'm looking for a better gel.

I have a small patch at my middle part of build up but I can just get a wet washcloth and blot it out.

image.jpg

I think I just applied too much to that area...plus I applied it to dry hair. Naptural85 pointed out the build up can come from not working it in well. I just kinda slapped it on LOL

This is day 3 with it. It is started to frizz a bit but I don't sleep with a scarf (just on a silk pillowcase) so I'm guessing that's causing a little frizz. Other than that, I absolutely love it.

image.jpg

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
I'm even more amazed at the flax seed gel on wet hair. I've never been one for defining my natural curls but dang this stuff is a great definer and locks everything in place. I only applied it to the top of my hair and braided the rest in a few braids to bun with. I'm curious to see how long the results last, so I'mma try not to bother my hair much until next weekend.

SmilingElephant

Lulu97 you have a forehead like my sister lol! Edges and everything! :lol:

I'm in a better mood lately.

Y'all...let me tell you how I know for sure I CANNOT be without my meds! I tried cutting corners last week bc of financial issues and tried to go without or lower the dosages or stretch out my meds....:nono: NO. NO MA'AM:smh:

I had been blasting off on everybody in sight almost all around town. And it just felt like my anger and irritability was just out of my control...I've been medicated for 2 years straight and never felt like that...only on the instances where I happened to run out of meds. It's so scary. #BipolarLife

Anyway I'm fully medicated again and I'm starting to return to "normal". I also managed to get an HSN vitamin in CVS, the Nature's Bounty Gummies I was on before...I really like them and they actually work for me. I usually go by how fast my nails grow to tell if it's a good HSN and they grew stupid fast with this.

I need to do a photographic length check. I keep doing spontaneous ones and I personally know that I am back at Whip Length as planned. I am now claiming Hip Length for the end of the year, as I am actually scrrrrrraping Hip Length :clap:

Is anybody here shooting for Classic length? I've been thinking about it.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Lulu97 you have a forehead like my sister lol! Edges and everything! :lol:

I'm in a better mood lately.

Y'all...let me tell you how I know for sure I CANNOT be without my meds! I tried cutting corners last week bc of financial issues and tried to go without or lower the dosages or stretch out my meds....:nono: NO. NO MA'AM:smh:

I had been blasting off on everybody in sight almost all around town. And it just felt like my anger and irritability was just out of my control...I've been medicated for 2 years straight and never felt like that...only on the instances where I happened to run out of meds. It's so scary. #BipolarLife

Anyway I'm fully medicated again and I'm starting to return to "normal". I also managed to get an HSN vitamin in CVS, the Nature's Bounty Gummies I was on before...I really like them and they actually work for me. I usually go by how fast my nails grow to tell if it's a good HSN and they grew stupid fast with this.

I need to do a photographic length check. I keep doing spontaneous ones and I personally know that I am back at Whip Length as planned. I am now claiming Hip Length for the end of the year, as I am actually scrrrrrraping Hip Length :clap:

Is anybody here shooting for Classic length? I've been thinking about it.

Well just think of me as part of the family then! LOL

My goal when starting this challenge was to reach classic length. But at this point, I really no longer have an "overall length" goal. However I do have goal lengths of certain styles. For example, braidouts are probably my most worn style. I have set mini goals to get that style to my waist, hips and then tailbone. First on stretched roller set hair and then on just "braided after washing" hair. That should keep my hair journey interesting for the next few years....cause I lose interest in it once I reach my goals so I have to continue setting new ones. LOL

SmilingElephant

Well just think of me as part of the family then! LOL

My goal when starting this challenge was to reach classic length. But at this point, I really no longer have an "overall length" goal. However I do have goal lengths of certain styles. For example, braidouts are probably my most worn style. I have set mini goals to get that style to my waist, hips and then tailbone. First on stretched roller set hair and then on just "braided after washing" hair. That should keep my hair journey interesting for the next few years....cause I lose interest in it once I reach my goals so I have to continue setting new ones. LOL

We'll alright then Sis! LOL!

Yeah I get you! I want a length that is long enough so when my hair is stretched out my braid sits between WL or TBL and I feel I would have to be classic length for that. The last time I checked my braid tassel sits at just below bsl. But that was back in October when I trimmed my hair.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
By virtue of participating in Abena Palmore's hair growth study, I am paying more attention to my health and exercise, my supplement and vitamin intake, fidelity to my hair regimen, and careful handling of my hair. Regardless of whether anything over the next year accelerates my hair growth, participating is having a positive affect.

I documented my initial length check here: https://myhairgrowthstudyexperience...-diary-entry-2017-06-01-initial-length-check/

SmilingElephant

It was probably just my dumb phone. I can view it from my laptop though. Looking good Sis! Yeah I think you are right around the hip area.

Have you colored your hair or is that just conditioner in it?

ETA: Thanks!:lol: It's just conditioner. That's my natural hair color, I'm scared to color or put anything it like that lol

Colocha

acne cream and afro dreams
I made the flaxseed gel and everything was going great up to straining. It was a nightmare.

Eventually I gave up and now I have a small amount but most of it is white and looks like froth. I dont know if that's normal so I just stuck the jar in the fridge.

morgandenae

Morgan Denae'
Did a moisture wash on Thursday and attempted my first flat twist out. My hair didn't fully dry (of course :rolleyes:) and my flax seed gel was a flaky hot mess (never again :mad:) but the style seems promising. It looked like an elongated wash n go and I'm here for it.

Since it was a hot mess by day 3 I did a protein wash yesterday. I was due for a strong so used Aphogee Two Step. I usually despise this day due to the dry mangled tangled mess I have to deal with with each step but the process was soooo pleasant. I attribute this to adding an ounce of my oil mix to my diluted shampoo. My hair was clean but moisturized. Why haven't I thought of this before!

Still loving the tingle of my Curly Proverbs Oil :)

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Health
Yesterday DS#1 and I did weights. LOL! His form! Oh, well. He'll get better. The day before we jumped rope for our cardio, and he improved before my eyes. He wants to swim next time for cardio. Public pools. Mmm.

I am on week 2 of the New Chapter Woman II vitamin. Taking 3 in one dose hasn't been bad at all.

Eating: It's been SUPER healthy. I did have a snacking fail: Chocolate Oreos with coconut filling. Worth the taste. :look:

Hair
I'm all the way together for participating consistently in Abena's hair growth study. Blog is basically set up. :up:

I recently did a Soultanicals Sprung Coil Boosting Gelly wash-and-go. My hair feels GREAT in this gel. My wng steps and photos are here: https://myhairgrowthstudyexperience...ry-entry-2017-06-07-soultanicals-wash-and-go/

Detangling dreams: I detangled my whole head in 35 minutes using J.R. Liggetts shampoo bar. Unbelievable! My review is here: https://myhairgrowthstudyexperience...f-j-r-liggetts-coconut-argan-oil-shampoo-bar/

Lastly: I have hard water!!! VERY hard, they reported.:cry3:I'm going to look into a shower filter from Home Depot. So glad I got the HairPrint Chelating Shampoo.​

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Health
Yesterday DS#1 and I did weights. LOL! His form! Oh, well. He'll get better. The day before we jumped rope for our cardio, and he improved before my eyes. He wants to swim next time for cardio. Public pools. Mmm.

I am on week 2 of the New Chapter Woman II vitamin. Taking 3 in one dose hasn't been bad at all.

Eating: It's been SUPER healthy. I did have a snacking fail: Chocolate Oreos with coconut filling. Worth the taste. :look:

Hair
I'm all the way together for participating consistently in Abena's hair growth study. Blog is basically set up. :up:

I recently did a Soultanicals Sprung Coil Boosting Gelly wash-and-go. My hair feels GREAT in this gel. My wng steps and photos are here: https://myhairgrowthstudyexperience...ry-entry-2017-06-07-soultanicals-wash-and-go/

Detangling dreams: I detangled my whole head in 35 minutes using J.R. Liggetts shampoo bar. Unbelievable! My review is here: https://myhairgrowthstudyexperience...f-j-r-liggetts-coconut-argan-oil-shampoo-bar/

Lastly: I have hard water!!! VERY hard, they reported.:cry3:I'm going to look into a shower filter from Home Depot. So glad I got the HairPrint Chelating Shampoo.​

Great job on healthy eating!!! My pregnancy cravings won't let me be great. I debated for almost 20 minutes today between eating a fruit bowl or Airheads candy. The airheads won the battle. :lachen:
I'mma do better!