How Did You Get Your Hair to Grow That Long is the Question

janeemat

...I was asked by at least 5 different women at church last night! All I could think about was my sisters here on the forum. I posted on Monday that I just got my relaxer Friday, so by Tuesday my hair is in now bone straight and really showing the length. Of course I did not go into a big spill and let them know all of our secrets. I just commented that I stopped getting relaxers frequently and shared with them that I have had only 3 relaxers this year. Their mouth really dropped then. One even commented that I must have good hair. Can you believe that? One sister was really shocked and in disbelief. She commented that my hair is usually curly (like my avatar) and you could not tell how long it really was until I got my relaxer. I wanted to laugh. One lady could not wait for bible study to end because as soon as he dismissed she started questioning what was I doing to my hair. The thing is, my hair is not even long yet. Their mouth would really drop if they saw some of the heads on here. Oh, even one of the brothers at church walked up and commented "you letting your hair grow out". I teased him and told him that I'm letting it grow so that I can do the white girl toss. It's a good feeling to know that all of your work is not done in vain; the stretching, the pre-poos, extra cond, rollersets, fingercombing, the dreadful bunning and etc. Thanks to all of the wonderful tips here, I'm on my way to APL! Did you ladies get this question at the beginning of growing your hair long?

Last edited:
ITA!!! It's always good to know all our hard work is not in vain. Doesn't it feel sooo good when people notice your progress, too?

...I was asked by at least 5 different women at church last night! All I could think about was my sisters here on the forum. I posted on Monday that I just got my relaxer Friday, so by Tuesday my hair is in now bone straight and really showing the length. Of course I did not go into a big spill and let them know all of our secrets. I just commented that I stopped getting relaxers frequently and shared with them that I have had only 3 relaxers this year. Their mouth really dropped then. One even commented that I must have good hair. Can you believe that? One sister was really shocked and in disbelief. She commented that my hair is usually curly (like my avatar) and you could not tell how long it really was until I got my relaxer. I wanted to laugh. One lady could not wait for bible study to end because as soon as he dismissed she started questioning what was I doing to my hair. The thing is, my hair is not even long yet. Their mouth would really drop if they saw some of the heads on here. Oh, even one of the brothers at church walked up and commented "you letting your hair grow out". I teased him and told him that I'm letting it grow so that I can do the white girl toss. It's a good feeling to know that all of your work is not done in vain; the stretching, the pre-poos, extra cond, rollersets, fingercombing, the dreadful bunning and etc. Thanks to all of the wonderful tips here, I'm on my way to APL! Did you ladies get this question at the beginning of growing your hair long?

Go Janeemat:yay: Your hair is lovely, I know why they are asking for the secrets. My hair isn't even as long as your and people have asked me what I have been doing. I personally think I could use another trim, one more henna treatment and d/c this week but everyone thinks it looks good so who and I to argue:cool: I am hoping that using your tips to stretch with help get me over the shoulder length hump once and for all in the next couple of months, no later than Feb. 2008. Just wait until you hit bra-strap length which won't be long with the way you are going now.

I recently had a few people ask "What have you been doing?" My hair is not hardly long, but they must see that something is going on.

I hate sharing my regimen, though. Most people are not willing to put so much effort into their hair.

Actually, I think my regimen is pretty simple compared to others and I still allow myself to use heat twice a week. But texlaxing, shampooing and deepconditioning twice a week, pre-pooing, limiting heat, investing in nice products and tools, protecting - some just don't want to do it.

I am just letting my hair do the talking. :grin:

Comments from others recently have really helped me stop stressing about lengths. I will get there eventually, but the thickness and health of my hair has definitely been getting comments.

ITA, I get that question a lot and one of my friends even went so far as to do some snooping in my bathroom! I beg her pardon :nono: since none of the labels were in English, she had no clue what was going on, the only the she could read was the JBCO and she asked if that's what I'd been using. I just simply confirmed, and said among other things lol. I wore a straight blowout the other weekend to a wedding and my cousin just commented that he didn't know my hair was that long again and every time he walked by he'd say in his big booming raspy voice, "fling it again, girl!" it was pretty funny.

Janeemat, your hair looks so pretty! I can see why the church ladies asked about it. You know they done spread the news. :lachen:You will probably have more church ladies than usual sitting next to you and especially behind you this Sunday.:grin:

Folks ask about mine and my DD's, too. My DD is MBL, but I am APL and been stuck here for months now. :wallbash: Anyhoo, family members swear its a weave, even anonoymous(sp?-sorry) posters on my fotki ask me if I am wearing a weave. I delete them now. I wonder what people will say when I finally hit BSL. Heck, I wonder what I'm going to say?:blush:

bluefolli: Lol, I just checked your fotki and saw the "Its not a weave" warning lol.

I can tell that its real, well done on your growth:look:

Janeemat, what a cute story about your hair and the church folks. Looks like everyone really took notice of all of your hard work. Congratulations.

It's all out in the open now...people are going to lose their focus if they sit behind you come Sunday. You may have to sit in the back, last row. j/k:lachen:

To answer your question: No, I haven't really had anyone make comments about my progress, but I only started a few months ago and wear my hair up most of the time where no one can see it. But I can't lie, it must be a good feeling to have someone ELSE take notice of your hair and acknowledge your progress.

Your story was really cute, and I know you've got those church ladies talkin'!! :lachen:Unfortunately, the haters won't be far behind... but nevermind them. :rolleyes:

bluefolli, i think you might be my hair twin!! i have something to look foward too finally!!

your progress is amazing & your hair looks GREAT!!!

u about to be my friend on fotki...

OP:
Absolutely nice to get raves about all the hard work you put in. We really do take alot of time do baby our hair!!!

u about to be my friend on fotki..

bluefolli, i think you might be my hair twin!! i have something to look foward too finally!!

your progress is amazing & your hair looks GREAT!!!

u about to be my friend on fotki...

OP:
Absolutely nice to get raves about all the hard work you put in. We really do take alot of time do baby our hair!!!

u about to be my friend on fotki..

Awww thanks! I added you! Sorry OP. I want you to follow-up Sunday evening and let us know what happened with your hair and the Church Ladies.

You ladies are funny. I'm going to brace myself for Sunday and definitely be on the look out for the haters. I'm expecting this one particular lady to inquire some more. She seemed really serious when she questioned what I've been doing. She might be a LHCF recruit. I'll take it nice and slow.

Heeeyyy, go 'head girl!:grin: Just keep doing what you're doing.

I rarely wear my hair out. But even when I do,
nobody really asks me how I did it. They either ask me
if it's all mine, why I don't wear it,
or simply comment on how long it is.:perplexed
It's a trip because it seems like I got more
comments the 1st time I hit APL. But then again,
I wore my hair out all the time back then too.

Maybe once I hit WSL, folks will start
being a little more inquisitive. I'll be wearing my
hair out more regularly by that time anyway!:cool:

Pose, covergirl!!:Flahsssss
You're receiving well deserved praise:up:

To answer your question, only 1 or 2 people questioned me, but that may be because I kept it in a bun 90% of the time:rofl:

You ladies are funny. I'm going to brace myself for Sunday and definitely be on the look out for the haters. I'm expecting this one particular lady to inquire some more. She seemed really serious when she questioned what I've been doing. She might be a LHCF recruit. I'll take it nice and slow.

I wouldn't tell if I were you. See if she is willing to do all of what you do to your hair first before you let the secret out. It sounds like compliments, with a little hating on the side. Now when people ask about my hair, I just tell them I wash, condition, moisturize, and leave it alone. People find that statement alone hard to believe. Nobody ever wants to go through or do what it takes to grow long healthy hair. They think it is something that you can just buy in the store or something. And that you must have good hair statement, what is that about?

I hate sharing my regimen, though. Most people are not willing to put so much effort into their hair.

But texlaxing, shampooing and deep conditioning twice a week, pre-pooing, limiting heat, investing in nice products and tools, protecting - some just don't want to do it.

I am just letting my hair do the talking. :grin:

I feel you, most people ask but don't want to put forth the effort. Everyone thinks there is some kind of magic potion you use. When people ask me for advice now I just tell them limit heat, use protective styling, stretch relaxers, deep condition, use quality products and a supplement or good diet helps.

I agree, I also tell them to let there hair do the talking which is what I do. I think that is key.

I wouldn't tell if I were you. See if she is willing to do all of what you do to your hair first before you let the secret out. It sounds like compliments, with a little hating on the side. Now when people ask about my hair, I just tell them I wash, condition, moisturize, and leave it alone. People find that statement alone hard to believe. Nobody ever wants to go through or do what it takes to grow long healthy hair. They think it is something that you can just buy in the store or something. And that you must have good hair statement, what is that about?

You ladies are probably right about not sharing. She would probably look at me like I'm crazy. Less relaxers and deep conditioning would probably be an idea statement and just leave it at that. Oh forgot to share that one lady said that my hair was growing because my stylist is a man. Now I've only been to him 3 times this year for relaxers only. I told her that was an old myth.

You ladies are probably right about not sharing. She would probably look at me like I'm crazy. Less relaxers and deep conditioning would probably be an idea statement and just leave it at that. Oh forgot to share that one lady said that my hair was growing because my stylist is a man. Now I've only been to him 3 times this year for relaxers only. I told her that was an old myth.

What myth is there associated with a male stylist? In other words...(maybe I havne't heard of this myth), but why do some people believe your hair will grow longer with a male stylist? I'm confused... :confused:

Your hair is growing so beautifully! If they are lined up to inquire now, wait until you are BSL- the real hatin' will be apparent-right in God's house:lachen:.
Thanks for sharing!

Love your hair! It's nice to hear statements about hair, i can't wait for mine from those not in my family :grin:

What myth is there associated with a male stylist? In other words...(maybe I havne't heard of this myth), but why do some people believe your hair will grow longer with a male stylist? I'm confused... :confused:

She believes that men can make your hair grow. I heard that when I was child and would beg my brother to braid my hair.:yep:

Back