HOW AFTEN DO YOU USE RECONSTRUCTOR

HOW OFTEN DO YOU USE YOUR RECONSTRUCTOR

• Total voters

Mandy4610

Ladies, please tell me how often you use your reconstructor and what does it really do? How is it different from a protein treatment?
TIA

amwcah

I use reconstructor/protein treatment interchangeably. I use a protein treatment a week after relaxing or as needed. A reconstructor is a milder form of the protein treatment.

lovenharmony

ET / OT Bonafide Member
A reconstructor is like a mild protein treatment. It's meant to re-seal the cuticle and re-balance the protien that was lost after relaxing. I use a reconstructor when I feel I need something heavier than a light protein, but not as strong as a hardcore protein treatment.

amwcah

I use the ApHogee Keratin & Green Tea Reconstructor. It is basically a spray on leave in. So, therefore no I don't DC after. I usually DC as a prepoo, especially in this case.

silkii_locks

Yeah, I agree with the other ladies. I use a reconstructor when my hair starts to feel weak and when I see significant breakage. Just the other night I used Joico Reconstructor, I normally would have gone "hardcore" and used aphogee but they have changed their formula and the last time I used it I was not satisfied with the results. It's no longer the strong animal protein, it's hydrolized keratin now which is the same ingredient in Joico and since I love Joico products anyway I decided to go with that and it worked beautifully. And to answer your other question Yes, I do a D/C treatment afterwards under plastic cap with heat for about 20 - 30 minutes to counteract the drying effect of the protein.

HoneyDew

as needed.

I do use one on my hair before neutralizing after a touchup. Otherwise, it I only do it when I need to. For the past 6 months it has averaged at every 4 weeks or so, but I don't really count.

I only use mild protein because the hardcore ones are not for me.

malibu4590

After every wash so that's once a week. I use Aussie 3-minute miracle and I mix it with whatever I choose to DC with for that week.

prospurr4

I use a Motions CPR Reconstructor during my touchup process only. I use it after my relaxer but before neutralizing. I've recently added this step (after reading Sistaslick's article), and I love the results.

atlien

I am so glad this thread was started.....somebody is reading my mind. I just brought a 25$ Kenra reconstructor and did not know when I should use it.

For 25$ this thing better do something miraculous.....I will probably use it after I do my touchup.

For the ladies that use this after a touch up...Do you use any other conditoners after the reconstructor?

Last edited:

classi123

Since I got a bad relaxer I reconstruct every 2 weeks, and it has done wonders to bring my hair back to health...:grin:

Traycee

Traycee, are you natural or relaxed?

I'm relaxed... reconstructors are really designed for seriously damaged hair...when I need protein ...I take two eggs and whip it and add to a conditioner and put on dry hair for 15 mins under heat........Gives me much needed protein ......

shtow

I'm relaxed... reconstructors are really designed for seriously damaged hair...when I need protein ...I take two eggs and whip it and add to a conditioner and put on dry hair for 15 mins under heat........Gives me much needed protein ......

Question: I heard this works well. Do you do this on dry hair so that it will penetrate better and do you use a shower cap under the dryer after you apply the conditioner?

Traycee

Question: I heard this works well. Do you do this on dry hair so that it will penetrate better and do you use a shower cap under the dryer after you apply the conditioner?

I think it does penetrate better but , to be honest I do it out of convenience
.....I do it on dry hair ...rinse, shampoo..then deep condition with moisture...

Oh...I always do it under a plastic cap.....but i don't always use heat and I get the same results

Last edited:

HoneyDew

Traycee I really do think you have a good point.

I was using hardcore protein treatments regularly here and EVERYTIME my hair turned out dry and out of whack.

I realized that they are just not for me. I do a rinse with a low pH light reconstructor, or so it is labeled, on relaxer days pre-neutralizing but that is about it. I have been doing that for a while and my hair has been fine.

I did recently have a problem where my hair was super soft and "over-moisturized" taking a long time to dry. I did a protein rinse for a min or so with a protein liquid product and rinsed and my hair was back to normal that quickly. No hardening, no long time under the dryer, nothing like that.

I really don't think I need a lot of protein like I used to believe when I first joined the board.

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
I only do it a major a week or so b4 relaxer and a 2 min after neutralizer mixed with DC. And sometime once a month with the eggs cause I keep monthly sew-ins and mainly only use moisturizer during that month.

shtow

I think it does penetrate better but , to be honest I do it out of convenience
.....I do it on dry hair ...rinse, shampoo..then deep condition with moisture...

Oh...I always do it under a plastic cap.....but i don't always use heat and I get the same results

Thats what I figured. Thats a good idea. Plus, by shampooing you really get all the egg out. I will def be adding this to me reggie! Thanks:yep:

supermodelsonya

I normally use it after a relaxer which is every 8-10 weeks but I see that I'm going to have to try with a weekly protein treatment. I've been noticing some breakage lately that I'm not in the sew-ins and the protein seems to stop it dead in its tracks.

HairQueen

I just started using Aphogee (in the new packaging) once per week - my hair is like 5 times thicker and stronger...