Hip Tbl & Beyond Challenge 2018

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Doing good on the mini challenge!

Got my cardio in.

Eating was on point this week. I had a salad, 4 smoothies, veggie soup and only ate lean meat (chicken and salmon). Restocked yesterday for the upcoming week. I purchased a pound of kale, 9 ounces of spinach, a small container of blueberries and 6 ounces of chia seeds. My love runs deep for all things leafy greens!

IMG_2124.JPG

Hair:
I took my mini braids down in the front to color it. Used a new to me brand...it tuned it out good.

IMG_2046.JPG

After washing out the color, I roller set to stretch.

IMG_2052.JPG

Re-braided it with a deep side part and put my hair back in a big braid to wear for the next 2 weeks.

IMG_2096.JPG

I don't mind that there is a difference between the jet black color and my regular dark brown color at the crown and back. I only plan on wearing my hair up for the next year in mini braids so it's not a big deal. Once it's in a big braid it's not noticeable at all.

IMG_2118.JPG

I'll get one more wash in before the end of the year and do a mini braid length check. They are grazing waist. My goal for next year is to get them to my hips. Woo-hoo! Let's go Ladies!

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I just stocked up for the week as well. Feeling such gratitude to have access to healthy foods.

(Enlarges upon click)
7DayCabbageDietSoup_FruitDayPrep1.png

I've got pineapples, grapefruit, cherries, apples, watermelon, blueberries, cabbage soup, and dried fruit (coconut, apricot, etc.) for the day.

I'm on day 2 of the 7-Day Cabbage Soup Diet as shared at Divas Can Cook. Day One was supposed to be FRUIT and the soup . . . and Day Two was supposed to be VEGETABLES and the soup. I reversed them.

I'm not into fad-like or fast diets such as this, but I'm loving this soup! It makes it easy to get lots of veggies and lean protein in. The soup is perfect for adding lean ground beef, salmon, or chicken. You can add whatever veggies you like. I prepare the soup at the beginning of the week and use it all week. It's keeping me from cheating to have this easy option!

So far today I've had:
1. my morning ACV, lemon, honey, ginger, cinnamon, and collagen drink,
2. dried apricots,

and I'm now having a watermelon, almond milk, and honeycrisp apple smoothie that contains the one sample packet of Maximum Vibrance I'm trialing.

(Enlarges upon click)
7DayCabbageDietSoup_MyFruitDayBreakfast.png

I won't discuss hair just yet! I'm potty training my youngest and the oldest is off the chain today. :laugh: I hope to put twists in at SOME point today! :smile:

YvetteWithJoy

On break
@YvetteWithJoy thanks for posting the Paleo "bread" recipe. During this time of year especially I find myself craving bread or toast but I really try to eat as little bread, crackers, etc as possible. I love the taste of coconut so I can't wait to try this.

You're more than welcome!

I forget to note that the rounds can be made in those 4-inch-diameter, super low (short) cupcake papers that can go in the oven alone (without having to be on a baking sheet). I've seen them at Target, I believe.

The first time I did the Whole30 / Paleo thing, I could not BELIEVE they wanted us to NOT eat bread. I mean, besides the issue of cravings, I'm not into lettuce as a hamburger bun. :look: I eat hamburgers and sandwiches. Practically, I need bread!

I tried tons and tons of so-called yummy non-bread "bread" recipes, and was so unhappy with most of them. :lol: HalleLUJAH I finally found this one.

Eventually I'll play around with it and try adding nutritional yeast. Please let me know what you think of them, if you do try them!

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Hi, all! I hope everybody's having a great weekend. It's FREEZING here in Dallas! I hear the East Coast got some super cold weather, too.

Phew! Challenging hair weekend! On the other hand, food/eating has been awesome. Pictures to go along with the details below are at the end of this post.

Details about my hair issues and my tactics (ACV rinse tried for the first time, Jakeala products tried for the first time, etc.) are here: https://blossomingfitnatural.com/20...ling-using-jakeala-and-soultanicals-products/

I still have water to drink, vitamins to take, and exercise to do! My hair took ALL DAY!!!
I haven’t had my detox drink nor my iron or multivitamin. I’ll remedy that now.

The kiddos have returned from their grandparents, so I will grab the oldest and we’ll exercise together. He will get a FIT out of doing a dumbbell routine with me. :smile: Kids!

Take care, everyone!

NOTE: Photos become a slide show and enlarge upon click

WP_20161217_066.jpg WP_20161217_080.jpg WP_20161218_012.jpg WP_20161218_056.jpg WP_20161218_053.jpg WP_20161217_083.jpg

Last edited:

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
I'd like to join this challenge.

Current length: MBL.

Regimen: 1-2x a week, scalp exfoliation, shampoo, steam DC. protein 1x monthly.

Exact goal length: HL

Plans to help you achieve your goal: Exercise, healthier diet, supplements, and protective styles

List any vitamins/supplements you are taking: Prenatal multi, hair skin nail, fish oil, bamboo.

Your ends care regimen to keep them healthy: keep them off my shoulders or tucked in.

Trimming/Dusting/S&D'ing schedule/routine: I will trim in January and July.

Top 10 products:
  1. Ion Hard Water shampoo
  2. GVP Nexxus Humectress Conditioner
  3. Olive, Coconut, and Avocado oils
  4. ITDF Olive Conditioning Pomade
  5. Aloe vera juice and gel
  6. ITDF Marshmallow Moisture Balm

Last edited:

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
I just stocked up for the week as well. Feeling such gratitude to have access to healthy foods.

(Enlarges upon click)
View attachment 382405

I've got pineapples, grapefruit, cherries, apples, watermelon, blueberries, cabbage soup, and dried fruit (coconut, apricot, etc.) for the day.

I'm on day 2 of the 7-Day Cabbage Soup Diet as shared at Divas Can Cook. Day One was supposed to be FRUIT and the soup . . . and Day Two was supposed to be VEGETABLES and the soup. I reversed them.

I'm not into fad-like or fast diets such as this, but I'm loving this soup! It makes it easy to get lots of veggies and lean protein in. The soup is perfect for adding lean ground beef, salmon, or chicken. You can add whatever veggies you like. I prepare the soup at the beginning of the week and use it all week. It's keeping me from cheating to have this easy option!

So far today I've had:
1. my morning ACV, lemon, honey, ginger, cinnamon, and collagen drink,
2. dried apricots,

and I'm now having a watermelon, almond milk, and honeycrisp apple smoothie that contains the one sample packet of Maximum Vibrance I'm trialing.

(Enlarges upon click)
View attachment 382407

I won't discuss hair just yet! I'm potty training my youngest and the oldest is off the chain today. :laugh: I hope to put twists in at SOME point today! :smile:

@YvetteWithJoy I'm potty training my youngest as well. He was doing so good for a while but now he's going through that "I'mma tell you after I've already done what I need to do in my pull-up" phase. I feel like I'm taking him back and forth every 30 minutes so I can beat him to the punch. Well at least I'm getting some cardio in! LOL

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
I'd like to join this challenge.

Current length: BSL

Regimen: 1-2x a week, scalp exfoliation, shampoo, steam DC. protein 1x monthly.

Exact goal length: HL

Plans to help you achieve your goal: Exercise, healthier diet, supplements, and protective styles

List any vitamins/supplements you are taking: Prenatal multi, hair skin nail, fish oil, bamboo.

Your ends care regimen to keep them healthy: keep them off my shoulders or tucked in.

Trimming/Dusting/S&D'ing schedule/routine:
I will trim in January and July.

Top 10 products:
  1. Ion Hard Water shampoo
  2. My Vo5 and oils DC mix
  3. ITDF Olive Conditioning Pomade
  4. Aloe vera juice and gel
  5. ITDF Marshmallow Moisture Balm

@Nightingale Welcome! Welcome! Welcome! :hiya:

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Greetings, all.

Photos of hair and such are below. (I think! I'm having trouble uploading photos.)

Hair today: Highly-gelled twist-out worn in high puff

(Photo enlarges upon click.)
Aviary Photo_131266627507878359.jpg

Health today:
  • I had my detox drink with collagen and now with cod liver oil mixed in.
  • Toward stress reduction, read from the pictured book and reflected on the section I read.
  • I've finished my way through my filtering water bottle once. Detox drink plus water bottle makes about 42 ounces. I need to fill and drink the water bottle once more.
  • Today is Day 4 of the 7-Day Cabbage Soup diet. Only milk and bananas and yogurt and the soup allowed. I had some grilled Chik Fil A nuggets also. :look:
  • For exercise, I did abs work and strength training with weights this morning.

Attachments

• WP_20161219_001.jpg
    WP_20161219_001.jpg
    503 KB · Views: 103
  • WP_20161219_011.jpg
    WP_20161219_011.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 102
  • WP_20161219_010.jpg
    WP_20161219_010.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 105
Last edited:

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Day 5 of the 7-Day Cabbage Soup Diet is here! :clap: Enter protein! :clapping:

So today it's tomatoes and protein (and the cabbage soup of course).

Oh, my GOODness, I don't know why I'm such a meat lover, but because of it I'm so glad there are healthy and lean yet tasty protein choices. I've already had healthy jerky as a snack, and for breakfast I just had teriyaki salmon and eggs two ways (softly scrambled and over medium).

Hubby says I have an "inner big girl" and he loves me thick or thin, either way. Well, inner big girl is dancing today! :giggle: I think later I will have cabbage soup with salmon for dinner. Lunch I'm unsure about. We'll see.

Hair is the same as yesterday.

Now I've got to go be Santa, then I've got to sanitize the house before we go on our two-week vacation sans the kids. (Cabins, here we come!!!)

I hope everyone has a blessed day.

P.S. Car needs 4 tires, brakes, and a host of other things. Boo! Diving in to work this out . . .

Damaris.Elle

I'll do all three!

1. Eat 1 salad a week. You can put anything on it to make it taste to your liking however it must include some form of protein and DARK leafy greens. Not that wimpy iceberg lettuce...I'm talking kale, spinach, chard, arugula etc. The darker the greens, the better!

-I make a smoothie that I drink every morning with kale (or spinach or both), bananas, protein powder, vitamin C powder and Bolthouse Farms Blue Goodness juice. Can this count as my salad? Lol.

2. Exercise once a week for at least 20 minutes doing something that will get your heart rate up. It could be walking, running, any form of cardio or HITT cardio.

-Right now I work out 3-5 times a week for an hour each time. One day of just cardio (Zumba), two days of just weight training (BodyPump) and one or two days of me using the gym equipment to do both cardio and strength training.

3. Hide your ends 5 days a week. Mon thru Friday is a good template yet still leaving room to wear your hair out on the weekends.

-I normally wear my hair in a bun during the work week, but sometimes I'll wear a ponytail. My ends are normally hidden about 3-4 days a week, I'll try to keep them hidden for 5 days a week consistently.

assiyrabomb

Hey guys! Count me in on this challenge!

Current Length: WL. I'm currently in a PS and I won't be able to take any length pics until I take them out.

Regimen:

When not in a PS:
- W&S daily
- Wash hair weekly
- DC with every wash
- Steam weekly

In a PS:
-W&S 3x per week
-Cleanse scalp once every 2 weeks
-Steam weekly

Exact goal length: Classic Length

Plans to help you achieve your goal: I plan to PS my way to Classic Length. I do enjoy my hair however, so I will PS for no more than 2 months at a time with a 1 month break in between.

List any vitamins/supplements you are taking: Nature Made Biotin Gummies. Each serving has 3000 mcg of Biotin. They taste great and definitely helped me reach WL this year.

Your ends care regimen to keep them healthy: PS to keep my ends protected and trimming as necessary.

Trimming/Dusting/S&D'ing schedule/routine: I will trim 1/4 inch every 3-4 months. I color my hair so its important for me to stay on top of this.

Top 10 products: Please note these are the products that you intend on using the duration of the challenge. So list your tried and true. Yes you are allowed to use other products but I want to know your foundation products. The ones that are going to rock with you to hip length and beyond.

I make my own hair products for the most part and so the majority of the products below are ones I've made for myself:

1. African Black Soap Shampoo
2. Hibiscus Intensive DC
3. Peppermint Oil Mix (for scalp)
4. Whipped Mango Butter
5. Coconut Oil Mix (for hair)
6. Annabelle's Refresher Spray
7. SheScentIt Peach DC
8. SheScentIt Avocado Conditioner
9. SheScentIt Baobab LIC

assiyrabomb

You can also count me in for the mini challenge. I'm going to try all three.

1. I bought myself a juicer for Christmas so I may end up drinking my salad opposed to eating it lol.
2. There's a gym at my job that I'm thinking about joining. If not, I'll work out at home.
3. I'm already in a PS that I plan to take out in Feb. I'll probably just bun my hair from then until the end of March.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Day 6 of the 7-Day Cabbage Soup Diet. I see the slimming! Others do, too. Very cool.

Hair is still in the same puff. Finally appreciating refresher spray!

Dinner last night was a super lean burger with those paleo-friendly rounds for "bread." I got my water in yesterday, too.

Today it's protein, veggies, and the soup. Had the bomb veggie and Canadian bacon omelet this morning. Ran out of cabbage soup . . . and cabbage! :lol: Goodness! Don't know if I'll have time now to cook another pot.

Phone died, I'm dealing with all these car issues, and I'm still Christmas shopping. So I'm breathing, acting, and taking things ONE thing at a time. :smile:

Blessings all around, all.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Hey guys! Count me in on this challenge!

Current Length: WL. I'm currently in a PS and I won't be able to take any length pics until I take them out.

Regimen:

When not in a PS:
- W&S daily
- Wash hair weekly
- DC with every wash
- Steam weekly

In a PS:
-W&S 3x per week
-Cleanse scalp once every 2 weeks
-Steam weekly

Exact goal length: Classic Length

Plans to help you achieve your goal: I plan to PS my way to Classic Length. I do enjoy my hair however, so I will PS for no more than 2 months at a time with a 1 month break in between.

List any vitamins/supplements you are taking: Nature Made Biotin Gummies. Each serving has 3000 mcg of Biotin. They taste great and definitely helped me reach WL this year.

Your ends care regimen to keep them healthy: PS to keep my ends protected and trimming as necessary.

Trimming/Dusting/S&D'ing schedule/routine: I will trim 1/4 inch every 3-4 months. I color my hair so its important for me to stay on top of this.

Top 10 products: Please note these are the products that you intend on using the duration of the challenge. So list your tried and true. Yes you are allowed to use other products but I want to know your foundation products. The ones that are going to rock with you to hip length and beyond.

I make my own hair products for the most part and so the majority of the products below are ones I've made for myself:

1. African Black Soap Shampoo
2. Hibiscus Intensive DC
3. Peppermint Oil Mix (for scalp)
4. Whipped Mango Butter
5. Coconut Oil Mix (for hair)
6. Annabelle's Refresher Spray
7. SheScentIt Peach DC
8. SheScentIt Avocado Conditioner
9. SheScentIt Baobab LIC

@assiyrabomb Welcome to the Challenge! That whipped mango butter sounds yummy. I bet it's awesome as a body butter too!

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
I have 9 family members coming in from out of town to spend the holidays with us. They are in route so please keep them in your prayers for travel mercy to and fro. Today I'm prepping my house...you know laundry, cleaning..the usual. I'll be busy entertaining and spending time with the fam bam so I wanted to come on and wish you guys a Merry Christmas. I hope it is as beautiful as each one of you! :2inlove:

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Praying for your family members' traveling grace, @lulu97 !

Well, I am finally just about finished cleaning and packing. We will be away from the kiddos for two weeks. We are driving across the country to the cabins to be with the other side of the family. Please offer a prayer for the children and us. We will be praying for you and yours as well!

Possible Hair-related Projects for the Trip :smile:
I packed my weave thread (for African threading), my wavy curlformers, my wig thinning shears, and my too-much-body-having-but-otherwise-very-pretty wig. My goal is to make serious headway learning to do a beautiful African thread-out. If I get to start learning to do a wavy curlformer set and if I get to thin down the wig, that would be icing on the cake. I'm not going to pressure myself to tackle all three as this is a vacation and is about relaxing. :smile:

Health/Fitness/Eating
I finished Day 7 of the 7-Day Cabbage Soup Diet. On Day 6 I ran out of soup (and ingredients and time to make more!), so I didn't quite comply on the last day. That's okay! I'm feeling GREAT! That was one healthy week of eating and drinking and movement of the body! It reminded EVERYONE in the house that we love fruits, vegetables, lean meat, etc. My oldest is now ADDICTED to honeycrisp apples, lol. Who knew?!?? I told him, "Nature's candy . . . yaddah, yaddah . . . is better than chips, isn't it? (he happily :yep: while chomping) . . . better than Starbursts . . . ." I believe we perhaps know more than we used to about healthy eating and thus can help our children to develop a preference and trained taste buds for healthy foods. I'm allllll for it!!! Now my Little man? He loooooooves anything just about. :lol: So eating healthy is a breeze for him. :smile:

Hair and Products
As I mentioned in my original post in this thread, I'm moving away from buying and using a host of different products. I have instead permitted myself to try 3 new lines this year for a month each so that I can really see how they work on my hair. I'll be taking notes, comparing, and then choosing what seems to be an optimal combination of products . . . across the 3 lines if I must, but I'm hoping the combo will be within 1 line for simplicity and economy.

Well, the 22nd Century Natural Woman line came in earlier than I expected! I thought we'd be gone on our trip before they arrived. When they arrived, I was so curious about the shampoo bar soap that I tried it instead of waiting until February as I had planned. (I'm focusing on Jakeala products now and for January.) Well, the bar soap was ah-mazing! (I discuss it at that main, new 22nd Century thread.) I was able to detangle with it!!! :eek: Cleansing and FULLY detangling in the same step? That's less manipulation! What if it enables me to CANCEL, REMOVE, SUBTRACT, DISINVITE SOULTANICALS SLIP-N-SLIDE HAIR GLIDE out of my regimen?!?? That's a product cost and shipping fees cost just GONE BYE-BY! Oh, yeah!) So of course I just haaaaaaad to try the deep conditioner. :rolleyes:

Well, that's a whole 'nother story (see the new 22nd Century Natural Woman thread for details). Anyhoo, the pictures below are of today's twist-out using the 22nd CNW shampoo bar and "DC." I'm going to continue to assess how well the shampoo bar detangles (I didn't have a lot of knots and tangles because my hair had been stretched, so it really hasn't been tested, tested, tested . . . you know?) As of now, I'm thinking the shampoo bar is a staple! Usage and time will tell! :smile:

Blessings, everyone! I'm praying your holidays are wonderful and safe and rejuvenating . . . peace-filled and joyous.

Take care!

Attachments

• WP_20161223_012.jpg
    WP_20161223_012.jpg
    333.9 KB · Views: 91
  • WP_20161223_016.jpg
    WP_20161223_016.jpg
    341.4 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:

YvetteWithJoy

On break
We arrived safely.

I was able to eat 90% healthy/compliant over the whole drive.

Kettlebell workout done just now.

This 22nd Century Natural Woman DC has left my hair very greasy/oily. I didn't retwist last night because of it. I slapped on a bonnet. I don't want to reunite with all the in laws in this puff, but I think that's what's going to happen! Oh, well! Most important thing is togetherness and health, and we got that! :smile:

I need to shop for healthy food. I'll be the resident health nut for the next 2 weeks. Lol! Oh, well. They still claim and love me.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Man, the hair and practices in this thread are so motivating! Just gorgeous!

Hair: I'm working on being less wordy (trying not to be bothersome there), so I'll just note that I'm wearing a nice twist-out and that the Jakeala Beer Conditioner is truly amazing on my hair.

Health:
There won't be a grocery store near the cabin. :sad:

I'll only be able to eat what I pack and what the in-laws cook. Lord, be a weight setback preventer!

I hope we do some hiking. I'll pack my jump rope and kettle bells though, anyway.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
I managed to still eat well though I cooked really tempting food for my family over the holiday. I still had my usual morning green smoothie, lean protein/veggies for lunch and dinner. I only indulged in my favorite Christmas butter cookies on Christmas day.

I got lots of compliments on my hair too. And as always, I somehow ended up doing somebody else's hair before my family left. :lachen:

YvetteWithJoy

On break
@beauti Great starting picture! Did you flat iron yourself?

@YvetteWithJoy You are so pretty and have some beautiful skin. Care to share your routine?

Thanks, @lulu97. That is so kind!

I will definitely share once I get to a Wi-Fi connection and can link the few products I use.

I have sensitive/problem skin. I also have very dark circles under my eyes. I keep my skin regimen pretty simple. In the photo I am wearing a very thin layer of Shea Moisture tinted lotion. I looooove that stuff.

I'll post my cleansing, exfoliating, toning, and moisturizing routine when I have internet.

Thank you again for the compliment. My skin challenges have made me self conscious, and in my 40s I'm finally learning to relax and feel alright about it. :smile:

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I managed to still eat well though I cooked really tempting food for my family over the holiday. I still had my usual morning green smoothie, lean protein/veggies for lunch and dinner. I only indulged in my favorite Christmas butter cookies on Christmas day.

I got lots of compliments on my hair too. And as always, I somehow ended up doing somebody else's hair before my family left. :lachen:

No small feat! I have a hard time when I cook for others. Way to go!

I'm not surprised you got recruited to do someone's hair. Lol! I'm going to take a stab at my little niecy's 4c hair. She cries when her mommy does it. I don't want her to dislike her hair! Her sisters have 4a and 3 something hair. I hope I can do something right with it. I combed it a little and so much hair came out with super gentle combing. I wonder what that means. I'm used to handling my 4a hair. We shall see!