Hip Tbl & Beyond Challenge 2018

AgeinATL

I'd like to join even though I'm not even WL yet.

Current length: BSL

Regimen:
I wash/DC every 1 to 2 weeks. Protein treat once a month or when needed. I'm very minimal when it comes to styles. I wear 2 strand twists and pin them up until next wash day. I will spray my hair every other day with a mouisturizibg spritz and seal my ends with butter/oil. I spritz my scalp with NW21 a few days a week. Started incorporating Henna Gloss into my regimen and will be doing them every 4 weeks or so.

Exact goal length:
WL or HL
( with my shrinkage.. probably longer :look:)

Plans to help you achieve your goal:
Inversion
NW21
Low Manipulation
Keep ends protected
Dust as needed

List any vitamins/supplements you are taking:
Prenatal vitamins, Marine Collagen, and might start Manetabolism.

Your ends care regimen to keep them healthy:
I seal them with a heavy butter/oil
I dust/trim as needed

Trimming/Dusting/S&D'ing schedule/routine:
I will dust every 3 months or when I feel/see knots. Trim as needed.

Top 10 products:
APB Refresher Spray
Bekekoa Be Clean Cleansing Conditioner
Redken Cleansing Cream
Nexxus Emergencee
NW21 Spray & Cream
APB Pumpkinseed Mask
QB Cocoa Tree Detangling Ghee
QB Amla & Olive Heavy Cream
ST Knot Hair Glide
Tailored Beauty Everything Butter ( for ends)

View attachment 384047

:cloud9::drool:

Your hair is thriving sis!

AgeinATL

I am still going strong and I feel good about reaching HL this year. I still need a good trim. On natural hair it is even more imperative because trying to rake through bad ends causes breakage. Still planning on going to Dontspeakdefeat's salon but I have to wait until the end of the month. She isn't exactly cheap but at least I will feel like I am in good, capable hands. Sometimes that peace of mind is worth the extra money.

AgeinATL

@AgeinATL Thanks! :) I'm trying my best over here.

Oooh lucky that you'll be going to her salon. She's very sweet and knowledgeable about taking care of hair. It's hard finding someone here like that. I could use a break, but until then I'll continue to be a DIY'fer.

Girl, it IS hard finding good stylists. After my mishap with Huetiful Salon, I refused to let anyone else touch my hair so I was excited to see that she offers services outside of weave installs. Thankfully, she isn't far from me but if she wasn't in Atlanta best believe that I'd be on YouTube looking for hair trimming tutorials!

flyygirlll2

Lioness mane
Girl, it IS hard finding good stylists. After my mishap with Huetiful Salon, I refused to let anyone else touch my hair so I was excited to see that she offers services outside of weave installs. Thankfully, she isn't far from me but if she wasn't in Atlanta best believe that I'd be on YouTube looking for hair trimming tutorials!

You'll be in good hands with her. I think it's been about 7 years since I've stepped foot in a salon. YouTube has become my friend over the years though lol. I just wish I could find someone to press my hair cause I really hate the process and results when I've attempted to do it myself.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I am still going strong and I feel good about reaching HL this year. I still need a good trim. On natural hair it is even more imperative because trying to rake through bad ends causes breakage. Still planning on going to Dontspeakdefeat's salon but I have to wait until the end of the month. She isn't exactly cheap but at least I will feel like I am in good, capable hands. Sometimes that peace of mind is worth the extra money.

Trust me: It is 1,000% worth the money to go to the rare good natural stylist you can find.

I have about 7 more days on vacation here in Atlanta. I so wanna go with my niecy to her salon now that I know it's in Atlanta. Where is it at?

YvetteWithJoy

On break

Which Huetiful salon did you go to? And what happened?

I almost went to the Dallas one, but after an INCREDIBLY disappointing, worrisome, and underwhelming analysis that should not have cost a dime given the service, I kindly cancelled the post-analysis appointment they made for me. I should not have known more than them. They refused to wet my hair despite claiming to need to do so before being able to get information about my hair. They said they don't wet hair until you purchase a service. Why sell an analysis, then?

AgeinATL

Trust me: It is 1,000% worth the money to go to the rare good natural stylist you can find.

I have about 7 more days on vacation here in Atlanta. I so wanna go with my niecy to her salon now that I know it's in Atlanta. Where is it at?

She is located in Douglasville, a city about 30 minutes west of downtown: http://www.tamikabell.com/

I'm not sure if you'll be able to schedule something so quickly, but I definitely would give it a try since you are here!

AgeinATL

You'll be in good hands with her. I think it's been about 7 years since I've stepped foot in a salon. YouTube has become my friend over the years though lol. I just wish I could find someone to press my hair cause I really hate the process and results when I've attempted to do it myself.

Girl, this. I have yet to try it on my own hair but I already know that it will be a long process. If I spend all day on my hair, it better come out right. I learn by seeing. That is how I learned how to take care of my relaxed hair. I would go to the salon, watch what they do and use, and copy the steps when I got home. I would sometimes have to tweak a step here and there but I got it eventually and I saved a LOT of money. But like you said, sometimes you just want to have someone else tackle your hair! I hope that you find someone sis! If you don't mind my asking, where are you located? You can DM me if you want.

AgeinATL

Which Huetiful salon did you go to? And what happened?

I almost went to the Dallas one, but after an INCREDIBLY disappointing, worrisome, and underwhelming analysis that should not have cost a dime given the service, I kindly cancelled the post-analysis appointment they made for me. I should not have known more than them. They refused to wet my hair despite claiming to need to do so before being able to get information about my hair. They said they don't wet hair until you purchase a service. Why sell an analysis, then?

My experience is documented here: https://longhaircareforum.com/threads/natural-hair-salons-in-atlanta.482934/page-2

Go with your gut and avoid that salon. I have heard that the only good salon is the one in Chicago.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Hi, all! :wave:

How is everyone doing in the stress management department?
  1. Do you know the difference between normal stress and unhealthy stress?
  2. Do you permit yourself to make mistakes, have redos, be imperfect? Do you baby step things when prudent? Are you okay with being a work in progress?
  3. How do you unwind? Do you relax AND rejuvenate? Often enough? If not, how can you get enough relaxation time? Remember: God modeled resting. Resting is different from being lazy. Resting is healthy and necessary.
  4. Do you delegate enough? Do you partner enough? Do you allow "good" to suffice if "great" can be foregone?
  5. What/who fuels you? What/who depletes you?
  6. Are there any simple tweaks you can make to make your day less stressful?

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
That is an awesome topic! @YvetteWithJoy
I have nicknamed stress the "hair killer" and it is a big reason why I listed it in the OP as something to get under control before committing to grow to longer lengths. When you stress, your body literally goes into survival mode and it's only mission is to protect your vital organs. It does not care about a single hair coming from your scalp and will release it. Almost like how the trees go into survival mode in the fall to prepare for the harsh winter. It sucks all the nutrients and oxygen from the leaves back into the base of the tree to allow the roots to survive. The leaves die and fall...the same will apply to your hair. (Nature is such a beautiful teacher huh?)

I think the first step in effectively managing stress is knowing yourself. Spending time alone and learning your triggers. Learning things like: what brings you joy, what gives you goosebumps, what inspires you, what moves you? On the other hand...what gives you the screw face, who are the people that you just can't look in the eyes, what brings negative energy, who/what gives your body discomfort?

On a more personal note:
Things that move me and bring me joy: Aromatherapy, Nature, Music, Meditation/Prayer, Intimacy with the people in my Household
Things that cause me discomfort:
Drama, Clutter/Excess, Negative Energy/People, Traffic :lachen:(Petty but it's the truth) Not being free to be 100% me.

So I focus more on being in the joy than the discomfort.

Of course, stress can't totally be avoided at times, so when I am faced with it; I have 2 prayers that I may pray. The first is a simple one-worded prayer but the most effective. Help!
The second is the Serenity Prayer: God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference.

Or I mediate on this:
Be still and know that I am God.

Or I ask my husband to Gimme 5. He knows that means I need to disconnect for 5 minutes and connect elsewhere. Usually that's outside in Nature. Instant mood changer.

I'm also a member of a spa. I get a monthly massage and free access to the Sauna as well as an oxygen bar. I take full advantage.

Water relaxes me. Bath soaks or steam filled showers.

I try and take some time daily just for me. No husband, no kids, no outside demands. I deserve that and I don't feel bad about executing that right. ;)

YvetteWithJoy

On break
That is an awesome topic! @YvetteWithJoy
I have nicknamed stress the "hair killer" and it is a big reason why I listed it in the OP as something to get under control before committing to grow to longer lengths. When you stress, your body literally goes into survival mode and it's only mission is to protect your vital organs. It does not care about a single hair coming from your scalp and will release it. Almost like how the trees go into survival mode in the fall to prepare for the harsh winter. It sucks all the nutrients and oxygen from the leaves back into the base of the tree to allow the roots to survive. The leaves die and fall...the same will apply to your hair. (Nature is such a beautiful teacher huh?)

I think the first step in effectively managing stress is knowing yourself. Spending time alone and learning your triggers. Learning things like: what brings you joy, what gives you goosebumps, what inspires you, what moves you? On the other hand...what gives you the screw face, who are the people that you just can't look in the eyes, what brings negative energy, who/what gives your body discomfort?

On a more personal note:
Things that move me and bring me joy: Aromatherapy, Nature, Music, Meditation/Prayer, Intimacy with the people in my Household
Things that cause me discomfort:
Drama, Clutter/Excess, Negative Energy/People, Traffic :lachen:(Petty but it's the truth) Not being free to be 100% me.

So I focus more on being in the joy than the discomfort.

Of course, stress can't totally be avoided at times, so when I am faced with it; I have 2 prayers that I may pray. The first is a simple one-worded prayer but the most effective. Help!
The second is the Serenity Prayer: God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference.

Or I mediate on this:
Be still and know that I am God.

Or I ask my husband to Gimme 5. He knows that means I need to disconnect for 5 minutes and connect elsewhere. Usually that's outside in Nature. Instant mood changer.

I'm also a member of a spa. I get a monthly massage and free access to the Sauna as well as an oxygen bar. I take full advantage.

Water relaxes me. Bath soaks or steam filled showers.

I try and take some time daily just for me. No husband, no kids, no outside demands. I deserve that and I don't feel bad about executing that right. ;)

I love this post so much, @lulu97.

I'm tapping on my phone so I can't reply in full/kind like I'd want, but when I get to Wi-Fi either on this trip or once I get back home I'll try to remember to share affirmations and such that really help me.

I love your short prayer "Help." Love!

I, too, get GREAT benefit from employing the Serenity prayer. You gotta check out the FULL, LONG version of it: So peace-instilling. If I recall correctly, googling for it and clicking the Wikipedia link about the Serenity prayer should lead you to the full, complete Serenity prayer.

The main source of my stress is the unhealthy family members in my life. They are loving but extremely underdeveloped and thus unhealthy.

My best stress reducers:
  • Sirius channel 128, Joel Osteen. People either make Christianity weird or make it about our betterment, and I feel Joel highlights the latter. The stress and worry and spirit of battling just melt away when I keep the channel a major part of what I'm feeding my mind.
  • Alone time, especially just driving and singing or listening to music, browsing Sprouts, etc.
  • Affirmations. The words we recite and rely affect how we approach life and people and tasks.
  • Particular scriptures. For example, Psalm 27 is great. There are lots of others.
Yes, water! :yep:

Last edited:

caliscurls

I love this thread!

Stress did a number on my hair in the first half of 2016 so I'm embracing peace of mind in 2017. Things are bound to happen but it's all about perspective and managing through it in a healthy manner. Fitness and deliberate mindfulness are my top destressors. I deliberately take stock of blessings in my life daily and find reasons to smile and laugh. Today for example I'm reflecting on how nice the holiday season has been just to relax and enjoy my family. It's a cloudy but beautiful day. I'm enjoying the serenity of my cup of coffee and snugly blanket before I get up and workout. Appreciate the little things in life, seriously. Those little things add up. Find reasons to be genuinely joyful. It may sound corny but it's true!! Peace of mind is about managing your state of mind. Journaling about those little things also helps.

I feel like my hair needs some extra TLC with this cold weather so last night I detangled and pre-poo'ed with my EVCO mix. I love how soft my hair feels in the morning when I do this! This morning I washed and then deep conditioned, using a little bekura YAM Nectar over the DC. Let it marinate for an hour under a baggy and wool hat then air dried for 20 min in a tshirt after rinsing with cold water.

Mission Moisturize accomplished! With twists still in I emulsified some of 22nd Century Woman's DC in my hands and used it as a leave in. Normally I don't use a leave in but again this cold weather coupled with the dry air in my house needs to be combated. Now my roughly 18 chunky twists are looking lusciously healthy as they air dry in a pony tail. They'll be wound up into a bun before I workout.

Edit: this is the first time I've used 22nd Century Womans DC. It seems fairly oily so using it as a leave in right now should work superbly.

caliscurls

I have had too little water and too much Pepsi. But I am not ashamed. :look: .
Lol! You know I feel the same way about all the junk I've had in the past 2 weeks. Normally my diet is very healthy so I've enjoyed every bite of peach cobbler, ice cream, jelly beans, mac n cheese, sweet potato pie, and peppermint bark :drunk:

Now it's time for me to get back to my normal. I figure I'm good most of the time so when I'm "bad" there's no point in feeling guilty about it, just enjoy it

Daina

I'm almost cracking y'all. :lachen: I'm in the middle of re-do'ing my mini braids in the back and pulled a section in a row right above the nape to check the length. My thumb is where my tailbone starts (or where I believe it starts). I've honestly been confused since waist. :spinning:

View attachment 384081

And yes I know I look rough. I've been at home fooling with these mini braids all day and have only been able to finish 3 rows. I'll do the rest as the week goes by and give you guys my mini braids length check soon.

@lulu97, you go sis!!!!!:bdance:You are going to be crack length in no time, you are already kissing it! Your hair looks fuller as well when I look at your comparison pics.

Daina

Current length:
WHIP

Regimen:
Cleanse, DC, and set via Roller Set or Braid Out Bi-Weekly.

Exact goal length:
Booty-Crack and beyond :giggle:

Plans to help you achieve your goal:
Stay the Course! :yep:
#TEAMLOWMANIPULATION

List any vitamins/supplements you are taking:
Swanson's Bamboo Extract 300 mg, Natures Bounty Fish Oil 1400mg, Citrical Maximum Defense, One a Day Women's Multi, Evening Primrose 1300 mg

Your ends care regimen to keep them healthy:
They're always well lubed and protected.

Trimming/Dusting/S&D'ing schedule/routine:
I dust and/or trim quarterly.

Top 10 products:
-Various EVCO based Pre-Poo
-SE Scalp Pre-Cleanse

-Joico K-P@k Clarifying Poo
-Ker@care 1st Lather and Detangling Poo
-LRC Shake & Go
-It's a 10 LI
-Mizani H2O Intense Overnight Rx
-Homemade DRC 28
-Various DC's
-Various Leave Ins, Creams and buttas

Pic taken today, after a fresh set:

@MileHighDiva, your hair is simply delicious!:drool:

beauti

First dc of the new year happened last night! I used mielle organics babassu mint dc under my pibbs for 25 minutes and my hair was BOMB afterwards! I honestly could have skipped the whole moisturizing step but I didn't. AND I finger detangled with no breakage. This dc is a keeper. Here's a pic of my hair after moisturizing. Don't mind my son's head in the frame :babyb:

photoedit_1483409001646.jpg

YvetteWithJoy

On break
First dc of the new year happened last night! I used mielle organics babassu mint dc under my pibbs for 25 minutes and my hair was BOMB afterwards! I honestly could have skipped the whole moisturizing step but I didn't. AND I finger detangled with no breakage. This dc is a keeper. Here's a pic of my hair after moisturizing. Don't mind my son's head in the frame :babyb:

View attachment 384463

That's a great DC right there!

OMG, y'all are SO tempting me! I have a very short list of new-to-me products I've allowed myself to purchase this year!!!

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
I have had too little water and too much Pepsi. But I am not ashamed. :look: I think I'm going to do a full wash day tomorrow. I've been inspired by @lulu97 to try mini twists or braids but my hair us fine and I think they'll unravel quickly...plus I'm lazy.

I've killed 2 bags of mini turtles chocolate over the last week. Sorry not sorry. :lachen:Sometimes you just need a break from the norm.

I had the same worries about the braids unraveling but they hold up really well even through washing.
If you decide to do it...(especially since we have longer lengths), my top tip would be to take your time and transition into the braids. For example on wash day, maybe only do 20 big braids to start with. Break them down as you have time into smaller braids. No need to rush if you plan on keeping them in for a while. I'm almost 3 months in and still breaking sections down. :lachen:

I plan to do the same when it gets closer to the time to take them out. On a re-braid day, I'll turn 3 or 4 mini braids into 1. And just keep increasing that number over my re-braid sessions until they are big enough to just take them all down in one sitting.

Hope all of this makes sense.:look: