Votes: 8 2.7%
  • Vitamin Shoppe Super Chlorella

Votes: 34 11.7%
  • Other Chlorella brand

Votes: 45 15.5%

• Total voters

Wenbev

Ladies,

Why do everyone increase their dosage and not take number of pills the bottle tells you to take? Is there a big difference in the benefits if you follow the directions on the bottle? How do you know when to stop increasing your dosage?
:blush:
For me, I increased until my ish stayed :blush: green If the color changed back to brown while I was still taking chl, then I knew I wasn't taking enough. The amount to take is subjective.

missyanne

I keep forgetting to moisturise my face, because it is so silky!

Yesssssssss, I love my skin. I'm always touching myself:grin:
I'm down 10 pounds, and i'm only at 6gram. I gain when i go pass seven gram but lose when I stay under, I cant explain it, long as the scale is moving down, I dont really care.

g.lo

The past 2 days i havent taken my dosage ( was away:ohwell:).
I had a dream, my spirulina and chlorella came to talk to me and warning me I will turn brown again:lachen::lachen::lachen:! this is serious:blush:

natural_one

I keep forgetting to moisturise my face, because it is so silky!

I have been taking Chlorella all week and I noticed my skin was looking so smooth and silky..I thought it was because I used my scrubber last week...hmmm might be the Chlorella..:scratchch

ilong

God's Own
g.lo - come on confess, you know you find yourself constantly touching your skin (like missyanne and someone else I know :giggle:) because it's so soft? :lachen:

Prosperity711 - for me, higher dosages are required to reduce inflammation in my knees. Lower dosages (i.e. <10g daily) doesn't reduce my inflammation. Also, I am quite sure I have carpal tunnel syndrome in both my wrists (I am literally on computers more than 14 hours a day. Between the chlorell, spirulina and ginger root tea - inflammation in my wrists is managed.

natural_one - heavenly skin is cleansing face with facial cloths, applying Vitamin C DIY serum, oil pulling and taking chlorella and spirulina.
ooh-la-la:lick:

ilong

God's Own
g.lo - I hear ya!!! (not sure of your age range but...) others will marvel at you having great healthy lookin' skin - no wrinkles, sagging, etc.- at 55+ years. Which will make your glow even more!!!

frobellete

Hi. I bought chlorella powder and spirulina powder a couple of months ago. I used them in my smoothies for a few weeks but stopped because I was on high dosage iron and vitamin c prescription tablets from my doc I figured I might end up with too much of a good thing. I started using them in smoothies again when I finished the course from my doc. This time hrs after I took it (2-3hrs) I woke up violently sick and was in and out the bathroom all night. At the time I thought maybe I took too much of it. I stopped then 2wks later ie last night, I took it again in very low dosages.....again abt an hr later I was up sick all night.

Has anyone ever suffered that? I don know whether its the spirulina or chlorella causing sickness and I don't know whether I have the energy to try. When I first took it I had very good results. I wish these side effects would go away.

Any words of wisdom? I use the naturya brand from holland and barret (uk).

Wenbev

Hi. I bought chlorella powder and spirulina powder a couple of months ago. I used them in my smoothies for a few weeks but stopped because I was on high dosage iron and vitamin c prescription tablets from my doc I figured I might end up with too much of a good thing. I started using them in smoothies again when I finished the course from my doc. This time hrs after I took it (2-3hrs) I woke up violently sick and was in and out the bathroom all night. At the time I thought maybe I took too much of it. I stopped then 2wks later ie last night, I took it again in very low dosages.....again abt an hr later I was up sick all night.

Has anyone ever suffered that? I don know whether its the spirulina or chlorella causing sickness and I don't know whether I have the energy to try. When I first took it I had very good results. I wish these side effects would go away.

Any words of wisdom? I use the naturya brand from holland and barret (uk).

frobellete I have heard of this happening to some people. Please make sure you have something in your stomach prior to taking and make certain you're drinking lots of water. I am not familiar with your brand. There are some posters that take spirulina and chlorella and I thought I read there should be a ratio between both. ilong can you speak to this?

Sonnshine

frobellete@

I had a similar reaction the last two times I've taken chlorella.
On both occasions, I had lots of water about a 1L.
I figured that maybe that was the culprit!
However, I haven't been brave enough to try it again as the vomiting was really sudden and I barely had time to get to the bathroom.

I had taken it before then, but with much smaller amounts of water.

I haven't tried spirulina...

Frizzyb

Had the same issue, too sad cause I was really enjoying the benefits of taking chlorella. I still have a huge container of it, I mean I was in it for the long haul. Wanna restart but just remembering how bad I threw up.... Let's just say I'm really hesitant.

VictoriousBrownFlower

That same statement can be used for vitamins as well. We don't know what ; could be in those as well; yeast, egg, soy, filler, natural flavors, carrageenan, etc. are examples.
I am not certain why you had body odor. Everyone's body is different and as another poster mentioned, that may have been your detox symptom.
It may have been my body going through detox because my poo and farts smelled so bad. If it was a detox I can't go through with it.

frobellete

frobellete I have heard of this happening to some people. Please make sure you have something in your stomach prior to taking and make certain you're drinking lots of water. I am not familiar with your brand. There are some posters that take spirulina and chlorella and I thought I read there should be a ratio between both. ilong can you speak to this?

First time around I hadnt eaten much so the experience was painful. The second time it was after eating. I am sure I drank water too.

I need to find out abt the ratio between spirulina and chlorella.

Sonnshine I dont think I will be brave enough for a long time to try.

Frizzyb Its such a shame as I liked the benefits a lot and I have a 2mths supply left.....I was in it for the long haul too.

Last edited:

ilong

God's Own
Ladies - I wish I knew the reason for your reaction but I don't. It is interesting because I recommended chlorella to a friend and they had a similar reaction.
The only time experienced something similar was a gagging sensation when I tried to take a large amount of powdered chlorella - and that was due to my trying to "chug" it down.
It is unfortunate that you had these experiences, because the benefits are awesome but you should follow your minds and do what is best for you.

missyanne

So, for two years I have been battling excessive shedding. I tried everything; teas, coffee, garlic, etc..... Thanks to Chlorrreerrreeella (In my Opera voice) my shedding is under control. Thank you fabulous lady of LHCF for introducing me to my holy grail.

On my freakin way to BSL

sissimpson

I've been taking between 8-12 grams of chlorella daily for the past six months. My hair was very thin when I started. Today, it has gotten so thick at the roots, it almost seems like I'm transitioning from a perm! Thanks for the great advice ladies.

ilong

God's Own
missyanne and sissimpson - glad to hear chlorella is helping you. It (along with spirulina) are fantastic supplements. I think internal protein intake is more beneficial to hair than topical application of protein based hair products.

Sade' welcome back!!

ilong

God's Own
@smores - I have not tried the combo pill. I still take the individuali supplements.
Also another thought regarding taking them separately, if one doesn't agree with you, you can isolate the "problem" . With a combo pill you would not be able to determine the culprit.

Chlorella is rich in proteins, amino acids and vitamins...
(It is a nutrient-dense superfood that contains 60% protein, 18 amino acids (including all the essential amino acids), and various vitamins and minerals. One of its unique properties is a phytonutrient called CGF.
Chlorella provides all of the dietary-essential amino acids in excellent ratios. It is also a reliable source of essential fatty acids that are required for many important biochemical functions, including hormone balance. Chlorella also contains high levels of chlorophyll, beta-carotene and RNA/DNA. More than 20 vitamins and minerals are found in chlorella, including iron, calcium, potassium, magnesium, phosphorous, pro-vitamin A, vitamins C, B1, B2, B2, B5, B6, B12, E and K, biotin, inositol, folic acid, plus vitamins C, E and K. Source )

Last edited:

ilong

God's Own
Thread lurker here. I think I'm ready to take the plunge with both chlorella and spirulina. Has anyone taken the pills that combine both supplements?

I found this one on Amazon. *I doubt I'll take 20 pills a day, even if they are small*

Thor's Hammer: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005FAJPR4/ref=gno_cart_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3NV3AFS31W1DG

smores your comment about taking 20 pills reminded me of a discussion I had with some friends. They take an average of 7-10 PRESCRIBED pills twice daily. They were amazed at the number of supplements I take daily. BUT their amazement went to another level - when I told them I do not have to take ANY medication - they were SHOCKED!!! :yep: - Considering our ages. :grin: They then asked me to text them the name of the "green pills":lachen:

Anyway - you are right to evaluate the strength of the pills you take. You will tire of taking so many pills - so you want to get the highest strength that you can out of each tablet.

smores

@smores - I have not tried the combo pill. I still take the individuali supplements. Also another thought regarding taking them separately, if one doesn't agree with you, you can isolate the "problem" . With a combo pill you would not be able to determine the culprit. Chlorella is rich in proteins, amino acids and vitamins... (It is a nutrient-dense superfood that contains 60% protein, 18 amino acids (including all the essential amino acids), and various vitamins and minerals. One of its unique properties is a phytonutrient called CGF. Chlorella provides all of the dietary-essential amino acids in excellent ratios. It is also a reliable source of essential fatty acids that are required for many important biochemical functions, including hormone balance. Chlorella also contains high levels of chlorophyll, beta-carotene and RNA/DNA. More than 20 vitamins and minerals are found in chlorella, including iron, calcium, potassium, magnesium, phosphorous, pro-vitamin A, vitamins C, B1, B2, B2, B5, B6, B12, E and K, biotin, inositol, folic acid, plus vitamins C, E and K. Source )

ilong Thanks for responding! You're right about not being able to isolate the problem. After reading through the most recent posts (about 40 pages) of this thread, I think I'm going to do the 1:1 ratio (I think you do that too, right?). I like the idea of the combo pills allowing me to "build" my tolerance. Now I'm thinking about the people who got sick and if that were to happen to me, I wouldn't know which supplement caused it. Thanks for the food for thought, literally. :)

This of list of chlorella nutrients is great! I've been trying to find out exactly how much of these nutrients is in specific chlorella servings. Right now I take a hair, skin, nail vitamin and supplement it with biotin, MSM, bamboo silica, evening primrose and omega 3. Knowing the numerical nutrient makeup of chlorella would help me figure out if I need to supplement while taking it and how much. Any advice there?

smores

smores your comment about taking 20 pills reminded me of a discussion I had with some friends. They take an average of 7-10 PRESCRIBED pills twice daily. They were amazed at the number of supplements I take daily. BUT their amazement went to another level - when I told them I do not have to take ANY medication - they were SHOCKED!!! :yep: - Considering our ages. :grin: They then asked me to text them the name of the "green pills":lachen: Anyway - you are right to evaluate the strength of the pills you take. You will tire of taking so many pills - so you want to get the highest strength that you can out of each tablet.

ilong I had to laugh at this bc I have similar convos w/ my friends. Everyone knows I "don't take medicine" and I don't like med recs. Instead, I take vitamins and supplements. We laugh bc I carry a bottle of Aleeve in my purse that I never use! In fact one bottle actually expired on me! It's really for my friends and family who don't understand or use my preventative health system and in return always have a headache or some other pain. In exchange for Aleeve, they must listen to my vitamin/nutrient lecture (rant). :)

Right now I take 8 pills a day so 20 total wouldn't be bad, but since I don't know the breakdown of nutrient amounts in the combo I don't know if or how much I'll need to supplement. I may just start out with my current regimen and add chlorella. ilong are you still taking NOW brand at 1,000mg a day?