Hip Tbl & Beyond Challenge 2018

pre_medicalrulz

It Always Been About Hair!
@pre_medicalrulz I bought that wig in this color. Hopefully I will look nice in it so it can be my summer wig.

Wow! That's very pretty! Where did you order it? I usually just go to Beauty Elegant around the block and they don't have all these colors!! Grrrr! But I like this one and would like to order this color too! LOL

NaturalShe94

Sooooo.

I've kinda given up on my hair. I'm beyond frustrated at this point.
My hair will not stop splitting at the ends, SSKs are rampant and I can't keep my hair moisturized to save my life. I've tried all different methods.

Internally: Drank more water, ate more fruits and veggies.
Externally: protein treatments, moisturizing treatments, baggy method, protective styles, wearing a bonnet, trimming ends, moisturizing lotions/leave in, bunning, not wearing hair out, wigs, etc.

Of course I don't do everything at one. But after trying all of that, I still get split ends and SSKs.

I had to cut off almost 2 inches today. My ends are disgusting. IDK what to do. Maybe I'm not meant to have long hair *shrug*

Cut hair:
View attachment 399507

Awwww, I know the feeling. Part of the reason I chopped off my hair in November... Got soooo sick of split ends appearing out of no where...
Don't give up though! :badidea:
It took me a while to figure out what my hair does/does not like... You'll get it very soon....
I realize I get SSKs the longer my hair gets.... As far as moisture goes.... Hmmm, what products are you using???
Btw, your hair looks sooo purrrdyyyyy :love::love::love:

NaturalShe94

Sooooooo I just had to take a moment for this bun this morning lol!
I haven't done any official length checks on my hair or anything, but, I've been bunning it for a solid, 2 months, give or take a week.... And my buns are starting to stick out more, getting bigger, looking rounder, and it's not a struggle anymore to actually get the plait rolled into a bun anymore (like I literally will have a serious tug at my nape to get the right bun because the plait is too short to roll all the way around). So I assume I've got some growth going on
:bouncy:

FullSizeRender (2).jpg
FullSizeRender (1).jpg

Daina

Sooooooo I just had to take a moment for this bun this morning lol!
I haven't done any official length checks on my hair or anything, but, I've been bunning it for a solid, 2 months, give or take a week.... And my buns are starting to stick out more, getting bigger, looking rounder, and it's not a struggle anymore to actually get the plait rolled into a bun anymore (like I literally will have a serious tug at my nape to get the right bun because the plait is too short to roll all the way around). So I assume I've got some growth going on
:bouncy:

View attachment 399657
View attachment 399659

Your hair is so pretty and shiny!

morgandenae

Morgan Denae'
I would love to join. I'm finally ready to focus on growing out my hair again now that I've got a few kinks worked out (literally). I love that this challenge has a holistic approach.

During my time in hair blues I learned so many things about my hair likes which has helped me get my breakage to a respectable low. They always tell you to find what YOUR hair likes but I was too busy finding what my hair type is "suppose" to like.

1) I get my physical at the end of every year. Last year I asked for full blood work and everything was within normal limits. Will ask for another this year.

2) Recently quit my stressful job due to moving for school (with two week notice ofcourse) #responsible #whatstress

3) I'm so ready to improve my diet and start back working out now that I have the time!

Current length: My last flat iron was in December and I was BSL. Don't plan on flat ironing again until August and I'm just hoping for MBL.

Regimen:

Alternate moisture and protein washes. Edit: 2:1 ratio moisture: protein

On protein weeks:

• Prepoo with a scalp exfoliant on scalp and Etae Caramel Treatment on length no heat
  • Shampoo with diluted shampoo, water, and ACV solution
  • Herbal rinse (NEW, trialing)
  • Deep condition with mild protein deep conditioner diluted with AVJ, a cap full of Colorful Neutral Protein Filler, and oil mix (coconut, avocado, grapeseed, and olive).
  • *Hard protein every 6-8 weeks. Following up with moisture conditioner.
  • Detangle with DC on hair with paddle brush. Sit under the dryer and/0r leave on overnight.
  • Style in wash n go using a leave in, conditioner, and gel with extra product and lubed up ends (usually butter but trialing beeswax)
On moisture weeks:
  • Prepoo with a scalp exfoliant on scalp and oil mix on length with heat
  • Cowash
  • Tea rinse or herbal rinse
  • Deep condition with moisture protein diluted with AVJ, Ayurvedic powders, and oil mix
  • Detangle with DC on hair with paddle brush. Sit under the dryer and/or leave on overnight.
  • Style in wash n go using leave in, conditioner, and gel with extra product and lubed up end (usually butter but trialing beeswax)
Every morning I sprits my hair with a diluted leave in mixed with Glycerin, and my oil mix (trialing honey), add X-cel to the roots with an applicator bottle, and spread through scalp with an afro pick.

In the evenings I sprits with my mix again, add my version of Curly Proverbs hair growth oil to my scalp and ends, and spread through scalp with an afro pick.

I plan to drink at least 2L of water a day and work out 30 minutes 4 days a week alternating cardio and strength. Once I get some decent recipes together I also plan to try a vegetarian diet again.

Exact goal length: TBL but I'll more than gladly take Hip by December '18

Plans to help you achieve your goal: Staying consistent with my regimen.

List any vitamins/supplements you are taking:
  • One A Day
  • Hair, Skin, and Nails
  • Vitamin D
  • Fish Oil
  • Garlic
  • Probiotics
Your ends care regimen to keep them healthy: Keep em' glistening!

Last edited:

morgandenae

Morgan Denae'
My hair feels amazing after my moisture wash day routine today and since I'm using so much protein on a daily basis (X-cel & Henna) I'm going to up my moisture washes to 2:1 and see how that goes.

Ordered a bunch of new herbs for my herbal rinse and leave-ins. 1lb of each (Thyme, Basil, Rosehip, Hibiscus, Horsetail, & Burdock Root). I plan to get major bang for my buck out of these by first brewing into a rinse, taking the excess herb and infusing into my Curly Proverbs oil, and then taking the excess sediment of the oil and continue to add to my DCs.

I also realize I've been using Flax Seeds instead of Fenugreek Seeds in the oil :rolleyes:. So I ordered 2lb of Fenugreek Seeds but will continue to use the Flax Seeds as well.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
@morgandenae Welcome to the challenge pretty Lady. Your avatar picture could seriously be on the cover of a magazine. My goodness you are beautiful!

I've been playing around in the herbal world too. I credit herbs and African black soap for healing some scalp irritation I was having. I ended up falling in love and replacing all my staple products with handmade herbal versions of everything. Let me know how you like the thyme and basil...haven't dipped in those yet.

morgandenae

Morgan Denae'
@morgandenae Welcome to the challenge pretty Lady. Your avatar picture could seriously be on the cover of a magazine. My goodness you are beautiful!

I've been playing around in the herbal world too. I credit herbs and African black soap for healing some scalp irritation I was having. I ended up falling in love and replacing all my staple products with handmade herbal versions of everything. Let me know how you like the thyme and basil...haven't dipped in those yet.

Awww yay I wish I could triple like! You are sooooo sweet, thank you! :blush2:

I just recently started dabbling in the ayurvedic world and my lord my hair game will never be the same. I'm excited to enter the herbal world as well, I have a feeling ill be like you and replacing a few or everything ;). The recipes I've seen from you have been yum :drool:. I'll stay updated and continue to stalk your goodies for ideas :D

NaturalShe94

I waterwashed last night and let my hair dry in the microfiber towel then let it air dry the rest....
Drying with the microfiber towel is sooooo much better than a regular towel. My hair usually dries untamable and frizz central with a regular towel. But with this MFiber hair towel I bought, it absorbs the water faster and surprisingly leaves my hair a little defined and soft.... I love that dang towel lol. Im never in a rush to hurry up and start putting products in right after wetting my hair for any reason. Ill walk around the house with the towel in my head, take it down and respray when Im ready.

IMG_2158.JPG
IMG_2157.JPG
IMG_2156.JPG

Alma Petra

I waterwashed last night and let my hair dry in the microfiber towel then let it air dry the rest....
Drying with the microfiber towel is sooooo much better than a regular towel. My hair usually dries untamable and frizz central with a regular towel. But with this MFiber hair towel I bought, it absorbs the water faster and surprisingly leaves my hair a little defined and soft.... I love that dang towel lol. Im never in a rush to hurry up and start putting products in right after wetting my hair for any reason. Ill walk around the house with the towel in my head, take it down and respray when Im ready.

View attachment 400087
View attachment 400085
View attachment 400083

Cute smile :heart:

Alma Petra

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Looks nice! I wonder why the decadence doesn't give you white flakes with the KCCC!!!

I apply the Decadence in the shower, section by section. I work it into the section, then flash the section under the shower water. After I do that to all sections, outside of the shower, I liberally apply the KCCC. If you watch Youtube's Naptural85 do her wash and go, you'll see how I do the flash-under-the-water thing. By the time I begin applying KCCC, no product is sitting on top of my strands. I think that might be the reason I don't get flakes with it.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
I really no longer have to deep condition. My hair remains soft yet strengthened and unusually moisturized at all times. I am amazed really. I still plan on doing special treatments here and there like henna/indigo or my DIY protein treatment (as needed).

Wash days are as simple and as long as it takes me to shower so of course I'm washing more often now.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
WP_20170530_019.jpg WP_20170530_020.jpg

After cardio this morning, I sat in the backyard, took in the elements, and sang to worship music. Good for the spirit!

Today I commenced taking a food grade multivitamin for women 40+. I'm doing the pill-box-always-in-my-purse thing to facilitate consistency. :smile:

WP_20170530_009.jpg

(each photo enlarges upon click)

Hair is still a gelled ponytail. Baggying my ends overnight has my ends feeling . . . different! It's good!

At the moment, I'm having veggie cravings, so I'm mainly eating veggies and fruit and nuts and low fat string cheese and yogurt all day.

Lastly, my version of the DivasCanCook banana pudding was a hit with the family for Memorial Day yesterday. Love that site!

WP_20170528_152.jpg

NaturalShe94

I really no longer have to deep condition. My hair remains soft yet strengthened and unusually moisturized at all times. I am amazed really. I still plan on doing special treatments here and there like henna/indigo or my DIY protein treatment (as needed).

Wash days are as simple and as long as it takes me to shower so of course I'm washing more often now.

I've been thinking about this... Well the DC part... I skipped DC last week and my hair remained moisturized the rest of the week, I washed and conditioned Sunday and I didn't feel the need to DC, but, I did anyway just because it's apart of my regimen.... I will be making this change in my regimen to DC twice a month now vs 4 times a month.... The health of my hair has improved tremendously in strength and moisture so I do believe that I can now cut out a few steps on wash days. I've already cut out pre-pooing every wash day. I only prepoo with a hot oil treatment once a month now....

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
These days I always airdry in 2 twisted Bantu knots and when I do, my hairline and top area of my hair almost go straight. It loses all of its texture and shine. I've been wearing my hair in a twisted bun and while the back always looks nice and shiny, the front is always straight and dull once dry.

Yesterday I made some flax seed gel. It was the weirdest thing I've made to date. But it left my hair shiny and slick and is holding my hair down like no other while also leaving it moisturized unlike gels I've used in the past.

Top of my hair before:
image.jpg

After:
image.jpg

Now the top matches the back! LOL (the bun picture is old but that's what the bun/back of my head looks like normally)
image.jpg

I only made 3 ounces of gel and used half on this style. I'll use the other half on Sunday when I wash again.

image.jpg

YvetteWithJoy

On break
These days I always airdry in 2 twisted Bantu knots and when I do, my hairline and top area of my hair almost go straight. It loses all of its texture and shine. I've been wearing my hair in a twisted bun and while the back always looks nice and shiny, the front is always straight and dull once dry.

Yesterday I made some flax seed gel. It was the weirdest thing I've made to date. But it left my hair shiny and slick and is holding my hair down like no other while also leaving it moisturized unlike gels I've used in the past.

Top of my hair before:
View attachment 400507

After:
View attachment 400509

Now the top matches the back! LOL (the bun picture is old but that's what the bun/back of my head looks like normally)
View attachment 400505

I only made 3 ounces of gel and used half on this style. I'll use the other half on Sunday when I wash again.

View attachment 400511

:yep:

Niiiiiice.

How do you make this gel? :smile:

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
:yep:

Niiiiiice.

How do you make this gel? :smile:

I boiled 2 tablespoons of flaxseeds in one cup of water for around 5 minutes. You do need to kind of stay and watch it because the flax seeds tend to stick to the bottom of the pan. So you wanna give it a stir every now and again.
Let cool and strain. That was the weird part. (The texture is slimy and just weird to me) I strained it through an old dress sock.