Hip Tbl & Beyond Challenge 2018

long.hair.dont.care

Thanks, @lulu97. That is so kind!

I will definitely share once I get to a Wi-Fi connection and can link the few products I use.

I have sensitive/problem skin. I also have very dark circles under my eyes. I keep my skin regimen pretty simple. In the photo I am wearing a very thin layer of Shea Moisture tinted lotion. I looooove that stuff.

I'll post my cleansing, exfoliating, toning, and moisturizing routine when I have internet.

Thank you again for the compliment. My skin challenges have made me self conscious, and in my 40s I'm finally learning to relax and feel alright about it. :smile:

My mouth actually dropped in reference to whats bold, and then I scrolled up to pic in confusion haha.
That face and that hair gorgeous!!

long.hair.dont.care

I like this mini challenge idea!

1. I'm not much of a salad eater, but i'll try - not making any promises.

2. I've always wanted to do this, especially because I want to see if cardio increases my hair growth. I never held myself accountable, but now I will.

3. I'll be protective styling as of January 2017.

Also, I never added a starting picture. So, finally, here it is:
IMG_20161225_182924.jpg

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I like this mini challenge idea!

1. I'm not much of a salad eater, but i'll try - not making any promises.

2. I've always wanted to do this, especially because I want to see if cardio increases my hair growth. I never held myself accountable, but now I will.

3. I'll be protective styling as of January 2017.

Also, I never added a starting picture. So, finally, here it is:
View attachment 383459

Beautiful hair. You guys' length!

This salad could win you over:
1. 50/50 blend of spinach and spring mix
2. Nuts of choice: E.g., pecan pieces
3. Mandarin orange slices (from those fruit cups, to make prep easy)
4. Diced honeycrisp apple
5. Sweet grape or cherry tomatoes
6. grilled protein of choice: salmon, chicken chunks or strips, or turkey chunks, etc.

7. A tiny bit of dressing of choice: I do light Olive Garden Italian dressing. So glad it's purchasable from stores.

Happiness and health in a bowl! In the summer, strawberries added make it even better!

(enlarges upon click)
WP_20161226_002.jpg

Last edited:

caliscurls

Mini challenge check in:
1. Salad - had a Cobb salad Saturday and have been doing good to get one in every 2 to 3 days.
2. Workouts: still on point, worked out 5 days last week. Took the weekend off and then had a nice long workout this morning.
3. Protective styles: still rocking these large twists and have just moved them in to a bun.

With the cold weather and holiday vacation I noticed my water consumption has slipped so I'm making a point to get back on top of it starting today.

Damaris.Elle

Mini challenge check-in:
1. I had my green smoothie for breakfast for 4 days this week...going to try to drink it consistently for breakfast every day.
2. I worked out 4 times this past week- 1 day of Zumba, 2 days of Body Pump, 1 day of general gym equipment (30 minutes cardio, 30 minutes of weight training).
3. I wore a high bun for 6 days last week.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
@beauti Great starting picture! Did you flat iron yourself?

@YvetteWithJoy You are so pretty and have some beautiful skin. Care to share your routine?

Photos attached below, but first, if you want to skip all of the detail below, here is simply the list of products for my morning routine, night routine, and makeup routine:

Facelift in a Bar by JLexiLLC at Etsy.com, Dove bar soap, SM Coconut & Hibiscus Spot Correcting Serum, It Cosmetics CC + Eye Color Correcting Cream, SM Coconut & Hibiscus Moisturizer, DERMA*E Anti-Wrinkle Scrub, DERMA*E Anti-Wrinkle Toner, NurCreations Egyptian All Purpose Skin Cream (not always available, is a replica of Egyptian Magic) . . . however, replace all cleansers and toners with SM's African Black soap bar, scrub, and toner if my skin is not clear. Makeup: SM CC Cream, Black Radiance Soft Focus Finishing Powder; CoverGirl Perfect Point Plus Espresso eye pencil #210 as lip pencil; Mineral Fusion Sheer Moisture Lip Tint in Adorn; mascara; Revlon Eyes, Cheeks, and Lips palette in Berry in Love

----------------------------------​

Details and links:

My Everyday Skin Care Routine:
Morning Skin Care Routine:
  1. Cleanse with Facelift in a Bar facial soap by JLexiLLC (Etsy.com) [smells like old potatoes and vinegar; I cut it into fourths and one bar lasts forever] . . . or Dove if I'm out. Either way, let the soap sit on the face while I brush my teeth, floss, and gargle and all. NOTE: I don't really know how great the Facelift in a Bar soap is yet . . . It's supposed to supply nutrients and skin food to the face, but Dove does great in terms of keeping my skin in great condition. I don't feel the need to have the Facelift in a Bar if I use Dove, but I'm trying to "up my game" a little bit as I age and supply nutrients to my skin.
  2. Steam cleansed face in shower via shower steam.
  3. Dark spot correct with Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Spot Correcting Serum (I feel I could skip this, but it makes me feel better :lol:)
  4. Treat and cover discoloration under eye and around mouth: It Cosmetics CC + Eye Color Correcting Full Coverage Cream + Anti-Aging Hydrating Serum (I just started this a week or so ago, and I feel it's really helping the under eye area, but it could be my increased healthy fats intake). IMPORTANT: This does not blend and requires tinted moisturizer or foundation over it, so only use if you will apply coverage later.
  5. Moisturize with Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Radiance Moisturizer
Night Skin Care Routine:
  1. Cleanse/exfoliate with DERMA*E Anti-wrinkle Scrub (for the past 4 weeks; previously I used St. Ives Even and Bright scrub)
  2. Tone with DERMA*E Anti-wrinkle Toner (for the past 4 weeks; previously I used Oil of Olay toner)
  3. Either let my skin breathe (i.e., apply NOTHING) . . . or apply a SUPER THIN layer of Nurcreation's (Etsy.com) Egyptian All Purpose Skin Cream. This is a much less costly replica of Egyptian Magic. I don't see it currently available in the shop.
Regarding the DERMA*E: There may be better (higher end) scrubs and toners, but it's non-toxic, the scrub grains are the perfect size for me, and it contains the all-important ingredient (for my skin) of glycolic acid. So far I don't need a higher concentration or more expensive product.

My Skin Care Routine when My Skin Is Not Clear:
  • replace soaps and toners above with Shea Moisture African black soap facial bar, scrub, and toner

My Minimalist Makeup Routine:
  1. Apply super thin layer of Shea Moisture CC Cream (in medium). This is a tinted moisturizer that I love better than any foundation I've ever used. This obtains a very dewy coverage, and this product builds (yay!) for as much coverage as you want.
  2. Because the CC cream gets shiny over time, apply either a tint-less finishing powder or a very tiny amount of Black Radiance Soft Focus Finishing Powder (I've only been using the latter for a week or so, and I really like it)
  3. Apply lip liner . . . CoverGirl Perfect Point Plus Espresso eye pencil, #210
  4. Apply lip color . . . lately this has been Mineral Fusion Sheer Moisture Lip Tint in Adorn (sooooooo creamy and moisturizing! Yum!); blending in more or less lip liner allows the color to go from a kind of DARK terra cotta color to a deep brick red to brown with a hint of purple
  5. If I need to get fancy, I'll apply mascara and play around with the Revlon Eyes, Cheeks, and Lips in Berry in Love, but I'm looking for another color palette

Attachments

• WP_20161227_002.jpg
    WP_20161227_002.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 64
  • WP_20161227_003.jpg
    WP_20161227_003.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

assiyrabomb

Ok so I got my juicer for Christmas and have been juicing daily since Sunday. Today I made a mix with kale, cucumber, carrots and an apple for breakfast. I can honestly say that I have so much energy. So much so that I haven't had a coffee today and I'm someone that drinks a cup daily from Monday-Friday. Although the mixes taste good (because of the sweetness in the apple), I can't get over the smell of kale so I'll buy some lettuce or spinach tonight to try instead.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
@lulu97, how did you like the Clairol hair color? How does it compare to the SM jet black?

@Daina So far so good. The Clairol was easy to apply. My hair processes chemicals rapidly so I only left it on for 10 minutes. My hair accepted the color well because when I rinsed and washed, hardley any color came out.

My only issue with the Shea Moisture color system is that it fades from my hair after a few months. I mean if I'm gonna color my hair jet black with permanent color, I want it to be black-ity Black Black.... and stay that way forever. If I wanted a temporary color, I woulda used a semi or demi permanent color. :fistshake: I've been using a color protecting sulfate free shampoo by Joico for a while now and it did not help the Shea Moisture color stick around either.

So over the next few months, I'm really going to pay attention to the Clairol color and if it fades or not and I'll let you know. I don't plan on coloring my hair again until the end of next year so if it has faded then I want to try a permanent black by Joico.

To be far to SM, I used to wash my hair way more then what I do now. I went from once a week to now every 2-3 weeks. I do plan on revisiting SM in the future now that I have a totally different routine.

How are you feeling about the Shea Moisture color system? Has it faded any for you?

Daina

@lulu97, that makes sense and I agree with you. The first time I used it, I got no fading and grays didn't start peeking through again for 4 1/2 months and that's with washing weekly. I just reapplied in November and 3 weeks later the grays were back. The only thing different in my routine was I added Xcel 21 in October. I don't know if that is the culprit or not but it's the only thing that's different and I've noticed some dulling of the color this month.

Hopefully I just got a bad batch and I am going to recolor in February with SM to see how it performs. Definitely keep me posted on the Clairol and let me know if you see any issues with the Xcel 21 also.

KinksAndInk

Professional Napper
@lulu97 I haven't had any issues with the SM color. But I use lighter colors, light golden blonde and more recently bright auburn. My mom uses the jet black and has no complaints about fading. Her hair grows fairly quickly so we color every 3-4 months because she refuses to have too many gray roots. She'd probably color every time a gray hair poked through if I let her :rolleyes:

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
@Daina @KinksAndInk Which shampoos are you/your mom using?

The next time I go hair product shopping when my current products run out, (which probably wont be until the summer) I'm thinking about switching back to Elucence for my shampoo choices.

I was also looking for reviews on the Joico color system and came across a video that the GlamTwins made on their coloring routine and they mentioned having to redo their entire head once a year to keep their color fresh. So I'm assuming that some fading is normal no matter the brand. I'm still going to test out Joico for my next coloring session though. @Daina I'll keep you updated.

KinksAndInk

Professional Napper
@lulu97 I use redken cleansing cream or Hask bamboo oil strengthening shampoo. During the summer, when I first colored my hair red, I cowashed every other day with whatever I grabbed from the closet for the first 2 weeks then went back to my daily cowashing until fall. Still no fading.

My mom uses Shea moisture poo, either raw shea butter, coconut water fusion (or whatever it's called) or the curl and shine.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I have been struggling with my water intake (and clean eating). I think a trip to the grocery store will get me back on track. I plan on doing some cardio today too before I wash my hair.20161221_225841.jpg
Starting pic is from last Wednesday after a bkt and trim. I'm layered bsl, but I'm trying to grow out layers before I get to mbl.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
I have been struggling with my water intake (and clean eating). I think a trip to the grocery store will get me back on track. I plan on doing some cardio today too before I wash my hair.View attachment 383667
Starting pic is from last Wednesday after a bkt and trim. I'm layered bsl, but I'm trying to grow out layers before I get to mbl.

@Prettymetty I buy these for my kids when they want something other than water. It's sugar/carb free and makes them feel like they are drinking "juice".
IMG_2222.JPG

I started out adding 2 packs to a gallon of water and now I only add 1 pack. They are actually pretty good and come in all kind of flavors. It's a really easy way to keep your water intake up without feeling like you're only just drinking water.

Your hair looks so pretty!

I focused all last year on growing out my layers. I maintained the length at hip and didn't trim my layers (area framing my face) at all. In hindsight, I really don't think it was worth it. I would have probably been classic length by now had I just allowed all areas to grow at it's normal rate. If your goal overall is to gain length in the long run, I'd just let everything grow and flow as it normally does. That's just my humble opinion though!

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Ending the year off with a 1/2 inch trim.

Before:
IMG_2251.JPG
After:

IMG_2252.JPG
Same section moisturized and lubed up!

IMG_2256.JPG

I only trimmed the front half of my hair. After evaluating the back, it simply didn't need it.

For 2017, I'll trim knots and splits as I get them as I had quite a few this go round. Stupid SSK's!!

IMG_2259.JPG
Can't remember the last time I trimmed...I think it was this past summer.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Mini challenge update!

1. I'll get my cardio in early Saturday morning. I've been craving to go on a nice run but it's been raining here.

2. I've prepped for the next 7 days. I'll do a green smoothie for breakfast with added chia seeds. For my greens, I did 1 cup each of collards, kale & spinach. I'll eat 3 whole eggs for lunch, peanuts/cashews for snacks and I'll squeeze in a salad once for dinner....any other meal for dinner will be lean protein and veggies. (dinner not shown)
Water and herbal tea always.

IMG_2247.JPG

3. I protected my ends 6 days out of the week.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Thanks for the water tip @lulu97! And you are right about the layers. If I just let my hair growth naturally, I'll meet my length goals much quicker.

If hot tea counts towards my water intake then I'll be ok. I love tea

Yes hot tea counts! It's how I get the bulk of my water in. I drink around 5-6 cups a day of herbal tea in a 12 ounce tea cup. I only drink regular water when I'm eating a meal.

dannie85

So, I ended up having to cut off about an inch or so from my hair and layers about a week ago. Straightened it for my anniversary two weeks ago :couple: (11yrs woohoo!!) since hubby loves seeing the length. Was so excited when I was done straightening to see it was almost touching tailbone. If I just tilted my head back just a little, I'd be there but I was still actually a couple inches away. I don't think I used enough heat protectant:oops:. THEN, towards end of week noticed my ends and edges felt fried:eek:, so the cutting began.

I'm gonna have to really make it up to my hair over the next few months. She is still pissed at me right now, so gonna wine and dine her to her hearts content. I might even add challenge #3 to my regimen (which I wasn't going to do), just to make it right. Lesson learned.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
So, I ended up having to cut off about an inch or so from my hair and layers about a week ago. Straightened it for my anniversary two weeks ago :couple: (11yrs woohoo!!) since hubby loves seeing the length. Was so excited when I was done straightening to see it was almost touching tailbone. If I just tilted my head back just a little, I'd be there but I was still actually a couple inches away. I don't think I used enough heat protectant:oops:. THEN, towards end of week noticed my ends and edges felt fried:eek:, so the cutting began.

I'm gonna have to really make it up to my hair over the next few months. She is still pissed at me right now, so gonna wine and dine her to her hearts content. I might even add challenge #3 to my regimen (which I wasn't going to do), just to make it right. Lesson learned.

@dannie85 Happy Belated Anniversary!

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Did my last wash of 2016. Gave my hair a spa day.

Washed and did a protein treatment. Steamed in the last bit of my Joico MR balm. I'll repurchase whenever I take out my mini braids because it's a must for my braidouts! I can live with just using the Joico MR rinse out conditioner as a deep conditioner since I prefer that for my roller sets anyway....plus I have a few liters of it :drunk:

I roller set to stretch then cross wrapped my mini braids for the evening. I need to re-tighten a few rows in the back over the next week as I seemed to have gotten a growth spurt back there.

I set 2 reminders in my phone. The first one reminding me to wash every 2 weeks. The second alarm is to remind me to give myself a spa day including a steam treatment every 2 months. I'm claiming 2017 as my year of consistency. I'mma just gone head and set myself up for success! :toocool:

Daina

I've completed all the pre-work! Been working on my overall body and hair health since late last year.

Current length: MBL pic in previous post
Regimen: Co-cleanse and DC weekly with heat or steam. Shampoo once per month; protein(Komaza) or Aphogee 2-minute reconstructor every 2 weeks. Aphogee 2 step every 12 weeks. Styling is braid/twist outs 2 weeks per month. Bun or french braid 2 weeks per month. Only flat iron 3-4 times per year. This year will be 3. Moisturize and seal multiple times per week.

Exact goal length: Between WL and HL

Plans to help you achieve your goal: Continue current regimen, tweaking products seasonally as needed.

List any vitamins/supplements you are taking: Hair La Vie vitamins, Chlorella, Spirulina, Vit D, Omega 3. Growth aid's are Xcel 21, scalp oil mix of EVOO, JBCO and pepermint oil

Your ends care regimen to keep them healthy:

Trimming/Dusting/S&D'ing schedule/routine: Only trim as needed about 2-3 times per year. I don't trim on a schedule but as my hair needs it

Top Ten Products:
Aussie Moist 3 minute miracle
Komaza Pona hair and scalp treatment
Komaza Protein Stengthener
CRN almond jai twisting butter
CRN curl maker gel
Komaza strengthening oil for ends
Joico Moisture Recovery Balm
Macadamia Natural Oil deep conditioner
Vatika Black Seed hair masque
Olaplex
Wen 613
The biggest game changer for me was going to a limited almost no heat regimen. Going to Dominican salons severely damaged and thinned my hair. I've been natural 9 years but was a straight haired natural for most of that time. I love my curls and my hair has really thrived. Getting a Komaza hair analysis was also a game changer. Most of all I've learned patience with lots of prayer. My hair will get to the length it's supposed to when it's supposed to...no sooner no later. There are times I miss my length so when I do I straighten. I don't fear heat I've just learned to use it wisely and with lots of protection.

Looking forward to learning and growing with you ladies!

Hi Ladies here is my official starting pic to go along with my stats. I am still in between MBL and WL but I'be gotten growth since my original pic and have trimmed about an inch. Happy New Year All!

Attachments

• 20161231_074258.jpg
    20161231_074258.jpg
    504.7 KB · Views: 54
  • 20161231_074106.jpg
    20161231_074106.jpg
    576.9 KB · Views: 49

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Hi Ladies here is my official starting pic to go along with my stats. I am still in between MBL and WL but I'be gotten growth since my original pic and have trimmed about an inch. Happy New Year All!

Nice. :smile:

Where did you get your shirt from?

:cry3: Y'all, I have short hair. I'm different than errbody else here. I don't even need that shirt yet. This is one of my favorite threads/groups, though, so I'm going hang in here, even if my hair isn't. Sniffle. :smile:

Happy New Years, all!

Last edited: