How do you avoid crispy ends after a rollerset?

tryn2growmyhair

I have a question for you all. I recently rollerset my hair and sat under the dryer for the first time and love the results except for one thing -- the crispy ends. How can I avoid this? What would you recommend?

I am thinking of using end papers but one stylist said that might only make the situtation worse. And the end paper have resulted in my hair drying kind of crispy.

Any advice that you would have about this would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I have minimized the crispy ends by using plastic magnetic rollers as opposed to mesh rollers.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

onepraying

Healthy Hair Quest..
Hi :wave:

Eversince I've learned to rollerset I've never experienced this problem, oh yeah, except when I did a dry set using Ego Boost on my ends... :nono:

Other than that, I've always done my sets on wet/damp hair and used Profectiv Healthy Ends on the ends.

This is how much I use on each curl... Password: peanut

You can also try mixing it with a little evoo for shiny moist ends!

hth-

~op~

Mitre

Rollerset your hair wet,and make sure the hair is lying flat onto the roller when setting

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
How are y'all getting crispy ends after a rollerset? Someone else started a thread about this earlier this week...

Rollerset on soaking wet hair. Make sure your ends are all the way smooth and straighten before putting it around the roller so it will lay flat and smooth against the roller. Also, putting something on your ends like oil or serum will make your ends come out nice. Also make sure your hair is completely dry before taking the rollers out.

Hope that helps! ;)

mochamadness

Going the Distance
I would say to make sure that your hair is not damp, but wet before applying the leave in. Also make sure not to be heavy handed with the leave in by apply too much when you're setting your hair. This should definitely avoid the crispy ends.

divinefavor

I've never had crispy ends when doing my rollersets. I would suggest doing rollersets while the hair is wet. Sometimes I put oil on my ends and sometimes I don't, depends on if I'm lazy that day. :) I also make sure that my ends are flat and straight when I put them on magnetic rollers.

tryn2growmyhair

Thanks for all the tips. One of things is that my hair is NEVER sopping wet, it is always a bit damp. Also, I used a new Salerm leave in --it was a reconstructor that came in a glass bottle and not much water.

I guess I wont be doing that again. :ohwell:

Also, do any of you use roller papers?

divinefavor

tryn2growmyhair said:
Thanks for all the tips. One of things is that my hair is NEVER sopping wet, it is always a bit damp. Also, I used a new Salerm leave in --it was a reconstructor that came in a glass bottle and not much water.

I guess I wont be doing that again. :ohwell:

Also, do any of you use roller papers?

Mine is never soaking wet either. Maybe it's the Salerm Reconstructor that has your ends crispy. What other products are you using? After washing out my conditioner. I spray in my leave in conditioner and then put on my wrap foam and then put the rollers in.

I don't use the roller papers.

webby

Think Slim
The only thing that will make the ends crispy, crunchy is too much leave-in, especially liquid. I only have this problem if I have too much product in my hair. Also, are you using magnetic rollers? Make sure your ends are wrapped around well, may even have to spritz the ends with water.

Don't worry about your roots not being straight, because you can always blow dry the roots.

sugaplum

Star Shooter
What a great thread. :up:

I have the same problem when I do my rollersets and now I see what the problem is. :ohwell: Too much leave-in on wet hair. :spank:

I also use end wraps when I roll the hair on sponge rollers, but after viewing Lindy's hair album :love: I'm going to try the larger magnetic rollers with clips. :) I use curling cream on my ends and I have no more crunchies. :)

tryn2growmyhair

The Salem reconstructor stuff was liquid. I used it mostly instead of water. I wont do this next time.

What about using Infusion 23, lottabody and water?

L

lkg4healthyhair

tryn2growmyhair said:
The Salem reconstructor stuff was liquid. I used it mostly instead of water. I wont do this next time.

What about using Infusion 23, lottabody and water?

Infusium used to make my ends crispy so I stopped using it. I would think a seeting lotion would do the same.

NTM leave-in makes my hair soft to the touch. I use this and WGO on each section before I roll and it comes out smooth and bouncy. Do you like creamy leave-ins?

divinefavor

I'm going to have to try the NTM cream leave-in. This sounds like it works pretty well, I have heard a lot of people hear talk about it.

onepraying

Healthy Hair Quest..
divinefavor said:
Mine is never soaking wet either. Maybe it's the Salerm Reconstructor that has your ends crispy. What other products are you using? After washing out my conditioner. I spray in my leave in conditioner and then put on my wrap foam and then put the rollers in.

I don't use the roller papers.

I have to agree with divinefavor. The Recon may be the culprit.

However, I've since stopped using a setting lotion/mousse for my sets. My curls are so much softer and they hold too!....:yep: I just wash, add my salerm 21, ego boost to the ends and then add HE to the ends before rolling making sure the ends are slick against the roller. I don't use end papers either.

Oh yeah, when my hair starts drying a little I just spritz it with a moisture mix I created. :grin:

kizzylonghair

Just a suggestion that helped me,

Make sure its soaking wet and have you considered changing rollers.
I used to use the magetic ones and thought there good, but now I use these rollers that are plastic with tiny plastic stick out grooves,( Not Velcro).
Ther are the BOMB they act like tiny little combs when rolling your hair around them. Curls are always bone straight, if you know wot I mean.

Kizzy

brickhouse

When I airdry my rollersets my hair comes out beautifully but if you use too much setting lotion it will make your ends crispy.

tryn2growmyhair

lkg4healthyhair said:
Infusium used to make my ends crispy so I stopped using it. I would think a seeting lotion would do the same.

NTM leave-in makes my hair soft to the touch. I use this and WGO on each section before I roll and it comes out smooth and bouncy. Do you like creamy leave-ins?
Thanks, I have only used NTM for airdrying and they did not work well. :ohwell:
I think I am going to go back to using what I used before, a L'Oreal Iridiance Leave in Foam Conditioner for Fine to Medium Hair. It worked really well for me. I'll use that and distilled water.

Kitkat

I'd suggest using end papers on wet hair, with diluted setting lotion. When I'm not in braids, this works for me. HTH.

Ms Red

stupid question: what do magnetic rollers look like.

the ones i use for my rollersets are black and small-medium (i have short hair) and they are hard plastic with holes in them for ventilation. they come with the snap on covers but i use clips to avoid the indentation. am i using the wrong type of rollers?

tia,
cupcake

ETA: Nevermind, I just looked it up! :ohwell:

Last edited:

pmichael52172

Cupcake, what you describe is what magnetic rollers are. Some have snap on covers, others don't.

As for the end papers, I can't imagine not using them. They play a great role in making my ends smooth (of course with the help of my hair being sopping wet and my leave in.) I have 4a/b hair.

Mizani_Mrs

If you don't mind my asking..... Okay so what exactly is the purpose of the end papers? like explain how/why they are useful for smooth ends? Just curious.... :perplexed

oh yea and I purchased the Milady cosmetology book and it has salon tips and techniques for rollersetting. Ifi learn anything new, I will post this info this weekend as soon as i get a minute to read it!!! :)

pmichael52172 said:
Cupcake, what you describe is what magnetic rollers are. Some have snap on covers, others don't.

As for the end papers, I can't imagine not using them. They play a great role in making my ends smooth (of course with the help of my hair being sopping wet and my leave in.) I have 4a/b hair.

jainygirl

It's imperative that if your ends have dried while setting your hair that you spray them with water so that they lay flat against the roller. All you need is a spray bottle with water to keep your hair damp. If you roll your hair with dry ends the set is gonna come out looking just wrong. I have a few pics and some info in my album on rollersets-- jainygirl

Last edited:

pmichael52172

Well, when I use end papers, I'm personally using them to keep my ends smooth and tangle free. I have 4a/b hair and don't get the best results from using magneting rollers alone like the other sisters. My hair is layered too, so folding the end paper around my ends helps "catch" the layers making a neater set. I definately use them when I flexirod too.

I have wetset my hair without the end papers before but notice my ends get dry quicker as the days go on, even if they are smooth when I first take the rollers out. My hair type could be the culprit. My hair is VERY porous and soaks up a lot, needing good moisture which is why my leave-ins are a must for me. When I get color rinses, they fade a little over time but don't completely rinse out.

Hope this helps.